Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Latissimus Dorsi Breast Reconstruction

Comments

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

I know what you are talking about.  Without the humor I could have gone stark raving mad by now.

Just counting the days until my surgery - 2 weeks from tomorrow.  Excited but scared at the same time.  Everyone here has been so wonderful.   I am grateful to those of you who have stayed on here even though you are finished with this part of your journey.  I would love the opportunity to share my experience with others as well. 

• westieluv
    westieluv Member Posts: 245

Just checking in and hoping you are all doing well.  Best of luck Jo1955 on your upcoming surgery.  

Glad to see so many of you are on the other side and recovering so well.  This quest for breast mounds is not easy and all of you have been through something that most people will never understand.

Is anybody on this board going to the 4th annual ta tas sisterhood gathering in Las Vegas?  I'm going and encourage anyone that isn't in recovery to give it consideration.  A great time with inspiring women.  Meeting those that helped you during a dark period in your life is a blessing.  I am excited to go.  This will be my first year to attend. 

• Linda54
    Linda54 Member Posts: 509

I am going to Vegas this year...went in 2010 and I tell you it was a great feeling to meet the women who have supported you and encouraged you through this terrible cancer and all the surgeries.  I don't really care for Vegas but like one of my sisters said "it is not about Vegas, it is about our sisterhood"....and she is right!!!!.....everyone is welcome.  Cannot wait to meet you Beth....

• westieluv

Linda, looking forward to it!   

• jen78
    jen78 Member Posts: 74

Have any of you experienced a torn stitch inside? I keep getting this sharp, pulling pain at my sternum and the PS thinks I pulled a stitch where she attached the lat muscle. She didn't seem concerned but it's painful. I was set to have the front drains removed today as the output has been low. But, today they have both more than doubled. One because of the stitch causing some bleeding. The other is due to the slight infection I've had subsiding. I'm guessing I need to take it easier...got a little over zealous.

• jo1955

Some of Texas gals did a get together last August in San Antonio.  It was go great,  One of the gals in our group had come all the way from Australia - some of you may know her - ChrissyB.  She was doing a 6 week tour of the states and wanted to see Texas so I talked her into San Antonio.  I am 4 hours south of there but did not hesitate to do the drive and stay the weekend.  Some many memories.  I do have some pictures posted on facebook if anyone would like to see them.

I'm sure Vegas will be a blast but can't do it this year. 

• westieluv

Jo ~ there is another Australia gal from the boards, Justagirl.  I have tried to get her to come to the US for a visit, but so far it hasn't worked out.  She's a lat flap sister as well.  We get them from all over the world.

• jo1955

Beth - I findi it amazing just how far this website reaches.  Chrissy is Stage IV and living life to the fullest.  She is such an inspiration.

• Faythnme
    Faythnme Member Posts: 92

Jen78 - keep an eye on the drainage.  Is it light in color?  if it's really dark the surgon should probably see you.  When I had my first attemp at reconstruction with the TE's first put in I heard a pop {stitch popped}.  The drainage was dark and quite a bit.  They told me it was ok but later turned out that the TE was coming through the muscle and then through my skin.  Needless to say I had them taken out and took an 8 month recovery for healing.  I don't know your whole story but do keep a close eye on it.

Cindy {post bilateral FLAP}

• jen78

Thanks, Cindy. That drain filled up yesterday - it's usually 20 cc's and I ended up with nearly 60! It was red, which the PS said was because there was new bleeding where thr stitch was. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it. I'm so sorry you went through that!

• jo1955

Hello Ladies - Counting the days for my upcoming surgery - 12 days from now.  I am so ready for this to be over - I so hate the waiting game.  Any pre surgery words of wisdom would be wonderful.

• alex56
    alex56 Member Posts: 20

Happy Easter everyone!  My lat surgery was at the beginning of March and I've had 2 fills since.  Boy, the scars are impressive but yesterday I saw my PT and he applied some silicone scar gel to them. I've heard good things about this stuff so I look forward to not looking like I fell into a wood chipper!  The left side of my body is stiff, but no pain to speak of.  It might only take 2 more fills to get to the right size and then exchange surgery as early as the end of May!  I can't believe it!

Jo - I know how hard the wait is.  I tried to keep busy by getting the heavy laundry done, stocking up on groceries, cooking and freezing meals, and getting house cleaning done, stuff like that.  Then when you get home you'll be able to relax and heal.  I've been very pleased and relieved that the recovery period has gone so well.  Just keep breathing!

• jo1955

Alex - My DH can cook - he doesn't cuz he doesn't have to.  My aunt comes to deep south Texas in the winter time and goes back to Ohio in the summer.  She is going to stay around until I don't need her anymore.  She will help with the laundry, grocery shopping and helping me with the drains.  I have a housekeeper so that part is taken care of.  I won't have implants and am just getting the left side fixed.  Hopefully recovery won't be too bad.  I would like to get back to work as soon as possible.  I have a great boss and can take all the time I need.  

• curveball
    curveball Member Posts: 1,583
    Jan 2, 2012 05:35 pm
    minxie wrote:I've had really bad back issues as well, 2.5 years out from my BMX with lat flaps. I work all day with a computer mouse and that's contributed to the problem. Basically, the lat muscle no longer supports the scapula the way it should, all the other muscles are weakened, the traps try and compensate, and I end up with constant severe upper back neck and shoulder pain.I've tried PT and pain management and nothing has helped. I'm trying another pain clinic this month to see if they can get me on something less addictive than the Fentanyl which the other clinic prescribed. I wish I had been presented with other options at the time of reconstruction because this pain has impacted my life and is destroying my ability to work.

Hi minxie, I am recently diagnosed and new to breastcancer.org forums. I have just read this whole thread as part of investigating my surgery options. Have you ever asked your doctor/PT about using a trackball instead of a mouse? That way you could use just your thumb to steer the cursor around the screen, instead of having to use your whole arm and shoulder. Maybe it would help with your shoulder pain.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271

Minxie,

Hi, not sure if you had a bilateral LD, but you could try switching your mouse to the other side.  I have right shoulder chest, and arm pain from BC surgery issues so I did switch my mouse to left side.  It was awkward for a few days and then got used to it -- and I am even left handed but always moused right handed so I could write at same time.  (multi-tasking mania goes on here)

I also just got a track ball instead, and an ergonomic evaluation for my work cubicle. 

I hate it when doctors and others say, no problem going back to work soon since you have a desk job!  So not true - I think the desk job causes more pain! 

I asked my PT to provide me with realistic exercises that I could easily do while sitting at my desk to be more compliant.  Realistically, we sit at the desk 8-9 hours a day - most of our life.

I do hope things improve with your pain soon!

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519

• joan888
    joan888 Member Posts: 711

Hi ladies. Put me down for lat flap surgery this Wednesday, April 11h. I Have had problems develop on my radiated side with recurrent cellulitis infections. This last one has been a real bugger and I have been on twice daily vancomycin IV infusions for 3 weeks. Not too crazy about going through this surgery (who would be) but I know it is necessary. Weatieluv and I share the same PS and has already been a source of support. Thanks so much. I am really dreading the recovery process...4 drains, grrrrr. Like jo1955, I am a golfer, tennis player, cycler, etc. so am concerned about how the LD will affect my activities.

DH and I are spending some time this weekend to get ready for my "down time". Laundry, cooking, getting together with friends, etc. This upcoming surgery has me more freaked out than the BMX two years ago. I think I know too much this time around, maybe. Just trying to stay calm and want it over with ASAP.

Happy Easter to all those who celebrate.

• jo1955

joan888 - Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  My LD surgery is the week after yours on the 18th.  I go this Wed to sign all the consent forms and do all the other stuff.  I am not a serious golfer - more like a weekend duffer - LOL!  I can shoot in the low 90s.  Am determined to play again.  It is one activity that my DH and I enjoy doing together.  Sometimes when we do know so much it can freak us out but I have the feeling you are going to do great.  Please post when you can after surgery.  I am also looking for info and tips for a speedy recovery.

• nurseronda10
    nurseronda10 Member Posts: 109

Thought I would update especially for the ones that are having their LD flaps soon. I am 4 weeks and 4 days postop and this past week has been amazing.  I went shopping for 8 hours Friday.  I am now sleeping normally (2 pillows), well, not completely normal, still on my back...prefer my sides but that is painful.  Worked out in the yard some today, but did not overdo it.  Still afraid to lift even though PS said I could lift up to 10 pounds now.  Still using Aquaphor healing ointment on my incisions.  First he had me use vaseline gauze, then bacitracin, then Aquaphor. I forgot to ask PS how long he wanted me to do this, but it can't hurt.  I think it keeps the skin supple so the incisions will not be as visible.  

Happy Easter to everyone! 

• jo1955

nurseronda - Thanks for the update.  I have my surgery on the 18th which is just around the corner.  I am hoping to be back to doing things fairly quickly.  Thank goodness I am right handed and having the surgery on the left.  At least I will have my good hand to use for awhile.

• jen78

Nurseronda - thanks for the update. I'll be at 2 weeks out tomorrow, and while I'm up and around, it's still sore and I'm exhausted. Knowing that in just another week or so I'll feel a lot better is a nice thing. My PS doesn't have me putting anything on my incisions. I'm going to ask about that. Happy Easter, Ladies.

• westieluv

Have any of you veteran ladies found a swim suit that covers up the back scars?  I've searched for wide criss cross back styles and styles that come up high on the back, but I haven't found anything that will cover my scars.

Last summer, I ordered an SPF50 rash guard from Athleta and I wore that in my pool most of the summer to keep the sun off the scars.  They are thin and flat now, but oh so long. 

• jo1955

Beth - Try Lands End.  I know they have a few tankini tops that are high in the front and high in the back.  You can buy the tops separate from the bottoms.  I have purchased several from them and I have been happy with them.

My pre op surgery appt is this Wed.  I have to sign all the consent forms and get my pre admit paperwork.  Now I am starting to get anxious.  Will let everyone know what happens.  

• westieluv

Jo - I've tried all kinds of tankinis, but they all stop short of covering about 3 inches of my scar line. I have very long scars. This is one of the bummers on this surgery.

• jo1955

Beth - Just a thought......  Guess if I can't see my back, it doesn't bother me.

• nurseronda10
    nurseronda10 Member Posts: 109

Westieluv - I noticed when looking up LD flap on the internet there are so many different ways the PS make incisions.  Mine starts under my arm (he cut a thick cord that I have had since mastectomy) and slants at a 45 degree angle towards center of back.  The incision that is actually on my back is 7 inches long and 2 inches long in the axilla, one long incision.  Some of the incisions I saw on youtube, were down lower than mine.  I tried on my swimsuit tankini top from 2010 ( that I wore prior to BC) and it covers entire back incision and comes up high enough in the armpit area that it barely shows the incision there, so I am a happy camper.  Now, a 2 piece would be a different story, but I wouldn't be caught dead in a 2 piece at my age with all the abdominal flubber I have.  Lol.  It is a Shape Benefits by Chadwicks.  

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448

Good luck joan & jo on your upcoming surgeries.

Count me as another that doesn't stress over the back scars. I have a far worse one that runs all the way across my chest from my BMX. If I wear a v-neck, you'll see it. I bothered me at first, but now I have decided that I won't spend the rest of my life covering them up.  

• westieluv

DLL66 ~ I think you are right, I need to accept the things I can not change and just forget about it.

It's always been a personal vanity issue of mine, but at some point, you have to say "Yeah, it may not be pretty, but I'M A SURVIVOR!" 

• Linda54

Beth, I prefer a 2 piece swimsuit.  I just bought a new one. My original LD scars have faded nicely and those do not really bother me. What bothers me are the extended scars where my PS took the excess skin to make areolas.  I think because of where the incisions were made and the use of my arms stretched them...they are still red. It will be 3 yrs in August.  No need in doing scar revision because it will be the same. I have to use my arms!!!.....Those are not hidden by swimsuit tops.  My sports bras are good at covering them...wish I could find a swimsuit top that is designed like my sports bras.  I have been thinking lately about going in for a consult with a tattoo artist.  I think someone could use those upper scars and make butterflies out of them then connect them to the middle of my back with the BC ribbon.  I know I cannot see my back and I am also 58 yrs old but I hate those scars....

• Linda54

someone sent me a private message asking if I still have the website of a live LD flap operation...thought I would share it with all of you

www.or-live.com/jeffersonhospital/1858/event/rnh.cfm

Note:..this is a live operation