Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Options

Comments

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited April 2010
    Options

Barbe, the Lord knows you and He lives for you as much as for me. 

• arnie2two
    arnie2two Member Posts: 374
    edited April 2010
    Options

Good morning sistahs!!!!   This is the day that the Lord has made...I will be glad and rejoice in it!!!

Just wanted to say "hi" and wish you all a blessed day...  I had the grandkidlets while my daughter worked the last two days :-)  so I'm gonna be busy today catching up on wash, cleaning etc.  

(((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited April 2010
    Options

Good morning church ladies!

Jo ... I love "HE'LL FINISH THE WORK HE STARTED IN ME WITH A FUTURE ONLY HE CAN TELL"  I just need to remember he doesn't make mistakes and I am a work in progress.

Arnie ... think of all the wonderful memories you will create for them!  I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said most people are as happy as they allow themselves to be; so I will take your advice and let myself be "glad and rejoice."

Barbe ... that sucks!

Patoo ... Good morning!

And to everyone else, have a blessed day!

• lbmt
    lbmt Member Posts: 49
    edited April 2010
    Options

i was wondering if you all could help me figure out how to download my picture, i have tried several times but no luck. thanks and God bless laurie

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited April 2010
    Options

People often wonder why I'm such a happy person when I have so many health burdens, but now I see why. I WANT to be happy and so I am! Laughing I hope my grace and dignity with my health trials have set a good example for those around me.

Arnie, your DH has been very much in my prayers lately. Have they done anymore work for his stent?

• barbe1958
    edited April 2010
    Options

I can google it JO, thanks. It blows me away with what people will complain about. A lot of people didn't think I had cancer as I was so calm and still my funny, silly self. When I came back flat-chested a lot of jaws hit the ground!

The down-side is that sometimes docs don't think I'm hurting enough, but thankfully I now have a wonderful PCP.

• arnie2two
    edited April 2010
    Options

Barbe...good for you!!!!  I agree...I choose to be happy.  When I do have a day that I'm a bit down, or circumstances cause me stress... I try to revert it back to good.  It sure makes life easier!!!   Dh is doing ok.  I do thank you for the prayers!!!!  He tires easily and I'm hoping when they can finally do the procedure he'll get some of his "pep" back.  Keep praying!!!  xoxoxo

Ibmt... have you figured it out yet?  If not I can try to help you.  Pm me exactly what you're trying to do...ok?

Hope everyone is having a blessed evening!  (((((((((((((hugs to all my sistahs!))))))))))))))

• arnie2two
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Kathleen!  I didn't look back far enough to see you before I submitted.  How ya doin'?  I'll have to find your phone # and give you a call one of these days!  (((((((((((((hugs))))))))
  • patoo
    edited April 2010
    Options

Barbe, I'm also one that is always smiling.  It's just the way I am.  I decided long, long ago that I wasn't going to make myself sick over things I can't control.  Life happens, why get stressed over it.  So after my initial breakdown over my dx, which lasted all of a day, people thought there was nothing going on. 

I credit it all to faith and my trust in God.  With Him all things are possible.

• mbtlcsw01
    mbtlcsw01 Member Posts: 250
    edited April 2010
    Options

The book being referred to is Happiness is a Choice by Minirth and Meier.  They wrote several books.  All of them good. 

I have a wicked sense of humor--seems similar to you Barbe.  I find laughing about things is so therapeutic.  I remember the first time I really laughed about something during chemo.  It seemed to foreign because I had not laughed for so long.  Peace ladies.

• robinlbe
    robinlbe Member Posts: 73
    edited April 2010
    Options

Saw this thread last night for the first time, and had a chance to read through it all tonight.  Some of you I already "know", and the others, I hope to get to know :)

I am 50, have been married to the same wonderful Christian man for nearly 27 years, and we have three kids- almost 19 y.o. son, 17 y.o. daughter, and 12 y.o. son.  I have been a Christian for so long, I can't even really remember when I asked Jesus into my heart, but I renewed my commitment to the Lord while in college.  I am a third generation Christian, as well as a third generation "cancerite".  I am blessed in being a survivor.  My g'father (dad's dad) lived for only six months after his diagnosis, and my dad only lived for five months.  My g'mother (mom's stepmom) lived only a year after her diagnosis, and thankfully, my mom has been cancer free!!

I was just diagnosed five months ago, and the day before I rec'd the phone call from my BS giving me the news, I had already figured out I had cancer.  I hadn't had any lumps, bumps, or rashes....just calcifications that formed an "area of concern" that showed up on a routine mammogram.

But you see, I have always felt that I was called to be a missionary....ever since I was a little girl.  The only thing is, I have never felt a call overseas.  I have never been led to go on a mission trip, although I WANT to!!!  It seems that God keeps putting me in different circumstances, causing them to be my misssion fields.  For many years, my mission field was the public classroom teaching 2nd and 3rd graders.  But then, our children came.  My 2nd pregnancy was a most difficult one, which resulted in our daughter being born 16.5 weeks early!  She weighed a little over one pound, four ounces, and spent three months in the NICU.  For five years, my mission field was working with, talking to, helping out moms of preemie babies.

Then, we began homeschooling our children.  I spent hours on the phone helping moms, talking to moms....all about homeschooling.  I arranged field trips.  I taught at co-ops.  This was my mission field.

Then, as money became an issue, God led me to a part-time job - at a middle school just two blocks from my house.  In the years past, I had always said I'd never teach anything above 3rd grade.  Well, God gave me a job teaching 7th grade general music.  Funny thing is, this was a grade I'd never taught AND my degree isn't music!!  Although I took many music classes in college and have always been involved in music in many ways.  The year went wonderfully and my principal encouraged me to get certified in music.  The state gave me my music endorsement  (not "that" simply, but did, nevertheless)...what a blessing.  I worked with kids from low economic situations, and found these kids just needed to be loved.  This was my new mission field.

Then, this past fall, just four weeks before school started, I rec'd a call letting me know that my job had been eliminated due to scheduling changes.  I had been there for five years!  I was heart-broken.  I just couldn't figure out why this was happening.   Why would God allow my mission field to be taken from me??  I was even working with the Campus Life (Youth for Christ) group there.....

The day after my biopsy, that's when it hit me.  I KNEW this was going to be cancer.  That's when I figured out that God had moved me out of the middle school that I loved because He was moving me into a new mission field.....breast cancer.  (He also moved me into THREE elementary schools, too!)

In these last five months since my diagnosis, I have met more people....I have been able to share my story.  I have been able to give my testimony and share God's goodness.  I have been able to encourage others here on bc.org.  

Sure, I've had my down days, too.  God didn't promise us perfect days.....and He didn't promise us we wouldn't have trials.  But He did promise us His perfect peace, and I think it's possible to be sad, yet have peace.

You know, I look at my four drain scars - in the sides of my chest - and I think of the piercings in Jesus' sides.....I really thought of that on Friday......

wow....Sorry I wrote so much the first time......

blessings....robin

• arnie2two
    edited April 2010
    Options

robin!!!!  Thank you for sharing your story!  I don't know why I'm always amazed at how our Father works...but I am.   I guess I just stand in awe of His Master Plan!!!

I too, have had an amazing, precious journey through this ugly thing called breast cancer.  The day I found out I had cancer I was lying on the gurney, with my dh and sister sitting by me.  The surgeon peeked his head in the door and said, "Janet it is cancer", and left.  I looked at my dh and sister's eyes forming tears and layed my head back on the gurney and after just a moment said, "Praise you Father".  I had prayed and told Him I'd praise Him either way.  Then I looked at my dh and said, "Lets get ur done"...lol  Anyway, I too, have met some amazing people that I know the Father has placed in my path.  Not that I'd want to go through all of it again, but He made the journey "Praise worthy".  :-)

Again welcome to our little circle of love, praise and awe.

Hope you all have a blessed day... janet xoxoxo

• kmccraw423
    edited April 2010
    Options

Hey Arnie ... how are you this fine spring day!  Are you going to go back to crafts now that the weather is so nice?

Robin ... welcome!!!!I do think the Lord watches over us  and provides help in various ways ... not in the ways we thought He would.

You have to be constantly on the lookout for His plans.  There are so many times, I believe, that He has used us as his tool - whether it was it was a kind word, a compliment or you actually saved someone's life.  I think the Lord is subtle.  You may not always know when you've been the tool but you sure know when you are the recipient!

I receive the Lord's subtle blessings everyday - right here on BCO.

Jo ... must get a hold of that book.

Barbe ... I know what you mean about humor.  When my heart stopped at the cardiologist's office and I had to be jump started, my sister called and spoke with the ER doctor (my sister is a doctor, too).  He told her my EKG was 'ugly,' and I was out in the ER joking with the nurses!

Everyone have a blessed day and thank you for letting me share a bit of your world.

• patoo
    edited April 2010
    Options

Thanks for sharing with us.

Robin, that's a fantastic testimony.  He is awesome.  A sign at a church I once was a member, at the end of the exit driveway said simply "You are now entering the Mission field".  I started a ministry in my current church last year and my presentation before the congregation started out by telling them the Mission field started right here at home, mininistering to one another and our neighbors.  You are right where God wants you.

Kathleen is absolutely right that a kind word to a co-worker, a stranger in a store, a child, can work miracles in that person's life, and we may never know.  That is why it is important to stay prayed up and let the life of Christ shine through us.

I thank God every day for each of you.

• lbmt
    edited April 2010
    Options

i want to download a picure of me, but it says it is unable. i hit browse and pick out the picture but then nothing, after i click on browse i really don't see where to click on download photo. like my other blog use to have. thanks arnie,,,,,

robin, welcome i also seen some amazing things when i went thru bc. it is so neat we can share and encourage each other.

• arnie2two
    edited April 2010
    Options

I checked it out Ibmt... I'm not sure what's happening with your avatar.... There should be a prompt underneath the browse space that says save.  hmmmmmmmmmmm

Anyone else????  Any ideas????

• spar2
    spar2 Member Posts: 3,631
    edited April 2010
    Options

I believe we are all right where God wants us to be at the time, that he knows from day 1 to the end of our life every single thing that will happen in our lives, he gives us free choices to make.  Patoo, I also with my family that are not believers I just let go and let God.  I am so thankful that my husband is a Christian man, he studies the word every single morning and sets a good example for me to follow.  He does so much God work, like repairs stuff at church, mows for the church, does the baked potatoes, and just so much.  I have felt pretty useless not being able to walk but the church found a way to make me be part of it all by making me the church editor, writing articles and sending pictures into the newspaper each week and I will be working the nursery soon I hope.  Everyday even is only a smile we can help someones life be a little brighter.  I am so thankful for all of you everysingle day and pray for all my bc sisters daily.  It is a lot harder learning to walk again after being on bedrest for months, tried to do too much too soon.  I can't even walk through the house without huffing and puffing.  So now am trying to just do a little then rest and do a little more then rest and it seems to be working.  God bless and love you all.

• lbmt
    edited April 2010
    Options

Spar, you are in my prayers also.. it has been a great joy to me these last 2 weeks getting to know all of you.

arnie, thanks for trying i will try again. hugs, and hope you all have a very blessed day in the Lord.

• patoo
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Spar, take it easy - you'll get there.  I'm amazed at what the Lord has done in your Christian life.  Remember, what? a year ago, when you were struggling in a church.  Now look at you and your DH.  We serve an awesome God.  I don't know why I'm always so amazed at Him - He continuosly delivers His people - us.
  • robinlbe
    robinlbe Member Posts: 73
    edited April 2010
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/user/FCOGsticks?ytsession=9yUqiWy5FKnffJ_7PWZqGfjFbyJYDV-tDWxDsWZYXu_4M4kLZllD9OOm-4z6Xj86m1tZzWZ3cddS0WdLB6MTcbVBbLdVhzi53gR6YyxyZO3Z7NAa50btD-J2JMTwEzk3xWHovNZ6NeMKxkoPCFUVRXysM9okuyIX08zHQ6BEi-49DMOLw-qhqhIL39BKZMTDXedVwFfWZhsx3ao7qMZ80yaQqiLXS8mCE0KPdMr4-SM5wqxYyZg8wTH2MGJhIDlBxvWjO3C5y23InEzrL10cnK7su--PGVway5OsrQF30TP8LTKADeGEy51drYCmZBQJ

I don't know if this link will work or not....

if not, go to

www.youtube.com/user/fcogsticks

and I think it should take you to a video my daughter just got uploaded....I hopw you will find this a blessing....these three girls are my Sunday School class (one of which is my daughter, the little one pounder I told you about).....we have a "sticks" ministry that we do....this is from last Sunday (Easter Sunday)....with the song, "I Love the Cross" by the Tally Trio...

(I hope I haven't broken any rules by sharing this with you....but just wanted you to be blessed by this....)

I've been rather discouraged today, after having been upbeat for several weeks....Guess it's just part of the emotional roller coaster of all of this...I hit my five month since diagnosis/three month since BMX this week....and not that I dwelled on that, but I just feel discouraged....that's all.  I know I'll feel better after a good night's sleep and a lot of prayer....

blessings....robin

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited April 2010
    Options

Hey Robin, here's a prayer and a {hug} for you!! 

And for all my sisters here, I haven't posted in a while but I think of you often and pray for you too.  I am doing well, tx 3 of 6 on Tues so just about halfway through chemo. 

Trying to walk every morning, appreciating the beauty around me and the wonder of Creation, and the gift of life in my body, it's also a great time to pray!  {{hugs}} all around, wishing you blessings and peace.

• arnie2two
    edited April 2010
    Options

Amen groundhog...I'll take your lead and pray for Robin!  ((((((((((hugs))))))))))))  I just watched the video and it was wonderful...thank you.

Groundhog I haven't met you yet but I'm soooooo happy for you that you're halfway through!!!  I finished my chemo treatments this past September and my radiation treatments on Dec. 14th.  I'll look forward to celebrating with you when you're finished... ((((((((((hugs))))))))))

We did alot of yard work today, etc., etc.  We're both (my dh and I) so sore!!! lol   Also, we are thanking the Good Lord for the strength and stamina to do it. 

((((((((((((Hugs to all my sistahs....hoping you're having a blessed weekend)))))))))))  janet

• kmccraw423
    edited April 2010
    Options

may your sunday be full of blessings

Good morning everyone.  I truly wish you many blessings today and everyday!

Robin:  I don't have sound on my computer.  When my sister replaced her computer I asked for only one thing - sound!  She spent a boatload of money and we still don't have sound!  All that to see I could not appeciate the video - darn it!

While getting estimates for some work in the house, one guy came over to look at what needed to be done.  We chatted and he said he didn't ever worry about money because the Lord will provide whatever he needs.  He just said it so simply and so matter-of-factly, I thought I wish I could do that.  I try to let go and let God but then I take it back because the Lord isn't doing it fast enough!  I have to remember that 'take backsies' are not part of the plan.  I should, once turned over to God, leave it alone - no fretting, no backseat driving (for the Lord yet!) and no 'picking at the scab.  Once I have turned it over to the Lord -leave it be!

• barbe1958
    edited April 2010
    Options

Kathleen, how do you "let go" when it comes to money? That is an every day worrry for me. What would it mean to let go? I still have to go to work of course...but if my banker isn't of the same religious beliefs as me, would he believe that God is going to pay my mortgage? I am saying this tongue in cheek of course, but I've always been taught that God takes care of those that take care of themselves...

How freeing it would be to let go, let God.

• cakeisgreat
    cakeisgreat Member Posts: 188
    edited April 2010
    Options

Hi, all!  Going to church for the FIRST time since DIEP, so pray for me, LOL, that I dont get killed from all the hugs!

Isnt it really nice to have so many brothers and sisters in Christ, who may be acquaintances, but who truly care about us and our well being!  How wonderful!

barbe--I learned to let go of money because all my Christian life God showed me time and time again that He will provide all our needs...and even gave us more!  Scripture tells us we are worse than unbelievers if we dont take care of our family, so I think that's where the "help ourselves" comes in, but whatever that brings in, then we can rest that it will be enough.  Sometimes we've had to sacrifice, but I can say that I have never been in debt my whole life, except my mortgage...which we paid off one house, moved, and now have a mortgage again, but of course, working on that.  We all have somehow managed to put 4 kids through private school every year...even when my husband was on church staff (no discounts either!).  Somehow...God always comes through! 

I dont worry about the big stuff like losing my house (not say that I WOULDNT worry tho...it is possible if I faced it) because I've had friends lose houses, etc., and somehow they were still taken care of also.

Sorry to babble!

• barbe1958
    edited April 2010
    Options

I find it easy to hand over things like my health and the health of my kids and husband. And also the everyday "things" we have to do, like get a job...but the money thing to me is very hard. I have a hard time "asking the universe" to help me financially.

• lbmt
    edited April 2010
    Options

we filled for bankruptcy, somehow i felt it was my fault. but when the lady took a look at our finances, she wondered how we have made it this long, God guided us through all those months and know i find the bankruptcy a blessing. our Lord is so awesome, and sometimes when we struggle i find i hold much tighter to him.

have a wonderful and blessed sunday.

hugs, and prayers to all.

• kmccraw423
    edited April 2010
    Options

Barbe ... I don't know - just everyone keeps telling me God will provide and so far He has.  In the whole scheme of things, we're only here to get a body and learn some lessons we badly need.  And you can't take it with you anyway when you return to God.

Here's a quick story about God providing:  A young family with small children realized that if they paid their tithing their children would not get any Christmas presents.  They prayed about what to do and in the end paid their tithing.  Several weeks before Christmas, the wife was cleaning out a closet and found money for their tithing, having forgotten they had already put it away.

• cakeisgreat
    cakeisgreat Member Posts: 188
    edited April 2010
    Options

cool story!

• patoo
    edited April 2010
    Options

Another similar story.  True.  My couisin and her daughter, Christmas 2006, picked up from Post Office a "Letter to Santa'.  Did the shopping and on Christmas eve went to deliver bags of presents.  No one was home - what to do?  A lady was outside on the steps and they asked her if she knew the family.  She said yes, it was her daughter and grandchildren living with her and her other daughter and child had recently moved in.  There were 7 of them living in a small apartment.  The others were at Christmas eve services at the church down the street.  She stayed behind because she knew the children would be returning expecting to see gifts under the tree.  The lady was worried because there just wasn't money for presents that year and her grandson had written to Santa.  How thrilled they would be now.

The next day, Christmas day, my cousin's daughter was in an auto accident that totalled the SUV.  The car was smashed like an accordion but my cousin's daughter walked away without a scratch.   That is ONLY God.

Barb, we "let it go" and leave it to Him because it is He who ultimately provides all.  Worry about how to pay the mortgage - somehow, but we do have to work for it.  God provides every bird his food but He does not throw it into the nest.  Just as the birds have to work to bring the food to the nest, we have to work to pay our bills.  You are not asking the universe to pay your bills.  You are asking our Creator to help you find a way; working at a job is the way He provided for us. 

IBMT, yes, fililng for bankruptcy was nothing more than God getting your attention.  We never know the way He will use to reach us but we do know that it will be in our best interest.

Okay, enough preaching for today.  Hope no-one takes any offense - none was intended.

Love you all.