Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited August 2013

Lovelyface:

Mine will only check the VIT D levels every 6 months, I'm due my next visit for that to be tested (Dec. 20th).  Mine was 5 (!!!!!) when it was checked the first time.  She put me on a huge amount (1 little green pill per week) for 6 weeks and it went up to 61 which is still low as far as I was concerned, but she felt it was ok.  Now I take 2500 units per day but am going to see what the next one comes in at.  Freaking 5!!!!, I didn't even know they could go that low.

• PinkPeeCA
    PinkPeeCA Member Posts: 25
    edited August 2013

10. I Finally get a date night with husband.

9.  Everything I own fits or is too large.

8.  I save money on manicures and pedicures and expensive hair products.

7.  Oh, the fun you can have with a bald head (look for more later).

6.  Quick Wash, Rinse, and Dry body.

5.  Taught Onc what RR meant (Recovery Rate).

4.  Promised self that I would re-fill the bucket list.

3.  Cut to the chase on everyone, everything, finally.

2.  I learned that my problems is minimal compared to so many others.

1.  Discovered!!!! When you are too tired to put on mascara, (and assuming you have eyelashes left) a wand that does it for you~Just lean into it and pulse, it will rotate the wand and make you look glamorous. 
  • JenC
    JenC Member Posts: 186
    edited November 2010

Kelley - Good luck today and my thoughts are with you.

Jen

• JenC
    JenC Member Posts: 186
    edited November 2010
    Pinkpee AC - Funny - I own that mascara and love it Smile
  • tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited November 2010

LovelyFace,

You can change oncologists as many times as you want.  I did in Jacksonville when my onc didn't come to the hospital when I was admitted with Chemo toxicity.  I had had one chemo treatment.  The next onc was good and I had another chemo, but then I had to move to be nearer to family to care for me (didn't work/don't ask), so now I have onc #3.  Transition was smooth each time.  Be ready with dates and outcome of any test results and of course have your records sent asap so they have time to review.  Insurance didn't blink, and the organization paying my copays had no issue either.  If you're in a trial, the new dr. has to be participating, but that's the only issue that I know of.  You need someone compassionate that you understand and trust.  Go for it.  There will be a bit of after-care, so might as well do it now.  You can tell them exactly what your treatment is and that you want it continued.  Plus, you'll be getting a second opinion.  Good luck.

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited August 2013

Ladies- that black ointment Titan and Sugar refer to is most likely Ichthammol Ointment, a "drawing" salve. If you were a horse person you (probably) would have known that. Oh wait, maybe you just have to be old, like me. It's been around for ages.

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011

When our anxiety gets the better of us:

• Kelley41
    Kelley41 Member Posts: 41
    edited November 2010

I am very happy to report that my lump under my armpit is B9.  They called today and I can now breath a little easier.  Thanks to everyone for your kind words....it really did help me calm down when my mind was going crazy....thank you, thank you, thank you! 

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited November 2010

Kelley - good news.  Thanks for letting us know!

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited November 2010
    Kelley:  WooHoo!!!  Wonderful news!  So happy for you!  Did they say what it was?
  • Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited November 2010

Kelly:  What a relief!  Emjoy your weekend!!

• mitymuffin
    mitymuffin Member Posts: 242
    edited November 2010

Wonderful news Kelley!

• navymom
    navymom Member Posts: 842
    edited November 2010

Great News Kelley!  Celebrate!

• retrievermom
    retrievermom Member Posts: 321
    edited February 2011

Yeah Kelley!

• TifJ
    TifJ Member Posts: 804
    edited November 2010

Kelley41 - So happy for you! What a huge relief!

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited November 2010

Great News Kelley!!

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited November 2010

Kelley...YAY..what was it after all???

• lrm216
    edited November 2010

Kelley:

Hooray!  So happy about the news.

Linda 

• PinkPeeCA
    PinkPeeCA Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2010

> Lovely Face, I start the Taxol after Thanksgiving, have been very concerned about stopping AC which is working, your note helps me relax and move on.  Thank you.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited November 2010

Kelly:  Yay for B9!!!!  Congratulations! 

Happy Friday!!!

• Swanny
    Swanny Member Posts: 118
    edited November 2010

Kelly - Congrats!

Question:  My last chemo was Sept 30th (Taxotere).  I just noticed today that I have lost most of my eyebrows.  I lost my eye lashes and hair during chemo but I always kept my eyebrows (albeit they are thin to start with).  Anyone lose their eyebrows AFTER chemo was over?

• lrm216
    edited November 2010

Swanny - It's normal.  A lot of gals lost them after chemo ended, some gals got theirs back (eyelashes and brows) only to lose them again at 6 months out.  Doesn't seem to be a real pattern that fits us all.  They will come back and stay - eventually.  I lost mine  - all of it - during chemo - and my eyelashes and brows started to come back - s l o w l y - about 6 weeks after chemo ended, but really slow.  I didn't lose them again, though my brows are a bit thinner than prior to chemo. I also think my hair is thinner too since it came back.  It was never "thick" hair, and no one can tell it's thinner, but I can. 

Another rad down the hatch!

Linda

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited November 2010

Kelly - great news, glad to hear the good news.

Titan/Sugar/Heidi - I haven't heard about black salve or drawing salve in years.  My friend's MawMaw used to use it on us when we got splinters and I thought it was so weird, but it worked.  I didn't realize it was something that was used on horses.  I figured it was something that was all but obsolete by now.

Swanny - I lost my eyebrows and the last of my lashes after chemo.  The good news is they were the first to grow back.

Pinkpee - love the list and the mascara made me laugh.....

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited November 2010

If anyone wants that salve I can send my mom in law to Amish Country to get some..actually I need some more!  It really stinks but it does work!

Pink..how many AC's have you had?  4?  I had 4 and I think that is the plan...I did ask the chemo nurse if I had reached my lifetime max at 4 doses and she said no..but that there is a lifetime limit...good luck with the Taxol..I totally freaked out about the Taxol b-4 I started taking it..not sure why..guess I was used to the Ac...knew what to expect.

Taxol is clear not red like AC...they will watch you closely for the first 15 minutes to make sure you are not allergic.  I had to take a couple of pills in the middle of the night b-4 each infusion. They will also monitor your blood pressure...if you don't have a port it hurts like heck to have the bp taken every 15 minutes...because it pulls on the IV..after awhile I got smart and just unhooked the BP cuff...the nurses finally chilled out when I told them I was fine..some nurses were more anal than others...

• Lovelyface
    Lovelyface Member Posts: 563
    edited November 2010

Kelly, that is just wonderful news, I am so happy to hear that!  What did they say it was?  I am feeling a couple of somethings at the very top of my right breast right now.  But I am on chemo, so am wondering if one can still get lumps during chemo.  Anyway, I doubt it is anything like the one I had which was cancer, so I will have to get that checked next week.  Was it a cyst?

• laurajane
    laurajane Member Posts: 305
    edited November 2010

Hi Everyone! It was great catching up on all of the posts. Scares, fears, laughter and congratulatory dances all in one dose. I hope everyone is having a great week-end.

I went up to Indy and got two more opinions from 2 different oncs. My onc. has not seen me or returned any of my calls in the last two weeks. Last I heard she wanted me to do radiation(Standard protocol after surgery) Doesn't make sense to me with 14 out of 20 positive lymphs. I got a call from hospital last Tuesday saying I was scheduled for chemo. WHAT? no one had mentioned this to me. Still no return phonecall from my onc. I went to a second onc. up at the National Cancer Research Center in Greenwood she said rads standard blah blah blah! Went to the third up in Indy at the Simon Cancer Research Center IUPUI (Part of the Cathy Miller team). Wonderful! She spent over an hour in a half with me and never even looked at her watch. Not once! I love her. She started with the whole rad thing and then I looked her directly in the eye and asked her what she would do if she were me and she said skip rads and jump on chemo to try and prevent mets. Hallelujah! She is also thrilled that I am going to Sloan Kettering on Tuesday. The onc I will be seeing at SK is the one that started DD chemo therapy through the original clinical trials and specializes in TNBC. She said that would be the first place she would recommend if it were an option for me. She has tentatively scheduled me to start chemo (Maybe carboplatin/Gemstar) the day after I get back dependent on what SK says and or suggest. SK also have me scheduled to see one of their integrative docs after my appt. with their onc. I am so happy about that because I am sick and tired of docs here saying don't take anything, no herbs supplements vitamins etc. I finally feel like I am in capable, compassionate caring hands. Well worth an hour in a half drive back and forth. Plus she wants to see me every 2 weeks while I am on treatment.  I also am glad I am taking more control of my medical choices. I know all of this is dependent on what SK says they may even have a clinical trial. I'll find out this Tuesday.

I am having Thanksgiving dinner here tomorrow because I have decided to go ahead and spend a whole week in New York and have as much fun as possible while I am feeling so great. I hope all of you have a wonderful week.  

Laura 

• Swanny
    Swanny Member Posts: 118
    edited November 2010

Laura,  Please have a lot of fun in NY.

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011

Why men shouldn't be allowed to take phone messages:

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited November 2010

too funny, Heidi, thanks!

• laurajane
    laurajane Member Posts: 305
    edited November 2010

Swanny- Thanks, that is my plan.

hiedi- thanks for the humor.

Life is good until we make it and decide it is great!!!!