Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872

Remember those who died to make our country free.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone. Wheatfields, your rhubarb pie sound delicious. Have fun at your gathering.

GB, I think you need to voice your concerns with your doctor and hopefully make them listen. I know, no small feat. Your Bluebirds sound so fun to watch and so beautiful. I am having fun with all my birds but especially the hummingbirds.

Chris, how are you feeling?

Thinking of all of you today.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331

Nancy, thank you for the information on the supplements. Enjoy your hummingbirds.

GB, your rhubarb pie sounds delicious. Glad you can get out and socialize. Enjoy your bludbirds. Unfortunately we found remains of dead birds when they demolished our deck last week. We have no idea how long they had been there. Hopefully our new design will be better for watching out for those things. I will be praying your Zoladex goes much better. I am learning to be more assertive with these things so I would not hesitate to let your oncologist know your concerns. I had both my Faslodex shots and Zometa infusion on Friday, so on top of everything else, I have aches and pains from those, but I am used to that. I had my sleep study last night so I am a little tired today, but not bad. I was able to sleep so that is good. They started me off with no oxygen but that only lasted about 10 minutes. I guess I will have a permanent tether… I am feeling a little better everyday. I am still weak and have pain but it is diminished. Wednesday I have a PET scan and then no appointments until the end of June. Wow, how did that happen!!!

My DH is out playing with his HAM radio buddies, my DD is asleep as she worked last night and again tonight, so I have DGD duty. She is old enough I don't have to do much so that helps. Today will be quiet and just another day for us. But I do have a nephew who just retired after 20 years in the Air Force and is now on his way home from Germany, and of course many Veterans in my family so we are flying our flag and being thankful for our heritage. Chris

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553

Well, my haircut and my zoladex shot got cancelled because of what I assume is a cold (sore throat and low fever, which is how my colds usually start). I'm waiting for the oncology scheduler to call me back. I'm coming up on a vacation so the timing of all of this concerns me.

• intolight

gb, so sorry to hear you are coming down with a cold. I will pray it is mild and you get things rescheduled quickly.

• bandwoman1234

Chris,

I am glad you are feeling better each day. I hope your Pet scan goes well on Wed. I hope you enjoy your new deck. My neighbors whose house is attached to mine had a major deck repair. I am not really sure why they were power washing it over a two day period but they did. My patio is next to their deck with a hedge in between. My patio got blasted with what ever they had in their power washing and I am praying it was only water but I am afraid it was chemicals as well. One of my new patio doors which was crystal clear and clean got blasted and I have not be out to wash it off. Also several of my plants also got hit and by the time I realized it I ran out and moved them out of the way and praying no damage to either my patio door or my flowers. My neighbors said nothing to me but were probably oblivious as they were working in their garden.

Chris, I am really sorry that it looks like you will be on oxygen. I know that has to be a disappointment. Congratulations to your nephew on 20 yrs in the Air Force.

It was a quiet day for me today too. In fact I haven't even been outside. Our heat wave hit and I just stayed inside doing laundry and catching up on matters requiring talking to customer service people. I will have to go outside and water my flowers before the night is over.

GB, I do hope you don't get down sick especially with a vacation coming up. Sorry that you had to cancel your apts. I love hearing about your bluebirds. I had a Blue Jay at my birdbath a few days ago. They are a beautiful blue but tend to be a nuisance and bullies at the feeders so I am glad they are not regular visitors. I would love to have Bluebirds.

Carol, how are you doing? I know you have some tests coming up. I know this has got to be a lot to deal with. Is your PT still going on?

Teka, I love your flowers and I would like to "borrow' your cat statue……….permanently. LOL I think I am done with buying and planting flowers but I still have two fountains to get up. I was all ready to do that on Wed and then thunderstorms blew in and again today and possibly tomorrow. It is too hot to do that anyway. Glad you are back and glad to hear your scans were NED. Is your container in front of the cat a mock rose plant by chance? I had them one year in the ground and the greenery looks similar.

Hershey, I hope your DH found some suitable vitamins.

Wheatfields, I bet your Rhubarb pie was a hit at your gathering!!!! How are you doing with your pain issues?

I hope everyone has a good night.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight

Nancy, you are always so on top of things. Know you are greatly appreciated on this thread! I am so sorry to hear your neighbors harmed your deck. That is so inconsiderate of them. I hope your plants are ok. I can't wait until my deck is finished so I can fix our landscaping. The workers work everyday so at least we hired a good company.

My PET scan showed no active cancer, Praise the Lord, but it did show pneumonia in my lungs. My oncologist picked up on it quickly and already called me and called in a prescription. At least it helps explain why I still feel so poorly. My husband, daughter and granddaughter left today for three days for a short camping trip but my next door neighbor and SIL are watching out for me while they are gone. I encouraged them to go. Resting alone for a few days will help as I tend to struggle with not helping the family, and they have been planning this trip for a long time. Also the results from my sleep study came in and shows my oxygen drops very low when I sleep so it is another affirmation that I need extra oxygen.

Carol, gb, Wheatfields, I continue to pray for you. It is comforting to know we have sucha good support group here.

Love, Chris

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180

Teka, I love your pictures, so very pretty and the little cat and turtle too! Chris, I'm glad you are feeling somewhat better each day, praying for good scans and results. GB I am sorry about the cancellations and an oncoming cold. I'm praying that its a mild one and disappears completely in time for vacation! Hershey, praying that you have the vitamin information that you need and find exactly the right combination for you and your DH. Nancy, we're continuing to pray for you as you manage all things about a home and yard. Also, for Cammie. The rhubarb pie was quite popular, I did put some extra rhubarb up in the freezer for later desserts. However, I would like a piece of that chocolate cake that Hershey made for Carol :) I have a contrast mammogram coming up next Thursday, and usually feel stressful about that every time, and then more so because of the contrast. I remember all those years I used to think nothing of a mammogram and thought it was at least "one thing I could do" because it involved no needles. I still have some rib pain and a little weakness in the wrist and pain from the fall but it has lessened. I'm starting to do some "balance" exercises which may help me some. I've never had good balance because of the hearing loss, but even more so as I get older. Praying for each of you dear ladies.

Love, Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234

Chris, thank you for your kind words. I thought your PET scan was this coming Wed it sounds like you had it yesterday. That is good news of no active cancer but the pneumonia is concerning. That must be why you have felt so awful. I have only had it once and I was so sick so no wonder you have not felt well. I am glad your MO was on it quickly and that you now have meds to treat it. I think you had hoped to go on this camping trip with them but I hope you may be able to join them on another future trip. I am glad you have a neighbor and your SIL looking in on you. Please take care and I pray that the rest you will have will be just what you need. It was my neighbors workers that were building the new deck. Actually the head guy the first day came over to my patio and used his power washer to get all the dirt of of my patio that had been sprayed. Then as soon as he was finished I am not sure if it was another worker sprayed it all back on my patio again. UGH I am afraid it is just the nature of living in a townhouse with houses attached. We have only two attached so it doesn't really feel much different that a single family home. At any rate I will try to get out there tomorrow and wash the patio door and hopefully no chemicals hurt it. I will be praying for you while your family is away.

Wheatfields, we will be praying for your contrast mammogram coming next Thursday. Is this an MRI? I am not sure if I have heard of a contrast mammogram. We know your fear of needles so we will be praying hard against that fear. I'll have a piece of Hershey's chocolate cake and and some rhubarb pie. In my dreams… as I am not supposed to have either.

Take care dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 703

Nancy, it sounds like there is a lot of work going on next door. I hope that the laborers return to clean up your patio and door. My husband uses a power washer from time to time, but water only is sprayed (no chemical additives). I'm hoping the laborers did the same and caused no damage to your new door or plantings.

Chris, your oncologist is really on the ball. Pneumonia is no joke, and the antibiotics will help you heal and feel so much better.

Wheatfields, I will be praying for a most uneventful procedure on Thursday. I've not heard or read about a contrast mammogram. Is it a CT scan?

Teka, pretty flower boxes and pots. My goodness, 94 degrees! It's too early for that high of temperature!

GB, was the scheduler able to help with a follow-up appointment?

My doctor placed an order for vitamin D testing. (Thank you, Nancy, for suggesting the blood work!) That needs to be done before seeing her at the end of the month and choosing a multivitamin.

I hope everyone has a peaceful, relaxing weekend!

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Good morning, ladies!

Chris, I hope you are feeling better. I’m glad to hear about the no cancer, but sorry you have pneumonia. I agree that it helps to know why you’ve been feeling yucky.

Nancy, I’m sorry your neighbors made a mess with their deck-washing. We used to have a neighbor, when we lived in a condo, who had a big bougainvillea plant. She was a neat freak (but super nice) and would sweep both of our patios. Her husband would say, “Hey, they might not like you sweeping their patio!” We’d laugh, thank her, and tell her to sweep away.

I’m finished with PT. I think it helped. I had my scans and bloodwork in preparation for my appointment with my MO on Monday. Scans showed “something” in my lungs and esophagus. I have an appointment for a swallow study and made an appointment with the pulmonologist. Swallow study is on the 13th, and I’ll see the pulmonologist on the 26th.

Love and prayers to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234

Hershey, I remember this happening when I was much younger and not the same owners involved. I was actually driving home from teaching summer band. My parents were up visiting for a week. I saw my flowers getting blasted. I can only say that when I finished with the worker he probably thought he got blasted. LOL

I am older, wiser and maybe more patient and understanding of the situation. I don't think it is feasibly possible to power wash their deck without hitting my property. Yes, I should have spoken up this time. The workers will be here for a while as they are doing much needed work on their house. I am waiting on an AC guy to come and then will venture out and wash my patio door and pray no damage has been done.

Carol, I am really sorry to hear of the findings in your lungs and esophagus. Hopefully your MO will have some solutions and I really do hope something can be done for your swallowing problems. Prayers for you now for peace in the midst of the storm. Maybe I could borrow that neighbor who used to have that swept your patio. 😉

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
  • sunshine99

Nancy, I think my neighbor and her husband moved to Arizona. I hope your situation doesn't get worse and that your AC situation gets resolved.

I'm having trouble typing on my laptop. I think I'll call it quits for now…

• bandwoman1234

Carol,

I imagine a commute from AZ to IL might be a bit much for your former neighbor. LOL

My AC is fine. It was just my annual tune up. I am trying to build up some courage to go outside and deal with my patio door clean up. I have been like a slug the last several days. There has been an air quality alert along with the heat so that is not a good combo for me. I couldn't figure out a few days ago when I was doing some weeding why I kept coughing out of the blue. I believe it was the air. The Canadian fires have blown into our area. The only positive is that it has created some gorgeous sunsets.

I am praying for you as you go through this tough time. I am glad your PT is over so you won't have those apts to deal with.

Teka, I said mock rose. DUH! I meant moss rose. Yes, those are the ones I planted one summer. That had to have been years ago because the area I had them is almost full shade now. My "new" trees as of 32 yrs ago have grown!! Those are beautiful in your rustic flower box.

I guess if your daughter gave you the cat statue I won't asked to "borrow" it. 😺 I have a curled up cat statue. One of the neighbor boys stood on it right in front of me!!!!! It broke after that. He is a nice boy but still does things without thinking. Of course at my age I do many things without thinking.

Chris, how are you feeling. Praying you are getting much better. Are you enjoying the quiet time as your family is off camping?

Have a good weekend everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited June 2023

I'm feeling better (still coughing) and was able to get my shot yesterday. Thankfully that was uneventful!

Unfortunately the earliest I could schedule my curly cut was July. I'm going to start looking a wee bit shaggy, lol. Hopefully it won't get too out of control.

• bandwoman1234

GB, I am glad you are feeling better. So glad to hear your shot was uneventful. My AI, we think, caused my hair to straighten which I was thrilled about. LOL It is getting back to a little more curl now. I wish I could give you some of mine!

I feel like some of us need this banner today.

Praying for you dear sisters today.

Love,

Nancy

• wheatfields

Hi Ladies,

Nancy, thank you for the lovely banner, we're praying for you and that your deck and patio door are all back to normal and that Cammie is doing well. Also, for you breathing the unhealthy air from the fires. Carol, praying for your appointments coming up and Chris, that you continue to feel better from having pneumonia. And GB so glad to hear that you are feeling better and injection was uneventful. Praying too for Hershey and Teka. Thank you for your prayers, the contrast mammogram is done every other year and they put an IV in and inject contrast, then do a regular mammogram. It enables them to see so much better I guess especially in dense breast tissue. Would you also pray for my sister and BIL, she has reached a point in the dementia progress that she can be quite angry with him, and he has had some health issues, so the complex where they are living suggested she come over to the care center which is attached for a couple weeks for therapy (complete evaluation with PT). So this started yesterday, and he was talking to me on the phone last night very discouraged because they said initially not to answer his phone when she calls and he tried but after the fifth time he answered and of course she was very upset and angry with him. She and I talk every night but with me she is quite pleasant but did tell me he just dumped her over there. It's just such a heartbreaking situation. She just cannot reason very well anymore. Thank you so much for your prayers!

Love, Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234

Dear Wheatfields,

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through with your sister now. I feel for your BIL as he comes out the bad guy in her eyes. I remember how angry my Mom was with me when I talked my sister and my Mom into going for a geriatric evaluation initially. There is just no easy way of maneuvering through the maze of phases and emotions that may come out of nowhere. I remember leaving my Mom's facility on some nights and praising God all the way to her home where I stayed when visiting when there were good times. I think that is the way to approach this by leaving it all in God's hands and asking for wisdom and direction in the journey. Your BIL might want to find a caregiver's support group if he feels like he needs that. If I had not been going through my cancer journey I would have benefited from that. I will definitely pray for you and your sister and BIL knowing how very difficult this journey is.

Thank you for your prayers for me and Cammie. She has another weigh in tomorrow at the vet.

Take care.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight

Wheatfields, I am praying for you, your BIL and sister. It is not an easy decision to leave a loved one in someone else's care. I understand having gone through similar emotions and reactions with my mother-in-law. She came for a visit and we never let her fly back home (long and involved story.) We kept her for two years in our home until it was no longer possible or safe. But eventually God sent His peace and I know He will intercede for you also. It was the best decision we made and she ended up blessing other's in the home even though she wasn't in control of her thoughts.

I am still battling the pneumonia although I think I finally have success in getting a mini oxygen concentrator. This should be resolved by the week's end just in time for my son's family's visit next week. Thank you for asking.

Chris

• bandwoman1234

Chris,

I am sorry to hear that your are still battling pneumonia but I hope your oxygen device will help you even though I am not sure what that is. I do hope you will feel good when your son comes to visit.

Teka, I hope you will keep an eye on your tick bite. I imagine you live nears some woods. I just got back from my haircut too. Your strawberry plant looks amazing. I am not sure if it is your daughter's or if she gave it to you but I hope someone enjoys the produce. Having it in a hanging basket is smart even though the way our chipmunks can do acrobatics I am not sure if they would be deterred by a hanging basket.

My neighbors who I have shared are having much needed outside renovations to their house by the owner who is an inlaw. It was bad enough when I had to clean off my patio door and some of my siding because of their power washing and blasting my patio door and some of my flowers and my patio recently. I had just got it all clean and then a couple of days later I noticed brown spots all over my patio door. That was the color of stain they used on their improved deck. I went out yesterday to try Windex on it and the spots that were all over the tract, the trim and the glass would not come off. It was an afternoon I hope I will never have to repeat. I texted the owner and told him I had washed my patio door after it got blasted and I didn't say a word to anyone. Then I told him about the paint spots all over and that I was NOT happy and that I expected his workers to come back and fix it but I had to call the company and see what solutions and products could be safely used. That took a very long time as I was transferred to different depts . This is an interesting and maybe helpful trick. They told me that Crest toothpaste (the paste not the gel) might work. I told the lady next to me about it and she came right over. She got her steamer and between the toothpaste, the steamer and a toothbrush she worked for maybe 45min and got it all off. I told her she should send a bill to the owner. I was really having trouble letting go of my anger which was because of another issue regarding the owner so by evening I just prayed for the owner and tried to release all of my negative emotions to God. What would be do without Him.

I am praying for those of you who I know are facing big challenges. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

Love,

Nancy

• wheatfields

Hi Ladies,

Thank you for your prayers, everything including the IV went well Thursday and I got home with a good report. Praising the Lord! Praying for you Nancy, and the frustrating situation with the neighbors and that everything would be smoothed out and clean with an understanding from them. Also, praying that you are feeling better Chris, and that the pneumonia is subsiding and you are able to get the oxygen you need. Teka, I like the hanging strawberry plant and it's so pretty! Praying for everyone a blessed weekend!

Love, Wheatfields

• hersheykiss

Nancy, I'm so sorry that you and your neighbor were left to clean the new patio door. How disappointing that the workers didn't take more care in spraying the deck stain. I hope you've received a reply and an apology from the owner by now. You are so right … What would we do without Jesus?

Wheatfields, dementia is such a difficult diagnosis and so sad for families. I am praying for you, your BIL, and your sister.

Chris, I hope you are feeling better today. Enjoy the visit with your son and his family next week!

Carol, how are you doing?

Teka, the strawberries look delicious!

I had made an appointment for my annual physical, but when I checked in at the clinic I was handed a sheet of paper entitled "Wellness Visit." A medical assistant took my temperature, weight, and blood pressure. She updated my immunization records, and the doctor discussed my medications. That was it: no labs, no listening to my heart, no checking my eyes or throat, no breast exam. The entire appointment lasted approximately 15 to 20 minutes. When I checked out, I asked about scheduling my physical. The receptionist said, "You've just had your annual visit. We can't schedule you for one year." I left feeling a bit confused and frustrated and wondering if this process is regular and routine for Medicare patients.

Wishing everyone a peaceful, stress-free weekend.

• intolight

Hershey, I would be stunned too. That was not the case for me on my annual visit and I too am a Medicare patient. My doctor was very thorough. Of course you can still go in for other things and have them do the rest. I sometimes think my oncologist office is more thorough…

Carol, I am praying for your swallow study next week, and Wheatfields for your mammogram. Teka, Nancy, Jean and Gb, I am praying for you also. I know we have a couple of newer people who have joined us and I can't remember your names but God knows who you are. Please know we include you in our prayers when we can. God cares about all our troubles and wants us to have an abundant life filled with family, friends, lovely flowers and beautiful creatures.

I am feeling better…thanks for asking. The pneumonia seems to be gone. I took a spa bath yesterday (we have an inhome jet tub I had never used) and it is amazing how much improved it made me feel. The pain was almost gone and is still improved today. It was tough getting in and out so we are devising a way to make it easier and plan on repeating this every day I can. I do not use community or multi-people use jacuzzi tubs because of immuno-compromised issues, and do miss them. But this just may be my solution. I am so excited for my family to visit next week and am thankful God is helping me feel better for their visit.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.
    Love, Chris

• bandwoman1234

Wheatfields, I am so glad to hear that your IV went well and that you got a good report. I am going to have to ask about this type of mammogram as I have never heard of it. Did you have this done in a hospital?

Hershey, I don't have a complete physical for my wellness exam as I have specialists who do a breast exam etc. They usually have me fill out a lot of questions which I can do before hand on MyChart. They want to know if you need help dressing yourself and that kind of thing. My nurse does a quick test to see if my memory is intake. The doctor does check my heart and my lungs. I have to have a complete blood work up before hand as well. So yes, it sounds like you got short changed. If you have a way to message your doctor I believe I would be asking about that.

Chris, our spa bath sounds like a miracle. I am so glad you have that and can possibly use it daily. I know you are excited for your son and family coming in and I am so glad you are feeling better. I have been praying for that.

Carol, know you are prayed for and on our minds.

GB, I hope you have a relaxing weekend.

Teka, enjoy your flower beds and watch out for those ticks!!!

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99

Good morning, ladies. After finally falling asleep at 1:58 AM (according to my Fitbit) I woke up at around 9:41. I don’t think I’ve ever slept that late.

Hershey, what’s with the physical? That makes no sense not to listen to your heart and lungs and to order labs. Is this a Medicare thing? I hope not.

Chris, I’m glad you’re feeling better. Have you tried Epsom salts? I did recently. I’m not a big bath person, but I did try the salts and I enjoyed it. I don’t know that I noticed a big difference in my aches and pains or better sleep, but it was still nice. We have a regular, not jetted, tub. Getting out of the tub is not too bad right now but grab bars may be in our future.

Wheatfields, I’m glad, too, that your IV went well. I always hope that the person with the needle is a good “sticker.” My last blood draw was at the clinic at the end of the day. Guy who stuck me really hurt me and the needle hurt the whole time it was in. Four vials of blood, which is my usual. My arm hurt for several hours after that. I think I’ll go back to my “regular hours” blood draws. At least the infusion room nurse didn’t hurt me as much. It took her a couple of tries, but it still hurt less than the blood draw.

Nancy, good info on the annual physicals. I haven’t been to my PCP since I found the lump that preceded the Stage IV diagnosis. I think I’ve messaged her a few times. She’s a great doctor and I do like both her and her PA. My DH has been to see her a few times and is also happy with her.

My swallowing eval is on Tuesday of next week. When I couldn’t sleep last night, I was looking up esophageal wall thickening and Dr. Google said it could be cancer. Go away, Dr. Google! Why did I even ask??? I did try eating some broccoli yesterday and couldn’t get it down. One tiny piece and my esophagus seized up. Then I got the hiccups. That seems to be my routine.

I will see the pulmonologist at the end of the month and then the GI doc and the end of August. I’ll have a brain EEG on the 21st of this month. Did I mention that I’m getting tired of cancer?

I apologize for not responding to more posts, but I do read them.

It’s a “June Gloom” overcast day here in San Diego. DH is going to take me for a drive somewhere later today. I’m looking forward to it. I’ve been working on baby blankets. One down, one almost finished and two more to start and finish. Lots of babies due at the end of August. Is this a new trend?

Love to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234
  • hersheykiss

Nancy, thank you for describing your wellness visits. I did ask my doctor about having labs done, and she replied that they weren't necessary as I am considered to be "healthy" and current on my preventive care (mammogram and vaccines). An endocrinologist supervises my Prolia injections and orders minimal labs every 6 months. I will ask her at my next appointment about the possibility of her ordering the CBC and CMP tests instead.

Carol, I'm thinking that having Medicare drives the wellness visit and its conditions. The "Wellness Visit" paper I was provided did specify that the clinic codes the appointment according to Medicare guidelines.

Chris, I'm so happy that the spa bath is helpful. My husband uses Epsom salts in a regular tub bath if he pulls a muscle or his skin is itchy. If your tub has jets, check with the spa manufacturer first about adding Epsom salts to your bath water. Enjoy!

• bandwoman1234

Carol, it sounds like you have been busy making baby blankets. I was an August baby but don't know if that was a thing back in the day. LOL We are all praying for you. My BIL not too long ago had an upper endoscopy because he was having swallowing problems and it was nothing serious. Praying that will be the case for you as well.

Hershey, I am still very surprised at your doctor's reaction to the blood work. I have had so many health issues that maybe I am not considered healthy. When I saw my alt. doc he would have lots of labs every six months and that was to help prevent anything that could crop up. It is a blessing to be considered healthy so rest in that assurance.

Off to church. Have a wonderful Sunday dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99

Thank you, Nancy, for posting that scripture. It brought tears to my eyes (in a good way) because it reminded me that I am not alone in this.

Love to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234

Carol, a dear friend knitted me a small pot holder and attached that verse to it when I was going through my bc treatments. I have had it on my fridge for 9 yrs and I still look at that verse when I am going through a difficult time.

You are not alone! You have God and you have us. I know you have your community of family and friends as well.

That waiting period is definitely the hardest and I pray that the time will go quickly so you will know soon have results and answers. I need to scroll back but for some reason when you mentioned your swallowing test quite some time ago I thought it was on the 23rd. I will be praying for it.

Love,

Nancy