Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited December 2022

Chris, your neighbor's sleigh is amazing. I LOVE your Grinch. The smile doesn't make him so scary!! I do hope you area feeling better.

GB, really sorry to hear about your husband and the fact you can't take days off after Christmas now. I hope you can enjoy your Christmas despite all of these setbacks.

Carol, sorry to hear about the refrigerator fiasco. The first day I moved into my house 31 years ago my parents were here helping me. The refrigerator went out on a weekend no less. I could have managed by myself but I knew with my parents here it was not going to work so buying and installing a fridge on a weekend was very pricey BUT...........I still have that same fridge after all of these years!!!! I pray that you will still have a wonderful Christmas even though it got a rocky start.

Hershey, I agree. This weather is not fit for anyone but yet here it is!!!! In the heat of a long summer day it will be a distant memory.

My vet called this morning. I was a little down after hearing what all she wanted to do with Cammie. Afterwards I was in Cammie's room and she started to find a place to go to the bathroom and she does understand what "box" is and I kept saying you need to use your box.................drum roll...................and SHE DID. PTL Now if she can keep it going.

I have been trying to get my needed meds from Walgreens and was a bit concerned when they said it was backordered and wouldn't be in until Dec. 26. Well today they called and my meds are ready. Of course they had to wait until the day of the blizzard to fill it!!!! I am really glad to eventually get it.

Have a good day everyone. I know things don't always work out the way we would want them to but when I think of my sponsored child in Ethiopia who lives in a grass covered hut it shakes me back to reality and how blessed I am is so many millions of ways.

Love,

Nancy

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180
    edited December 2022

Wendy I love your snowman and Chris also the reindeer display and Grinch. GB, I am sorry to hear of your husbands emergency surgery and also working while you were expecting a break. Praying that there will be special blessings for you. Nancy, I'm so glad you decided to move the Christmas celebration to a better time and not travel. Also praying that your eye cleared up and your meds come on time and that Cammie keeps using her box. It was -18 this morning with wind chills of -50, you're right Hershey way too cold for anyone to be out, even the poor livestock. Chris, I'm praying that you are feeling better and stronger and enjoy the weekend. Have a blessed Christmas and stay warm and safe.

Love, Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2022

I guess if I am confined to my house I found a fun way to do something constructive. It is so cold here (not as bad as Wheatfields but when it is 40 below or 50 below it is just awful) I had frozen snowflakes on my bedroom window. The sun peaked out for a couple of minutes and with the help of photo editing I got this amazing picture of God's creation. They say every snowflake is unique. So in spite of the danger that those beautiful flakes can make in blizzard conditions they are absolutely amazing looking at them through a different lens.

Wheatfields, I did get my meds. I gingerly drove to Walgreens yesterday and it was really scary as the roads were icy but I managed to get home without incident. Your temp is really dangerous so I hope you are staying inside. My poor little finches were all huddling in one of my bushes. I had considered filling up the feeder but I decided against it. My eye is improved but last night it started feeling strange again. I have had some pretty serious eye infections and if this was going to be that I would know by now so hopefully it will be okay.

Stay safe everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited December 2022

Nancy, your snowflakes are amazing!

I believe we are all experiencing extra cold so stay safe. If my DD and DGD make it in tomorrow night, we will pick them up. Fortunately there is no more snow predicted.

Merry Christmas!

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2022

Thank you Chris. I hope your daughter and Bria make it home safely. I hope you will feel good for Christmas!

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 704
    edited December 2022

Dear friends,

My mom passed last night. It was sudden, she was not alone, and she did not linger.

Mom loved Jesus. I take great comfort in that.

Thank you all for your prayers.

• wheatfields
    edited December 2022

Dear Hershey,

I am so sorry to hear of your mom, and praying for comfort for you and your family as you lean on His everlasting arms. It is a comfort to know that she is with Jesus in Heaven. What a blessed assurance. It is never easy to lose a loved one and we will be lifting you up in prayer. Nancy, the snowflakes are beautiful thank you for sharing. Stay safe and warm everyone.

Love, Wheatfields

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited December 2022

Hersheykiss, I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom. Praying for comfort and peace for you.

Nancy, what a beautiful photo. Glad you are staying safe and sound.

Chris, praying for traveling mercies for your DD and DGD.

My sister arrived at my dad's place last night. We're having good sister time together. Picked up the mini-fridge yesterday to hold us over until the end of January when the new one should be delivered.

Love and Christmas blessings to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2022

Oh Hershey,

I am so sorry to hear of your Mom's passing. May God comfort you and your family in your grief. Knowing she was not alone and that she did not linger is a blessing. The Angels are rejoicing in heaven as she enters eternity with Jesus.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited December 2022

Hershey, I am so sorry for the loss of your Mom. Heaven gained a special light last night. I pray for comfort and solace for you and your family.

My daughter's flight has been delayed...we are praying she still gets to fly home tonight, otherwise it may be a long Christmas for her!

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2022

Carol I am glad you got the fridge situation temporarily under control. It is amazing that you have to wait until the end of January to get the new one installed. Glad you will get some sister time. My sister and I have been texting but that is the best we can do for now. I haven't seen any of my family since last Christmas.

Chris, I really hope your daughter and Bria can get a flight in before Christmas. I know many have been stranded at our Chicago main airport. We have warmed up to 10 degrees real temp. Another wind chill advisory is in effect though. We are at the end of the storm and unfortunately the East is getting battered now. This one will go down in the books for sure.

Be safe everyone. Thanks for your nice comments on my snowflake photo. There were NO more snowflakes on that window today as the sun was brightly shining. In photography you must seize the moment. I suppose that is true in life as well.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2022

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2022

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited December 2022

Hershey, sorry about your mom. :(

• intolight
    edited December 2022

Nancy, how are you doing? I pray you are staying warm and that Cammie is cooperating. How are you feeling? Is your pain gone?

Hershey, continued prayers during this tough time for you.

GB, how is your husband doing?

My daughter ended up having to rent a car and drive home, but she made it in time for us to celebrate Christmas arriving home at 7:00pm after driving the entire way from San Diego. She and my granddaughter waited for their luggage for three hours before leaving. A friend of hers rented the car in town for her while she waited which helped through the hundreds of others who needed a rental car. God was with her and kept her safe through a couple of tough driving situations. During the wait time my seven year-old granddaughter "entertained" other stranded passengers and my daughter said it brought smiles to others. At the end of the evening my granddaughter said it was the best Christmas ever. That in itself is a miracle!

I know there are thousands of stranded passengers everywhere, and we are getting more snow here tonight. I pray your families are safe. If all goes well I will be able to get to the hospital for another treatment scheduled for Friday.

Love and prayers to you all for a blessed New Year. Chris

• hersheykiss
    edited December 2022

Thank you one and all for your prayers. They mean so much to me and to my family.

My mom made arrangements many years ago for her cremation and outdoor service. Given the winter weather, my family and I are planning a springtime service. People will be traveling long distances, and it is unwise and impractical to expect the elderly to attend in the cold and snow.

Chris, I am so glad that your daughter and granddaughter safely made it home on Christmas. How fortunate that they were able to rent a car. There are many reports here of people taking Greyhound buses home because rental cars are so scarce.

Nancy, thank you for the beautiful banner. I hope you are staying warm and your eye has healed.

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2022

Hershey, I am glad your Mom had arrangements in place. That is a blessing. Waiting to have her outdoor service for spring is probably what she had envisioned. You and your family have continued to be in my prayers. I prayed for your Mom so many, many times that I almost feel like she was a part of our little community here. No matter how long we have had our Moms losing them is hard. I thought you would like the sunflower field. Her light will be shining down on you and your memories will become more special as times moves on.

Chris, I am so glad your daughter and granddaughter made it safely home. I have no idea how many hrs that must have been to drive but God looked after them. I had to laugh when you said Bria entertained the stranded passengers. I bet she put on a dance recital of all times. LOL I hope you will be able to get to your treatment on Friday.

Our family will be getting together for a late Christmas celebration on Jan. 7. I am hoping no snow storms or ice are happening when driving for both me and my niece who will be driving from Iowa.

I decided to take the plunge on getting new windows. It is a VERY daunting task for me and I have watched enough YouTube videos months ago and did a crash refresher course for all that I had forgotten. They say winter is the time to buy windows as you might get a better deal. We'll see. I picked the most expensive company to start out with only because they send me so many emails and they have a special supposedly ending this month, I have to have my HOA board approve it so it will probably be spring before it all happens as this process because of Covid and shortages is taking much longer than normal. My chimney repair was supposed to happen on Friday and they called and are coming tomorrow early. UGH I have the window people coming tomorrow as well. I tried my best to avoid two contractors in one day but that didn't happen. It is supposed to be in the 50's tomorrow. Crazy weather for sure.

I sent a message to my surgeon saying this treatment didn't work and made things worse. So he mentioned the next step would be some type of suppository so we'll see. I am back to the awful pain but that is actually better than what I have been through using a stool softener. Sorry for the TMI.

Cammie is not doing well with her litter boxes and I am trying not to go over the edge!!!!!

As we close out 2022. I am always hopeful that the New Year will be new and improved. Let's all pray that will be the case.

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited December 2022

Chris, he's fine! It's been hard because there are many things he normally does around the house that I've been struggling to do. Hopefully the surgeon releases him from restrictions soon.

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2022

Teka, I think the nice thing about getting together on Jan. 7 for Christmas is that there will be no holiday traffic on the roads! I hope you have a wonderful delayed Christmas

Wheatfields, I think you asked me about my eyes and I am not sure if I even said anything. They are not infected but they are reacting to something. It is not anything I am worried about right now. I am still dealing with post surgery issues which is the priority. How are you doing? I hope it has warmed up some since you mentioned your 50 below weather a few days ago.

Chris, I hope you made it to your treatment yesterday with no trouble.

Carol, I hope you are enjoying some sister time and still enjoying family in the desert.

GB, I have been praying for you and your DH and I hope you are both doing ok.

Wendy, how are you doing with your hands and feet issues from your chemo drug.

Hershey, praying for you. It is tough losing a loved one but around the holiday season is especially challenging.

As we close out this 2022 I hope that there were some joys and blessings you will remember more than the challenges.

I am about to buy new windows. The guy that came from Renewal by Andersen was here for 4 1/2 hrs on Thursday. I was about wilted at that point when he left. I am taking time to think on it and he will call me on Monday for the verdict.

I found out my new treatment is a suppository made by a compounding pharmacy way far from my house. I had no idea about any of this. They are putting a rush on it and mailing it to me and hopefully I will get it before I leave on Friday. Of course after I buy new windows I may not be able to afford a stick of gum!!!!!!!!!!!Shocked

Happy New Year to everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2022

• intolight
    edited December 2022

Nancy, you are always so good keeping us all caught up. Thank you for your diligence. I am glad there is a potential solution for you and I pray it will arrive in time. I don't know whether you remember we had new windows put in just before we left San Diego. I loved the final effect and wish we would have had it done sooner. They kept the condo warmer and the noise quieter, and looked lovely. The condo was 50 years old and new windows were really necessary. But yes, they were expensive especially since we lived on the fourth floor. I am sure our renters appreciate them!

Hershey, I continue to pray God grants you comfort and solace as you navigate through this time.

I did make it to my appointment yesterday safely and even had lunch with my brother and sister-in law after, although I am in pain today from the treatment. We received 12 inches of snow in this last storm and of course it is still covering everything. My granddaughter loves it and plays outside in it every chance she gets. Although I miss the warmth of San Diego, I am enjoying the view of the snow from my windows.

I pray everyone has a blessed and safe New Year.

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2023

Chris, I remember all the tenting you had to do but at that time I don't think you knew you were moving. No I didn't remember about the new windows. I am not sure how that worked living on the 4th floor. Yes, your renter are probably loving them. Once I officially take the plunge which will happen when the agent calls me tomorrow then I will have high expectations of keeping heat and cold out depending on the season and quieter would be nice. I'm sorry you are in pain after your treatment. Since the areas on bone are not cancerous is this chemo supposed to shrink these areas? I can imagine that Bria would love the snow. I suppose if I was a kid living in a warm climate my whole life discovering snow would be pretty exciting. Hopefully she won't lose that magic.

Teka, your banner made me laugh out loud. I was home and I did stay up after midnight but I missed the ball dropping by five minutes. LOL Obviously it was not a top priority. We had our share of loud fireworks and I didn't even look outside. However Cammie was NOT amused and ran to hide. Praying your PT is less painful and will help you in the long run.

I pray that 2023 will be a year of blessing and promise to everyone. Our church is attempting to have the whole church on a read through the Bible in a year program. I actually started a few days earlier and was feeling so great that I was ahead of the calendar until I noticed there was a whole other column that I didn't realize I was supposed to be reading also, so now I am scrambling to hopefully catch up. When they said at church today that it would take ten minutes a day I am thinking for me I don't think so. LOL A speed reader I have never been.

Have a great start to a New Year.

Love,

Nancy

• wheatfields
    edited January 2023

Happy New Year to everyone, and praying that it will be a year filled with many blessings for each of you! Hershey, praying for your comfort and peace during this difficult time in the loss of your mom. Nancy, praying that you are feeling better each day and that Cammie is using her box. Teka, praying that you continue your good progress with your knee, and Chris, praying that you are feeling better and stronger each day and still enjoying the snow view from your windows. And Carol, I'm praying that you are enjoying the desert yet with family. It's snowing heavily here today and by Wednesday we're supposed to have up to 14 inches, but expecting lots of wind with it tomorrow. The temperatures have been up to 30 at times, so that feels much better than way below 0. I had to cancel the MO appointment again for tomorrow and moved it to Friday, so hopefully we will get there by then. It's just a consultation appointment, or 6 month check up. Fortunately, the mammograms are always in the summer when the weather is good. Have a blessed belated Christmas celebration on the 7th (Nancy and Teka)!

Love, Wheatfields

• sunshine99
    edited January 2023

I think I missed some posts. We're back home and trying to catch up with mail and other stuff. Hubby's bank was acquired by another bank, so essentially he has a new employer, which means a new benefit package. He spent part of this morning trying to get his/our health insurance info so that I could update my medical chart. It's kind of a pain but I'm thankful we have insurance.

Nancy, I hope your meds come quickly. I prefer to have my meds delivered. I had ordered my Arimidex refill and scheduled delivery for Thursday of this week. It was actually delivered yesterday, which I didn't want, because we were still in the desert. It sat on our front porch and thankfully it was still there when we got home last night. I could have asked one of our neighbors to grab it for me, but I've been asking them to grab other stuff while we were gone and didn't want to impose on them. This drug isn't expensive, but I didn't want to lose it.

Anyway, all is well. I'm bundled up in my cold house. It's 58 degrees in my kitchen. I have a space heater by my computer, but my hands are cold and it's hard to type. I can't have more than one cup of coffee, or I get really shaky.

That's about it for now. I hope everyone is having a good (uneventful) New Year.

Love and hugs,

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2023

Wheatfields, I hope you can make it to your apt on Friday. You get much more snow than we do it sounds like. Glad it has warmed up to 30.

Carol, I am glad you made it home. Your inside temp doesn't sound very comfortable. I hope your space heater keeps you warm. I receive a ton of supplements by mail and I am always concerned if they are either sitting out in the hot sun or the cold temps. Hopefully your Arimidex will be fine. I have new health insurance now too so I am holding my breath to see how they will be so I get it regarding all the changes. I hope your DH's new employer will be a good fit for him.

I do have a prayer request. I feel like I am getting sick. Yesterday I feel nauseated most of the day. Today I was coughing quite a bit but I think it was more sinus drainage than anything. I just don't feel great. I really don't want to miss our postponed Christmas gathering which I had planned to leave on Friday. I will probably take a Covid test but I want to wait just a little bit first. I haven't seen my family for over a year and I would really hate to miss this but my sister and her husband have some serious issues and definitely don't want to expose them to something either. I know it is only Tuesday but I would appreciate your prayers for healing.

Have a good day everyone. Thank you for your prayers for me and for Cammie. She used her box yesterday but I was in the room when she went encouraging her to use her box. If our pets could only talk and let us know what is really going on!!!!

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    edited January 2023

Wheatfields, I hope you are able to see your doctor on Friday. Fourteen inches of snow is a lot! Does someone clear your driveway and sidewalks for you?

Nancy, I hope you feel better soon and are able to leave on Friday. Have you received the estimate for your new windows? I'm happy that Cammie is using her litterbox. That has got to be a relief for you.

Carol, I'm glad you have a space heater nearby. Fifty-eight degrees is quite chilly when one is seated for any length of time.

My mother's ashes are expected to arrive today. My family and I need to talk more about a date for her service. My brother and I are leaning toward either the first or second week in May.

• intolight
    edited January 2023

Carol, so glad you made it home but it does sound like you need to bundle up!

Wheatfields, praying you make it to your appointment on Friday.

Hershey, I remember the day my mom's ashes arrived--it was bittersweet. Praying for you today.

Nancy, I am praying you are not getting sick. I know how much you want to celebrate with your family Friday. I am still also praying for your pain relief, and that Cammie will decide to use her box like she is supposed to.

It is snowing right now, again, and is 22*. I just stay inside but feel sorry for those who have to navigate the snowy/icy roads. We have had about 16 inches in the last few days. Bria loves it and keeps going outside sledding down our little hill. The puppy loves it too but she got groomed today so her hair is short. We tried paw booties but she won't leave them on. She plays outside and then runs into the house and jumps on my well-blanketed lap. It is a good thing I don't panic about the floors! I don't feel well but I will manage. I am still in pain after my treatment last Friday. Hopefully it will let up soon and I can take down the Christmas decorations...

Stay warm everyone!

• wheatfields
    edited January 2023

Hi ladies,

Nancy, I'm praying that you are feeling better today and in perfect health by Friday to have a Christmas celebration. Hershey, yes I live in a condo and townhome place where they take care of snow removal. I'm praying for you during this time and for your comfort and encouragement. Carol, I hope you are warming up from 58 degrees in the house. Chris, praying that you are feeling better each day and stronger. I thought of Bria top and how she would love all this snow. We are still digging out and some of the roads are starting to open but travel is rough on some yet so I'm not totally sure about Friday. It's about 80 miles for us and part of it is interstate, but this whole corner of SD (San Diego 😉) no, South Dakota really got covered. Praying for you all!

Love, Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2023

Thank you all for praying for me. I do feel better. I have been doing the Windows deal online and it has been pretty crazy. I told the agent I might be getting sick and he suggested doing it online. It was a bit complicated and I am waiting on him to be done with another client to send me the contract. My computer still isn't working right and my printer decided it was not going to work when I needed it. A little stressful!

My suppositories came and have to be refrigerated. UMMM This is very pricey as it is only a 15 day supply. Shocked

Hershey, I hope that you and your family can decide on arrangements for your Mom's memorial and for her ashes. I am sure that was not easy getting them yesterday. Yesterday I was on the phone with a good friend who had just lost his wife. We had made plans so I could visit her in the assisted living facility after I got back from downstate. Well that of course didn't happen. Life is so difficult during loss. I am continuing to pray for you and your family.

Wheatfields, I figured you lived in SD from something you said quite a while back. I do hope you get to your apt. on Friday. I live in a townhouse too but we do not have snow services so I pay my neighbor now to do it for me.

I need to sign off. I am sitting here with wet hair. Crazy day.

Have a good day everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    edited January 2023

Wheatfields, you almost got me with the SD thing. I'm glad you live where they take care of snow removal. Not much need of that in my SD (San Diego)!

Nancy, I'm glad you got your meds. I hope they work for you. Our printer also was kind of on the blink. It wouldn't connect from the computer, but I could print off my phone. Turns out my computer decided to switch WiFi networks. No idea why, but once I switched it back, everything worked again.

To all my other lovely ladies, I wish you a peaceful day,

Carol