Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• JAN69
    JAN69 Member Posts: 731
    edited December 2016

Wishing everyone a beautiful new year, all year long. May we all have fewer doctor appointments and more fun. But take it easy tonight.

Annie, I hope you are feeling well and can enjoy family time. Sending you my best wishes. Jan

• Batesburg
    Batesburg Member Posts: 114
    edited December 2016

Yes, Happy New Year to all!!

• allydp
    allydp Member Posts: 361
    edited December 2016

Happy New Year to you all! Wishing you love, strength, peace and health in 2017.

Meadow - so glad to hear all went well! Hoping for a great result and quick recovery!

Jan - 6 years is absolutely wonderful!

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 773
    edited December 2016

Jennifer, perhaps this calculator based on the records of thousands of women in Great Britain, will help you feel less anxious about your prognosis, which is very good. Symptomatic means you or your doctor felt a lump vs. finding the cancer through routine screening.

http://www.predict.nhs.uk/predict_v2.0.html

Although I agree that a positive attitude is important, I worry that implies that women who are unfortunate enough to have a poor outcome will feel that it's their fault and they somehow "failed." That simply isn't true and no one should be made to feel guilty about cancer developing or progressing because they weren't positive enough. I know that's not what you meant, Janet, but women DO sometimes feel that way and I find that heartbreaking.

Lyn

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited January 2017

Welcome, Jennifer. Sorry you had to join us here, but we are here to hold your hand. You are early stage. That is a GOOD thing, very good. Most TNs are grade 3, so that is normal. Most TNs are also basal type, so that is normal too. "It's believed that most triple-negative breast cancers are of the basal-like cell type." http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/diagnosis/tri... Like Batesburg said, take your treatment one day at a time, we are all here if you have any questions or need some reassurance. I finished my treatments in October, but haven't gotten to the point where there isn't a day that I don't think about cancer, YET. But I will. And so will you.

Happy New Year to us all!

• georgie61
    georgie61 Member Posts: 48
    edited January 2017

Jennifer,

This is my 2nd attempt to post, damn computer wiped everything out the first time...grrr...Anyway, so sorry to hear about you joining our group, especially at your age with 2 sweet sons at home. Congratulations for finding it so early , especially at your age where routine mammograms are not the norm. I didn't even notice my golfball sized tumor, that had already spread to my lymph nodes, stage IIB, until it was picked up with my routine mammo. ( then of course I was amazed that I hadn't felt it!) You have every reason to be optimistic, although you will not remember 2017 as one of your more fun years, I'm sure. The chemo shrunk my tumor so fast, it was pea sized (feeling) after first chemo and unpalpable after 2nd. I got aggressive with treatment, because of its stage - but you might not have to do double mastectomy, etc.. This site has a been a great support to me. I started almost 2 years ago, and all of my docs think I'm good, just watch me every 6 months or so now. Supposedly a Pathological Complete Response - PCR None of us come with a expiration date stamped on our forehead, so don't pay too much attention to stats and studies. Our cases are all so different. Once again, congrats! - what ever you did to recognize it so early is amazing. Stay strong!

• lookingforward66
    lookingforward66 Member Posts: 148
    edited January 2017

Praying all had a great New Years Eve!

Annie, special prayers for you. In my prayers always. Meadow, so happy for you.

December 2016 was my 4 year cancerversary. Had my PET scan earlier in December. NEDS. Such a comforting feeling. Saw my oncologist and surgeon in December also, they both say I'm doing great. I go to counseling every two weeks. It truly helps put my fears & concerns in perspective.

The last month has been hectic. My daughter, son-in-law and grandson are moving with my husband and me for about eight months. They were renting, and the landlord sold their house. So now they have to look for another house. They want to buy, but in Naples area. No one in this area wants a lease for less than a year. So we're cramming all in here. Have been turning our house upside down to accommodate two more adults, one child, two dogs and a cat. Whew. A storage space is necessary to put in some of my things, so they can move in some of their's. The rest of theirs they have to store also. Have decided living over 30 years in one house you collect too much stuff! On top of all of that, I know this is strange for some to think about, but my air conditioning went out. It's been warm and humid here in Miami. So We have to get it replaced also. As I stated hectic.

I'm still doing my yoga, but arthritis is getting worse. Both doctors have told me to keep up the yoga.

I apologize, I don't come on as often as I used to, my counselor says I need to stop being overly concerned about cancer. When I do come on I get caught up. I try and read from the last time I was on. It is hard to remember without taking notes, about everybody. But wish all of us a very healthy happy 2017.

Much love to all,

Marsha

My grandson & daughter at park a few months ago.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited January 2017

Happy New Year everyone. May we all be happy, peaceful and as well as we can be! DiV and Jennifer, so sorry you are having to join us but happy to know you. You will find lovely support here. Marsha good luck with all the extras, it sounds lovely, but I'm sure there will also be challenges.... Meadow, Huzzah for you!

I agree with Georgie and Linda about the fears. We are all individuals, not statistics. After my PCR my onc told me that he put my chances of recurrence in the next 5 years at 10%, but to me I FEEL like it's 50/50 at best. We are individuals, not statistics, and we are not rational. Just do what we can to improve our chances: don't smoke, reduce alcohol, keep weight low and stable, exercise regularly at a good intensity, and we roll the dice because chance also plays a big big part. So let's be lucky, too. And for those of us who do recur, let's just enjoy each day, each moment, each breath

Much love to you all my sisters. XX

• vlh
    edited January 2017

Congrats on the NED news, Marsha!

Lyn

• Debwarrior
    Debwarrior Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2017

DiV, so very sorry to hear that you have to have your arm amputated. Sending you hugs and support for the best possible recovery.

Jen--I was diagnosed with TN stage 2B when I was 35, in 1998, newly married and pregnant with my now 18 year old daughter. My cancer was very aggressive. I did have a second small primary cancer eighteen years later at age 53, and reluctantly had a double mastectomy at that age. But I am doing great and going strong. This cancer thing is a real beast, but the doctors seem to know how to treat it for most of us, and most of us go on to live productive, happy lives. I have had a harder time accepting my post mastectomy reconstructed body than I have had dealing with fears of recurrence. Over time, the fear dissipates. Especially if you have to deal with it twice! One step at a time. You have a strong sisterhood here and a lot of caring health care professionals out there to get you through it.

Wishing you and everyone a happy, healthy year and many years ahead.

• DiV
    DiV Member Posts: 148
    edited January 2017

Debwarrior thank you so much! The part that worries me the most is losing my arm. At my age (52) it's going to be a drastic change in my life. I am so happy to hear that you are doing well. Wish all of us a happy healthy new year!

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    edited January 2017

Div, I am so glad you are here with us, I sure hate the reason, but hugging you right now!

Looking, what a beautiful picture. You will be busy and happy having those faces around!

Thank you all for the hugs and well wishes while I am recovering from reconstruction revision surgery. I'm doing good. Today was my birthday, and we went to a little pub for dinner, it is kind of like "Cheers". My grown kids and 2 of my BFF 's and their hubs joined, it was fun. Now I have the holidays and birthday under my belt (literally), and ready for a New Year. Thinking of you all, especially those in treatment, and dear Annie who I know is struggling. God bless us all this year. 2017...wow.

• gmmiph
    gmmiph Member Posts: 662
    edited January 2017

Happy Birthday Meadow!!!

• slv58
    slv58 Member Posts: 486
    edited January 2017

Meadow, a very HAPPY Birthday! Sounds like you had a fun celebration!

Annie, your in my thoughts and heart

• DiV
    DiV Member Posts: 148
    edited January 2017

Meadow Happy Birthday!

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited January 2017

HaPpY BiRtHdAy Meadow!

Thinking of you, Annie. Hope you check in soon.

• gmmiph
    edited January 2017

Where is Madame Annie???

(((((Annie)))))

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited January 2017

Hello, ladies,

Been lurking since right after I was diagnosed in late August, and finally decided to introduce myself here in the TN thread.

I was diagnosed two days after my 58th birthday with triple negative IDC in my right breast, 2cm tumor, grade 3 no known node involvement, stage IIA or IIb, and aldo with ER+/PR+, HER2- IDC in my left breast, 2 cm, grade2, also thought to be IIA or IIb. After an MRI in early September, I was also dx'ed with a mixed ILC/IDC, ER+/PR+,HER2- 1cm, grade 2 tumor directly under the nipple. Not sure about node involvement. Borderline grade 3.

Talk about a "shovel to the face" kind of news. It's been four months and I'm not sure I've taken it all in yet. Not one, not two, but three distinct kinds of cancer. Wow.

Did four rounds of bi-weekly A/C , and just had my fifth weekly Taxol earlier today. I've been lucky with my side effects, bothersome, but not debilitating. Hope it stays that way.

I'll have a BMX in late March, hopefully with immediate DIEP reconstruction. But you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men....

So I figure the only thing I can really do is to stay positive even when this horrible disease throws another curve at me. One of the ways I've been able to do that is to come here and read all the kind, thoughtful, encouraging posts from so many of you. I finally decided to stop lurking and thank all of you for helping us newbies as we try to navigate this godawful disease.

Having a supportive family is great, and caring friends make a huge difference, but nothing compares to having other breast cancer survivors to lean on.

So, thank you all for your kindness, caring and support. It is,, quite literally, a lifesaver for so many of us.

Trish

• vlh
    edited January 2017

Three different types of cancer? YIKES, Trish. That's a lot to handle. I'm glad that chemo has gone smoothly and wish you an uneventful surgery and recovery.

Lyn

• Luvmydobies
    Luvmydobies Member Posts: 476
    edited January 2017

Happy Belated Birthday Meadow!! Sorry I missed it.

Cocker, still holding you tight and praying!

Welcome to the newbies. You'll find lots of comfort here. Trish, wow that's a lot on you're plate! Just take one day at a time and know we are all here for you, praying!

Ladies, I need to vent a little and forgive me if I seem whiney because what I'm dealing with doesn't have anything to do with cancer, I hope anyway! So, Saturday night I started having some lower right abdominal/pelvic pain and it has continued. Saw my PCP yesterday and she sent an order for an ultrasound. She also did blood work to check CBC and Comprehensive Metabolic Panel. She didn't think it was my appendix or diverticulitis, but thinks it's may be something with my ovary, like a cyst. I didn't even think about diverticulitis until she said the word. Ugh! It hurts mostly when I walk, pee or poop! Urine test was clean also. My periods are still hit and miss ever since finishing chemo. I'll have some bleeding then stop several months and have more, etc. So it's hard to tell. I haven't had any period type stuff since August.Some of you know how I worry! I'm a bit concerned since she did a metabolic panel because it checks liver enzymes. So I'm like what if it's referred pain from my liver?! Ugh. Anyway have any of you had anything like this? Thanks!

• jcpriest0469n
    jcpriest0469n Member Posts: 63
    edited January 2017

luvmydobies yes I had a lot of right side pain last summer and my cbc came back ok plus the ultrasound show in large liver but not grossly. I am eating better and the pain is gone. Good luck it's great when our doc's are on top of it.

• Luvmydobies
    edited January 2017

Thanks jc for the info! I sure hope it's not my liver!The pain is pretty low so hopefully it's something simple like an ovarian cyst, endometriosis, etc.

• lovesgreenthings
    lovesgreenthings Member Posts: 99
    edited January 2017

Trish,

Welcome to TN land!! These ladies are great! I too was lurking for a bit before I got my brave on and entered the group. A warm welcome from everyone and questions answered promptly.

I am sorry about your triple blow, that is a lot to deal with and wrap your head around. It feels like your body is betraying you, doesn't it? I am a second time around bc - the first was stage 1a and 3mm, I got off easy. Not so this time. My lumpectomy is 1/16 and am actually at this point looking forward to finding out more on the path report and the nodes involved. Since you had neo-adjunct chemo, your cancer is already at bay systemically, which is a good thing. I thank you for saying the chemo was not so bad, I am very concerned about that part but posts like yours make me hopeful that I will manage it ok.

The other ladies on her have a lot of experience and knowledge behind them so you are in the right spot to get tips and thoughtful feedback. Some should have earned honorary Medical Degrees with their knowledge!

Hang in there, you are over a most difficult part of this treatment. Surgery and radiation were smooth sailing for me aside from being a bit more tired.

Anne

• InspiredbyDolce
    InspiredbyDolce Member Posts: 987
    edited January 2017

Hi Everyone,

It's a big day in our household, as we celebrate my 5-year healthy victory today!  Diagnosed on 12/27, but BMX on 1/4, so I choose this date.

Every year I log in and post my annual update.  For one, it's a reminder to me of many things, things I've have accomplished, things I've had to change, etc... and two, it provides hope and inspiration for others.

However, I think going forward, I really want this day to be about All of Us!  For this isn't only my victory, it's a victory for everyone who supported me, from each and every one of you on these boards, to vital material left on these boards by other members who don't frequent as much, to the new research and treatments that are extending the life of many survivors.  I also want this day to be about celebrating every one of you!  For everyone who is here, and for everyone who has ever become a member of this forum, it's a day to be thankful for all of our friendships, and to extend love and support to everyone.

Much love to all of you ladies.

Have a wonderful New Year everyone!

Debra

• slv58
    slv58 Member Posts: 486
    edited January 2017

Great to hear from you Debra! Thanks for giving everyone hope and encouragement!

• lovesgreenthings
    lovesgreenthings Member Posts: 99
    edited January 2017

Made my day! Happy to hear that you are 5 years out and healthy!! Us newbie TN ladies need to hear these great success stories, thank you for sharing.

Anne

• gmmiph
    edited January 2017

Hurray for Debra!!!

Congratulations!

It's Happy Dance Time again!!!

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited January 2017

Thanks to Lyn, Anne and lovesmydobiesfor the warm greeting. This is a great place for info as well as support.

Thank you for the info on surgery and rads, Anne. I'm actually less afraid of surgery than I was of chemo. I do wonder how I'll fare with a bilateral mastectomy, especially if they can do the immediate DIEP reconstruction. I'm looking at a fairly long recovery time.

As far as chemo goes, Anne, I think my best advice is hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! I have a chemo buddy, who is a couple of years younger than I am. We are on the exact same schedule and dosage, both TN. She has struggled with side effects, especially during the Adriamycin/Cytoxan. She just couldn't manage to drink enough water (she doesn't like plain water), while I was able to get down at least four liters of water during each infusion. It may just be coincidence, but my side effects, especially the nausea, we're mild and manageable, while hers were much less so. Hope that helps!

To Debra: Congrats on hitting that all important five year mark! So important for us triple negatives. If I remember correctly, that means your risk now resets to baseline, meaning you have the same low risk of a new triple negative diagnosis as anyone in the general population. Yay! Something for the rest of us to look forward to.

Hope you're feeling better, lovemydobies

Trish !

• adagio
    adagio Member Posts: 713
    edited January 2017

inspired by dolce - that is fabulous news!! Definitely a reason to celebrate! Thank you for all of your wonderful insight when I was going through my treatments - I always enjoyed your posts a great deal. I am so happy that you are doing well and it is wonderful to hear from you again on this forum. Many congratulations and whatever you are doing - keep doing it, since it seems to be working for you!

• Luvmydobies
    edited January 2017

Congrats Debra!! That's awesome!! I'm so happy for you and your family!!!