Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How high is high for the CA27/29?

Options

Comments

• superfoob
    superfoob Member Posts: 121
    Options

Yeah Marybe!!!!!!

Have a fabulous weekend!

• dianaleo
    dianaleo Member Posts: 18
    Options

I'm betting the next test you"ll break 3000.  Those are dramatic numbers, you must be doing something right. 

• sincitydealer
    sincitydealer Member Posts: 51
    Options

The markers are still going in the right direction, Marybe.Laughing  That's wonderful news!

Peggy

• KittyKitty
    KittyKitty Member Posts: 15
    Options

"CA 27 29 is an epitope on the protein core of the MUC1 mucin glycoprotein."

I got that from the internet.

From what I know the Ca 27 29 is a blood test, so it stands to reason that the test measures this protein in the blood. Nowhere does it say if CA 27 29 protein is only in living or dead cancer cells, but I have read that it can shed from cancer, and I have also read that it can shed from cancer which has been successfully attacked by chemo.

So, it seems to me that there is a good liklihood that the elevated  CA 27-29 that you are seeing after you have started chemo is the result of the chemo blasting away the cancer,

Perhaps this is the reason that some doctors do not have much confidence in it, if it can be associated with dying cancer cells, and may not really be an indicator of progression in the case of successful treatments.

• Anne45
    Anne45 Member Posts: 52
    Options

Good news and the trend is they are still falling so its good news.

• nancyh
    nancyh Member Posts: 185
    Options

Love to hear those numbers are falling, Marybe.  I agree with Rose, down is down, and down is good!!

•    Ihave a lot of questions for my onco when I see him Wed.   I had asked them for a copy of my last liver function test, which is still normal, but the test is a complete metabolic panel and it seems that my eGFR which can indicate something is going on with the kidneys, has been high so I went in yesterday to get some previous tests to compare.   Not only do I find that this number has been high for some time now, I also found that they were doing the CA 27.29 just about every time and I did not know it.   Had I, of course I would have been bugging them about it.  I did not know that on 2/15 it was 3,102 , so that means when it was 3,289 on the 22nd of Feb. it had actually gone up.  The last count was 2/29 and I was disappointed with that one,3117.7  if you recall since I thought it had only gone down about 170 from the previous time when in fact it was up from 3,102. So I am finding out there are many things they don't tell you UNLESS you are asking about them......when I did go in and get these reports and asked about the note on how this one number can indicate possible kidney failure if it is like that for 3 or more months (have no idea how long mine has been elevated), they actually said Oh, we don't worry about that.

Aren't my kidneys just as important as my liver when we look at the big picture? As I always say, we need to keep on our toes with this disease and be our own advocates. Anyway, I still feel fine and will continue to think I am until the scans tell me different, but for sure I am going to be asking questions at my appt on Wed.

edited: I just went back and read what I posted previously and the dates don't match the numbers and dates on the printed sheet....the # they gave me for the test on the 22nd was the number that was on the test run on the 22nd....how can that be?! .....more questions than ever now.   Now I at least understand why the nurse said I was in a holding pattern the last time she gave me results....it had been going up and down and I didn't even know it.  

• sincitydealer
    Options

Marybe, are you getting Zometa?  I posted a question about my Mom's GFR numbers going down, and several people told me it might be the Zometa causing this.   I guess Zometa is really hard on the kidneys.  I don't know whether it could cause your GFR number to go up as well as down, but that's a question you might want to ask if you're on Zometa.

Peggy

• I used to be on Zometa, Peggy, but now get Xgeva which I suppose could do the same thing....it just sort of threw me when they said Oh, we don't care about those numbers.  It reminded me of when my mother had this terrible chronic cough and I asked her if she had complained about it (she was undergoing treatments for lymphoma) and she said Oh, all they care about is the cancer.   She ended up having walking pneumonia which eventually took over so I guess they should have cared a bit more about it.  

• sincitydealer
    Options

Somebody said that Xgeva can cause kidney problems, too.  I wouldn't have known that my Mom's GFR was low if I hadn't gotten copies of her blood work.  That's where I saw that her creatinine was high and GFR low in the last three tests.  Nothing was mentioned at the Onc's office about it.  They do seem to overlook everything but the cancer.  I know they're focused on the BC, but other things that can cause big problems from the treatment need attention.  I would ask about the Xgeva.  That could be the problem.

Peggy

•   Markers are now 2,373.....that is the # from last Wed. which was done 3/21.   I am not doing the happy dance however because in spite of this drop in number, the scans I had done on Friday said No significant change and I still have those huge tumors in my liver.   So, I don't know what to think.

• alesta29
    alesta29 Member Posts: 240
    Options

Hopefully the dropping numbers are just ahead of the dying tumours!

Awesome result with the numbers. Did you ever think you would see them go that low again?

Way to go!

Lx

• pq2
    pq2 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Marybe -- I feel like I'm giving advice to our guru -- you always have such great words for all of us! But although the tumor markers have alwys been accurate for you, you know this darn disease slips and slides toward and away from us and it  changes the rules along the way. So could well be those markers aren't your thing anymore? My onc doesn't even discuss them but all oncs are different. I've never heard of treatment being changed on markers alone. 
  • plumblossom
    plumblossom Member Posts: 22
    Options

Marybe, what kind of scan you did on Friday? I used to have a MRI scan on my liver that the tumor is 2.9cm, then I did a PET-CT scan, it said the tumor is 1.8cm. I ask my Onc why they shows different result. My Onc answered me the PET-CT scan shows the active area.  So, I think if your scan is not PET, although the size of the tumor is no change, the active area may become smaller. Hope you are in this case.

Pbsom

•   The PA from the onco's office called me at work this morning....She called me!  I wasn't even going to check before the weekend because I had a feeling it was about time for them to start going up again.   Said she had been in the lab and just saw the incoming results and that my markers are down to 1,507....that is an 800 point drop from 3/21 when they were 2,373.........so maybe next time I have scans we will see a change for the better.  Anyway, I am excited and just wanted to share the good news.  Hope springs eternal!!!   Onco assured me my kidneys are fine and also my liver function tests are all normal.   I get the heart checked out next week.  

• LilSchatzie
    LilSchatzie Member Posts: 34
    Options

So happy for you Marybe! Glad to hear your good news!

• justjudie
    justjudie Member Posts: 196
    Options

WOW!! 1507 is a huge drop!,, YAY!! Good old Red Devil strikes again!! I'm so happy for you, Marybe. That is excellent news!

Judie

• alesta29
    alesta29 Member Posts: 240
    Options
    Well Marybe - you just continue to amaze and confound science. Way to go Cool
  • chele
    chele Member Posts: 132
    Options

Most excellent news Marybe!!  I am so excited for you! *happy dance*

• china
    china Member Posts: 56
    Options

Wow Marybe, You beat all odds! Way to go ! Awesome news for my awesome mentor! Hugs Dawn

• cheryl1946
    cheryl1946 Member Posts: 62
    Options

Great news Marybe!

• sincitydealer
    Options

WOW, Marybe, those are some BIG drops!!!  What wonderful news!!!

Peggy

• plumblossom
    plumblossom Member Posts: 22
    Options
     That's great! We are dancing for you.Smile
  • Unknown
    Options

885.2 is the newest number....did the CA 27.29 again on Wed. along with liver function tests.....liver function is normal and I am just thilled to be under 1,000....it's been a long time since I have been there.  Hope springs eternal!!! 

• blainejennifer
    blainejennifer Member Posts: 441
    Options

Marybe,

I just re-read the whole thread, and was GLUED to the screen. I am thrilled for your recent numbers. You continue to be an inspiration for me, and I can inly hope I handle my treatment with the same grace and humor you've displayed.

Go kick cancer's fanny for us.

Jennifer

• china
    china Member Posts: 56
    Options

Wow Marybe, I have to tell my onc about your fantastic news. You are an inspiration. Glad your tmt is working. Dawn

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409
    Options

Marybe - I've been following your progress for months, and I KNOW that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of us who have been been wishing, hoping and praying that the red devil was the one that would work for you.   Your results are astounding and this whole community cheers for you! 

• chele
    chele Member Posts: 132
    Options

Wow! That is fantastic!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    Options

Marybe that's fabulous news!!!!   I'm so glad that the chemo is kicking cancers' butt for you.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy 

• steelrose
    steelrose Member Posts: 318
    Options

My oh my!!!! You continue to inspire and to amaze, Marybe. And down... and down... and down we go... yippeeeeeee!

Love to you...

Rose.