Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011

Yesterday, a group of us got together for a ride in a local state forest. It was the first time I'd ridden "my big guy" since I was diagnosed (though I *have* been driving my father/son pair). Here's a full-blown of us headed back in (I'm on the pinto). The trees were lovely, the weather divine. Two +  hours in the saddle... yikes! Took 4 Ibuprofen, 1 Flexirol (for my chronic stiff neck) the mandatory Rumrunner (with a side of Applebee riblets) afterwards. All followed by a 30 minute whirlpool bath and BED (6 pm, I might add Embarassed). Slept until 8 a.m. this morning! D*mn, it felt *great*!

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011

Here's the pair at the summit of Day Mountain in Acadia National Park:

• HeidiToo
    edited August 2013

And here, dear BC.org friends, was the *view* from that mountain:

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited November 2010

Heidi - Acadia National Park is such a nice place.  Brings up so many good memories. My screen saver is a family photo taken at the peak of Cadillac Mountain. Now I'm getting hungry for a lobster roll and blueberry pie.  Look what you've started!!

Have a nice day ladies. I just got in the door from a business trip to Montreal.  It was a great few days but I see I have a lot of pages to catch up on. 

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited November 2010

Heidi:  The pictures are wonderful, thanks for sharing.  The one of you on the Pinto looks like a postcard!  Love the two horses together - they are certainly handsome horsies - and you look pretty damn good yourself, girl.  Whatever you're doing - keep on doing it!

Linda

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011
    Sugar- don't you mean Jordon Pond pop-over served with their home-made ice cream and blueberry sauce? Damn... now I'm salivating too! Tongue out
  • HeidiToo
    edited August 2013

Linda- Rumrunners and chocolate is my secret...

• TifJ
    TifJ Member Posts: 804
    edited November 2010

I am thinking I need to visit Canada sometime in the near future!! I have never been, but your pictures are stunning!! This next year though, we have already promised the kids Disney World!! 2 tx down- 2 to go. Each time I feel like I just can't do it again, then have to remind myself it's only a few days that I really feel awful. Although, I am having a very hard time with my hair loss. I buzzed it last week and was shocked at how much gray was hiding under all my hair!!  I still have some, but it's getting thinner every day. I feel so ugly. I don't even want to go out because i feel everyone is staring at my wig. My husband and the kids say they like my wig, but are they just being supportive? OK-whining is done-thanks for listening!

Tiffany

• HeidiToo
    edited August 2013

Tiffany,

Get yourself some jazzy scarves, big earrings and a good lipstick. It's amazing how much better you will feel...

I had 2 wigs but definitely preferred the scarves. The wigs were so "glamorous" compared to my real hair that they felt phony. The scarves though.... THAT was a different story. I looked *good* in scarves.

PS- Acadia is in Maine... so not as far as you think! Wink

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited November 2010

Tiffany, as Heidi said, Acadian National park is in on Mount Desert Island, Maine. It's an awesome place to visit. The town of Bar Harbor has a lot of nice shops and restaurants....and blueberry pie. I'd love to go there in the fall to see the leaves change colour. 

• TifJ
    edited November 2010

Oops-had no idea Acadian is in Maine! I live in the Kansas City area-so it might as well be Canada!!

Heiditoo-I am having a hard time getting with the scarves. I guess I feel that when people see a woman wearing a scarf, it is automatic pity. I can't handle that. What has your experience been?

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited November 2010

Tiffany:  I am staying in Eastview, Kentucky.  My inlaws bought a few acres here and they raise goats, chickens, alpacas, ducks, roosters and used to have a cow and a pig but they are in the freezer now.  I have never spent any time in the country and I am just loving it.  I learned how to shoot a rifle (barely, but at least I hit the target board even if I didn't his the target), baked a chocolate pecan pie, blackberry pie, apple pie and a pumpkin pie today.  They love my cooking so mostly I have been doing that, but I am going to have to work off this extra weight, though I will need it for my final fat grafting LOL!

HeidiToo:  Your horses are just gorgeous!  I cannot believe people get to actually live like this every day.  I grew up in Los Angeles, and although I have traveled lots, I have never lived anywhere but California.  Time for me to move!

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011

TifJ- it depends upon the scarves!! I had classy, designer type scarves, NOT those cheap-ass "cancer caps" that scream YES, I HAVE CANCER!

My point is, I'd rather have a few beautiful scarves and wear them well than a gazillion of the cheapo stuff. I was told that I had never looked so beautiful and I felt the same! How's THAT for confidence?

I don't mean to come across as boastful. What I am really try to get across to you is that it is very, very possible to look stylish and healthy  during cancer treatment. OK, I'll post an example as soon as I relocate it.

• TifJ
    edited November 2010

Thanks Heidi. Any suggestions as to where to get the good scarves?

MBJ- We are right now watching two deer roam the fields beside and behind our house. Unfortunately, one of our neighbors keeps going out on his deck and taking shots at the deer. So illegal!!! The pies sound wonderful! I am sticking to pumpkin this year as it will just be the husband, kids and I. The kids will only eat pumpkin!

• MBJ
    edited August 2013

Tiffj:  I love them all (the pies that is!).  Right behind my inlaws people go out and shoot turkeys and we saw some deer while here, too! It is just so beautiful here!  You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place.

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011

Before:

After:

During:

And those weren't even the ones I got the compliments on. You can do it!

• TifJ
    edited November 2010

Heidi- you look fabulous! Maybe I will try one. The wig is kind of uncomfortable and I look ridiculous in my little sleep hats all the time

MBJ-Great, the neighbors just killed a deer! We are in the city limits and while there are only 6 houses in the nieghborhood-I don't like the idea of anyone shooting near my house! Considering calling the police!

• MBJ
    edited November 2010

Heidi:  You totally rock a scarf!  My head is too small and I looked better with my wig, but I spent a small ransom for my wig-it should have looked great!

TifJ:  Wow!  I am terrified of guns, so this would definetly scare me, especially with young children around!  It's just irresponsible.

• HeidiToo
    edited August 2013

Here's a link to the site I got the "After" scarf from. Lots of good stuff there; it's actually a link from the http://www.TNBCfoundation.org "Support" button (shop tnbc choice):

http://www.franceluxe.com/c/AllHeadwraps/Headwraps+-+All.html

As for my "special" scarves I got several designer scarves (Ralph Lauren, Oscar de la Renta, etc.) at Marshall's a discount store similar to TJ Max. You don't have to spend big $$$ (OK, at tnbc maybe you do Embarassed) you just have to be a savvy shopper. I also had a lot of beautiful silk my husband had bought in the Persian Gulf (Dubai, UAE) a few years ago that I had fashioned into turbans that looked really chic. I had that material for *years* and never used it (hubby wanted me to make some silk blouses, but who needs them when I was mostly mucking stalls anyway?) Sadly ironic what the material was finally used for but, d*mn*... they looked fantastic!

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011

Tif- R U kidding me? Shooting a deer in a neighborhood? That *has* to be breaking the law; call the police. Is it even shotgun season where you are? We're still in archery season here.

• MBJ
    edited November 2010

I have a gorgeous silk scarf donated to me through TNBC and if anyone wants it (and I can still find it) PM me and I will pass it on.  It was never used and it's a rust color.  I would love it if someone else could get some use from it.

• TifJ
    edited November 2010

I spent a small fortune on my wig too. $300. Thankfully my insurance is covering it. I will check out the website, Heidi. We have both Marshalls and T.J. Maxx in the area. I will have to get over there!

Thanks for the help ladies!

• mitymuffin
    mitymuffin Member Posts: 242
    edited August 2013

Heidi, beautiful picture! What fun!

Is your neck stiff from chemo? Mine is, which seems so strange (but, then again, this whole thing is strange.)

• mitymuffin
    mitymuffin Member Posts: 242
    edited November 2010

Tifj, I wore lots of cotton scarves by Anokhi, and loved them. They are soft and stay on the head, and they come in pretty, cool prints. I wore them with hoop earrings, or dangling silver earrings and felt hip and pretty. http://www.anokhiusa.com/squares/index.html   I came to prefer the scarves to my wig.

• TifJ
    edited November 2010

Heidi- we did call the police. They were over there for about 20 min. don't know what happened. I hope they at least got a stiff fine! Shotgun deer season is over!

Thanks mitymuffin!

Tiffany

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011

Different subject:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/magazine/14FOB-wwln-t.html

This was from the "I am so  Angry- am I over-reacting?" thread.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on BC Awareness.

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011
    mitymuffin- No, it's from an old whiplash injury.
  • retrievermom
    retrievermom Member Posts: 321
    edited February 2011

Tif:  I found my wig cute, but uncomfortable to wear for long.  I liked my scarves and really didn't feel I got pity wearing them.  I liked the tichels I got from an Orthodox Jewish online site.  I watched a you-tube video on tying them and got many compliments.  I hardly ever wore head coverings at home (the weather was warm).  I did indulge in earrings.  Each tx round I went shopping while hyped on the steroids.

Heidi:  Love the photos of you and the horses.  

We're having a couple & their daughter over for T'giving.  I like making the meal; the housecleaning, not so much.  There's a major snowstorm predicted tonight.

• slcst12
    slcst12 Member Posts: 73
    edited November 2010

Hi Everyone.
    I'm new here. I'm 37 and just stopped breastfeeding my younger son. Found a lump (~1 cm) and it's IDC. Found out that it's triple negative today. Submitted some bloods for BRCA testing. Surgery (lumpectomy / SNB) scheduled for Dec 20th.

I'm lurking and trying to learn everything I can, but thought I'd best introduce myself since likely I'll have a ton of questions for you knowledgable ladies.

Thanks!

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011

slcst12- what a crappy way to bring in the holidays Frown

You'll get lots of support here though. Welcome!