Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Options

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,757
    Options

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for your prayers. I have been praying the same for you too. I feel bad that you don't feel well most of the time. I will continue to pray for you too. I was actually praying for your scans and I mis read and thought you had said the 19th but I see it is the 16th. Praying for good news. I did see quite a bit of improvement today with my bathroom issues. When we get to heaven we will understand the whys of all of our questions regarding prayers that seem to go unanswered.

Love,

Nancy

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 164
    Options

Hershey, yes we have blizzard conditions and dangerous wind chills now for a few days. It's almost impossible to measure the snow with all the wind, but it looks like a lot more, they are saying we had about 9 more inches. I've kind of lost count now, and was wishing I lived in a place where people run out to take a picture of it because it could be gone in an hour or so. We will have it until spring for sure. My friends, scan came back fine and so we are still sitting at square one. Because of the weather I may have to move my AZ trip up to February. I'm hesitant to try driving 90 miles to the airport in bitter cold conditions and leave the car sit and then return after dark. I might re think my schedule.

Nancy, I pray that you are feeling better and safe in all the snow and cold. My last OT was supposed to be today but was cancelled, I may be able to work in an appointment on Monday.

Chris, we will be praying for you especially on the 16th and for a good report.

Carol, so glad you are moving right along through the radiation and pray that you are feeling better.

Praying for each of you.

Love, Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Wheatfields, I was wondering if you were going to have to postpone your trip. I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to be driving in this frigid weather and then have to leave your car parked in the cold. I'm really sorry this storm had to hit at the same time as your trip. Are you still able to talk to your sister on the phone regularly? When you get test results that your friend received it is always a mixed blessing. You don't want anything to show up but yet you just want some answers. I pray she will get some answers soon.

I hope you have seen improvement with your OT sessions. I had hand therapy many years ago and I found it to be very helpful.

Carol, I know you had a big day with several apts yesterday and I hope you are doing okay. You are more than halfway through the treatments now I am thinking. Continued prayers for you.

I hope all of you dear sisters stay safe. From my understanding everyone of the 49 states has some kind of weather concerns. I have been blessed that my neighbors have shoveled for me. Our first round of snow was really wet and my tiny little neighbor did most of that shoveling. I prepaid them last year for the whole season and after I did that we got NO snow. I had paid them in December last year and we had a cold snap with quite a bit of snow. So this year it has been a bit awkward for me to know what to say to them. I ended up getting sick and said nothing. I realize if you are contracting with a snow removal company if you pay for the whole season some seaons you win and some you lose because the unused money doesn't count for the next season. With neighbors I would like to think it doesn't work that way. I think I am hoping they will say something but I don't think that is going to happen. For a couple of years I had a guy that only charged $15 per snow event and the poor guy made such little money he finally found another job. We have not had a lot of snow for a few years.

Have a good night eveyone. I am praying for each and every one of you.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    Options

I hope everyone is staying safe and warm. Wow, what a time. I am so thankful for a heated house and power. I know some on not as fortunate. We still have dangerous windchills through Tues I think. I didn't have anything else to do so I built six snowmen and women. LOL Of course I am kidding!!!

I hope everyone is doing okay.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Here is one of Martin Luther King Jr's quotes regading kindness.

“Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others? '” “Those who are not looking for happiness are the most likely to find it, because those who are searching forget that the surest way to be happy is to seek happiness for others.”

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 659
    Options

Nancy, I'm so very glad that you have heat and power. I hope you haven't had to venture out in such frigid weather conditions.

Wheatfields, I've been praying that you and your friend are safe and warm. You are prudent to consider postponing your trip for a month. A 90-mile winter drive through wide open spaces can be very treacherous.

Chris, has Colorado Springs received much snow and cold temperatures? I do hope that you are feeling better and staying warm.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Hershey, yes I am so grateful to be inside safe and sound. I am hoping to get outside tomorrow as I need to mail some important documents and cards.

I hope everyone is doing okay.

I wish I could send this photo I took on Saturday but it would have to be to your cellphones to be able to zoom in. The temps were frigid on Saturday as they have been all weekend. I was standing at my kitchen sink and I was shocked to see a small flock of robins eating my berries from one of my younger crabapple trees. I know one of my friends who grew up in this area talked of wintering robins so I don't know if that was what I saw or a sign that spring is around the corner. Hard to imagine the last one being the case! I watched this one robin staying put when the others flew off and it was all puffed up trying to keep warm. The poor things. I don't know how they survive in these temps.

Have a good night everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,176
    Options

@hersheykiss Yes, Colorado Springs has been in the negative numbers the past few days. We have a couple of inches of snow on the ground, but it has warmed up a bit today to a balmy 28° today. Yippee! Thanks for asking. I am feeling pretty good (for me) although I woke with lots of leg pain, but I braved the cold to go out for my CT scan this morning. We are home now and staying warm although it is a chore to keep the house warm. It is big with high ceilings, but we know how to deal with it. Right now I am sitting in my recliner in front of the fireplace, snuggled under a blanket watching British TV recovering from my outing. It is how I roll!

Praying everyone is recovering from the latest struggles and staying warm.

• intolight
    Options

Good afternoon. I just received the results from my CT scan today: No evidence of metastatic disease of the chest, abdomen and pelvis. Praise God! Of course the CT scan is not as detailed as a PET, but it would show anything suspicious. I have no message from my oncologist yet, but I will see her on Thursday. That is 7 1/2 years from first diagnosis of Stage IV so I battle on! Praying for similar good news for others.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,057
    Options

That is wonderful news, @intolight! Thank you for sharing it with us. Are you doing anything to celebrate the results? :)

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Chris, that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am doing a Happy Dance "in my mind" right now!!!

Praise God for 28 degrees. We are still in the deep freeze but rain is forecast for next week. I never thought I would be happy about rain in winter but I am now.

I just finished my Zoom Bible study. We have been on a long break. We are starting the video session on Job from the beginning again. I wish I could share all the gems with you but it is one of those you had to be there kind of things. I will say this……….the take away from the first session is pain and suffering is not a punishment but a promotion.

Keep safe everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 164
    Options

Chris, I am so excited for you, that is the greatest news! Praise the Lord! Also, that you are snug by the fireplace!

Yes, Hershey my friend and I are safe, we have tons of snow and bitter cold temps yet but were both able to get out today and went to the grocery store, she also had a appointment here at the clinic. And the primary care doctor suggested dropping one of her meds for the next two weeks to see if that is causing her not to feel real well. I did move my trip out to February 5-13. I need to go to the chiropractor tomorrow because, I got in a little panic attack Sunday evening when I couldn't get ahold of my nurse friend for a few hours after she had called me several times during the day not feeling well. So I thought what could have happened and of course I remember our trips to emergency in November and drove out of the garage through the snow, to her place and well, she was okay (Praise the Lord) just talking on the phone. But when I drove back in the garage with the snow, the door wouldn't shut so I was shoveling which is a no, no for my back. I've iced it for a couple days but not helping.

Nancy, it sounds as though you are feeling better, praying for continued healing for you! And you asked if I am able to talk to my sister, yes most evenings my BIL is there and calls me on his phone face time and lets her talk to me. If he happens not to go which isn't too often, I can call a number there and they are very nice about taking the phone to her.

Praying for all of you, be safe and warm, even you Carol in San Diego!

Love, Wheatfields

• hersheykiss
    edited January 17
    Options

Such VERY good news, Chris! I am so happy for you! No doubt your MO will be pleased with the excellent test results.

Wheatfields, you are a dear going out in the snowstorm to check on your friend. I am so sorry that your back is acting up after shoveling around the garage door. I'm praying that your chiropractor is able to relieve your pain with some gentle mobilizations.

Nancy, isn't that interesting about the wintering robins?! In the past, the Minneapolis Star Tribune published several articles about American robins wintering in frigid Minnesota. They seem to be extraordinarily resourceful adapters!

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Wheatfields, I am glad that your friend was just talking on the phone and it was not an emergency. I am sorry you felt paniced not being able to reach her. I hope she will feel better by stopping one med. I am really sorry you hurt your back trying to get your garage door closed. Icing in this weather doesn't sound like fun at all but I do hope it will reduce the swelling and will eventually help. I am glad to hear you will eventually be able to visit your sister. I am glad you get to talk to her on most nights. That is really great and I am sure that helps her in this transition time and you too.

I am feeling better but I am wondering if I have a sinus infection or an ear infection. Something is not right still and it is three weeks until I see my allergy doctor so I may have to do something before then as this has been going on for way too long.

Hershey, I was Googling wintering robins in our area and according to the experts there are a lot of them. Who knew. It said they live on berries which made me glad that I planted two crabapple trees after having to remove three ornamental berry trees in the past. The article I was reading said if you see robins in March there is no way to tell if those are the wintering birds or the birds flying back north from their stay in the warm climates over the winter. So it is nice to learn something even at our ages!!

Carol, how are you doing? I am concerned since we haven't heard from you in a few days. I am thinking you are on your last few radiation treatments. Let us know how you are doing when you feel up to it.

I forgot to mention that Faith one of the ladies that used to be on this thread for quite a few years told me she may come back. I sent her an e-card for Christmas and she wrote back with a short note. She is Stage IV and has been for many years. Her main issues are depression and anxiety which she just can't seem to get relief. Some of you know who she is. I do hope she can return because I think just having a small community of women to help support her would be invaluable. I know with the new BCO revamp some people left because it was just too much of a change and they had trouble logging on. I hope if she chooses to get back she will not have those issues.

Well it is garbage night and I have been putting it off long enough. Take care dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,634
    Options

Hi all. Nancy, thank you for checking on me. I’m doing ok, just having a rougher time than I expected with the radiation. One more session tomorrow. Fatigue and nausea are hard and I’ve lost more weight. The RO’s nurse gave me a referral to an oncology dietitian so I’ll give her/him a call.

I should have been done with the rads today, but yesterday’s appointment was canceled due to equipment issues. I joked with the tech today that all they had to do was unplug the machine and then plug it back in. Everyone knows that! We got a laugh out of that.

Nancy, I had an ear infection but the antibiotics seemed to help. I’m sorry you’re still not 100%. That’s frustrating.

Heading to bed now.

love to all

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Carol, I am sorry to hear that you have been having a rough time with radiation. I hope you get to finish today. I am glad you still have your sense of humor in the midst of all you are going through. Maybe the dietician would have some helpful solutions for you. I am glad your AB are helping your ear infection. I continue to pray for you all the time. I was able to sleep last night without the furious headache I had been having when lying down. Maybe things are finally draining. I had a sneezing frenzy yesterday so maybe that shook things up. I hope I can bypass meds and it will clear up on its own.

We are having a heat wave at 26-27 degrees. I used to think that was cold!

I sure hope that you will feel better.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    Options

It is snowing here again and only 7°. This is proving to be a long winter. So glad I was out yesterday and not today.

Carol, I am praying for you daily that the radiation is successful and that you will feel better soon.

Nancy, I remember Faith and hope she can join us again.

• sunshine99
    Options

Good morning, ladies. I finished radiation yesterday. The techs all gave me a hug. My appointment was at 12:45, but as we walked out to leave we saw that someone had completely blocked our driveway. It's a narrow, one-car driveway and so we were totally stuck. Didn't know whose it was. Registration expired last August. Called the non-emergency, parking enforcement. Was only on hold for 20 minutes, which is pretty good for that number.

Anyway, parking enforcement came out, called a tow truck and had it towed away. Guy shows up two hours later as we're getting ready to leave (again) wanting to know where his car was. DH told him it got towed because it was blocking our driveway. Guy said he didn't notice. SERIOUSLY??? So, we back down our driveway as he's getting in a Mercedes next to (but not blocking) our driveway. DH gave him the name of the towing company. Something was not right about this guy… We know everyone up and down our street and he wasn't known to us.

Not much else to add. Feeling yucky and will go rest for a while.

Love to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Chris, ditto for the weather here. Yes, January is slugging on. I need to send Faith an email. I still write to Ellen and she is doing amazingly well for her DH just passing away several months ago.

Carol, I am so sorry that you had to deal with this situation on a day that I am sure you were glad radiation was over and you just wanted to crash at home. I hope the guy in the Mercedes is not going to cause any trouble in your neighborhood. Unless you had several feet of snow which I am sure you don't, to not be able to see your driveway sounds very strange. Some people just have a sense of entitlement and the rules are for everyone else! Hopefully that was all it was.

Praying for you dear sister.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    Options

Good morning, all. I'm trying to catch up and have no idea which posts I've read. My apologies if I've missed anyone.

I was expecting a neighbor to stop by yesterday and I was going to give him some clothes to take to a local charity. He never contacted me and since he was doing ME the favor, I didn't want to bug him.

I'm still dealing with fatigue and nausea. The funny thing about nausea is that sometimes not eating anything can cause more nausea. Stupid cycle. Am now down to 112.7 lbs. I found some minestrone soup at Vons. It's OK, but not great. I'm thinking of trying a pasta fagioli soup. No meat, lots of soft veggies and pasta.

I'm supposed to check with my insurance regarding meeting with a dietitian. I don't know why THEY won't call, but, oh well.

I'm glad radiation is done. Will start new drug on Monday. SEs include vomiting, diarrhea, high blood sugar, and I don't remember what else. Yay! I have some generic Imodium on hand, just in case and I ordered a home blood-glucose test kit. My first test (fasting), which I took for a baseline, was 62. On the low side, but not alarming. I didn't have any symptoms of low blood sugar.

I'm going to go make myself some instant grits. (If you've ever watched My Cousin Vinny, you'll get it when I say, "Don't judge.") Anyway, they're quick to make and easy to eat.

Love to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Carol, I am praying that your fatigue and nausea will quickly disappear. I hate both of those things but nausea is the worst. I hope your new med will not cause all of those symptoms for you. At my cancer clinic they offered a free consultation with a dietician and free social work services as long as it was cancer related. I am sure I didn't fully appreciate that luxury at the time. I sure hope your insurance will not drag their heels on this as seeking a dietician's guidance is so important for you now.

We are all praying for you as this has been such a difficult time for you and you have handled it all with such grace and humor. You are an inspiration to all of us.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    Options

I don't post pictures very much on Nextdoor but I was thrilled to be the number one post yesterday when I posted this picture that was a thrill when I captured this shot.

" But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint"

• intolight
    Options

Nancy, that is an amazing picture. You really are talented.

• sunshine99
    Options

Nancy, I agree that is an amazing photo!

I will call my insurance on Monday to see what’s covered with the dietitian. I have to do something.

It’s early here, but I think I’m going to go to bed.

Love to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Thank you Chris. I really appreciate your nice comment and encouragement.

Thank you Carol. I appreciate your nice comment. Taking time to respond when you are feeling so poorly I really appreciate. Going to bed early sounds wise to me. Good sleep has a real positive effect on our immune system.

I am heading to bed soon as well.

Have a restful night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,057
    Options

Wow Nancy, thank you for posting this fantastic picture! 🦅We're looking forward to seeing more of your photography skills!

The Mods

• hersheykiss
    Options

Nancy, that's a spectacular photo! You really have an eye for details in your photography.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Dear Mods,

Thank you so much for your encouraging comments. I used to post a lot more when the Picture This forum was active. We'll see. Thanks again.

Hershey, thank you so much. This photo was one that I entered in a calendar contest which a friend told me I should go for. I ended up having three pictures of mine selected to be in the calendar. I got 2nd and 3rd place and won some calendars which I was able to give to my family. It was basically a fundraiser for a wildlife refuge center so I felt good about supporting that cause with my photography. Within 2 days of posting on Nextdoor it had over 9000 views which blew me away. I used to pray that I would have a larger audience for my photos since I am not on social media except Nextdoor so this is my prayers being answered which blew me away!

This was my first Sunday being back to church. It was really nice to be back but still very cold.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Hi dear sisters,

This is part of an email that Faith sent me this week. I asked her permission to share with you so here is what she has been going through recently. She is Stage 1V bc and has been for many years. I told her what a great group of praying women you are and I think we could help support her in prayer and encouragement. She was part of this thread for several years and I know at least two of you know her from then.

"Hi Nancy, It’s nice to hear from you again. I have been thinking of going back to BCO but I guess I’m just lazy. Haven’t wanted to do much of anything which I believe is because of my depression. It’s also because I haven’t been feeling good. I fell flat on my face in September and really bruised my face and broke lots of the small bones in my nose and eye sockets. It didn’t require surgery but I do have a slight indentation on one side of my nose. I was on my way to a doctor appointment in the medical bldg. by the hospital when I tripped and fell. Luckily, there were people around who called 911. They were there in minutes and drove me around the corner to the ER.I was in the hospital for three days and had awful black eyes which still leaves me with some bruises on my cheeks. I also now have a dead tooth which requires a root canal. Lucky me!Then DH had surgery on his prostate in November, to hopefully stop his frequent visits to the bathroom, especially in the middle of the night which really disturbs his sleep. He expected to be back to normal in a couple of weeks but that hasn’t happened yet. The surgery was in Chicago at Northwestern hospital. We had to spend the night at a hotel across the street in order to be there at 5:30 am for the surgery. It all seemed to go well but it hasn’t cured his problem yet. So, as you can imagine we could use some prayers for healing. I also have an overdue PET scan coming up which causes me some anxiety. I hope to be back to BCO soon.Thanks for thinking of me and keeping in touch."

• hersheykiss
    edited January 24
    Options

Nancy, thank you for posting Faith's message. I remember Faith and hope to see her here soon. She is missed.

Carol, how are you doing? The news reports about flooding in San Diego are scary. I pray you and your DH are safe.

Chris, Teka and Wheatfields, I do hope your weather is improving (even if only for a little bit).

We are getting estimates this week on pruning two of our larger trees. My DH and I do most all of our landscaping and yardwork, but putting on a harness and climbing around a tree using ropes and pulleys are no longer in our wheelhouse! ☺