Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited January 2017

Annie and family, my very best wishes for your speedy recovery from MRSA. If I had any white blood cells to spare, I would send them your way! 😉❤️ Seriously though, know that we all miss you and are pulling for you.

• georgie61
    georgie61 Member Posts: 48
    edited January 2017

Mandy, please accept my love to your family and give Annie a big hug as well. xoxo You are all in my prayers.

• kathyrnn
    kathyrnn Member Posts: 366
    edited January 2017

Hi ladies, old timer here to check on our dear Annie.

Mandy, thank you for the update on your Mom !(my heart was sick when I read through so many posts with no word). Please tell Mom I'm right in her pocket and I'm sending her all my white blood cells. Annie and all your family are in my prayers

Allydp - your baby news really made me smile today. Congrats!

Amhbeks - sending you some delayed happy thoughts.

Meadow - glad to hear surgery went easy on you

DIV - You're in my prayers, you're one strong woman.

Jeniorsim - when I relapsed, I insisted that my doctor drop the sugar coating. She gave me 2.5 to 3 years. Well it was 3 years this June and I'm still disease free at this point. Nobody but God knows how long we will live....have faith. Every day you live is a day closer to a cure.

Congrats Inspired/Debra and Shopgal2

Nan812, Mykiddies, GT1965, Marias, Mony4ever (and any other new members I've missed). You are in the right place for both information and support. I don't know how I would have survived without this site. Trust the wisdom of these women

Ladies, I have some sad news to share, my Mom died 2 weeks ago, but don't feel sad for either of us. When I was diagnosed, my biggest fear was that I wouldn't out live my then 87 y.o. Mom. (It was just me and Mom, who has already buried her other child. ). The thought of her being left behind in the world tormented me, I prayed every day.

Mom chose to not go back to the hospital and went peacefully in 4 days. Her biggest fear was who "would hold my hand". My cousin ( who is the sister of my heart) her husband, and one of our dear friends came to visit and Mom just went. (I wasn't expecting her to go for at least another day). It was her last gift to me, she knew my hand was being held and chose to go.

I had told Mom to send me a message she was okay. The one thing to know about Mom, is the staff was never allowed to disturb her from 7:30 - 8:00, when she watched Jeopardy. Ever the prankster, Mom died at 7:55 pm, right after the final Jeopardy question, when the theme song is playing. Message received.

Now it's time to do what Mom told me. "You have spent years taking care of me, now go live your life". Though I'm broken hearted, I'm going to try and do that. Also my fear is gone. When this disease comes back like that stalker boyfriend, I'll be okay.

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    edited January 2017

Kathrynn, you and your mom shared a very special love. Reaching out to hold your hand right now

• 6feetover
    6feetover Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2017

{{{Kathy}}}

• Shopgal2
    Shopgal2 Member Posts: 594
    edited January 2017

Kathryn my heart goes out to you as I lost my mom 5 mo ago. She was 82 and saw me thru all my treatments. I miss her every day. But your mom was right that you need to live. My mom told me that too. She said to use my second chance to truely live. And I'm trying to do that and not let my fear hold me back.

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited January 2017

Kathryn:

My deep condolences in the loss of your mom. God bless.

• Cathytoo
    Cathytoo Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2017

Statistics...my MO will never discuss survival statistics with me, only to say he has TN patients who arestill here...some as long as 20 years past diagnosis. Have any of you discussed statistics with your oncologist?

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited January 2017

Mandy, you sound as special as your Mom. I join everyone here wishing your Mom a speedy recovery from the MRSA and then onward to chemo and what ever it takes to stop this disease in its tracks for her. She is so wise and caring and loved by so many. Hugs to you, your Mom, Dad and all of your family.

Kathy, I am sorry for your loss. Your Mom was fortunate to have had such a special relationship with her daughter. Your Mom was right, now it's your turn to relax and enjoy your life.

• DiV
    DiV Member Posts: 148
    edited January 2017

Hi ladies, just an updateon my treatment. Today i finished 10/25 rads. My throat is sore and have queasy stomach. Taking bmx for throat and zofran for stomach. Radiologist said throat would get worse due to treating Lymph nodes in clavicle and neck. Saw my radiologist tuesday. I really like her. Had a nice conversation with her about my original breast surgeon who is also the head surgeon and head of the board. My radiologist told me breast surgeon didn't want anything to do with my surgery. He told radiologist "why amputate her arm her cancer is only going to spread". I believe if my radiologist and oncologist hadn't stepped in and got me an appointment with the orthopedic and Thoracic surgeons that the breast surgeon would have just let me die. Needless to say I was so pissed. Who made him God to decide my fate. I was so depressed after hearing how he just threw me to the wind. Yes my surgery is controversial but my cancer has not spread. I refuse to just give up like the breast surgeon did.

Annie I've read all of your posts. Your a fighter. Wishing you a speedy recovery and i'm in your pocket.

• GrammaSue
    GrammaSue Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2017

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here, actually to the whole breast cancer thing. I'm 69 years old diagnosed with triple-negative breast cancer, grade 3 with a high Ki-67 (over 50%). I have not yet met with my surgeon (I put up a new post a few minutes ago) and don't even have an oncologist or even a name of one. Not sure what to do next but I guess the surgeon will be the next person I see. Sure wish there was one of those "nurse navigators" with me now but I guess that doesn't come until you've had surgery?? I have tons of questions. I see that sometimes they try chemo first before surgery. Is anyone doing that now?  I'm afraid by meeting with the surgeon that they'll want to do the surgery first and then I'll get a referral for all the rest, but if that's not the right path for me how will I know if all they do is schedule surgery?

• gmmiph
    gmmiph Member Posts: 662
    edited January 2017

Kathrynn,

My deep condolences for the demise of your Mom. We could never forget the love that only mothers can give unselfishly to their children. Follow your Mom's advice and live your second chance at life to the fullest. Mothers know best.

Hi GrammaSue,

First, you really have to find a breast surgeon and an oncologist. Better if you can find someone who specializes in both. You can opt to have the Core Needle Biopsy first to find out what condition your breast lump may be. The procedure involves just taking a sample tissue from your lump and have it biopsied. The biopsy report will tell you the most important things you need to know including the stage, grade and hormonal assays. You can then decide what you should do next. Usually if your lump is more than 4 cm, you need to undergo a neoadjuvant or pre-operative chemo to try and shrink your lump first before surgery. Some just decide on chemo right away in the hope that they will achieve a Pathological Complete Response (PCR) or complete lump shrinkage and avoid surgery. But all will still depend on yout doctor's assessment. Of course, you will be the one to finally decide on all of thse things. I hope this helps you.

Hello to all TN ladies and a special hug to our friend Annie.

Wishing all the best,

Gina

• gmmiph
    edited January 2017

DiV,

I am including you in my prayers. You can do it. You're strong in body and spirit

• gmmiph
    edited January 2017

DiV,

Your original breast surgeon deserves this cake...

• lovesgreenthings
    lovesgreenthings Member Posts: 99
    edited January 2017

GrammaSue,

Sorry you are just diagnosed, but you came to the right place. These boards are packed with information for every step of the way so my advice is to spend some time on them to get more comfortable with what you will be dealing with. The initial diagnosis, while scary, leaves us all kind of "out there" hanging until things get moving along. Usually the Breast Cancer Surgeon is the first step and they make the recommendations from that point on, including having a nurse navigator assist you if their center offers this service. It is very helpful to have experts guiding you through this, but others have decided to get second and third opinions from other cancer centers as well so the first meeting is important for you in comfort level with the Doctor.

One thing that helps all of us is if you put your profile information up. You do this in the settings section. People with similar diagnosis then can offer suggestions/ideas to you. Things you might not have thought of to ask. I found it helpful to see what other people did or did not do during their treatment. Also, the most recent studies and trials are updated here daily. Check out your profile for this information, the moderators do a great job of placing information that is relevant to you there for you to review.

You can post on the board here or also send a Personal Message to someone if you have questions. All of this helps with the anxiety that comes with this diagnosis. And yes, the waiting is one of the hardest parts but check in her frequently for support. This is a very, very knowledgeable group who understand where you are at right now in the process.

Sending good karma your way,

Anne

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 773
    edited January 2017

GrammaSue, my imaging center had a nurse navigator so you might ask there. Yes, you'll want to consult with a surgeon (or two to see which is the best fit) and an oncologist.

The American Cancer Society is a great resource. They have an oncology nurse available during normal work hours and trained staff members at other hours.

Lyn

• cassylou
    cassylou Member Posts: 40
    edited January 2017

Dear Mandy and Annie, sending you all the love in the world, and thoughts of hope and peace. Love Cass x

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    edited January 2017

You may remember I had a revision surgery on my reconstruction about 3 weeks ago. I loved the results, much more comfy and symmetrical. Unfortunately, I have developed a severe infection in the implant pocket. On Tues I had to have surgery again to remove the implant. I spent an overnighter in the hospital, and I am on 3 antibiotics. Failed!

• DiV
    DiV Member Posts: 148
    edited January 2017

Meadow I am so sorry to hear about your surgery and infection. Your in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 773
    edited January 2017

How frustrating, Meadow! I'm so sorry that you're facing complications undoing the benefits of your revision surgery.

Lyn

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited January 2017

Oh Meadow! that stinks! Scared I, too, had to have an implant removed. Sometimes it seems two steps forward and then one step back. Those antibiotics will do the trick, and when all healed you can get back on track with the reconstruction! Wishing you a SPEEDY recovery!

Welcome Gramma Sue, - this is a great group! Smile

Sending BE WELL wishes to all here.

• Cathytoo
    Cathytoo Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2017

Thinking of you, Meadow.‼️

• gmmiph
    edited January 2017

Sorry to hear about your problem Meadow. I hope it can be resolved soon.

Gina

• SA8PG
    SA8PG Member Posts: 280
    edited January 2017

Agghhhh Meadow. I'm so sorry. I hate infections as you well know. Praying and believing this triple treat of antibiotics will kill the bug and you'll be ready to try again. Hugs my friend.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited January 2017

Kathy so sorry about your Mom. I think I understand how you feel. My Mum is 88 and found my cancer very hard to deal with. My brother also had (prostate) cancer a few years ago, and I have 2 sisters, one of whom died when she was a child. I'm glad that your Mom had such a good and peaceful passing, it must be a great consolation to you. Your Mom sounds like a wise lady.

Meadow so sorry about the infection and surgery. That's a bummer. Hope you are doing OK now. Sending love. X

• gmmiph
    edited January 2017

A short healing prayer for all of us. Please let's all join together in deep faith for our deliverance, especially for Annie and all those needing it most now

• Batesburg
    Batesburg Member Posts: 114
    edited January 2017

What a beautiful prayer, Gina! You are an inspiration!

Meadow, that stinks about your infection!!! Another hurdle! I am sending healing thoughts and prayers. I will also meditate on your healing.

Lyn, that is so interesting about the American Cancer Society and the call line. I never knew that!

GrammaSue, immediately after I was diagnosed I went to a medical oncologist and a breast surgeon. My medical oncologist became my primary point of contact and frankly still is for all my follow up (although I did follow up w my breast surgeon and plastic surgeon a few times) and any questions related to my breast and overall health.

I would recommend choosing a major teaching hospital for your care, if possible. I actually read an article that outcomes can be affected by where you get your treatment......I bet the American Cancer Society nurse could guide you further and/or perhaps start with who/where you were diagnosed?

Things will seem overwhelming for a while but starting with your course of treatment and staying connected with people who care will help you traverse the road ahead.

There are amazing women (and men) on this site who truly care.

Janet

• Batesburg
    Batesburg Member Posts: 114
    edited January 2017

I am so concerned about Annie. I hope and pray she is getting stronger.

• lovesgreenthings
    lovesgreenthings Member Posts: 99
    edited January 2017

Good morning everyone,

Catching up on what is happening here since my lumpectomy on Monday. Sending healing prayers to Meadow for the infection to clear up quickly and on to the next step. Set-backs can be so discouraging but with all of the support of the Mighty TN's behind you, certainly those good vibes will find their way to your infection and help clear it up. You have come so far, keep going!! ox

DiV, your news about the surgeon is just so shocking! Am very glad to hear that you have some new medical professionals advocating for your health. What an insensitive boob of a man. Sending healing thoughts your way as fast as they can go from Michigan to you. ox

CathyToo asked if anyone's Doctors offered prognosis or survival statistics. Mine has always been one to be positive, "You are going to live a LONG life!" One of the reasons I adore him so much; he is an optimist and very smart and very, very kind. Just what we all need to get through this. I used the survival calculator that has been posted on these boards. It showed a decrease in 4 years of life for me with this type of bc and I am now 57, so that takes me to 77 or so. I would be very happy with that but who knows what will really happen and that is what makes this so difficult to let go of and move forward.

My SIL had this cancer in 2005, before the medical community knew as much about how to treat it. It was in two spots in one breast and measured several centimeters with node involvement. She had lumpectomy. She was in a clinical trial then and is doing fine now, 11 years out. That is certainly encouraging news for all of us. She does not do anything much to maintain her health either, just is enjoying life and confident that she was treated appropriately. She has a very strong religious faith that has helped her as well. I will add that she does not know much about her bc status, she chose to have her husband manage it and just followed recommendations. It worked for her I guess, but we are on these boards for a reason, we are seeking knowledge which equates with some control over what is happening to us.

For now, I plan to fight as hard as possible and enjoy everything I possibly can. The initial shock has worn off a bit, yea! Since this is my second time at bat with this disease, I have first hand experience living with the dread. I wasted so much time worrying, it took the joy out of my life so decided to work very hard at letting that go last time as soon as possible when I was done with radiation. It felt so good to be done with treatment and I focused on doing all that I could to feel good. If it helped me live longer great, but what really happened is I just felt so much better overall and could stay more positive.

I lost some weight (was about 10 pounds over my ideal weight and felt very uncomfortable.) Eating well, ton's of exercise including yoga which helped my mental state incredibly. I made some wonderful friendships through my yoga and those friendships are helping me today as well. I highly recommend some sort of meditation for anyone who is feeling anxious. It might not work every time but it works most of the time for me. The trick is to keep at it for a few months. The first few times I was clueless and thought it was just the biggest waste of time. Then I met a woman in class who advised me to stick with it as it takes time to "get it." She was right. Maybe it is a cumulative effect like chemo and radiation?!?! The nice part is you can do this at anytime and anywhere. Just close your eyes and breathe. I did this last Monday during surgery prep and my BP was holding steady at 118/72 the entire time. When I got this second diagnosis it soared to 138/78 and would not budge for a couple of weeks! I kept at it though, breathing, meditating and yoga . . . I think women do not spend anywhere near enough time taking care of themselves. This is a form of self care and it is important for us to do everything we can for ourselves. Much easier said than done.

I hope everyone reading this post has a lovely Sunday and a peaceful week ahead. Back to work for me tomorrow and I find out more about chemotherapy this Friday at my check up. Anxious yes, but glad to put the screws to these nasty cells.

Anne

• slv58
    slv58 Member Posts: 486
    edited January 2017

Kathy, I'm so sorry. Your Mom sounded like quite the gal and gave great advice. Hugs

Meadow, I hope this will resolve quickly and the antibiotics do their thing

GrandmaSue your at the hardest part emotionally now. Once you get a treatment plan you will feel much better great advice from our TN ladies. I agree with a teaching hospital

Annie, in my heart and prayers