Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited October 2010

Laurajane:  Nice to hear from you.  You sound so busy I hope you are not overdoing it...give your body a chance to heal, okay?  Seromas can be a real pain.  As for positive nodes and prognoses, you should have a look at this other thread:  http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/96/topic/743001?page=1#idx_30

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011

Count me in as one of the gals who plan to keep their hair short. Everyone loves it so, why not? It's so much healthier without color or perm anyway.

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011

Oh no...Oh Hell No!

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited October 2010

Laurajane:  So glad to hear you are keeping your spirits up--careful you don't over do it,you did just have major surgery, girl!  Smoking can hinder the healing so give your body the chance to kick cancer's a**!  I could use some of your energy--you are a whirlwind of busy!  Let us know how your scan goes as we are all wishing you many good thoughts!!!

OMG:  Heidi--I have two cats and that is the craziest picture I've ever seen LOL!  I have a friend who has a huge black cat and whenever she turns on the faucet in the bathroom the cat jumps in the sink and lies down and lets her fill it.  Crazy animal!

Titan:  My husband loooooves my short, sassy hair.  I hate trying to deal with it to get it to look like anything, though.

Eileen:  I am near downtown so I don't know much of what there is to offer on the other side of the hill but it sounds like you are in very good hands and that's the most important.  Biotin (B7) really, really helps the hair growth!

Monika & Lynne:  May you both have painfree surgeries and speedy recoveries.

Everyone, have a great week!!!

• mitymuffin
    mitymuffin Member Posts: 242
    edited October 2010

Laurajane, Its so good to hear from you. Yes, it has to mean something that you feel good and are so full of life. 

• JenC
    JenC Member Posts: 186
    edited October 2010

Laurajane - keep up the positive attitude girl.  Like Teka said smoke one for me to:)  I know staying busy keeps your mind off things but you really do need to heal also.  You dont need complications from the surgery.  You need to heal up good and fight this thing:)  HUGE HUGS(((((())))))))

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited October 2010
    Laurajane:  Very good to hear from you and that you're feeling so good!  Yes, definitely enjoy life and LIVE it.  I would also caution on the smoking and delaying healing.  You sound SO busy!  I don't have that kind of energy yet.. had my bilat 10/7.  I'll say the same thing others have... be careful not to overdo it, but in saying that, have the greatest time in whatever you feel you can do!  Let us know how Tuesday goes... will be thinking of you.
  • Cleb
    Cleb Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2010

Thanks Titan.  I'm 55 and found a lump in July 2010 where I had a stereotactic biopsy  1 year earlier (09).  09 biopsy revealed a papilloma.  August 12 2010 biopsy revealed 2.5 cm grade 3 tumor 95% IDC 5% DCIS.  8/24/10 I was diagnosed triple negative.  Had lumpectomy Sept. 1 and started A/C 4 rounds on Sept. 30,2010 to be followed by 4 rounds of Taxol.  Then  30 rounds of rads 3 weeks after chemo ends.  Mammograms didn't reveal anything including DCIS. My mom also has  bc DCIS with nodal involvement.  Her MX site burst open and took 6 months to heal and she still sees our onc every 2 months.  She's 77 and one tough lady.  She could not tolerate tamoxifen so  we watch her very closely. Just found a change in my other breast where a cyst is.  Though it's smaller, it feels a lot like my IDC tumor felt.  It feels so good to tell this stuff to people that understand what I'm talking about.  Best of luck  and prayers to all of you.  By the way, at 32 I had a total abdominal hysterectomy BSO.  I thought that was supposed to keep BC away.  I may just be very unlucky.  Anyway, we are all here now and that's a good thing.

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196
    edited August 2013

{{{{{Monika & Lynn}}}}} Today is the day, right?? Good luck!!!

Glad to hear from you LauraJane.

Welcome to all of our newbies.

Happy Monday everyone!!!

• Swanny
    Swanny Member Posts: 118
    edited October 2010

Hello Everyone.  Been kind of quiet lately.  Doing fine - went and saw my Radiologist for the first time last Monday.  I go back this Thursday for my "markings".  I should start the first week of November but don't know for sure yet.  She said I will have 25 - 28 sessions.  I am looking forward to starting (so that I can finish).  Anyone have an issues when having radiation?  I hear getting tired is the worst side effect and that people's skin react differently.  Some people blister, some don't.  What have your experiences been? 

Saw 2 movies this weekend.  RED - which was much better than I thought it would be and The Social Network.  Both were good.    Take care ALL.

• Luah
    edited October 2010

Hi Swanny:  I had 25 rads plus 6 boosts. For me, fatigue wasn't too much of any issue.  I did get skin burning and itchiness about halfway through, but not much in the way of blisters.  Techs recommended Glaxol base cream, which I slathered on 4-6 times a day.  That really helped.  You'll find everyone has their own favorite cream!  Lots of advice on the Rads board too.  Good luck!

• lululani
    lululani Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2010

Hey everyone.  Thanks for ALL the warm welcomes, comments, and advice!

pamdo-I'll be happy to be your occult buddy.  I read your story with great interest/concern.  I'm glad the chemo got the nodes in your neck. 

In answer to your question, I am also glad that I had a uni-mx; it's easy to say that though because they did find the small tumor, which my BS referred to as stealth.  It's a good feeling to have it out as it was obviously aggressive.  My BS also said that having the mx was a sound decision.  (BTW, my radiology onc. had tried to convince me to forgo the surgery.  He said he could sterilize the area, avoid disfigurement, and the outcome would be the same.)  I will be seeing my med. onc. this Friday and ask her about followup-CT/PET and keep you posted.

Laurajane-I'm glad to hear about your good recovery from surgery and positivity.  I chuckled when I read that you put on your compression sleeve and went to work!  What a gal!!  (I got a scolding after I went to a LIVESTRONG exercise class shortly after my surgery.  They said I needed at least 3 weeks to heal.) 

Eileen-I read what you wrote about those down feelings.  Has anyone taken anti-anxiety/anti-depression meds. after chemo?  

Take care and happy Tuesday! 

• kad22
    kad22 Member Posts: 58
    edited October 2010

Hi All,

Nice to hear from all the newbies - welcome!!

Laurajane - please take it easy, I know you want to live life to the fullest but you just had surgery - rest and make sure you heal. I also caution you on smoking and not healing as fast - please rethink!! ;-)

So I finished chemo at the end of Sept. and know it has onlyl been a month but I have now LOST my EYELASHES and EYEBROWS once again!! UGGGG!!! When will they come back?!?! I can deal with the hair not coming in as fast as I would like but losing my facial hair has me at a loss - so sad. On a positive note I will be leaving for my breast cancer retreat this Thurs. - excited but nervous!

((HUGS))

• mitymuffin
    mitymuffin Member Posts: 242
    edited October 2010
    kad22, sorry to hear about your eyelashes and eyebrows. Does this happen often? That the eyelashes and eyebrows fall out post-chemo?
  • swiftbird
    swiftbird Member Posts: 78
    edited October 2010

kad22 and mitymuffin - delayed SEs from chemo, namely eyelash and eyebrows falling out, is pretty common.  Happened to me.  But I would say that within 2 months, it all came back. With a vengence! I now have facial hair I never had (or noticed) before - but I'm not complaining! I found that losing my eyelashes were the toughest on me - maybe it was because I was at the end, and I was worn down, or has more to do with my vanity... I dunno, but I worked all through chemo, so I turned to wearing my glasses more than I usually do and learning how to use fake eyelashes. 

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited October 2010

Hi ladies - just curious...did any of you see the Discovery Channel show about TN? I saw it advertised but forgot to watch it. 

• cmksocal
    cmksocal Member Posts: 163
    edited October 2010

Sugar77  - I looked the program up on the Discovery Channel website.  The program is shown again on Oct 30 at 8 AM and Nov 6 at 8 AM

Colleen

• navymom
    navymom Member Posts: 842
    edited October 2010

Sugar and Colleen:  Thanks for programming info on TN.  I didn't know anything about it.  I will watch/record for sure!

Kad22: Please tell me more about the BC retreat.  I would be interested in going to one if it were in my area.

Have a good night everyone.

Navy

• Luah
    edited October 2010

Hi all:  Lifestooshort helpfully posted this link to the Discovery show on another thread.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid645226277001

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited October 2010

Thanks Luah, just watched it!

• JenC
    JenC Member Posts: 186
    edited October 2010

Swanny - I start my rads on Nov 8th.  Got my markings yesterday, it was not bad at all.  A little pinch.  Rad Onc told me I have "good skin" so hoping that I wont have many issues. 

Kad - I lost most of my eyebrows and eyelashes too.  I am about 6 weeks out from chemo and I can see a few new lashes sprouting.  THEY WILL COME BACK:)

Jen

• MBJ
    edited October 2010

Luah:  Thanks for the link!  Watched it this morning with my tea.

• TiffanyF4
    TiffanyF4 Member Posts: 104
    edited October 2010

hhfheidi - that picture made me laugh so hard ! Thank you just when I needed it.

Laurajane - so very good to hear that you are positive an enjoying being busy! You have been on my mind so much.

• MBJ
    edited October 2010

MonikaV & Lynne:  Just checking to see how you are both doing.  Hope you are getting lots of rest and are in very little pain.  Gentle hugs!

• TifJ
    TifJ Member Posts: 804
    edited October 2010

Ladies. please help me out!! A friend of mine that is a 4 year survivor (not TN) is telling me that the treatments I will be receiving starting Thursday are not right for me-they should be more aggressive. I will be getting 4tx of Taxotere/Cytoxan. What do you all think? I am a little angry that she is telling me this just as I am about to start Tx.

Tiffany C.

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    edited October 2010

1 cm stage 1? sounds just the same formula for us with your diagnosis

many docs say this is overkill

were your margins clear?

• TifJ
    edited October 2010
    Claire- stage 1b grade 3 no nodes-clear margins. My onc. thought Adriamycin was overkill and that carboplatin works best with herceptin. Does this sound logical to you?
  • Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    edited August 2013

I had your exact treatment

onc said no A - wasn't worth the heart risks

BTW - this treatment for the other cancers would have been looked on as aggressive especially if you had a mastectomy

• Eileen101
    Eileen101 Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2010

Tiffany, first off, I think your friend is out of line. She's not a doctor and no 2 people/cancers are identical. There are so many factors. That said, from your diagnosis: Stage 1, 1 cm. no nodes, from what I've seen from the others, your treatment is protocol and therefore appropriate for your diagnosis. I'm sure your doctor wouldn't hesitate to treat you more aggressively if needed. Thank God, you caught it early and that's not called for.  My warmest wishes to you!

• TifJ
    edited October 2010

Claire and Eileen - Thank you!!! My Dr. said the same thing about A being hard on your heart. Now I just have to think of a polite way to tell this friend (not a close friend) to butt out!