Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Options

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,746
    Options

Hershey, I have to correct my post. I drove my taxes on Thursday. DUH It just felt like much longer! I am glad you love your trees! Now that I need a new roof I won't be doing any trees in the near future.

Carol, we haven't heard from you for a while. Are you doing okay?

Chris, how are you feeling? How is Bria doing?

I hope everyone had a wonderful Valentine's Day.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,616
    Options

teka, thank you for the morning smile!

Nancy, thank you for checking on me. I'm doing OK—not great, but pretty good. I/we were able to sign up for our Part B coverage and got the confirmation letters yesterday. We'll meet with the broker on Tuesday to get signed up for the supplements.

I did something last night while I was sleeping. I remember my right rib cage suddenly hurting and it hurt for the rest of the night. It's hurts to breathe and to move. I told DH that it would hurt to hug him, but that a kiss would probably be ok. Since it hurts to laugh, he said he'd try not to be funny today. Of course, I had to laugh at that. I'm so blessed to be married to him!

We're in the desert for the weekend. It's beautiful out here and DH has a list of jobs to do before the next set of renters arrive. Vacation rentals can be a pain. Bath towels are missing, the kitchen is crazy with stuff arranged willy-nilly, and an extra frying pan that I've never seen before… It helps that DH doesn't get bothered like I do.

Nancy, tell me again the date of your surgery. I'll put it on my iPhone calendar. I know it's early March, but that's all I remember.

Love to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Teka, love the banner. You sound like a Disney historian!!!

Carol, so good to hear from you. i have been concerned about you. I pray for you daily. I'm glad you got your Part B figured out. I didn't realize all the issue with Medicare Advantage plans until someone recently posted on Nextdoor. Wow. I had not idea. I have had two different Advantage plans without any issue but I am holding my breath with this fairly new one. I will pray for your rib issue. I did a similar thing a few weeks before Christmas and it took several weeks after Christmas for it to resolve. I don't even know what I did. I sure hope yours is a different matter. You certainly don't need another issue to deal with. Actually that was one of a couple reasons I decided to go through with my knee surgery which is on March 4 because it has thrown off my whole body and has caused problems. One of my friends from the neighborhood owns ocean front property in Florida and she talks about the renters just take things. I know how frustrated she would be over that type of thing. I would be too.

I just had a big answer to prayer. The landlord who owns the house I am attached to just called me. He has agreed to go in with me on a new roof. What a relief. My roofer guy is coming out today to give us an estimate so things are falling into place as far as my emergency with my roof.

Take care dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,156
    Options

Teka, I loved the Jiminy Cricket reels in school when growing up… "I'm no fool, no siree, I'm gonna live to be a hundred and three…" Remember that? If only I knew then…

Nancy, so happy your neighbor is going in with you as he should. A shared housing should share costs. Surprised your HOA doesn't require that. How are you feeling? I know you are prepping for your surgery and am already praying for that.

Carol, renters can be a pain. We have a couple of rentals but they are long-term. Lately we have had to fix squirrels in the attic (no fooling!) mushrooms in the crawl space, and furnace not working all at the same house. I don't think we will make too much money off them this year… The good news is our insurance paid the special assessment for the roof replacement due to hail damage on the condo which was a different rental. I wouldn't bother with them but my DH insists they are worth it. We have amanagement company who handles it all since we are out-of-state.

It is snowing again… but should only be a couple of inches this time. The landscaper was out yesterday as we are finally getting the landscaping put in after getting the deck added and two years of living here. They will just remove the snow if necessary for the major digging and soil moving and put in the hard stuff next month, (pavers and borders.) They will install the vegetation in May or early June depending on the weather (topsoil, plants and trees) guaranteed for five years. What a project! This is how they do it in Colorado! I can't wait to send pictures. I think this is my DH's way of saying I love you. He is not real romantic otherwise. Two years ago I didn't think I would still be alive. God is good!

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Chris, it sounds like you and Teka are both Disney historians. LOL To be able to quote from Jiminy is pretty impressive. I had to laugh when you said squirrels in the attic. Yep, it is a thing. As a renter many years ago I lived in the second floor of a two flat. The landlords lived on the first floor. I was hearing all of this running around in the attic. I lifted up the opening to the attic and this squirrel was looking down at me. Living in this apt was quite the experience. I could write a book. Ernie, lived in the basement and he was the fix it man and the ex of one of the owners. He decided that he would cut down this beautiful tree next to the building to alleviate the squirrel problem. He obviously didn't know how squirrels can almost fly through the air to get to a destination. After all of that the squirrels were still getting in. Actually I don't quite remember but I think animal control came out and trapped it or them. They don't do that anymore in this town.

Actually our HOA does not require owners to go in together for a new roof. As picky as they are about everything else. The houses that one side has a new roof and the other doesn not looks really bad. This will be my second new roof and hopefully the last.

I have been walking more to try to get in the best shape I can before surgery. I was taking the stool softener in small amounts each night and I had developed some really bad stomach aches and finally put two and two together. So last night is the first I stopped the stool softener and no stomach ache. I don't know what is going to happen without it but I am praying that this tear will have healed. I do feel better from walking more. I am just walking inside of my house. We are expecting snow today too.

I bet your house with all the new landscaping coming will look fantastic. They say everyone has their own love language so hopefully you are feeling very loved. 🧡 You are loved here!!!!

I really appreciate your prayers for my surgery. My surgeon seems quite relaxed on what I can do afterwards and one of my neighbors said she was shocked that he said I could do stairs immediately but very limited. He said I wouldn't need crutches too. So I have not quite figured out what I am going to do yet. I had a sleeper sofa custom made a few years ago for just this instance and it has never been used. Getting my house ready is the top priority right now. I asked my neighbor if she could check on Cammie the first night as Cammie's food etc is on second floor and she is very good and will help as much as I need.

How are you feeling? How is Bria doing? I hope no more bloody noses.

Sorry this ended up being a short novel. I will be quiet now!

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    Options

Thanks Nancy. The squirrel "fix"is quite expensive, well over #1000.00. It involves removing them, fixing the outside so they can't get in, and fixing the damage. Not good. There are no close trees although trees do line the whole back of the property. It is one thing we loved when we lived there.

Yes, giving is my DH's love language. It reminds me of sea captains who built castles for their wives with turrets for them to look out of…lol…

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Chris, I'm sorry your squirrel problem cost so much. Wow. Hopefully you will be able to write off some of those costs at tax time. My sister and her DH own a couple of long term rental properties and one of the houses had a sewer line issue which cost $17,000 as they had to dig up the backyard. They have been very fortunate to have good renters who have stayed for years.

I hope your beloved sea captain treats you well. 😊

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Somone has a birthday today. Can you guess who????????????

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    Options

Hello ladies! I haven't been on in awhile (honestly, logging onto this site sometimes gives me trouble, but I need to do it anyway), but I just read through all the posts since I was last here. I hope this Sunday finds all of you well.

Work is a roller coaster, but there has been improvement in some ways that has really, really helped. I'm constantly reminded that even though it's not perfect, it's still a good job and my nearly completely flex schedule and super chill and kind manager makes all the difference. I look at other jobs but don't want to lose those things.

Body still feels like it's falling apart. I very much dislike AI and zoladex, (I'm on hematoma #3), and zometa, but I would probably hate mets worse, so I carry on. With two lymph node pos occurences I'm not naive enough to believe this can't easily come back. I'm writing this as a pep talk to myself right now, because I hate these meds. I'm 45 and went into very fast menopause. It's supposed to be gradual, so I feel a stranger in my skin. :-/

I have a palpable (non tender) lymph node in my neck that I'm pretty sure wasn't there before. I see her in 3 weeks, so if it's still there I can ask her. She's big on the 3 week thing with anything new.

Anyone participating in the Great Backyard Bird Count?

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 651
    Options

GB, two GBBC events were planned in my area. The weather was quite unsettled though, so only the most hardy folks participated. I'm glad to see that your work situation has improved. There's much to be said about a flexible schedule and a supportive supervisor. I hope that you continue to see many more positive improvements at work.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Hi all,

I guess our Birthday Girl is going to have to reveal herself. I hope she saw my post.

GB, I get it on the AI. I had trouble with that drug as well and I kept hanging in there knowing it had to be better than the mets. I am really glad to hear that your work situation has improved. That is huge. I do hope you are feeling better. How is the foot pain?

It has been a really busy week. I have my contractor to do our new roof so I am grateful for that. My neighbor was on board as we share a roof and that was huge. The president of our association at our meeting last night said how did you get him on board. I said with my charm and personality. LOL I haven't said anything but I threw my hat in the ring for a term on our HOA board and I won. I know some of you are probably shaking your head but I won't go into all the circumstances but I felt a lot of pressure to run because one of our members resigned but will stay on as our IT person which she is fantastic. I promise not to vent too much when the going gets rough!!!!!!! I told one of my neighbors this is the first time I have been elected to an office because I was nominated (drafted) to fill a position which I did last year. I told her maybe I would run for the President of the US next. LOL

How is everyone doing?

I would appreciate your prayers going into my March 4 surgery. I have been cleaning to get ready but I need wisdom in how to prepare for post surgery and haven't figured that out yet. Do I get crutches or not etc. My surgeon says I won't need them but I am not sure if he is being overly optimistic.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    Options

Thanks Nancy and yes, I had a birthday on the 17th. I am now 71 years old. I never thought I would make it this far. Thank you for remembering me and for the card. It was fun and lovely. We had a nice family dinner out and my DD baked me a cake. We don't celebrate birthdays much but this was nice. I have been praying for your surgery already, that God will go before you and make smooth all the details. I know you have had problems in the past but I am praying that this one will go smoothly.

It is finally warming here in Colorado so hopefully the snow still piled in my front yard will soon melt. I haven't felt too good lately but am pushing things along. Usually it passes and I am praying it will do that soon.

Carol, I am praying you are able to eat better and you are feeling better. We all deserve some love and sunshine.

Take care. Chris

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Chris, I'm glad you had a nice birthday dinner with your family. I'm sorry you are not feeling good. I am praying for you and all on this thread. Thank you for your prayers for me. The last few days of prep are here for me and I need motivation to push on through and get my house ready.

There is a loaner place to borrow medical equipment in my township. I am toying with the idea of seeing if I can get some crutches on loan just in case. Doing stairs with crutches and Cammie wanting me to pet her as I go down the stairs could be a bad combination so that is one of the things I am trying to figure out.

Have a good weekend dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Hi Carol,

I just read your latest blog. I have been on both sides and neither is a place anyone would choose to be. I do hope that you are doing better. I smiled at the thought of being elated doing laundry. I am not sure if I have ever felt that before but I certainly get it. There is part of me that is so angry at the way your insurance treated your situation and made you wait for so long to have radiation but then I am reminded that His timing is perfect whether we understand it or not. The last time I made a smart remark to the tech that was doing my brain MRI I said yeah they are doing it to see if I have one. There was absolutely NO reaction whatsoever. Maybe he didn't get it. I do pray for you so much. I hope that the Lord will help you with this feeling of guilt. I will pray for your DH as well. I didn't realize how my cancer had affected my sister and my Mom until quite a bit after I was finished with treatments. My Dad had already passed and my Mom didn't fully grasp things either because of her dementia so when I look back I am grateful for that even though at the time I felt like I really needed her. I pray that you have a week of feeling much, much better.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Wheatfields, how are you doing? How was your visit with your sister? How is your friend doing? I hope your piles of snow are beginning to melt. We had some snow yesterday and today hit 60 so no more snow. Let us know how you are when you get a chance.

I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    edited February 28
    Options

Nancy, you are prudent to consider having crutches at home just in case. It's better to have and not need them than to need and not have them. I'm praying for a successful surgery on Monday and a very speedy recovery.

I received a letter from my wonderful oncologist on Friday. She is retiring in June, and the new oncologist will start in August. A nurse practitioner and temporary oncologist will cover appointments during the interim. While I'm sad to see my oncologist leave, I am happy that she'll have more time to enjoy her family and pursue other interests.

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 164
    Options

Hello ladies,

Nancy we are praying for a successful surgery on Monday and a good recovery. I'm concerned about crutches unless your balance is real good, I was more thinking a walker in case. May the Lord surround you with love and care during this time.

Hershey, I am sorry to hear about a change in oncologists, but we will be praying that the new one is very excellent too.

Carol, I am praying that you are feeling better and able to eat well too.

Chris, glad that you had a happy birthday and hope you are enjoying some nice weather. We have had a few 60's but now it's back to the teens today and tonight. But our snow is almost gone, we did get about an inch today but I think it's so windy it'll soon be gone and warmer days are ahead!

I feel better after seeing where my sister is and spending some time there. They have caring staff and activities which she enjoys. She also has made some friends there. She doesn't want her room fixed up a little to make more home like though, because she plans on going back to independent living she says. My brother in law still struggles with her behavior when he is with her, for she continues to blame him for being where she is. Over all I can see it is better for her, because of guided activities she is not left alone to sleep all morning instead, but to be involved and interacting with other people. My nurse friend, is doing somewhat better after she got a low dose of a medication that is to help you sleep, the primary care doctor said she may still need to get up and "go" but should be able to get back to sleep. The urologist after the meds didn't work suggested trying a procedure of wires that stimulate the bladder nerves, but she is hesitant to do that because she would have to stop the blood thinner for a few days and the last time she did that is when the small TIA occurred. So hopefully this sleep aid will help. My hand is doing well since my hand therapy which I am so happy about.

Praying for each of you, Teka and GB too.

Love, Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Hershey, I hope you will get an oncologist that will be excellent to replace your retiring oncologist. My original MO after a couple of years passed me off to his PA. I absolutley loved her and had her for several years before she moved to another clinic. I am back with my original one now. My PA was so proactive that she caught some things that may not have been caught otherwise. I do hope the interim will be as great as my PA was.

Our Zoom Bible study was cut very short tonight because we had tornado warningsand touch downs all around most of us. It ended quickly when some of the ladies that live in a different town than I do said the sirens are going off so we all quickly disconnected. Cammie and I never had to go into our safe place because the worst of it missed us but we got showered with hail which I heard one rickochet off my new patio door which I am praying there is no damage. It absolutely poured so I will probably have to dry out my laundry room ceiling again. That new roof couldn't come fast enough.

I couldn't sleep a couple nights ago so I ended up ordering crutches from Amazon in the middle of the night as I just didn't feel like I had time to go to the township medical closet to see if they had any equipment I could use. I just recently opened them up and adjusted them. I watched a YouTube video which I need to watch again. My surgeon said I could put weight on the surgery leg so that will be helpful. I tried using them just a little and realize that using them on stairs especially when many times Cammie is right there in front of me could be very dangerous so I have a few days to practice. My sister has both of our parents walkers at her home but that isn't going to help me now. If only I would have thought of it when I was there at Christmas time. Thanks for your prayers.

Wheatfields, I am so glad you could spend some time with your sister and see how well she is doing with all of the activities that can certainly help to stimulate her. I really had hoped that she would stop blaming her DH after she got settled in. That may eventually happen.

I am glad your nurse friend is doing somewhat better. With medical issues it seems like there is quite often a trade off involved. I hope she can find some solutions and hopefully her night med will help in the bathroom issues. I take a whole combo of things to sleep and of course now I can't take most of those things before surgery. Before this week I always had a very large cup of chamomille tea. Last night was the first I couldn't have that and I slept like a baby but still had to get up to go but not as much as usual. Maybe your friend could make a point of not drinking much before going to bed.

I am glad to hear your hand is doing well. That is great. Thank you for your prayers. I appreciate all of the prayers from our little community here.

For me one of the good things about having so many surgeries is that my house is spic and span going into them!!! 😁So hopefully post surgery I will be able to rest and feel like I got a jump on spring cleaning!! Today we hit 71%. Unheard for February.

Take care dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    Options

Ho everyone. Just a quick update. I’m doing much better and am able to eat and drink. Weight is coming up a bit.

I think I finalized all my Medicare signup stuff. Will have Parts B, D and G as of 3/1. I already have Part A.

Am trying to write this on my phone so I’ll write more tomorrow.

Thank you for your prayers and encouragement.

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Carol, I am so glad to hear you are doing much better. That is AWESOME!!!!! Also glad that you have your Medicare plan decided and in place. I know that is a huge decision. I will keep praying that this upward trend will keep going and going and going…………………

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    Options

My older brother just passed away. He has been struggling for awhile with COPD and was on 16 liters of O2 lately which meant two machines at the same time. I was able to call him earlier today…there was no way I could get to him in TN. He was able to nod that he heard me so I was at least able to tell him I loved him. Thank you for your prayers.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Oh Chris, I am so saddened to hear about your brother's passing. I am glad you were able to call him and that he saw you and you were able to tell him you love him. My prayers are with you.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    Options
  • hersheykiss
    Options

Oh Chris, I am so sorry to read about the passing of your brother. I pray that God's comforting peace surrounds you and your family.

• sunshine99
    Options

Oh, dear Chris, I'm so sorry. I'm praying for peace and comfort for you and your family right now and in the coming days.

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    edited March 1
    Options
  • hersheykiss
    Options

Nancy, I hope you are enjoying a peaceful and relaxing weekend. We are praying for a successful and uncomplicated surgery on Monday.

I've been thinking about the possibility of you getting a walker before your surgery. Would you be comfortable putting a request for a walker on your neighborhood Nextdoor? I frequently see people on our Nextdoor ask to borrow, rent, or buy a walker, wheelchair, knee scooter, etc. following surgery or prior to rehab. So many neighbors are willing to lend or give away their no-longer-needed equipment. I bet your neighbors would be too. It's just a thought.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Hershey, it has been pretty crazy today actually. I am afraid I will be checking off my to do list until the 11th hr. I knew a nurse was going to call today to give me the surgery time. I was happy that they called early and the surgery time was 3:15. Then they called back in the afternoon and said there has been a change and it is at 2:45. I was very anxious to get the time change to my friend that is driving me. Then they called again and said we have to change your time now to 1:15. My friend has had to make more changes in her schedule than I do so I felt bad about that. I have some challenges with a couple of my meds that I am to take 4hrs apart and I can't drink anything after 7am. the day of surgery. But in the grand scheme of things this is a blip on the radar. It is probably too late to get a walker. The purpose of the crutches is not to put weight on it but I have really not had a chance to practice but once for about a minute. I will not try my stairs with the crutches. That is just too dangerous without practice. I tried to see how difficult it was and it is just too difficult. I don't want to end up with a broken neck before my knee surgery!!! I appreciate your concern. I need to trust what my surgeon is telling me but there is part of me that knows that he doesn't know exactly what he is dealing with since we never had that second MRI since reinjuring my knee. That was his choice in that not mine. He is a great surgeon so I just need to relax and trust his judgement. He said I could put weight on my leg and even do stairs initially but not too much. I do appreciate your prayers and concern. I'll let you all know how it turns out when I am able.

Have a great weekend.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    Options

My one and only orchid met with its death to all the buds that were going to blossum into beautiful flowers. My one and only place that has been good for my orchids is on my kitchen counter next to my stove which I use all the time. Recently I whipped around too fast and caught the orchid on my sleeve and it came crashing to the floor and the spike (stem) with all the buds broke off. I have the buds in water but it will be a miracle if they actually open. If any of you have grown orchids you wait all year to have flowers and mine usually comes out around Easter. So I decided to splurge and I ordered three orchids from my favorite orchid nursery which I had hoped to visit in person but it is pretty far out of town and I didn't have time. So my orchids came yesterday. The guy delivering them said someone must really like you. Ha Ha. I didn't say a word. So here is a pic of my new orchids with my olive oil and toaster and all the things that I wish were not in this picture. My grow light recenlty bit the dust and I just replaced it with these. My other grow light had a purple cast so it was the talk of the neighborhood what was coming from Nancy's house. So this has really brighted my day. I had NO idea they were all going to be so big and tall. I love all the colors. It is hard to see them but you get the idea. So this will be my "bright light" during the weeks of PT.

Love,

Nancy

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 164
    Options

Nancy, thank you for sharing a picture of your orchids - they are beautiful and will brighten the days ahead, while you are recovering from your knee surgery. We are praying for you!

Chris, I am so sorry to hear about your brother and praying for you and your family, for comfort.

Continuing in prayer for each of you!

Love, Wheatfields