Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Options

Comments

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,616
    Options

Nancy, I feel your frustration with the scheduling of your knee surgery. I know we feel we are already imposing on people who have offered us rides, but to have the time keep changing is, indeed, frustrating.

I'm sorry about the unfortunate demise of your orchid, but happy you were able to get more. For a while, it seemed like everyone was giving us orchids and our kitchen table was so full of them that there was no room for anything else. DH definitely has a green thumb, and they never die! He's given a few of them away and will move them off the table if I grumble too much. Fortunately/unfortunately, they really like their current location near the window.

I hope everyone has a good weekend. Got my Medicare Part G (medigap) card in the mail today. I'm supposed to be approved for Part D but waiting for the permanent card. Coverage is effective as of today.

I reached the halfway point with the baby blanket I'm making. It's knit on the diagonal and starts with an increase (yarnover) on every row. I'm now on the decreases. I am putting a life-line in periodically so that if I make a mistake that I can't easily fix, I can rip it back to the lifeline and pick up the stitches without too much effort. It's been fun and not too stressful, thankfully.

Love to all,

Carol

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 651
    Options

Nancy, the orchids are magnificent and so many buds are yet to bloom. They will give you much joy while you recover from surgery.

Carol, the turnaround on receiving your insurance card is impressive. We signed up for coverage during the crazy autumn open enrollment period, and United Healthcare took nearly 6 weeks to process and mail us our cards. Once we cleared that hurdle, it's been smooth sailing ever since. I hope your transition to Medicare is a smooth one as well.

I hope everyone is enjoying a sunny Saturday!

• sunshine99
    Options

hersheykiss, I'm hopeful that the transition to Medicare will be easy. I have bloodwork on Tuesday, MO appointment, Zometa infusion and Faslodex shots on Wednesday. I have no idea what to expect. I need to think about my next bottle of Truqap, but don't know who they contact for that.

I'm trying to figure out a statement from Scripps. There are charges from 2020 on there. We had different insurance then and it looks like there are a bunch of duplicate charges. I'll call them on Monday.

Carol

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,156
    Options

I am going to try to zoom my DBs funeral today. This is a strange new world but at least I can see it. Had my Faslodex shots yesterday and am struggling today so it is good I can view it in the comfort of my home.

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,746
    Options

Chris, I am praying strength for you as you get to view your brother's funeral. May peace envelope you and the family as you go through this difficult time. We are all lifting you up dear sister.

Carol, I do hope you can sift through the past medical records and get things straightened out. I pray that with your upcoming treatments your new insurance will cover all of it.

Hershey and Wheatfields, yes my orchids have given me a sense of joy and excitement indeed.

Teka, how are you doing?

GB, I pray that your work situation stays in a good place and I pray that all of your medical treatments will improve.

Love,

Nancy

• pinkbutterfly71
    pinkbutterfly71 Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2
    Options

Hi everyone my name is Kerry I am 52 a professional personal trainer and certified in cancer exercise as well as a few other, a mom of 2 amazing adult children and it’s just my husband & I at home . I am newly diagnosed (caught on my annual mammogram Dec 2023) I had my 1st surgery in January and I am about to start my radiation. We did the CT scan and marking yesterday for that. I am also a 19 year survivor of cervical cancer (I was diagnosed with that when I was 33 and we did a radical modified hysterectomy & removal of all my lymph nodes in my groin at 34 when I was planning my 3rd child 🥹) I already have issues with lymphedema in my legs from the cervical cancer surgery so I’m trying to adjust to this new routine. I am having a rough day today and just feel hopeless & a burden at times. My adult children do not live close and neither does my family. I do enjoy orchids which made me stop and share at least some postitive moments I have been enjoying these orchids the last 3 years and never was gifted with them so I’m always amazed when they bloom :) the baby in the middle just started sprouting so it’s exciting to see NEW GROWTH …something I pray to happen in my life soon.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Kerry, welcome to this thread. I am sorry you are having a rough day. You have been through a lot and to have another form of cancer now is understandable that you are feeling down. I am glad you stopped by when you saw my orchid pic. I was a little hesitant to share that pic but now I know why it was important because it was important to YOU. I love your orchids. It looks like you have a pefect place for them. They look very healthy and beautiful. Most people would get excited about the flowers and of course we do but I get just as excited when I see a spike growing………new growth indeed!! This is a very supportive community of Christians and we will certainly pray for your upcoming radiation treatments. The treatments go very quickly. I used a paper calendar and Xed off each day of completion. One of my friends recommended that on Fridays I should treat myself to something special as a reward for getting through a week. I went to this lake not too far from my house and just sat and enjoyed the quiet. I prayed and thanked God for getting me through the week. You might want to do something similar. I love your user name. My hobby is nature photography and butterflies are my most favorite subjects. I just looked up pink butterflies and one of the symbolic meanings is embodying inner peace and transformation. That is perfect for what you need right now. God can give you those things. Ask Him.

Please feel free to post anytime and let us know how you are doing.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    Options

LOL I love the banner Teka. Tomorrow I may look like the lady on the back! I hope you are doing well.

Hershey, I tried to adjust the crutches where your hands go. I got one adjusted with no problem and I could not get the other one at all. UGH. So in the middle of the night I ordered a walker. When it said it will come tomorrow and I'm still thinking it was Saturday when it was actually Sunday so it will come on the day of my surgery and there is some assembly required. So we'll see what happens.

• sunshine99
    Options

Nancy, thinking of you and praying that all will be well, that your walker comes promptly and doesn't require tools to assemble.

teka, love the banner, too. I'm not sure if I'd be on the front or the back. Either way, HANG ON!!!

• intolight
    Options

Kerry, welcome to our little side of the web. I am sorry you are having a bad day. Your orchids bring a smile to my face. I always admire someone with a green thumb as I kill everything. I am praying you can find additional blessings as you go through treatment.

Nancy, I am praying for your surgery tomorrow, and that your walker shows up and is easy to assemble. I use mine intermittently and am glad to keep it around. Sending prayers your surgery happens with no extra complications.

Teka, love the picture!

It snowed again last night, sigh, but it is Spring in the Rockies. This is the windy season here and it is very dry, even with the snow, so fires are beginning to sprout around here. I am praying for those in Texas too. I am considering a small road trip to Prescott with my DD and DGD to attend a small family gathering the end of the month. I am praying I can handle a two-day road trip there and then back. It is rough for me but I feel I need to do it to support my familly.

Love and prayers to you all.

• hersheykiss
    Options

Kerry, welcome to our little group. I'm sorry your day has been a challenging one. Your orchids are lovely and look very healthy and happy on your windowsill. I hope that lighter days are ahead for you and pray that your radiation treatments are successful.

Nancy, Amazon may deliver your walker before you depart for surgery. My neighbors have seen the Amazon delivery trucks dropping off packages at 6:00am! I am praying that your surgery tomorrow is on time and free of complications.

• pinkbutterfly71
    edited March 4
    Options

Oh all of you beautiful ladies thank you for all of the warm welcome & blessings !!! I appreciate each one of you !! The orchids pictures are beautiful !!! I have a green thumb & have never had luck with orchids until I bought these 3 years ago and NOT from a nursery of all places from Albertsons all the same farm/nursery, they along with my sweet hummingbirds make me appreciate all of life so much! We usually have 10-15 hummingbirds every spring !! I’m still waiting on the schedule for radiation still not sleeping well with this expander filled to max capacity & my skin is so tight & red 😵‍💫

Nancy, my husband gave me the nickname pink butterfly when we first met 12 years ago I was body building & had pink in my hair advocating for bc after my grammar school best friend lost her mom to bc. I was putting pink in my hair since 2009 💕

Taking today easy it’s a foggy rainy day here in the south so I told myself today I can catch up on rest/sleep to prepare for this battle !!! It’s just hard to sit still with my OCD & wanting to do my usual day to day routine plus running a small start up business in the middle of this. My husband is so stressed I’m constantly laying hands on him & praying.

I pray all of you have a wonderful blessed day 💕I’m excited to get to know you!

• sunshine99
    Options

Nancy, thinking of you and hoping your surgery went well today.

Love and hugs,

Carol

• hersheykiss
    Options

Teka, your daughter's orchids are very pretty.

Kerry, are those gorgeous tulips from your garden?

Nancy, I hope you are home and peacefully resting after a successful surgery.

Wishing everyone a blessed evening.

• intolight
    Options

Nancy, praying for a restful night free of pain and side effects.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Hi dear sisters,

Everything went really, really well today. The medical team was excellent!!!! My anesthesiologist ( a female I might add) went way beyond the call of duty in wanting an exact history. She noticed I have fibro and mentioned that. She added, my Mom has this and I fully understand your pain magnification. So she said I am going to give you extra pain meds in the IV so you will have no pain. I could hug that lady now as I had no pain in recovery and pretty much no pain now. I have taken one pain pill and need another now.

My friend stayed with me for a few hours which I wasn't expecting but she saved me several trips to replenish my ice. Then my neighbor came over after my friend left. So I am doing really great at this point.

My surgeon made a video of the surgery and I thought was to explain what he was doing but I cannot get audo so I am giving up on that for the night. Some of the pictures are helpful but making sense of it without audio is probably not working so well.

Today for some odd reason Cammie was hiding under my bed when she knew it was time for daily meds and this was her day for two meds. I am going to have to pray she will manage without because I am not going to even attempt it at this point.

Thank you so much for your prayers. I really do appreciate them. Kerry I hope you are feeling uplifted. I say AMEN to your beautiful banner. I love your tulips. Unlike a typical Feb-March in the Chicago are where I live I have daffodils that look like they may flower in the near future. Very unusual for this early. We will continue to pray for you as you start this new leg of your treatment.

Teka, I love your daughters orchids. Her tall orchid looks like mine that ended up all over my kitchen floor. The shorter one also looks like one of my new ones which I have had in the past called Surf Song. I love that color.

Chris, I hope that your Zoom funeral was a consolation to you. I know it is not like being there but until we all knew what zoom was it was either viewing in person or not at all so I am glad you had that option. Is this your brother who used to live near me? I will continue to pray for you and the family.

My biggest challenge other than getting up and icing every 20 min is I have a huge appetite which I was not expecting and remember to exercise my feet every hour to prevent blood clots.

I do that you all for your prayers. I am doing really well and I hope this will continue.

Take care and have a good night all.

Love,

Nancy

• pinkbutterfly71
    Options

@hersheykiss oohhh how I wish I had a green thumb for tulips I’m just mastering orchids lol. The sweet lady at our Albertsons flower shop gave me those with the pink rose right before my surgery. Tulips are also my daughter’s favorite flower and have become mine along with the orchids and hydrangeas.

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 164
    Options

Kerry, a special welcome and we will be praying for you. Thank you for sharing your beautiful flowers and the prayer banner which is also so true! Nancy, so thankful to hear the first day went very well. And hope you have a wonderful recovery and all the help that you need!

Love, Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I apologize for my brain fog and my mistakes as I look back. My first night I slept NOT at all. So yesterday I doozed off an on. Last night I obviously fell asleep with the lights on and the TV on so I slept really well for a few hours.

I think I am doing very well. The surgery center called to check on me and it took me too long to get out of my chair and they hung up before I got to the phone. I called right back and it went to voicemail. I called again a few hrs later and no call back. They have not been great about staffing the phone lines unfortuanatly. I still haven't heard from them. I had questions about meds etc. I will just message my surgeon who has been excellent about getting back to me.

I am getting a new roof on Thursday and Friday so no resting on those days after 7 am. UGH We have had a couple of bad storms so the faster that roof gets on the better. My handyman came the right before I was to leave for surgery and he got my crutches adjusted but I really haven't used them. I asked him about replace my laundery room ceiling which has taken the brunt of the roof leaking. My friend put my walker together and I used that just a little. I ordered a shower chair which will come hopefully today so I can get a shower and take off the bandage and just put three bandaides on the incisions.

My knee is very sore at this point and now very stiff so I will be glad to get that first PT in next week and start getting some mobility in my leg. I have not used any pain meds today and may just use Tylenol like I did last night.

My new orchids have buds opening up so that is fun to see.

I do appreciate your prayers. So far no obvious complications. I think I managed to avoid any blood clots and hopefully that window has passed on that possibility. I have religiously iced and tried to stretch my feet to avoid blot clots.

I have been able to take care of Cammie now which was one of my big concerns. I am thankful that things have gone so well so far.

Kerry, how are you doing? Have you started your radiations treatments yet? I hope you are enjoying your tulips and your beautiful pink rose to match. I started growing hydrangeas a few years ago. They can be a challenge like orchids and so much is dependant on location.

Well, I think I am going to lay back down. I am still feeling tired. I need to be fully rested before the roofers start in at 7am tomorrow. It is supposed to rain so I am not sure how that is going to work.

I hope everyone is doing well. I know each of you have your own challenges dealing with grief and loss and tough physical challenges and the emotional challenges that come with all of that. I am praying the Lord will make himself known to you today to let you know you are not alone and that you are loved so much.

Love,

Nancy

• pinkbutterfly71
    Options

@bandwoman1234 oh Nancy I’m praying for our Lord to have mercy on you and bless you with quick & complete healing. The physical therapy will definitely help and get your knee back on track ! I finally got some sleep the last 2 nights after hardly any since my surgery. Haven’t started radiation yet I’m still waiting on the hospital to call & schedule after my foam “padding” is made/ready. I’m anxious to get it completed and start recovery so I can get to the 2nd surgery time is crucial trying to get it all done in the same year with insurance deductible and out of pocket expenses. My white orchid opened up more it is so beautiful and I’m excited to see what the small baby one will bloom I forgot what color that one is 🤦🏼‍♀️. We are also going to be having a new roof installed within the next few weeks so I’m enjoying the peace & quiet (minus the pups snoring lol) My Sophie is tiny but when she is napping well her little snout makes a loud rumble. I pray everyone is doing well I’m tired today and feeling like my energy is lacking; but I did a lot for myself & around the house yesterday. Have a blessed day ladies you’re never alone HE is walking with all of us and ahead of us. 💕

• intolight
    Options

Ladies, love all the orchid pictures. Our new landscaper is going to help me learn a little how to not kill all my plants lol…

Nancy, I am so thankful your surgery went well and you are doing good. That is an answer to prayer! It also sounds like things are moving well with the roof and Cammie. Big sigh of relief…

So happy to read of the good scans and that those who face new treatments are getting properly prepared. It is a roller coaster ride for sure!

I am planning on a two-day drive road trip to see my family in AZ in a couple of weeks (seven days total.) It all depends on my dental appointment tomorrow and oncology appointment the next week. Praying it will all turn out okay. I still am not feeling great but my DD reminded me I can feel this way at home or being surrounded by loving family in AZ. She has a point! And I will be taking my nurse daughter with me! It will be good to go as we will have a small memorial for my brother there with our side of the family. The TN funeral was all his wife's family. They were married 30 years but she already had grandkids when they married, and they did not live close to any of us. My younger brother has rented an Air BNB in AZ which will sleep all of us. Should be fun, and so good to expose my DD and DGD to lots of family. There will be at least 10 of us.

The new landscapers will start on Monday so when I get back the non-plant stuff should all be in and set (grading, sprinkler system, rocks, fire pit, etc. It has turned into quite a project. Like my DH says, we should spend it now and let the kids enjoy it with us instead of letting them spend it without us. Quite a change from living in our condo.

Take care everyone and I pray the remainder of the week proves restful for you.

Chris

• hersheykiss
    Options

Nancy, I'm grateful that your surgery went well and you are on the mend. I hope you are able to get some much needed sleep before the roofing project commences. Your friend is a dear to assemble the walker for you. Such a relief to not have to wrangle with tools and parts and instead focus on your rest and healing.

Kerry, thank you for sharing the photos of your orchids and Sophie. Sophie's brindle coat is just beautiful.

Chris, it's wonderful having something to look forward to, especially a family trip. I like your husband's attitude concerning the landscaping project.

I'm taking our old car to the body shop on Monday for a paint estimate. The clearcoat is gone, and we don't want any rust. My brother told me to get some fabulous flames painted on the hood and sides. HA!!

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Hi ladies,

Today I have slept off and on all day. My knee is as stiff as a board and very sore. I am not exactly sure what I should be doing to help that. My PT doesn't start until Tuesday so I guess I will figure things out along the way.

My shower stool came today and it was a lot more to it putting it together. I was pretty spaced out on my pain meds and gave up after trying a few steps of assembly and took a long nap. I finally was able to tackle it and got it together. Now I don't have the energy to get a shower yet but I am thankful the shower chair is ready to go whenever I am ready to go.

Kerry, isn't it fun when another bloom opens. I have several opening now and since the plants are so new to me it is hard to keep track of them but I am glad I splurged and had them delivered. Your Sophie is a beauty. She blends right in with her blanket. Cammie, my cat snores as well. It is so funny to hear. I am glad you are getting some better sleep. I hope you can get all of the treatments in for insurance purposes. Oh how I remember that effort when I had my radiation. So you have another surgery to do after rads. That is a lot. I pray that it will all go smoothly for you.

Chris, I am glad to hear that you are going to do a road trip to AZ. I hope your dental apt went okay today. It will be nice to have a memorial for your brother with your side of the family. I hope it all works out so you can go. Getting your landscaping all in place will be good. I know all of your new addition seemed to take forever but now I hope you will really be able to enjoy it along with your new landscaping. I sure hope you start feeling better.

Hershey, I think you should paint your car black with orange flames all over. I agree with your brother. LOL Yes, I am resting up before the roofers take over tomorrow. I bought a bunch of ear plugs when I had my last surgery and the water main replacement that took place next to my house went on for weeks and weeks. Nothing like the sound of an air hammer waking you up. I can't imagine the roofing two day project will even hold a candle to what I have already endured.

Have a good night dear sisters. I am really spaced out on pain meds so please excuse anything that doesn't make sense!!!!

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    Options

Nancy, I hope the roofers make short order of tearing off and installing the new roof. Your comment about painting my car black with orange flames made me laugh. That's what my brother had in mind!

How is your knee feeling today? Did your surgeon's office get back with you? No doubt PT will help with the joint stiffness. You are a compliant patient and faithful with your home exercises and stretching. Those things will speed your recovery as well. I continue to pray that you see improvements each day.

• sunshine99
    Options

Nancy, I like you on pain meds! I love your idea of painting the car black with orange flames!

Hopefully the roofing process with be quieter than the plumbing. Jackhammers can be deafening. I think the roofing usually goes pretty quickly—at least from our personal experience.

I hope your pain is under control and that the meds are causing you too many SEs in the "digestive" department, if you know what I mean.

I saw my MO yesterday. I have a PET scan and an MRI of my brain scheduled and got my Zometa infusion and Faslodex shots done. DH left to go skiing for a few days. I'm so glad he's doing this. It's good for his body and soul. MO is unsure if this new treatment is working. Tumor markers are continuing to rise, albeit slowly, but it's too soon to really know. Headaches are getting more constant, which is why she ordered the MRI.

DH's sister was here for a class reunion and stayed with us for a couple of nights. Oh, my! What a visit from heaven she was. We stayed up late and she shared so many wonderful scriptures with me. I'm still basking in the joy of her visit. I'm so blessed!

Love to all,

Carol

• intolight
    Options

Carol, I love that you are enjoying family visits. And I totally understand your feeling that your DH gets away to have fun. I love it when mine goes on his HAM radio trips for the same reason.

Nancy, so happy to read you are still doing well although with some pain. But that is normal and I pray you have it all under control.

Hershey, I have a fun vision of you in your muscle car!

You all make me want to buy some blooms!!! Our yard flowers won't be planted until May. Maybe I will sneak a few into my house after my AZ trip. I was thinking of setting something up near my dining room window.

Well, off to the dentist… Hope my shaking doesn't impede his work!

• pinkbutterfly71
    edited March 7
    Options

Good morning ladies !! I need some insight to the “lingo” in here …. I don’t know what DH and DR etc stand for HELP please 🙃

Radiation dept finally called this morning I have a “dry run” tomorrow morning and my 1st treatment starting Monday at 2:45pm 🙏🏼 and every day after that except weekends of course. My expander in my r side of my chest has my skin so tight and red it’s painful 😣.

On another note I did find a interesting and informative lymphedema book I’m going to order and add that to my list of eductional tools to help myself and my clients when I am back at it eventually; which looks like that may be next year at this point. I have a second surgery 6 months after radiation is finished.

Have a blessed day and remember you are all loved unconditionally 💕

• hersheykiss
    edited March 7
    Options

Kerry, it took me some time to catch onto the abbreviations too! DH equates to Dear Husband, DSIL to Dear Son- or Sister-in-Law, DB to Dear Brother, etc.

I'm glad to see that the Radiation Department has contacted you and your treatments will soon begin. As Nancy said earlier, treatment goes fast once you get into the swing. I found that I spent more time getting undressed and dressed than I spent having the actual treatment itself!

Love the banner, and blessings on your day!

• pinkbutterfly71
    edited March 7
    Options

@hersheykiss thank you so much for the help. I figured that was the meanings but wanted to confirm lol. I’m ready to get this radiation finished and recover so I can move on to the next surgery. This diagnosis is doing a number on my household lately and I’m frankly feeling like why even bother sometimes but then I remember what happened to me in recovery when it was taking me too long to wake up….I was sitting at a table across from Jesus holding hands and just talking away and it was the most peaceful, loving, and encouraging time I kept hearing my name being called far away and I kept telling Jesus I don’t want to go back I want to stay with you and I would say NO to the voice calling my name. To which Jesus would reply every time with a gentle squeeze of my hands he would say “it’s not your time yet, I need you to go back” and this went on for a while and I was crying pleading with HIM and he gave me one more tight hand squeeze and said “it’s time to go back Kerry I need you to do the work I created you for” and just like that I woke up in the hospital recovery room crying my eyes out! Back when I had my biopsy and got the Diagnosis I was alone and sitting in my car in the hospital parking lot crying. I kept asking what am I not doing? What did I do wrong this time ? Then I yelled What do you want me to do God ?” And HE simply replied clearly like sitting next to me in my car, “Tell them all about me” ! So when I feel like I am today frustrated, in pain and just in all my feelings, I remember back to THAT TABLE TALK I had with Jesus in all of HIS glory and feeling his hands squeeze mine like the loving Father HE IS and remember I am here to tell everyone about HIM, to MAKE HEAVEN CROWDED! God has already WON the battle, I’m still here to stand in the gap while our brothers and sisters come back to HIM. All glory be to God, to my Adonaí, my Healer, my Protector, my Father, my Friend, my Creator. Be blessed ladies HE IS with each and every one of you, he PROMISED and God never lies 🦋

• intolight
    Options

Kerry, I love, love your post! Yes, we are still here because some of our loved ones still need our salvation prayers. My DB was saved only two weeks before his passing a week ago, and I know it was a direct answer to prayer. I still have loved ones who need my prayers. It will be eight years in May since my original diagnosis of Stage IV, and I fight on because God keeps me here. Every day I pray that everything I do and say will glorify God. Not that I am perfect—far from it—but we all have a purpose to glorify God.

Also, I know somwhere there is a post with all the abbreviations in it. I couldn't find it quick but I will keep looking…

As a side note, I am smiling big because I have no dental issues. My tooth pain is merely sensitivity. Yahoo! (If you know me, you understand!) It is snowing again. We already have an inch in one hour. My family is home and safe except for the little one who is still in school. It will be ok as the roads are still clear.

Blessings… Chris