Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• MTwoman
    MTwoman Member Posts: 228
    edited December 2016

Dear LovesGreenThings,

Just for your consideration if you decide on MX.

I initially had a lumpectomy, but based on my second opinion pathology report, got a follow up MRI which discovered more multifocal TN DCIS in other quadrants that had not been discovered or removed. So I then had a MX. My recovery was not that much more difficult than my lumpectomy (although it was not bilateral). I was 38 at the time and took one day off work (followed by the weekend) and was then ready to get back to my office. I wore comfier clothes than usual and was prepared to take additional time if I needed to, but really found going back to work a welcome distraction. I only took daytime pain meds for 2-3 days and thereafter only at night.

It sounds like you are in great shape and may have an easier recovery than you fear. I found that very gentle post-operative stretching was an amazing recovery tool for me.

Good luck with your treatment and just know that whatever decisions you make for yourself are surely the right ones!

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited December 2016

hi Ladies

Just chiming in for support. Have my one year mammogram and ultrasound. Was not nervous until now. Appointment is today Bringing back scary memories

• lovesgreenthings
    lovesgreenthings Member Posts: 99
    edited December 2016

Sending good karma your way!!

• gmmiph
    gmmiph Member Posts: 662
    edited December 2016

Valstim, praying for you and sending positive thoughts.

• gmmiph
    edited December 2016

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 773
    edited December 2016

Best of luck, Valstim52!

Lyn

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited December 2016

((Val))

Lovesgreenthings, I have a pre-existing autoimmune disorder, so my immune system runs at about 1/3 of what it should be. I didn't have any infection issues with either of my surgeries.

My PS said he could do a latisimus flap or fat grafting to fill out the affected side. From what I read, there is a higher rate of failure with implants than with self donated tissue. That turned me off right away.

• Cathytoo
    Cathytoo Member Posts: 394
    edited December 2016

Val...my mammo is Wednesday. Hope we both get good news‼️

• Valstim52
    edited December 2016

Thanks everyone. The radiologist read it right away, did and ultrasound and gave me the all clear. Whew. Hugs to you Cathytoo.

Love you guys, you have no idea how i have relied on you for my sanity this past year. Thank you so much.

• vlh
    edited December 2016

Wishing clear results for you as well, Cathytoo!

Lyn

• gmmiph
    edited December 2016

Congrats Valstim! Great news for you this Christmas!

Now my prayers and good thoughts shift for Cathytoo.

• vlh
    edited December 2016

Yay, Valstim52!!!

Lyn

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    edited December 2016

Wonderful news Val!!!

• gmmiph
    edited December 2016

Happy Dance for Valstim52!

• lovesgreenthings
    lovesgreenthings Member Posts: 99
    edited December 2016

Val,

The failure rate of implants, pain and infection issue overall definitely has me concerned. I speak to a PS on Friday so will focus the discussion on the other reconstructive methods and possibility of doing them later. Or, after lumpectomy, the path report might indicate mastectomy anyway so at least I will be prepared for what I must do.

So grateful for all of the writers on these boards and those who have given feedback to me, it is very helpful and building my confidence in making the right decision.

Anne

• Batesburg
    Batesburg Member Posts: 114
    edited December 2016

Congrats to all with good news.....

Prayers for all those who are "sitting in uncertainty" on level of care and prognosis.....especially for Annie.

Gotta count our blessings each day, heck, maybe each moment. :)

• Valstim52
    edited December 2016

Yes thinking of Annie and sending hugs. To all that are either in treatment or waiting on tests, may my good thoughts and hugs reach you.

Val

• amw5
    amw5 Member Posts: 74
    edited December 2016

That is such wonderful news Val. I'm so very happy for you. (((hugs)))

• simplelife4real
    simplelife4real Member Posts: 341
    edited December 2016

Hi All,

I haven't posted in a while, but I come on from time to time to read through the thread. Things are going good for me, I'm 3 and a third years out now.

Cocker, I was so sorry to read about your SCLC diagnosis. I hope they have been able to help you with your mouth sores so you can get the bombs down. It sounds like you like your new MO. That's a big help. Congratulations on your soon-to-be GREAT grandmother status. That's something to look forward to. I hope you can get a picture of the four generations together.

Ally, I'm absolutely thrilled with your baby news. So exciting!! Best news ever.

Wishing everyone going through treatment or tests smooth sailing.

Happy Holidays!

• gmmiph
    edited December 2016

Hello all,

I've just had my 3rd and final FEC infusion yesterday, feeling a little woozy, so many old and new post chemo meds to take.

I miss Miss Annie. I hope all her mouthsores and other problems are gone so she can take her meds. Praying for her.

Miss Annie, I invited someone to do the Indian Healing Dance for you... Hope you like him!

And here is his backup partner...

• Batesburg
    edited December 2016

Hello! So happy you are done with your final chemo~what are they saying about Donald Trump in your country?? Such a major situation here in USA.

• Cathytoo
    Cathytoo Member Posts: 394
    edited December 2016

MOST OF ALL, I WISH GOOD HEALTH TO ALL MY TN "SISTERS".❤️❤️

• Batesburg
    edited December 2016

I LOVE this, Cathy!!

• gmmiph
    edited December 2016

Hi Batesburg,

Thank you. Actually, the FEC is only the first half of my chemo regimen. My next three infusions will be Docetaxel on a 21-day interval.

As for Pres. Trump, I think he has the whole world on his shoulders now. He is certainly a potential great leader but he should have more patience on his many detractors. He should act quickly on many basic issues like health insurance, education and foreign relationships.

Here in our country, we also have a newly elected leader who seems to have quite a weird way of handling things. He is very popular among the masses but also quickly gaining influential enemies here and abroad. I am anxiously looking forward as to what will happen to the long-time friendship between America and the Philippines under these two unique leaders. I wish for the better!

I hope you're doing ok with your health Batesburg. What's your chemo regimen? Your sig line says your dx was 2015 and by now, you should be done with your treatment, if you had it.

Ok, see you around friend.

Merry Christmas in advance.

Gina

• gmmiph
    edited December 2016

Dear Cancer,

Where the hell is your Christmas Spirit?

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited December 2016

Cathytoo, - I love your message! Thank you and I 'ditto' it!

WIshing all here a happy, merry and HEALTHY EVERY day!!

• sylviaexmouthuk
    sylviaexmouthuk Member Posts: 7,940
    edited December 2016

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to pop in to wish you all Christmas Greetings and also to wish you all a healthy, happy, New Year.

You are a great bunch of ladies (and men) on this thread.

Fond thoughts.

Sylvia xxxx

• amw5
    amw5 Member Posts: 74
    edited December 2016

Hi ladies.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season.

(((hugs)))

• breastcancerhusband
    breastcancerhusband Member Posts: 69
    edited December 2016

Hi all

Just wanted to quickly share some research from a journal article that has been passed my way. I've currently got the little one asleep on me and am on the mobile, so will keep this short and will post properly after Christmas once I've digested the article (and lots of turkey!). Its appears that there is a significant survival benefit to TNBC patients taking aspirin or anti-platelets drugs post therapy. The numbers were quite small, but the effect was very clear. Long term aspirin use does have associated problems, but is obviously a widely used drug and indeed we tell many patients with heart disease to take aspirin on a regular basis.

Anyway, I will have a good read through and post something more detailed info in a few days.

Lots of love to you all and a very merry Christmas.

Tom

• Shopgal2
    Shopgal2 Member Posts: 594
    edited December 2016

happy holidays to all. Hope the new year is good to us all.

Tom I'm very interested in the article you mentioned and am looking forward to you sharing more. I have the repeat of my 6mo mamo next month (my July scan showed some fibrosis) and see my mo right after and would like to ask about this.