Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

Latissimus Dorsi Breast Reconstruction

Comments

• jbokland
    jbokland Member Posts: 275

I'm home after my shoulder surgery yesterday. Ugh... Hurting a bit.

They found a torn ligament and repaired this occurred during my exchange. My lat flap was done by my PS who developed a 'new' technique that did not involve a second incision. He reaches around through my breast opening. I'm sure it happened then as I was crying in recovery from the arm pain. Sucks

• shorfi
    shorfi Member Posts: 437

jbokland...Hoping you get some pain relief soon. Try to stay on top of it...and rest, rest, rest

• Warrior_Woman
    Warrior_Woman Member Posts: 819

Kathy & Shorfi - My many surgeries are due to my initial failure due to infection. I had to start over again but the LD has gone very well. I'm not having any revisions unless things don't settle well. I'm very happy with how they look and scheduled for nipples in a couple weeks. But I am wondering, do you know what caused your implants to shift under your arms? It's one problem I don't yet have and I'd love to prevent it.

• 2Tabbies
    2Tabbies Member Posts: 927

Tonia, I didn't even have a consultation with my PS until 5 months after rads. I was trying to decide if I could deal with just staying flat. The answer was NO! Anyway, if I'm remembering correctly, I think he said he prefers at least 6 month of healing after radiation before starting recon. It took 4 months for me to get on his surgical schedule so that put me 9 months after radiation. That first procedure was the one to do the LD flap and put in the tissue expanders. Btw, I have shaped "gummy bear" style implants. My PS thinks they result in a more natural look. That said, I've also seen some great natural looking results with round implants. The skill of the surgeon means so much. I've only had my gummies for a month so the jury is still out on what I'll finally look like. It's pretty good so far. Not exactly what I expected, but pretty good.

jbokland, I'm so sorry your flap surgery resulted in this torn ligament! I'd been wishing my PS would have done the procedure you had and saved me the big long incision on my back, but not at the price of a torn ligament. Sad I hope you heal up fast and start feeling better. Yes, it sucks.

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821

I hope everyone is feeling better!!

I have a question, - I am soon to go for a retest of my blood because last time my liver panel was elevated. I had been taking tylenol more often than usual since my LD flap on May 28th, and now going 2 weeks without tylenol to be retested. Hoping it is from the tylenol and nothing more serious. Anyone else have elevated liver panel numbers?

Thank you for any responses!

• Kthielen
    Kthielen Member Posts: 176

warrior woman,

When I had the expanders towards the end of the expansion process my right radiated breast had started moving to the right and under my armpit, when I had the exchange surgery he said he did a lot of work to try to center it back out. Unfortunately it's kind of falling back in that same place, hopefully this will be the one and only revision and it will stay put! Where are you getting your nipple so done? I plan to do the nipple tattoos...

Jo,

Never had pain over my last flap....sorry!

Nyc girl,

I haven't had elevated liver enzymes...sorry I can't help!
  • Warrior_Woman

Kathy - Thank you. I don't think I can handle one more surgery. They're going to have to be coming out from my knees before I opt for anything else.

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821

THank you, JO, for your response. I was taking 4-5 tylenol/day right after surgery, but only taking one or 2 tylenol a day for the last few weeks, so dr seemed to think it was ok. I appreciate your encouragement.

I am so glad that your PS sees that you are healing, and that your pain is lessening. REST REST REST!! Find good books or movie and relax!!

• Kthielen

I remember someone posting a website for natural looking nipples, I think they stick on and last 2-3 weeks at a time. They looked so natural! If you posted it can you reach out and repost the website...I didn't write it down and can't find it now!

Thanks

Kathy

• Warrior_Woman

Kathy - I recall the post. I think she had nipples made from a mold of her own nipples prior to her BMX. I purchased a lot of my supplies here: http://www.pennmedicine.org/pahosp/solutions/ and I think they sell stick on nipples. I'm sure they'll mail them to you if they have them.

• Kthielen

thank you warrior woman!! I will check out that site:)

Kathy

• sam2u
    sam2u Member Posts: 43

Kthielen:

Here you go:

http://www.naturallyimpressive.com/

The post was by HBB on page 159:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/751135?page=159

(Sometimes I think I should have been a detective with my compulsive need to find things once I get them in my head-:lol )

• 2Tabbies

Sam, great sleuthing! We'll start calling you Sherlock. Happy

Jo, often I wish the doc handing out the advice had to experience what I'm going through. Hugs.

• shorfi

Hi Jo...was away this weekend attending a religious conference. I am going to stop taking the Neurontin because it is doing absolutely nothing but making me look like a swollen tic...I get my injection on Friday for my stenosis and hope it works.

You need to continue taking your pain med as long as you need it. They don't understand the pain, but glad your "crater" is getting better.
    Kthielen...I am getting revision surgery because of the same issue you have, and I had radiation back in 2004. The breast looks fine, but I want more symmetry. After this, that it is for me.

Just feeling a bit sorry for myself...tired of looking fat and eating my depression away. These breasts are feeling so "tight" after all this time.

Warrior Woman...I can't remember if I answered this already but, I think the shift is because of having had radiation to that breast years ago, and the shift just started to happen I think at the beginning of the year. Copit is an "artist", but he agrees with me that they are not symmetrical and he will replace the implant with a smaller one and do a little "lift" on the radiated side. I am so done after that. I am tired.

• Warrior_Woman

Shorfi - Thanks. If you posted it before it may not have registered for me. I worry when I'm lifting stuff but so far I think it is OK.

• 2Tabbies

Shorfi, sorry to hear you're depressed. Food is often my anti-depressant of choice also especially when I'm working and can't do something fun to try to get out of it. I was also wondering if the tight feeling would ever go away. Does anyone know? I hate to gripe, yet again, but it sure would be nice to have a day with nothing pulling or pinching. Small problems compared to what some have, I know, but persistent day after day.

• Kthielen

sam2u....thank you!!! You have more patience than me

• Warrior_Woman

Shorfi - Did you do PT with Dynamic Rehabilitation?

Shorfi & Tabbies - I still have tightness but I rarely notice it. Things I got from PT made a big difference. Stretch a lot every day. Massage the scars and rub around your incisions to break up scar tissue. There was a time when the tightness was nothing short of annoying. Increasingly it is becoming a nonissue.

• shockd
    shockd Member Posts: 12

Hello Ladies - I am here after losing my reconstructed breast to an infection on the 13th of this month... bummer. I guess since the skin left is too thin, the next alternative is a LD flap... I am concerned because of my active lifestyle about the potential weakness that might result... can anyone tell me about their experience? I am having it done this Monday (August 3rd...) so looking forward to hearing from you!!

• tangles
    tangles Member Posts: 211

For any of you who have followed my journey the last 18 months post LD flap I may have FINALLY found an answer to why I have not been able to move my arm up at all since surgery. I have been diagnosed with Winged Scapula. the Dr. said my long thoracic nerve was probably damaged in the surgery. Only one surgeon in the country that fixes this and is in Houston. Very upsetting I wonder if I could start a law suit on the Plastic surgeon who did this???? Who knows you sign you life away before surgery:-(

• shorfi

WW...I did do PT with that group (Richard), and he is tough...but in a loving way.

Jo...I hope you are getting better, I think about you often.

• Xinghong
    Xinghong Member Posts: 84

Tonia52, my implants are CPG 333, Tall height, high profile. I had reconstruction surgery almost 2 years after I finished radiation. I don't really have special diet, but try to eat healthy and work out regularly. I love Zumba, yoga class which I think helped me recover faster. I wish you all the best.

Warrior Woman, nice to "see" you again too. Did you also use cold caps? :) I wish you fast recover from the surgery.

• Xinghong
    Xinghong Member Posts: 84

Shockd, sorry to hear that you lost reconstructed breast. I had lat flap surgery in April 2014 and exchange surgery in Jan 2015. Yes, during that time period, I didn't work out a lot because the chest was very tight and painful right after each expansion. 2 months after exchange surgery, I started going back to gym and I am able to do almost everything, Zumba, yoga, even strength training on the machine. I don't feel much difference from before on my arm and back.

• 2Tabbies

shockd, I'm sorry you had complications. The LD flap was my only option for recon, and like you, I was concerned about loss of strength. I enjoy activities like swimming and canoeing and didn't want to lose those things. I can honestly say I don't notice any difference in strength between the lat side and the other side. There's tightness from scars, of course, and some odd sensations sometimes, but no loss of strength. I think most of us have found this to be the case. Good luck with your surgery, and let us know how you do.

Tangles, I'm glad you finally have an answer, and hope that doc in Houston can fix it.

Jo, I'll be thinking about you Monday and praying for a successful surgery. You definitely deserve it after all you've been through. I haven't had a skin graft so can't answer you on that.

Strength and peace to all of you, and I hope you have a relaxing weekend.

• 2Tabbies

Jo, sorry I can't help you. I didn't have any pain like what you're describing with my flap. Most of my pain was in the area where a bra band would sit. That's where they sutured muscles together. If I moved wrong, it was an intense burning pain.

• shorfi

Jo...hoping that everything goes well for you today.

Had my transforminal injection this past Friday for the stenosis and I feel wonderful. If I can get at least two weeks of no pain, I'll be happy.

• Kthielen

My pain never got worse, every day it got a little better....hope this helps!

Kathy

• Jacfin
    Jacfin Member Posts: 63

Jo.....thinking of you today. Good luck with the graft. Please take as much pain relief as you can tolerate. Even if it is only to keep Tylenol up to it every four hours. I am hoping that post surgery that your arm/muscle pain will be resolved.

Sending gentle Aussie hugs.......you deserve a break now.

Jac

• 2Tabbies

Jo, I'm hoping and praying all is going well today.

• jbokland
    jbokland Member Posts: 275

I'mcurious to know if anyone has had trouble getting their pain meds filled at the pharmacy? I live in Florida and it's particularly tough here. I had to go to 3 different CVS, with my arm in a sling to get it filled! Really sad.