Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• Shopgal2
    Shopgal2 Member Posts: 594
    edited January 2017

gt1965 welcome. You definitely came to the right place for support and encouragement. Congrats on completing your surgery and negative nodes and clean margins. That's great. As for chemo you didn't say if you have a mo yet to determine what type of chemo. Don't over stress about chemo. It's tough but doeable. Anne is right that you get into that fighter warrior mode.

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited January 2017

Welcome GT1965! This is a very supportive group, with lots of experience, and we will help you cope! As others here have said, - chemo is not fun, but very do-able, if need be. Don't hesitate to ask questions here, and of course, when speaking with your doctors!

Shopgal, - Your friend is fortunate to have you to talk with. Perhaps you can direct her to these boards, too.

Wishing GT1965, Shopgal's friend, and everyone here, a happy and relaxing weekend.

• Cathytoo
    Cathytoo Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2017

Hi GT1965...welcome to the sisterhood that not one woman wants to join‼️ But, here we are and we welcome you. As you travel the road through treatment, we will be with you...ready to give support and answer any questions you have. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or just want to "talk". ❤️

• Batesburg
    Batesburg Member Posts: 114
    edited January 2017

We are mighty TNs!! I LOVE this thought....thanks for sharing that, Anne!!!

• CandyRyan
    CandyRyan Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2017

Hello, joining your TN group with much hope. I am sixty years old, wanting to learn about my newly adopted State of Ohio as a focus, but looking up informatoin on chemo, surgery, radiation and keeping up strength and attitude instead. Or maybe as well. I've had three session of four A/C chemo. A dozen Taxol sessions to follow after surgery. My mass has shrunk very much after the first two sessions of A/C, so I am hoping this continues.
    I'm hear to learn and share.

Much love and big hugs to all.

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    edited January 2017

Candy, Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a great start, keep up the good work, keep your chin up. You got this!

• aterry
    aterry Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2017

GT1965 and CandyRyan, we are all still learning about TNBC. I understand the point about sugar coating. I've experienced a bit of that from friends and realtives but coming to these boards has helped me process the whole ordeal (that and the support I get at my BC center). I think TN is finally getting the research it deserves and I hope there will be improvements in treatment--I hope this especially for the young women among us.

• aterry
    edited January 2017

I don't know how many of you have had genetic counseling as part of this journey. Today was my appointment for genetic counseling. The counselor was great. She spent a lot of time going over my medical & family history, previous testing for the BRCA1 & 2 mutations, etc., and then explaining different genetic panels that could be done. We settled on a panel that screens for 20 different mutations that are related to breast and/or ovarian cancer. (It was either that panel or one that screens for 8 mutations related to breast cancer.) Then they drew blood and I should get the results in 2 to 3 weeks. The counselor cautiously explained what you can and cannot learn from testing and the unsettling situation of receiving information that is not helpful--information that is inconclusive, for instance. She didn't pressure me to do the panel and gave me several opportunities to opt out.

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited January 2017

GT1965 and CandyRyan. Welcome to our family of support sisters and brothers. Sorry you had to join us. Warm hugs to you. As someone now 15 months after dx, it does go along. Chemo is very doable. Not a picnic but doable. You will find tips and support from all of us.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited January 2017

Hi and welcome GT and Candy Ryan. You will do well here I'm sure. Don't worry, just take one day at a time and drink lots of water! DiV you're already doing really well. Luv, please try not to worry. Sure it will be OK. It's been over a year since my diagnosis, and I feel pretty much back to normal again. Yay! Love to all.

• gmmiph
    gmmiph Member Posts: 662
    edited January 2017

Welcome GT and Candyryan!

You will learn a lot and get much support from this TN group.

In times both good and bad, remember there is always somebody up there who knows what's best for us. Put faith above all fears.

When there's good news, always do the Happy Dance! Lol!

You may feel a little bit absurd about it but happiness will soon creep its way to your hearts. Have a nice day!

• gmmiph
    edited January 2017

A little kiss for you Cocker Annie!

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited January 2017

GT, you can always get a second opinion if you don't feel comfortable with what your doctor is telling you. Are you in the greater Seattle area? If so, I can give you the names of my team of doctors.

Had my 3 month rads follow up today. RO says I still have swelling, which is causing me some pains. She showed me how to help move it out of the breast and said she would be happy to send me to a massage therapist for it. Um, no. I don't want to pay someone to massage my breast. 😮

• lovesgreenthings
    lovesgreenthings Member Posts: 99
    edited January 2017

LoveMyVizsla, so happy that you are 3 months post radiation, yea!! Agreed, massaging in the area might not feel too great. I had lot's of zinging pains going off and on for a bit on my right breast, after all of the first time around treatment. It became less and less over time and pretty much at the 3 month mark. However, I am still able to predict, in advance, when the barometer is rising or falling more than 10 points. :) It likes to talk to me on those days still which is somewhat helpful!

I hope everyone has at least one fun thing to do this weekend to take your mind off things for a while. One of my yoga teachers is going to do a one hour Reiki session for me to today at her studio. Some people think it works, some don't, but she is also a massage therapist so I will get some massage on my feet, legs, arms and shoulders. Looking forward to an hour of relaxation after a long week at work.

Anne

• lookingforward66
    lookingforward66 Member Posts: 148
    edited January 2017

Good Day All,

Just wanted to check in & say hi. I lurk & read but don't post often. So glad we have this site.

I am now 4+ years out. I have been doing yoga twice a week for almost 3 years since diagnosis. Was also doing yoga before diagnosis. My yoga is for Seniors with disabilities (even glasses is considered a disability) as turned 70 in October last year. I feel it has greatly helped me recover & relax. I get a massage every two weeks from a lady close by that is retired from massage therapy office. She has training in adhesions & surgery recovery. I am soooo much better & can feel the difference in my body after going to her. Being in Miami, FL area, I also go to year round pool in my area & do water aerobics (though not as often) evenings for 1 hour. I still see my psychologist for mental health. (Those creepy metastasis thoughts). All in all trying my best to take care of me.

Now for the stress. My daughter & her husband & son (two dogs & a cat) have moved in with my hubby & me for about 9+ months. Their landlord sold the house they were renting. They are trying to find a house in Naples FL area but want son to finish school this year here. So we are a little cramped & all finding a new routine that we can all handle. Stress is included, but I still have let all know that I am going to continue to take care of me. We all need to come first in our own lives.

Just wanted to check in & say Hi.

Much love to all, newbies this is a great place to help you navigate your new normal & rediscover life after Surgery/Chemo &/or Rads.

This site has brought me out of depressing thoughts ( thank you all) & shown me there is life after the Big C!

Love the mail drop to Cocker & have mailed a card to her. She is such an inspiration to us all on how to keep going forward.

To all much love & in your pocket to those going through tests or waiting on results or decision making. We can do this. One day at a time.

Much love & healing prayers to Cocker.

Best to us all. Happy weekend.

Marsha

• Cathytoo
    Cathytoo Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2017

LookingForward66....Thanks so much for posting. We have some things in common besides TN breast cancer. I am also in my 70's, live in Florida and have almost the same stats as you. So happy to read that you are 4 years past diagnosis. I keep thinking that it will recur soon. Hard to keep those thoughts away. But, I feel great and sometimes can't even believe I ever had breast cancer. Keep going strong and take good care of yourself.

• lisaj514
    lisaj514 Member Posts: 289
    edited January 2017

sent my card out to cocker today too. The lady at the post office thought it would take 7-10 days. I think of her often and the smiles on my face after reading her posts. Enjoying the yoga talk as well...yoga has helped me a lot as well. Recovering ROM and learning to let go what does not serve me and learning to accept things as they are, to try to live in the present and practice mindfulness. Also a big part has been controlling my breath...I use the breath focus to get through my mri's and mammo's and to sleepand it helps. MRI on Tuesday next week and will have to use meditation and breath focus big time!!!

I'm 3 yrs 3 mo since date of dx. Feeling well and trying to manage the same anxiety as everyone here mentions. Wishing peacefulness, serenity, acceptance, strength, purpose and healing prayers for all.

My yoga teacher gives us mantras, messages, thoughts printed on a card each class. This was today's:

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    edited January 2017

good to see you Lisa!

• MomMom
    MomMom Member Posts: 334
    edited January 2017

So great to see you Lisa!! You are just a bit ahead of me since diagnosis. I won't repeat my post of a few weeks ago, but it is similar in tone to yours. I take yoga classes twice a week & have been into it for about 35 years now. I love, love, love it and highly recommend to anyone here who feels under stress of any kind. It's worth it just to learn and practice the breathing techniques. I also used the deep breathing techniques throughout treatment and post treatment whenever I have any kind of a procedure. It sounds wacky to say that I'm actually calm while getting an MRI, but it's the truth. I also am getting back into meditation and just "being in the moment." I'm grateful for each new day and try not to borrow trouble. Makes life a whole lot more enjoyable for sure! Stress definitely negatively affects your health.

Lisa, I remember you always being so positive in your posts. I loved your "hair" posts & see you are rocking the short hair. Me too sister! I get my hair cut every 4 weeks as it grows like crazy & I love it! It's so easy, looks great & takes no time.

I will be mailing my card with a letter to our dear Annie on Monday.

What a great group of supportive ladies. My heart goes out to the newbies. Take it one day at a time. Believe it or not, there are true blessings on the other side of treatment.

Love to all,

Paula

• lisaj514
    lisaj514 Member Posts: 289
    edited January 2017

Thank you meadow and mommom. It's good to be back here. My yoga teacher is a bc survivor of 1 year and she continued to teach during her radiation. She helped and inspired me before and still does. I started yoga before diagnosis but afterwards I really started to get it and appreciate the goal and message and have learned to understand and listen to my body.

Mommom- my hair is still a process,lol...it was very curly before bc, came in curly still, for about a year, then gradually started to straighten out as the chemo curls (which I thought were my normal curls) grew out. Now I have straight hair! never had straight hair in my life! Im leaving it gray (colored it before and didn't know how gray I was). I kind of like the white/silver color, most days. I'm hoping for a Helen mirren look eventually as I try to grow it out a little.

imageimage

Wishing everyone a restful Sunday and healing strength for those in treatment. We are here to support and carry those through tough times and celebrate those good times. I thank everyone on this TN forum and my dec 2013 chemo buddies for carrying me through. Annie, you have been a tremendous support for all of us and have touched our souls, now this group of amazing people will help to carry you throug

• gmmiph
    edited January 2017

The Miss Universe pageant is on!

Top 13 includes Colombia, France, Canada, USA, Brazil, Peru, Thailand, Indonesia, Kenya, Haiti, Panama, Mexico, and Philippines!

It's so exciting! France , Colombia and Thailand are my bets but Kenya and USA are intelligent candidates

• gmmiph
    edited January 2017

Miss France is the 2017 Miss Universe! She's one of my favorites

• PeggySull
    PeggySull Member Posts: 368
    edited January 2017

Lisa, I love the Helen Mirren look for you

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited January 2017

I love that look too Lisa

• Luvmydobies
    Luvmydobies Member Posts: 476
    edited January 2017

Lisa, you look gorgeous with your hair like that!!!

I saw my PCP today about a thing I felt under my armpit last Monday. She did a very thorough exam and didn't feel any nodes, lumps or any other abnormalities. Thank God!! Thanks to y'all also for praying for me! I thought that I couldn't feel it the other day but I'm glad my doctor confirmed. Please keep the prayers coming for my upcoming checkup with my Oncologist on Monday!! My stomach and IBS are still a wreck but I'm hoping it will all calm down after Monday. I am grateful for the good news today though!

• aterry
    edited January 2017

Luvmydobies, I hope your appointment brought good news today.

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited February 2017

LMD, I'm right there with you. I swear I can feel a lymph node, among other pains. See the MO on the 16th.

Hope everyone is doing well. Hugs for those who aren't

• Seraphima
    Seraphima Member Posts: 52
    edited February 2017

Hello again, all.

I've been off the boards since I got to the end of my treatments. No offense, but I guess I just didn't want to be thinking about it anymore. I just missed Annie/Cocker's news, and I want to say I am so sorry to have heard it (I can't catch up and have not seen updates) - but I am praying for you!!!

I'm back because of my own issues. I posted on the surgery area. I'm just trying to figure out what to do - followup mammo, on the "good" breast, they did a stereotactic biopsy - nothing found but I guess they think it looks so bad, they want a full surgical biopsy, and to keep scheduling surgical biopsies every few months until/unless they find something. I'm not really willing to live a life of surgery. I'm debating just getting a full mastectomy on that side, but I can't decide how to decide ... And thinking how/if that will be with a reconstruction, and all various life issues that go with the decision in any case.

So my head is swimming, but I'm back looking for input.

But I am so sad to read of Cocker's cancer.

• Shopgal2
    Shopgal2 Member Posts: 594
    edited February 2017

luvmydobies hoping that your mo also feels no nodes on Monday.

Lisa I remember reading your hair posts and feeling so inspired that my hair would come back. Yours is just gorgeous. Love the Helen mirren look. And I too rock the crop do. Short hair makes me feel strong.

mommom id love to do yoga. 35 years is very impressive.

Luvmyvizsla sorry that you are still having swelling. I think mine lasted for about 6mo. Give yourself time to heal.

As for me I am doing ok. I will be 1 year post rads at the end of this month. Still debating whether to have a breast reduction. I still have to call the plastic surgeon to schedule a consult. I guess I'm dragging my heels cause it's just nice to be out of treatment and done for a while. At my mo checkup last month my discharge note said no evidence of disease (NED). I've been waiting to hear Ned for so long I guess I want to take a short break from doctors and possible further surgery for a bit. Plus this week my costocondroitis flared up. Arg! Too much weight lifting at the gym. Maybe after it eases up I'll call the plastic surgeon. I really do need my good boob fixed to match my other boob. I am growing tired of being lopsided which happened from a combination of treatment and my big weight loss

• sfgirl
    sfgirl Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2017

Hi all,

I have a friend (40 years of friendship since high school) who was diagnosed TNBC stage III at 55, about 9 mos ago. At first, neoadjuvant treatment plan was laid out pretty clearly for her: 12 rounds of Taxol, then maybe 4 rounds of AC or carboplatin, then surgery (she wanted full mastectomy on both breasts) and then 6 weeks of radiation. But after 12 rounds of Taxol they extended it to 18... and now they're doing some other chemo (nothing from the common list, and I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the drug), and no surgery in sight for now. She says doctors don't say much except that they need more time to get medicine working. She thinks it's bad news that they're just not telling her. Another thing: they don't do any imaging. Tumor is checked manually every 3 weeks.

What can it all mean? Anyone had experience with such extended use of chemo before surgery?

with all best wishes and prayers for everybody out there fighting TNBC!

--sfgirl