Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited January 2017

Kathy so sorry about your mom. Meadow, sending gentle hugs and hoping that infection leaves you soon. DIV I'm speechless about your breast surgeon. The scary part is he is so respected. Makes you wonder how many others he has just let die. Scary thoughts on that.

Grammasue you are at the most difficult part. hugs to you.

Cathytoo, my MO will not talk recurrence statistics. She told me it's because when she was teaching oncology at a major university she was so into statistics until she had so many get discouraged and not look for all possible for their patients because they were hung up on statistics. She told me with TN it tends to recur sooner rather than later, but you cannot live your life waiting for it to recur. She then said what does 'tend to' mean in real life?

I can admit my first time with BC 25 years ago, I had a few rough years when every cough, ache, pain I would run to the Dr. Time helped.

My prayers and thoughts are with Annie and her family

Hello to all

Val

• amw5
    amw5 Member Posts: 74
    edited January 2017

GrammaSue - (((hugs))) Welcome to the board. The ladies here are awesome. Immediately after I was diagnosed, I met with my nurse navigator. She was a great help. I couldn't imagine getting diagnosed and not having her there. I'm doing chemotherapy first. Then I will have surgery.

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    edited January 2017

Welcome, GrammaSue, I am glad you are here with us!

I know we are all concerned and somber, regarding our Annie. The news we hear of her health is distressing, to say the least. Mandy her daughter will update us with news we long to hear, or dread to the heart of us. As we wait for news, what would Annie do? She would want a distraction of some kind....and to share laughter. She is funny! So, in her honor, and to give ourselves a perk me up here in grey January, I am asking for you to share a bright spot....something cute, or funny that you saw, or that one of the grandkids said or did. This does not disrespect our Annie, let's do it to honor her and how hard she tries to make us feel good about ourselves, about life. Share something simple...I will start....my 6 year old granddaughter has lost her two front teeth....she says, "give me some S words to say", we go thru saying "salad" and "sunny ", and of course, "Sally sold sea shells down by the sea shore". Priceless.

Now your turn! And you lurkers chime in too...you know who you are! [Wink]

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited January 2017

Hi Meadow, yes I'm a lurker.winking back at you. This is in honor of Annie who when I first joined this board welcomed me so warmly .

Have a funny story from my 6 year old grandson. He was over yesterday and was really distressed. I asked him what was wrong? He said he was sad he couldn't find any flowers I like at the store. He wanted to bring me a bouquet. My DH of 38 years brings me bouquets of all types at least bi-monthly. So I told him I like all flowers. He said, but he couldn't find any like those I already have. He then pointed to at least 2 vases with 'dead' flowers in them. He said there were none in the stores. I have a tendency to keep my flowers well past the freshness date. lol . So when he comes over he always sees my old flowers.

We all secretly howled with laughter. I'll leave this to my dd3 to explain it all. In the meantime I've cleared out my vases. His face was hilarious when he pointed to the dead ones.

• meadow
    edited January 2017

Oh Val! So cute!

• Cathytoo
    Cathytoo Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2017

Hi Meadow...the other day I was expecting my family to come for Sunday dinner. My cousin arrived an hour early with his six year old grandson in tow. I had just come out of the shower and opened the door in my robe. "I have to finish getting ready", I said. And, I have to put on some makeup." The little one replied..."You can say that again. Do it quick before you scare the others!!!

• meadow
    edited January 2017

Oh no! He did not! Lol

• marias
    marias Member Posts: 265
    edited January 2017

Hello, here in Colombia, where I live, the doctor dont talk about stadistics, they say to me, let see how the quimio do with u cancer.

Marias

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited January 2017

My MO talks to me about stats, and how each of the treatments can "buy" extra percentage points of reduced recurrence. The next one she is going to test me for is zometa. I don't expect to be a candidate for it, because I have good bone density.

My 3 year old niece was at our house for the last week. We were talking one day and she said "okay, Sweet Cakes!" LOL! Here we are on the slide at the playground.

• ALHusband
    ALHusband Member Posts: 342
    edited January 2017

My wife's Dr didn't like stats. He said, "30% chance of this. 15% chance of that. You know what? If it comes back...then YOU had a 100% chance of recurrence. If it doesn't, YOU had a zero percent chance." He wasn't a "smart ass". That was just how he really felt about statistics! He said they often added unnecessary anxiety.

• Luvmydobies
    Luvmydobies Member Posts: 476
    edited January 2017

Welcome to the newbies! You've found a great place but we are sorry for the reason you're here.

Meadow hope you're feeling better! I don't really have a funny story about kids lately but once when my mom was baby sitting a little girl who was in the middle of potty training, her mother told her that morning that she was going to get her britches if she peed in them that day. Well I went into the living room and she had removed all her clothes and peed in the floor standing up! She was so proud of herself for not peeing her pants! My mom had to laugh! So did her mother!

Sorry ladies, but I'm having a worry again! My right armpit which is also my cancer side has been a bit tender the last few days. This morning I put my hand behind my head before I got up and I feel something, a possible node. It's sore when I hold my arm to my side too. Yikes! My regular six month checkup is February the 6th. I called my doctor and she's out all week so I made an appointment for Friday with the other doctor in her office. I emailed my nurse navigator who said to try warm compresses a few times a day and check back with her Thursday. I don't think it's a boil or hair follicle though. The thing that makes me nervous is she said if it's bigger or red Thursday and the compresses then they shouldsee me sooner. Ugh!!! Talk about panic!

• Cathytoo
    edited January 2017

ALhusband...he sounds just like my MO.

• sunnyspot
    sunnyspot Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2017

Thank you for the update on your Mum, Mandy. We will be hoping and praying all goes well!!! Sending good wishes!

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited January 2017

Luv, - Stop touching! I know that's easier said than done, but the more you touch, the more tender it will be!

Meadow, - like you, I have many cute and funny things that my students told me. Smile One that comes to mind today as we are being hit by a Nor-easter, was when one of my 4 year olds came in on a stormy day, and excitedly told me that it is 'SO windy, - it's like a TOMATO outside!" I zipped my mouth and didnt correct it to 'tornado', because I didnt want to burst his enthusiasm! Winking

BE WELL my sweet friends!

• Cathytoo
    edited January 2017

Mandy...sending ❤️❤️ to your very special mum‼️

• meadow
    edited January 2017

luv and another, such cute stories!

Another, the wind here today is blowing like a "tomato"....love it!

As always, (((Annie)))

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 773
    edited January 2017

I guess I'm the odd person out because, while recognizing that I'll either recur or not, I'm still interested in the statistics relevant to my cancer.

Lyn

• InspiredbyDolce
    InspiredbyDolce Member Posts: 987
    edited January 2017

There was a post recently about what could we do for Annie?  

A card shower is something we can do for Annie!  Many of you might not know what that is, but I remember reading about a few of them when I first was dx'd and on this website.  They did it from time to time for a few girls.  If someone has Annie's address, we all send a card.  If I remember correctly, we all send a card to one main person, and that person collects all the cards, and then sends them together to her.  What I found nice about that, is that it's a sweet personal touch.  And something that Annie can put all around her bed, or cork board, or fridge, or anywhere.  And if she happens to be in the hospital right now, it might help cheer her up with these colorful cards in her room. 

• gmmiph
    gmmiph Member Posts: 662
    edited January 2017

We Miss You, Annie!

• navymom
    navymom Member Posts: 842
    edited January 2017

I do not have Annie's address but would love to send her a card, many cards!

Anybody got it?

I like the idea of sending the cards together, but I think she would enjoy getting them separately....so she could see just how many of us from so many places around the world care about her.

Mandy, if you are reading this, and you are comfortable sharing your mom's address, do not post it here. Send it in a PM to any one of us. Then that person can PM it to others who would like to participate in a card shower.

• allydp
    allydp Member Posts: 361
    edited January 2017

I have Annie's address, but I'd like to reach out to her family before I share it publicly. I think showering her with cards is a beautiful idea, Inspired! She would love it!

Meadow - you are an amazing woman. While battling your own infection, you're here keeping our spirits up, which is truly an inspiration. Sending all my love to you.

I'll keep everyone posted :)

• slv58
    slv58 Member Posts: 486
    edited January 2017

I love the the card idea!! Alicia can you let us know?

Meadow, how are you feeling?

• Gramof2boys
    Gramof2boys Member Posts: 60
    edited January 2017

Hi everyone, I haven't posted on here in probably 2 years more. I'm posting to let everyone know it's been 3 1/2 years since my diagnosis and I'm doing great!! I hope everyone is doing well. I am keeping myself busy, still working full time and enjoying my family and grandsons!!! I live for today now! I still have fear of recurrence but it is slowly getting better! To the newbies: hang in there, it gets better every day!!

• allydp
    allydp Member Posts: 361
    edited January 2017

Hi ladies, I hope Mandy doesn't mind me giving this update. She said she was planning on giving an update soon, but Annie is home! They're not quite sure what the status of the MRSA is, as they had trouble getting blood from her, but she's stopped the antibiotics and will resume chemo Thursday. They're taking everything one day at a time, but she's home in her own bed with her Old Feller, fur babies and family! I'm sure Mandy will be by to give more details soon.

She also gave me permission to share her address publicly, but I'm still hesitant to put it out here on such a public forum. If you'd like to send a card, PM me. I'm heading to bed around midnight EST, but will continue to answer PM's in the morning. I will also PM Inspired, Meadow, Shari and Navy Mom so they'll have it as well if you'd like to contact them.

Inspired - such a wonderful gesture. She will adore them! xo

• Cocker_Spaniel
    Cocker_Spaniel Member Posts: 1,188
    edited January 2017

Update: Mum's home from hospital, with frequent trips back for blood and pick line issues. She's off the antibiotic now and starts chemo again tomorrow. Not sure it's a good thing that she's off the antibiotic but chemo is the priority. They have had trouble getting blood so unsure where the MRSA is currently at. She's very tired and not eating much, but she's thinking of you all x

• gmmiph
    edited January 2017

Mandy, Thanks again for the update!

We are very much concerned with how she's doing. We will continue to pray and send positive healing thoughts for you Mum Annie.

Regards to the family,

Gina

• gmmiph
    edited January 2017

Annie,

We are praying for you.

• amw5
    amw5 Member Posts: 74
    edited January 2017

Dear Mandy.

Thx so much for updating us. We truly appreciate it. (((hugs)))

Marie

• InspiredbyDolce
    InspiredbyDolce Member Posts: 987
    edited January 2017

Best news we have had about Annie in quite some time.  Woohoo, so glad she is back home in her own environment!  Great job Annie, you are such a strong woman!

Ladies, we are doing a card shower for her.  If you want her address, please contact Ally or see her post right above this post.  Ally, thank you so much for getting her address for all of us, and for the wonderful update on her!

• meadow
    edited January 2017

thanks so much, Mandy, and please give her a big hug from me!

If you need the address for dear Annie, Alicia shared it with me too, just send a private message and I will pass it on.

This is a great day! To all in treatment, and healing, stay strong!