Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Latissimus Dorsi Breast Reconstruction

Comments

• Keryl
    Keryl Member Posts: 54

Yes, 3-4 days in hospital is normal for this procedure. On day one I couldn't imagine leaving on day four! I am now almost 16 weeks out and so much better. DiPiggy, thanks for empathizing on the back irritation all along ....I thought I was crazy there for awhile. But honestly, that was the scariest part -- 

For those of you who wondering about kayaking....I kayaked this weekend and I must say, I wasn't very strong, but could do the movement and felt great to be out there. I could sit on beach but did cover my breast with extra towel, it didn't feel good getting hot. I can now do most activities and trying to use both arms as much as possible. I am still going to PT and don't see an end to that yet, and that is fine with me. I am using light weights and bands in addition to the mobilization and scar massage. My back and shoulder bother me more than the breast, for sure. My breast is fine now. I sleep fine now but mid day at work, I do start throbbing. My arm pit also gets tender and sore, it might be lymph node removal area, but PT thinks its more about radiation and scar tissue. 

Computer aggravates and so does driving long distances. I see my onco on Monday for my next check up; I am 6 years clear. I will probably cry when I see him. He was my lifeline. Ok going to Hawaii in a few weeks, not sure I have a bsuit I like and don't care that much about scar showing, mine is vertical. At this point trying to find something that looks good (not matronly) but more about comfort. Hang in there everyone. 

• DPiggy
    DPiggy Member Posts: 132

ronqt1 - I had bmx & double lat & was in the hospital for 6 days.  I was on the floor after my bmx, but my PS had me in ICU for 3 days following lats - that's just her protocol.  After ICU, back to the floor for 2 days, then discharged.  Had 8 drains after both surgeries - 4 back, 4 front.  All but 1 (front right) were out when I came home, that last one came out about 2 weeks later.  Agree w/ naiviv - take deep breaths & continue to tell yourself you can do this.  You will do this - you're strong.

• DPiggy

Keryl - went shopping for bathing suits around 14 weeks out, & spent several hours until finding several that worked.  I didn't want anything matronly either.  I started to get very discouraged, almost in tears, but after mixing & matching, I was happy w/ what the ones that I bought.  I definitely stayed away from anything w/ underwire.  Enjoy Hawaii - you deserve it!

• 2Tabbies
    2Tabbies Member Posts: 927

DPiggy, I'm not surprised your back was the most painful part. If you think about it, it really had the worst trauma. My PS also said that cutting muscle is more painful than cutting other tissue.

Naiviv, what do you mean by phase 2? I've seen that mentioned elsewhere, but can't find anything when I google it, and my PS didn't mention it. Or at least didn't call it by that name. He just talked about the LD flap with TE placement, exchange of TEs for implants, and nipple construction.

Ronna, hang in there. You'll get through this. I hope it solves your pain issue. My PS said to plan for 3-4 days in the hospital so that sounds common. I was only in overnight for my BMX. I didn't know Joan Rivers was an advocate for the homeless. That is admirable.

keryl, happy bathing suit shopping! I don't like matronly either. I looked at mastectomy suits after my surgery last year, but just couldn't force myself to buy one. It's not that they were all ugly. I think it was more of a psychological thing. Since I only needed it for swimming laps at the Y not for a vacation on a beach somewhere, I ended up just wearing one of my old suits and going flat in it. There aren't too many people swimming at 6:30 in the morning, and I don't give a rip what the lifeguards think. I think the one who's a teenage boy might have been staring at me today, but I don't know for sure. Couldn't blame him if he did. The other one is an older guy (60s) who's nice. I've never noticed any odd looks from him, but I wouldn't be surprised if I get some when I come back after surgery with boobs. That might be kind of amusing.

• naiviv
    naiviv Member Posts: 308

Tabbie, most flap reconstruction happens in phases/stages/steps. Your PS just called it by the procedures. Ususally phase 1 is the first surgery and the goal is to move the flap and have it survive.  The second LD phase may be the exchange of TE to implant, third may be nipple reconstruction. I think even matectomy to impants also happens in phases. TE, then exchange, then nipples.

For me phase 2 is  lifting/tightening to create symmetry with the right one. I will not have an implant, nor did I get a TE.  I will have fat grafting to fill it in if needed. fat grafting mat be delayed to a later phase or stage.  My Diep breast has already had a phase 1 and 2a, it will get a little fat when the other does, I may still need a scar revision which will happen later.

V

• 2bluestars
    2bluestars Member Posts: 10

Dpiggy, thanks for sharing, it's nice to know I'm not the only one with what you called a loaf.  It looks so strange, can't wait for it to shrink down.   I'm having intense back pain, sharp spasms, especially when I bend over.   Anyone else?  How long before it starts easing a bit?   My surgery was 8 days ago, so I'm hoping soon. 

• 2Tabbies

naiviv, thanks for the clarification of terminology. Can I ask why you don't need an implant on your LD side? Are they able to do enough fat grafting to take the place of an implant?

• DPiggy

2bluestars - I also experienced pains & spasms.  My PS told me it was perfectly normal.  Nerves & muscles have been manipulated, so you can expect to have those sensations.  Also, you're only 8 days out.  I'm over 20 weeks out, & while I was cleaning last night, my left side started to spasm a little bit when I turned a certain way.  Woke up this morning & was perfectly fine & have been all day.  Be patient, which was/is very hard for me, & listen to your body.  Maybe you did a little too much, or maybe you didn't rest quite enough.  It will get better as days go by.

• Keryl
    Keryl Member Posts: 54

Blue stars...I had the "loaf" but it was on my back where there was extra flesh after they closed me. it has reduced over time...from loaf to muffin to mini muffin..iPS says to wait 6 months , to see how low it goes...  then he says he can correct that. well i want no more invasion right now. Btw, I am one of those that did too much on several occasions and it scared me, but all turned out ok. do listen to your body, push as far as you can within tolerance, but  sometimes you don't know until the next day so be careful.

dipiggy and Kfinn....ok I definitey have the tight back and the saran wrap feeling  across back and chest at 16 weeks. when I exert, it constricts, I thought it was my pec flexing, but its actually my lat that is now on my chest trying to help ....omg, it is confused!!! are you experiencing this?

• tedwilliams
    tedwilliams Member Posts: 97

I had my surgery on Wed. in New Orleans and was discharged on Friday.  Am staying at a rental cottage on the North Shore until my post op appointment.  Having already had a DIEP and  a GAP, I can honestly say this flap surgery was easier for me.  I was sitting in a chair the first evening of surgery and was up and walking the next morning.  I was very impressed by the care I received.  Prior to surgery I met with a physical therapist.  The day of surgery my arm--the side of my mastectomy and previous surgeries--was wrapped to protect during surgery.  The PT also came in twice to go over exercises and did massage on my arm.  The nursing/care staff were amazing.  Currently, itching is my biggest complaint.  My lower back is sore as well as the surgical area.  With pillows I have been very comfortable.  I am taking a very minimal amount of pain meds.  We even went out for dinner last night after we loaded in the cottage. The flap breast is rather large at this point, and I am not complaining. 

Jana

• naiviv

Tabby, short answer is yes. Here is the explanation why.

To begin with in Sept/13 I had Nipple and skin sparring mastectomy with alloderm. I started this road as very full 38 DD's.  In order to do the nipple sparing my nipples were removed and placed higher up and the skin envelope was reduced a bit. I woke up with TE's  that were already filled. So  I looked ike a C cup but still had loose skin all around. I never receiced a fill. I month later my left had infection so TE was removed and replaced, I month later TE had to be removed. From Nov 13 to May 14. I had righty with TE and lefty was a concave hole and never fully healed from infections due to skin not fully closing.

Once you have so many infections I was advised, anything plastic/foreign should be avoided if possible. I was planning on the DIEP so that would not be an issue. I had plenty of belly fat for 2 breasts and they were both DD's refilled. Sadly I lost the left flap it failed due to venous blood flow into breast. I was now with a right flap that was DD and an even bigger concaved left side.  BEcause of the blood flow issue I am no longer a candidate for a free flap. I needed a pedicled on with it's own blood supply. LD was my only option and my PS is proceeding slowly due to my past history, what could have been accomplished in 2 surgeries may take me 3-4. 

My back did not have as much fat as my belly did and I was told the only way to match the ride side would be with a TE  and an eventual implant.  I wanted two breasts made from me, plus wanted to avoid any potential issue with plastics. So I opted to have the right reduced to a full b/c (still looking more like C) when I had the LD on 8/6 . My PS brought the muscle around and was able to take the fat from love handles beyond the skin piece he used as a flap. (that side of my back is tight and no love handle you see a perfect side waist) Right side has the few small handles.  The muscle plus fat was enough to get me close to a match. Next surgery is to lift, tighten to provide same shape as righty (the skin from flap area has the skin removed and it goes inside, I now have a circle under my nipple, after surgery it will be a line.)  Then I will have fat grafting  to help achieve symmetry if needed.  Fat will be taken from my right flank to get rid of those little handles and give me a more even look from the back.

Vivian

• naiviv

TedW.

Glad you are feeling better. I would agree with you. I only had DIEP. For me this LD recovery is easier.  After surgery I did feel arm more restricted, but 4 weeks out, my range of motion has improved a lot and I start PT on Tuesday.

Happy Healing

Vivian

• 2Tabbies

Wow, Vivian, you've been through the mill. I'm glad you have the option of the fat grafting and hope it's all smooth sailing. I was diagnosed and started this whole breast cancer "adventure" just a few days after you. I know I'm really tired of it, and I haven't even dealt with recon yet. You must be thoroughly sick of the whole thing especially surgery. You deserve an easy ride this time around.

Ted, I'm glad things are going well for you so far and hope you can enjoy New Orleans a bit while you're there.

• Warrior_Woman
    Warrior_Woman Member Posts: 819

I again want to thank everyone who is posting your experiences.  The better I know what to expect the better I can prepare myself.  My surgery has been changed with a new date of 11/13.  That gives me an extra 6 weeks to agonize.

• 2Tabbies

Warrior Woman, I'm so sorry about the change to your surgery date. I know what you mean about more time to agonize. Mine is scheduled for 11/11 so just 2 days before yours. I wish it was sooner. But, you and I can recover together via cyberspace.

• 2bluestars
    2bluestars Member Posts: 10

Keryl, I have a back loaf too.  :-(   I haven't over done on the activities yet, when my back seizes, I can't move gawd it hurts.  I noticed the last day or two it's been a lot better, now chest is feeling tighter.  Trying to take it one day at a time.   I look around the house and see tons of things I need and want to do, but it will have to wait.

Tedwilliams, I seriously thought about going there.  Sounds like you're in great hands.  My nurses checked my vitals and that's about it.  Physical  therapy and arm massages, that sounds awesome.  

• tedwilliams
    tedwilliams Member Posts: 97

Day 4 after surgery.  I am amazed at how different the recovery is for the LD than the other flaps I have had.  We have walked to restaurants, gone shopping for groceries and I even hit a Steinmart sale.  I am down to pain pills just at night.  2bluestars, having had 2 other surgeons in two other facilities, I can attest to New Orleans being the best.   Every detail has been thought out in regard to patient care.  There are complaints of glitches in communicating with clinic staff.  Dr. D has been amazing.  He spent much time with my husband after the surgery explaining what he did---something my engineer appreciated.  My lower backs does get tight and tired.  Just moving seems to help.  I have made the bed and helped to fold laundry.   I have not looked to much at the incision.  My husband says it looks like a large smiley face.  The incision runs from under my shoulder blade to the center of my chest.  Drains are probably the worst thing right now.  I do my arm exercises several times a day and use the lotion they sent home for light massage on the arms.  I was given compression stockings to wear when in the car for extended time as well as a portable DVT pump to wear at night as well as when we travel home for clot prevention.  

Jana

• kfinnigan
    kfinnigan Member Posts: 490

Wow Jana/tedwilliams, your recovery sounds pretty amazing!  I wasn't cleared for walks outside of the house for awhile after surgery.

Keryl, my side and chest constrict when exerting physical activity.  And I'm always touching around the lat boob and feel it either on my side or on my back, so weird!!!

2bluestars, I had spasms a lot for a few weeks.  The really odd one for me was on the opposite "normal non-touched side" on the lower right side of my back, that one spasm'd a lot!

Ibuprofen helps still when I overdo it.  Yesterday I went back to an exercise class i used to attend on Sundays, a zumba boot camp type class.  I am able to plank again, slowly factoring in side planks, felt good!  I had to modify some of the moves, I did not want to overdo it.  But my TE didn't like all that work later in the day, it was back to bothering my rib again.  There isn't any room in there to move it dpiggy.  I do see my PS on Wednesday, so I want to ask him about that.

• naiviv

Kfinnigan,

I have the same sensations. If you touch my back I feel it in my breast and vice versa. I hope to get to exercising real soon, I need it.

I see pt tomorrow and am going to ask about trainer with some exp with all these surgeries.

For the first time today I reached up and was able to get something from a top shelf w/o pain. Felt some tightness but no pain. I keep movinig my arms as if swimming but out of water. It is helping. I can't wait to be able to go to water again.

Take care

Vivian

• kfinnigan

Such an accomplishment Vivian to reach up and be able to grab something!  I remember it used to pull a bit, now all normal! yay for you!

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565

Hi girls, two more days for me. I am scared but I hurt so much now on my right side just praying that this procedure gives me some relief.  You guys are all heroes in my eyes and thank you. He will be reducing my implant already there and doing the rest of the procedure with the tissue and muscle.  I have read your accomplishments and although I have been through the mill and back. Maybe I will ask him at last minute to do a little more fat grafting. Anyway, again, you are my warrior ladies and thank you.

Hugs,

Ronna

• 2Tabbies

Ronna, hang in there. I hope you'll feel a huge sense of relief when you wake up from this surgery.  I wish mine was in 2 days instead of 2 months.  I don't need all this time to second guess my decision. 

• ronqt1

2Tabbies, thank you, my problems I have had so my revisions I am wondering if this is the answer.  Two drs. said it could help. So I am going with that.

Will let all know when I come home. Peace and Hugs to all.

Ronna

• kfinnigan

Ronna, thinking of you as the countdown begins, big big hugs!  Report in when you can.  We will be there with you in spirit!

• Warrior_Woman
    Warrior_Woman Member Posts: 819

Everything wonderful for you, Ronna.  I'm wishing you a full and swift recovery.

Tabbies - Looks like we'll be going it together.  I'm glad you're here.

tedwilliams - I am so happy to read your posts.  I don't imagine we could hope for anything better than your experience.  Can you tell me please, what is the compression stockings to wear when in the car and the portable DVT pump?  I want every advantage I can get and I don't know about these.

Vivian - I am so glad you're making steady progress.

kfinnigan - I really appreciate the details you provide.  The more I know what to anticipate the better I will manage.

Keep well everyone!

• ronqt1

Thank you all. Will report back in asap.   Still don't understand how they can make under the boob and arm pain go away with more pain. (Not to scare anyone). Going to PS tomorrow with consent forms, maybe I will be educated some more before the big day.

Hugs to all,

Ronna

• ronqt1

To All

Thank you my sista bc friends. Will be thinking all of you as well and hope to be back son. Happy 

Ronna

• DPiggy

Keryl - I do feel some weird pulling from time to time, & I believe that is the muscle.  It's not painful, just weird & tight. 

I can't say that I've experienced that feeling with touching.  In fact, I never did have the sensation of touching my breasts, but feeling it in my back or vice versa.  I remember by PS talking to me about that possibility & said that through continuous touching, you are actually retraining your brain to feel the sensation in the right places.  I actually started that light, feathery touch, with my husband's help, about 2 weeks post op.  But it never felt confused. 

• sistagirl
    sistagirl Member Posts: 8

2bluestars. .I had double LD flap 4 wks ago. Had rt back spasms only once. My doc prescribes a low dose valium 2mg for muscle spasm. I take it w/tylenol once or twice a day and it works wonders. Only took pain med one day post hosp. So far I only do stretching and arm circles but no lifting over 5 lbs.  My first reconstruction with only tissue expanders and implants looked awful...like an alien. .cold numb round and fake looking. My skin was too thin due to prior lift & augmentation.this LD flap is warm pink and soft & I have complete sensation. I am lucky as I don't need any other treatment as mine was preventive. I think the LD flap looks very natural when complete.  Good luck to you...I think tightness will go away with time.  I also use bio oil from recommendation so from other posts. It is great.

• renee1008
    renee1008 Member Posts: 14

Hi ladies,

Can I jump in here?  I haven't been on in years.  I'm 5 1/2 years past diagnosis, lumpectomy, chemo and radiation.  I am about to have double mastectomy with LD with full size implant (reducing size) due to breast pain, having had severe case of cellulitis/mastitis, and a very tender knot left from allergic reaction to contrast dye to locate sentinel node.  I've had 3 consultations with plastic surgeon, but wanted to hear from women who have had the surgery.  What all to expect.... Can you feel the tissue under your arms where they bring the skin/muscle from your back?