Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• justpayton1
    justpayton1 Member Posts: 65
    edited July 2010

MinnesotaMom-Good Morning to you..My boy's (13 &11) just returned from a week long vacation w/ my Dad in Brainerd Mn. They had a blast. I have spent many summers in your beautiful state. Glad to hear you are doing well.

Titan- I am closer to Ill than to Indy..thankfully b-c I am a big time Bears fan. Okay back to b-ball..We don't have a Lebron jersy here..our #23's have JORDAN on the back :). My oldest son was a fan up until all this..I just didn't encourage it because my heart will always be w/ chi-town. He has a poster of Lebron in his room but has stated he "hates" Lebron. I do feel for the people of Cleveland and I can understand their anger( to a point) I just think if MJ would have walked out on Chicago ( in his prime) how devasting that would have been..but really all this media coverage.gimme a break. Just wait until the season starts up..sigh..we will be lucky to get coverage of the local news. :) Oh and they are referring to the King here as the Queen.

hoping everyone is enjoying their weekend.

• justpayton1
    edited July 2010

So sorry just wanted to say a big Thank-you to Titan for giving me a "home" to come too..

• pattypoo53
    pattypoo53 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    Hello,

I was diagnosed in Dec 03, 50 yrs, atypical medullary, they treated it as an invasive ductal breast cancer, 2.8cm, triple negative, no nodes involved out of 28, no vascular invasion, clean margins, lumpectomy, 4xac then 4x taxol every three weeks, then 33 rads. I am over six 1/2 years out this month !! My birthday was on Nov 22,09 and I had never been happier to turn 56!! Its been a roller coaster ride for me, but I am here and doing great. Hang in there! I don't post much, but this board was a life saver to me when I was diagnosed in 03, I felt scared and alone. Everyone offered so much support to me. So far I am doing great, everyday is a gift.

Hugs,

Patty
  • MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited July 2010
     patty:  Thank you so much for posting!  You will be going on seven years without a recurrence!  This is what each of us hope for here:  to be in your shoes in seven years!  Congratulations and thanks again for reminding us that it is possible!
  • HollyHopes
    HollyHopes Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2010

hello triple neg sisters!  September will mark three years as a survivor for me...still get nervous, still worry a bit each day...but generally loving and living life to the fullest!

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited July 2010

I think the thing with the "Queen"..(gotta love that)..is that there is no way now he will be compared to Michael Jordan...MJ wouldn't have done that to his team...just like Kobe Bryant..oh well...plus by waiting so long to make his "Decision" Cleveland lost out on getting any free agents at all..oh well...My son was so mad too..he "hates" Lebron..even though we tried to explain to him that is how pro sports are..especially in NE Ohio!..We are one hour south of Cleveland and we hardly ever go there for anything....we like going to Columbus and OSU Buckeye's alot more.

Anyway..back to BC..MJB..I love your new avatar!  And welcome Holly and Patty!   Great to hear your success stories!  

I'm having a pap test this month..UGH!   My DD is having her first one so I thought I would make my appt b-4 hers since I'm a year overdue....Back in 8/08 I had that "clean" mammogram..found the lump 6 months later..the person who gave me the breast exam was a student...I don't mean to be rude (but maybe I do)...but there is no way a student is giving me my exam anymore....

• Pamelajo
    Pamelajo Member Posts: 124
    edited July 2010

Monika,

I took one Taxol treatment and had the same allergic reaction you did.  My Onc switched me to Abraxane for the next 11 treatments.  I had the first Abraxane on Friday, and no SE's. 

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    edited July 2010

Patty, wow, we have so much in common, my tumor also had medullary features, went thrrough the same tx.  You had more nodes taken, and my tumor was only 1.5 cm.  We should celebrate our 7 years out this Fall!  I wish I had found this board when I was going through the tough stuff.  I have learned so much here.

• Summer38
    Summer38 Member Posts: 96
    edited July 2010

Love to hear all the success stories! Thanks for checking in ladies and reminding us that we WILL get through this...

• justpayton1
    edited July 2010

I also love the success stories..I just LOVE good news. Thanks so much for sharing.

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392
    edited July 2010

My meeting with my new TN friend went well. Trying to swing her over to this page but she's worried about reading negative information. I told her to stay away from some of the other topics and just stick to those that are more supportive. We will see. 

• monisch
    monisch Member Posts: 43
    edited July 2010

Hi ladies,

great forum..... Im 46 and was Diagnosed on Mai 18,2010, had a Lumpechtomy on the 15th of June. My diagnoses :  TNBC,IDC, stage Ia, grade 2, N0, <2cm.  No family History what-so-ever.

Appt. with Onc. on Aug 3.... recommeded is a polychemotherapy FEC/DOC-Taxan, after that 6 weeks rads 5 days per week.

can anyone tell me what i can expect from such a chemo ???? is7 weeks after the Lumpechtomy to long to wait for Chemo treatment ???  Im confused. 

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited July 2010

Hi Monisch and welcome.  Your chemo regimen is commonly used in Canada, and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to fill you in on SEs.  My sister did FEC-D 2 years ago, developed significant fatigue days 3-5 after FEC chemo and body aches after doxetaxal - however, after the first infusion, she learned ways to manage through it (resting a lot, but also exercise). Medications took care of any possible nausea and baking soda mouthwashes kept the mouth sores at bay.  

Chemo is typically started after 4-6 weeks of surgery to allow your body a chance to recover and strengthen.... One study showed that there were no adverse outcomes in patients who waited up to 12 weeks for treatment. For me, chemo started almost 8 weeks after lumpectomy, 3 weeks after axilla dissection surgery.  Hope that helps. 

Good luck, and come back often to chat here - the ladies are wonderful!

• yellowdoglady
    yellowdoglady Member Posts: 52
    edited July 2010

Great thread. 

I'm 50 years old.  Dx 11/08 at age 48, IDC, 1.5 cm, 4/14 nodes, Stage II, Grade 3, ER-, PR-, HER2-.  I had a lumpectomy and axcillary dissection, followed by six rounds of Taxotere & Cytoxin at three week intervals, then 35 blasts of radiation.  So far, so good.  Had a little scare a few months back, but after much testing (bone scan, x-rays, PET/CT, core biopsies) and fanfare it turned out that I had simply cracked a rib.  All that treatment can't cure clumsiness.  Happily, the testing revealed that nothing else of interest appears to be going on.

I am being watched by a flock of hawks.  I see my oncologist every three months, my radiological oncologist every four months, and my surgeon every six months.  Diagnostic mammogram bilaterally once a year, and on the affected side every six months.  That will all start to diminish as time goes on. 

For you ladies just starting out, you can do this!  You won't like it, you won't recommend it to friends for a good time, but you can certainly do it.  I worked through it, though like most I needed some days off here and there, particularly near the end of chemo.  Most people are kind and supportive.  Some are not, but they probably aren't the sort you want for friends.  When someone would stare at the scarf on my head, I enjoyed staring back at their teeth until they checked for food.  When I have to show ID and someone comments about how I shouldn't have cut my hair because they like it better in the photo, I nod and smile and tell them that I didn't cut it, I lost it during chemotherapy.  Rude and insensitive people are out there, but they only embarrass themselves.

Good luck to all of you.

• MonikaV
    MonikaV Member Posts: 148
    edited July 2010
     Hello Ladies, thanks to all of you that answer my question about Taxol. On Saturday I was in so much pain in my legs I could hardly walk.  Then I broke out in a rash only in my legs! WEIRD! Does not hurt or itch. Sunday the pain was still there , had to have my feet up almost the whole day. Yesterday went to see my Onc and they confirmed that I am allergic to Taxol. Go figure ! Cannot do Chemo this week. I am bummed out. I want to get over with this. They are trying to figure out which Chemo will I be able to take. I was so discouraged yesterday, but today it is a brand new day, and I feel better. Have a great day everyone.Smile
  • PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392
    edited July 2010

Hello Yellow dog lady and everyone. Everyone has been so nice on the post. Hang tough all of you still going through treatment. I went back to my Onc. today one year out, and he said I was perfect. I told him I keep telling people that!

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited July 2010

I would agree that your perfect PauldingMom! 

Hopefully Monika that that they will come up with something that you are not allergic too...I remember freaking out about taxol but I don't remember them telling me that I could be allergic to it also!  All that benadryl..plus the the first time..how they watched me like a hawk waiting to see if I was going to be able to breathe after the first infusion..scary stuff.

Ahh well..it still pisses me off that we have to go through all this scary crap...we must all be very strong ladies indeed....we have to be...

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited July 2010

I saw my Onc today for my first post-treatment follow up. My bloodwork was good and the physical breast exam was fine.  I will have a digital mammogram at the hospital at the end of September. This mammogram will be the first since the one I had when this whole mess started!  

Have a nice evening ladies!

Sherri 

• retrievermom
    retrievermom Member Posts: 321
    edited February 2011

Way to go, Sherri!  We are close time-wise in our tx, tho my onc went ahead and ordered my follow-up mammo last week.  I'm glad to hear your bloodwork was good.  Another step along the way.

• MonikaV
    edited July 2010
    Happy for you Sherri. Smile
  • monisch
    monisch Member Posts: 43
    edited July 2010

Thanks Luah.... that info did help alot.  I wasnt sure if it was normal to wait so long before starting chemo. 

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    edited July 2010

I just noticed your new avatar, Sugar.  Very cute!

Monika, did you have Neulasta as well?  I had severe pain that knocked me off my feet from it.  I had it each time, but the bone pain was extreme.

• MBJ
    edited July 2010

monika:  I had a severe reaction to the Taxol on my very last one.  It can happen at any time during the treatment and they just never know.  They really need to start offering the blood tests to see which one works better for us individually.  If you get the Neulasta, have it in the belly--it's supposed to reduce any bone pain side effects.  I had it there everytime and only now have joint pain three and a hlf months later.  Hang in there!

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited July 2010

Monika - as with everything here, so many different reactions. I had neulasta shots (arm) after each DD AC/T infusion and had NO SEs from the shots at all!!!

• Morgan513
    Morgan513 Member Posts: 303
    edited July 2010

It's really strange, isn't it?  We all have different side effects from the same treatments.  I did very well on TC and only got slightly stronger side effects along the way.  I did have an allergic reaction to the Taxotere at my first infusion which they then just infused me more slowly and with more Benedryl.  But by the last infusion, I didn't need the Benedryl.  I also had Neulasta shots and I had bone pain but it was slight and barely noticeable. 

Lorrie

• MonikaV
    edited July 2010
    Hi MBJ . I love your new picture. You look great! Smile
  • jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited July 2010

I just wanted to pop in to see how everyone is doing and say hello.

• MBJ
    edited July 2010

Monika:  Thank you!  I finally got my hair long enough to actually go without a wig.  Since it was in the 90's here today, there was no way I was going to wear a wig.  Only for special occasions or for a client, now.  What a relief!

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited July 2010
    MBJ:  Did you colour your hair?  Mine is mostly gray, even whitish, about your length, and I'm wondering what, if any, colour would work.   
  • retrievermom
    retrievermom Member Posts: 321
    edited February 2011

Mine's super short, mixed grey & white, and I get tons of compliments.  I stopped wearing my wig or scarves as soon as it slightly covered my head.  When it gets long enough to spike it, I will, but am going to hold off on color for now.