Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Options

Comments

• C130sunshine
    C130sunshine Member Posts: 47
    edited April 2010
    Options

Sheila - I loved Blowing Rock.  I went to Westglow spa back in the early 2000's.  I hope you have a great time.  I can not wait for "our" women's retreat.....we go in October.

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited April 2010
    Options

The campground we go to is about 4 miles past Westglow on hwy 221. It is a beautiful area and I am glad that I am so close to it. The highway dept is working on widening out hwy 321 south of Blowing Rock to a 4 lane hwy. At least the road closures are only during the week and not on the weekend.

Sheila

• lbmt
    lbmt Member Posts: 49
    edited April 2010
    Options

Mimi, i am so glad you found this thread. it has blessed to me and i know it will for you.

that the doctors said it is in situ, is a good thing. although the  mast sounds scary it  is a good way to go.

you will be flooded with a thousand different fears and feelings. but please know you will be in our prayers daily.

Dearest Lord Jesus,  touch our sister and give her wisdom in her decisions and a peace of mind as she starts on this road. bless her and her family and bring them comfort.

in Jesus name amen.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited April 2010
    Options

Cake - I was out walking and felt a need to pray for you so I did.  Hope everything is OK.

Prayers for everyone else too!  {{hugs}}

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited April 2010
    Options

Laurie ... that was really touching.

Barbe ... who knew we were happy in the 1950's ... we are in such a hurry to grow up so we can do "anything we want."  Its only when you are grown that you realize you have even less control and a heck more responsbility!

• lvtwoqlt
    edited April 2010
    Options

Women's retreat was wonderful. Although it was slightly stressfull, only because our church was in charge. The skit with the queen bee went well on Friday night, everyone got a laugh out of it. The audience saw a bucket with water in it, my sister swapped the bucket behind the bee hive for a bucket with confetti and yellow paper shredds and when the queen bee said 'buzz, buzz, worker bee, give it all to me.' she got the paper and confettin thrown in her lap but not the water others were expecting. My devotion on Sat morning with my Bee-attitude list went well. I added scriptures to match each bee-attitude. I am sore today from walking up and down the hill, standing on the concrete floor, and walking up and down the stairs.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited April 2010
    Options

JO that was beautifull, I got inner peace reading it. Thanks for sharing.

Sheila, glad it went well! A "good" sore is better than one you don't deserve.

• lvtwoqlt
    edited April 2010
    Options

The thing is Barbe, it is the lower back arthur that is hurting. I am going to get my plug-in heat/massage back pillow off the shelf in the closet tonight and use it to hopefully relax my back before I go to yoga tomorrow night. If I don't I won't be able to move at all wednesday.

Sheila

• hope_m
    hope_m Member Posts: 24
    edited April 2010
    Options

Wow a lot of you sound as though you are in my neck of the woods!  I live in Greenville, SC, and my parents are near Hendersonville.  I spent this weekend at Lake Junaluska in western NC and my husband and I used to go to either Blowing Rock or Asheville every fall (either to the Grove Park in Asheville or to the Chetola Resort in Blowing Rock).  And I loved, loved my drive from Greenville up to Louisville, KY, earlier this year.  It is so beautiful throughout that part of the country!

Hope M.

• lvtwoqlt
    edited April 2010
    Options

Hope, I live in Lenoir NC, just south of Blowing Rock at the foot of the mountain.

Sheila

• lbmt
    lbmt Member Posts: 49
    edited April 2010
    Options

Jo that was so wonderful, i did need that today.

I haven't seen Spar on here in a while, is everything okay, does anyone know?

I read psalm 27 last night, it was very encouraging to me.

God bless hope all my sisters have a blessed day in the Lord.

• cakeisgreat
    cakeisgreat Member Posts: 188
    edited April 2010
    Options

Groundhog...thank you so much for praying for me!  I love when God puts each other on our hearts.  My big quandry right now is whether to return to work two days a week, or stay home and "live large," ha ha!  I have 4 kids and big house and hubby who wants all my attention (loves me!), but the money would be great for the Christian school tuition.  I cant figure out what God wants me to do!  Before BC, I worked 3 days+ a week and it was hard on the family, so I guess we're a little nervous that life could go bonkers.  That's my big thing, and I sure could use the prayers on that!  Thank you thank you!

I hope everyone else is doing well!

• badger
    edited April 2010
    Options

{Cake} with 4 kids you have the hardest and most important work there is! 

Somewhere I have a button that says Every Mother is a Working Woman.

Gonna head for a post-supper walk around the block with DH.

Praying daily for all my sisters here!  {{hugs}} 

• barbe1958
    edited April 2010
    Options

Cake, if you are so blessed as to not have to work, give your family your all! Make that your mission in life; to give your kids a childhood full of wonderful memories.

• kmccraw423
    edited April 2010
    Options

Cake, I second Barbe.

• arnie2two
    arnie2two Member Posts: 374
    edited April 2010
    Options
    and I third !!!!   That time with your children flies by and then you look back and say "Where did it go?"   I would stay home with them as long as you can!!!   ((((((hugs to you all)))))
  • robinlbe
    robinlbe Member Posts: 73
    edited April 2010
    Options

And I fourth it!

I stayed home (and homeschooled, even!!) for a long time.  I gave piano and flute lessons out of my home for extra $ (to take the kids to McDonalds, etc).  We had to be *really* thrifty in order to this, and really sacrifice...BUT, our needs were always met, and even some of our wants.  God provided for us in so many ways.  When it came to where that wasn't cutting it, God literally dropped a part-time teaching job in my lap - at a school two blocks from my house, working just 2.5 hours every morning.  I was able to do that for five years.  I was asked several times to take on full-time teaching jobs, but I turned them down each and every time - knowing that MY own children came first. 

I figure I have only ONE shot at raising and rearing my children.  I can never go back and get today again.  However, I can always get another job.  I can always find a way to make a dollar.  But I can't go back and get a "yesterday." 

This year, I was offered, yet again, a full-time teaching job - doing my absolute FAVORITE thing at my absolute FAVORITE school....and I turned it down.  Why?  Because even though my oldest son just finished his freshman yr of college today, I still have a 17 y.o. daughter (who will be a senior in high school next year) and a 12 y.o. son (who will be in 8th grade next year) at home - who need me at home JUST as much as they did when they were little.  Soooo, I will still be working part-time....just two days a week. 

IF we weren't needing my income SO desperately, I would stay home ALL the time with them - even now.  I wish I could. 

Sometimes, the days are long....yes.  But the years are short.

If you can possibly be home with your children, DO.  They are your mission field - your first ministry.  And they are the ones for whom you will be accountable for - just as I am accountable for my own children.  To talk about the Lord in our comings and our goings, in our sittings and in our lying downs, in our eatings, in our playings, and all the times (my version...)

Enjoy those little darlings all you can....We have one shot at it.  I know I mess up a lot, but at least I am messing up with a lot of love and prayer on my side :)

blessings...robin

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited April 2010
    Options

I fourth!!!  Pray on it, but the bills will pile up and when the kids are older, if you still want to work a couple days to pay them down, you can do it then.  The kids you only get one childhood with them - the Lord will provide one way or the other.

Blessings all.

Oops!  Gotta be fifth.

• patoo
    edited May 2010
    Options

I know someone asked about spar2.  She's okay, no new physical issues but still waiting for the foot to heal.  She is walking with a boot and says "Hi" to all.  We all need a break at times so please keep her in prayer. 

• Hopefloats41725
    Hopefloats41725 Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2010
    Options

I just turned 59.  I have been in the wilderness for fourty years and was just finally getting my life back together getting a divorce.  Just when I had all my ducks in a row an employee and minister graduate dropped into my department across the hall from where I work.  He had been going through a divorce for about a year and it was almost finalized.  Both of them had three small children and a long custody battle, in which he won half custody and his home back.  He thought I was single and though when he found out that I wasn't available, he kept coming in and visiting me anyway.  About five weeks later, I told him that I had been planning a divorce for years and it would be in about five more months, due to a CD coming due.  We visited and flirted innocently all these months, he had me lined up to be a ministers wife and the step mother of his children, the questions were non-ending until we started kissing and hugging.  During this time, just before Christmas I found out that I had Invasive Lobular Carcinoma and it didn't matter to him, he said he was attracted to me spiritually.  He stood by me through the double mastectomy, though he thought divine healing would be best.  Also one of two lymph nodes were affected with the C word.  I admired God and him so much, I stood in divine healing for months and wouldn't seek anymore treatment, other than getting my areola's created.  When my divorce went to court about 7 months later. We only got too close once and he apologized deeply and started ending our relationship.  He said our relationship was just carnal, though I knew we were soul mates and so much alike, he not only worked accross the hall, the house that he earned back, happened to be right accross the street about a half mile down from my house.  The simularities were amazing, even our birthdays were one week apart and our denomination and love for God was also simular.  I know this was God sending this man to me.  But now he wanted out, I think it was because when I became available, I wanted to see him outside of work and more of him.  I had to tell him to keep the door open, that I believe we are meant to be together.  He is worn out and financially broke,  too busy working sixty hour shifts, half custody of three kids all under the age of eight, the repairs of his home, yard, financial stress, caused us not even to have a first date night.   What I thought and said was, "You didn't even let us fellowship with the Lord, just the three of us."  I was shocked, he ruined our birthdays, no church fellowship together, none of the dreams he build up for me verbally were even coming to pass.  Though the bible says not to hold resentment.  So I talked with him in a mature way, which shocked him and  told him, after he got his life together that I would be here and he knew where I was.  I also told him that I wanted him to go, get his finances in order, do the repairs and fellowship with God. I then felt a revelation from God to stress that, ..."and when you do fellowship with the Lord, he is going to tell you that it is ME!  It is me, we are suppose to be together."  He listened, could of left anytime, though he stayed as long as I let him and then I almost pushed him out the door for the last time (tearing up).  .  I also told him that I had a love for him.  Through all my conversation, he said he would keep the door open.  So I am praying for him to return by the end of this year, with his finances met and his responsibility lightened of yard and home repairs.  Then I had to think, as Joyce Meyers said, "What about me?"  So I called my surgeon and within three days I was back in the hospital with my fifth surgery of the year removing the remainder of my lymph nodes and having a port for chemo inserted.  I pray that when he finds out that I am going forward with chemo, it won't matter.  During this time of his adjustment, I will be fairly occupied under God's work in process.  Then when he is financially and, physically ready to date and see a woman, that he will hear the Holy Spirit ministering unto him saying, "It is she (me), go get her".  I have to do eight chemo's, the PET showed nothing else but the lymph nodes (stage 2).  When this all began meeting my Soul Mate, I told him that I wanted to be well and healthy for the children.  Though I know he prefers a woman of faith that will be a good Christian role model.  So Sisters in Christ, please pray that my decision to have the Lord heal me through medicines and physicians, that it won't matter, that I am whole for him and for myself.  Meanwhile I will be in the Word, getting it into the midst of my heart, getting ready to be the minister's wife.  Thank you!     

• kmccraw423
    edited May 2010
    Options

Robin ... I bet your children are awesome because they have an awesome mom!  Gosh, you are so right.  Time passes and before you know it they are all grown.  In the eyes of the Lord, all of us should be getting our priorities straight.  A child, afterall, is a precious blessing from the Lord and there are no 'do-overs.'  I have never been blessed with my own children but God has provided four little ones in our family that I would lay down my life for.

Patoo ... hi!  Thanks for the update on Spar.  I worry about her a lot!

Arnie ... hi!  I have not been posting for a while (for no apparent reason!) and wanted to catch up which as you know can be a daunting task on the boards!

Carelen ... welcome to the club no one wants to join - once in, however, you will meet some awesome and knowledgeable women who quickly become your friends.

To one and all ... blessings on this most holy day.

• badger
    edited May 2010
    Options

{{JO}} praying for B9 results for you!!

• patoo
    edited May 2010
    Options

Yes, JO, prayers for B9.

Carelen, JO is on the money about the Christian counselor.   I won't go into details but am speaking from experience   I wish only the best for you but please be careful.

• kmccraw423
    edited May 2010
    Options

JO -- I did need a break but I'm back now!  Gosh, I am praying hard for God's healing in your life and pray, pray, pray that it is B-9.

Being a Christian is a lot harder then it looks.  My family is bickering and it is hard not to get involved but I am trying to stay out of it.  To some I would like to say "Quiet!  I've heard all of this many times before - I don't want to hear it again!"  However; which do any of you think - let them rant and rave and get out their stress with me as a sounding board or tell them which subjects are off limits?

• barbe1958
    edited May 2010
    Options

I usually say that I don't even want to hear about it! I know my opinion won't make a difference and I just might put off the wrong person...Wink That way, I'm left out of the "remember when's...."

JO, you didn't expect to hear until Wednesday morning....just keep breathing. That's all you have to do. But PLEASE let us know as soon as you can. I will be checking in constantly to hear the good news.

• mbtlcsw01
    mbtlcsw01 Member Posts: 250
    edited May 2010
    Options

Kathleen, families can make us crazy.  I've learned to stay out of as much drama as possible.  If it doesn't have anything to do with me, I steer clear.  Now when we do this and if it is a new behavior for us, our family members will do just about anything to get us pulled back in again.  When you say, "I've heard all this before" from family, could be they really don't want help/answers, just to complain.  When we have to listen to it, it can really bring us down.  We need all we can to keep up our energy and health.  I agree with Barbe, most of the time, our opinion won't make much difference. 

JO, hang in there lady.  We are all praying for you.

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited May 2010
    Options

What I want to know is, how have I missed this thread for a month and a half???  I am on this forum nearly every day and most days several times, but tonight was the first time I saw it.  I just spent the past hour reading all 11 pages of the thread.  I am glad I found it.  It is always good to surround yourself with Christian friends.

I will be 48 at the end of this month and have 3 wonderful boys, ages 15, 19 and 25.  Of course, the 15 year old is still home, the 19 year old in college an hour and a half away but comes home nearly every weekend and will be home for the summer after Friday.  And, my oldest is still here for now pursuing law schools.  So, I basically still have all of them around and I am glad.  Not looking forward to an empty nest!

You can read my cancer history in my signature line below.  Basically, I have been on this BC journey for 2 years.  First with IDC/DCIS in 4/08.  And while still taking chemo and during radiation for that cancer, was diagnosed with IBC in 2009.  Was referred to MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston and they switched chemos and finally found the right cocktail that seems to have kicked the cancer's butt to the curb.  Had a uni-mx in Feb. and now seem to be in remission finally.  The trick will be to stay that way!

I have always been raised in the Christian church and gave my heart to the Lord at about age 10.  My walk with the Lord is a work in progress.  I can't imagine my life without God guiding me.  The thing I am constantly striving for is to let go of the control and letting God show me what His will is for me.  That is sometimes hard.  I want to be in control!  So, I am really working to put my worries at God's feet and allow Him to guide my path.

I had a joy this week.  I have a very dear friend who, although raised in the church, fell away years ago and lost faith in God.  I have spent several years ministering to my friend -- in bits and pieces.  Too much too fast only pushed him in the wrong direction.  A lot of praying for God to help me lead my friend back to the Lord.  My friend has also watched my BC journey and how not even that has caused my faith to waver.  Long story short -- this past Sunday, while praying with my friend, he gave his heart to the Lord.  I am so thankful.  

Again, glad I noticed this thread tonight.  Glad to meet all of you.  God's blessings to each of you.

Faith

• patoo
    edited May 2010
    Options

Faith316 - that's a wonderful testimony.  Another one for the glory of the Lord.  Thanks for sharing (and I'm glad you found this thread!)

• robinlbe
    robinlbe Member Posts: 73
    edited May 2010
    Options

Hi Faith316...loved reading your story :)    My oldest is 19 and just finished his 1st yr. of college and got home on Saturday (two days ago).....he was three hrs away, but SAYS he wants to transfer (but since you read this entire thread, you've already read my request for prayer for him).

blessings...robin

• ebarry
    ebarry Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2010
    Options

This sounds like a fun thread. I'm a believer as well. When first dx the verse Romans 8:28 came to mind...that all things work togethr for good to those who love God. I decided to look for the good in it. I learned a lot the first time around, but I didn't learn everything. One year later I had a recurrence. This time, God said I needed to take care of myself. I have been living on adrenaline for years, and my body was burning out. I had several blood test and learned that my body was a mess. I' was dx with hypothyroidism, without the symptons. I had more energy than most...but, the truth was my body couldn't take me pushing it so hard. This Spring I got the flu for the first time in seven years. I'm seeing now how human I really am, and vulnerable. So right now I'm trying to find my way to better health, and believing that my cancer dx, although early cancer was a wake up call for my good. ebarry