Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• riley702
    riley702 Member Posts: 575
    edited August 2013

This is for you, laurajane! 

And still crossing my fingers for you, Heidi.

• Swanny
    Swanny Member Posts: 118
    edited October 2010

Congratulation Laurajane.  I am so happy for you.  I think you are right - the positive thinking from you and everyone on this board helped.  Take care all.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited October 2010

Hi everyone!  Just thought that I would share this sent to me by a friend with mets.  I know many of us do this already but I like that it is becoming more the norm in the mainstream:

What you should eat (and avoid) to beat breast cancer
    You can't change your family history but your diet can help lower your risk
    Advertisement | ad info
    By Karen Asp msnbc.com contributor msnbc.com contributor
    Explainer: What you should eat (and avoid) to beat breast cancer
    previous next

ADD THESE FOODS TO YOUR PLATE
    Cruciferous vegetables
    Dark green leafy vegetables
    Fatty fish
    Tomatoes
    GO EASY ON THESE FOODS
    Grapefruit
    Vegetable oils
    Sweets
    Processed meats
    Expand
    ·       When it comes to reducing breast cancer risk, you can't change your family history. But you can change your nutritional habits and that could go a long way in decreasing your risk.
    "Because the majority of breast cancer cases don't have a genetic link, you have to conclude that lifestyle factors, including diet, play a large role," says Mary Flynn, R.D., co-author of  "The Pink Ribbon Diet" (Da Capo, 2010) and research dietitian at the Miriam Hospital in Providence, R.I.
    To help lower your risk, here are five foods to eat and five you should avoid.
    ·       ADD THESE FOODS TO YOUR PLATE
    Rich Pedroncelli  /  AP Extra virgin olive oil The benefits:  Olive oil isn't only loaded with risk-reducing antioxidants and phytonutrients -- including squalene which inhibits tumor growth -- it also has a higher monounsaturated fat content than other oils. Monounsaturated fats don't oxidize in the body. Oxidation, a process that produces chemicals called free radicals, increases cancer risk. 
    Reap the rewards:  Add at least two tablespoons of olive oil a day to your diet, perhaps even tossing vegetables in oil, which will make veggies tastier and encourage you to eat more. Use one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil for every cup of veggies. Although it can be high in calories -- about 120 calories per tablespoon-- studies have found that the more extra virgin olive oil in your diet, the lower your risk.

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196
    edited October 2010

yay, yay, yay LauraJane!!!!

thinking of you today, Heidi.  stupid scans.

• MBJ
    edited October 2010

Heidi:  Sending you many good thoughts for your scan today! Hugs!!!

• MonikaV
    MonikaV Member Posts: 148
    edited October 2010

Laurajane : YAY!!!!!!!!! So happy with your good news!!!!!!Smile

Lynn : How are you doing? I am feeling ok, and yes I am able to rest in my own bed. How about you? 

Everyone thanks for the encouragement. I saw the PS yesterday and she is very pleased with results. I have minimum bruising and in her own words it looks exeptionally good. My nipples look alive and I do feel my breast. I am happy. Smile I will see my BS on Monday and I will post more details. I will try to post some before after pics at the forum. 

Have a great weekend everyone.

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited October 2010

Monika  - so glad to hear you did so well and are recuperating well!  Have a wonderful weekend! (try not to over-exert in anything, no matter how well you feel!)

Linda

• MBJ
    edited October 2010

MonikaV:  Such great news!  You will feel like doing more but careful when you reach, pull or pick up something because you don't want to strain the new surgical area.  Did your PS say bra 24/7?

• swiftbird
    swiftbird Member Posts: 78
    edited October 2010

Laurajane, (((((woooohooooooo))))))))!!!!!  That's AWESOME! 

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited October 2010

LJ - I'm doing the happy dance and sending (((hugs)))

Sugar - if there is anything I can do, please let me know. 

• laurajane
    laurajane Member Posts: 305
    edited October 2010

I'm celebrating life! My bandages were removed on Thursday. I can't feel my skin. It is so odd. Will the sense sensation come back where my breast was ever or after recon? I wish they could have at least saved my nipple. Silly to think about now really, but I do plan on being around a long time now. My surgeon said because of my results on my petscan I could now think about recon once I heal. I was in such a state of shock about my progosis right before surgery I never even gave it a thought considering they said I only had a few months to live. Wow now I have a year and hopefully many more.

Thanks again to all of you for the well wishes. So fun to celebrate with you.

Monika and Lynn hope you are healing quickly. 

• retrievermom
    retrievermom Member Posts: 321
    edited February 2011

LJ:  It's so good to hear from you and that things are going so well.  Come be a ski pro this winter, now that you're off the bunny hill.  I'm not a skiier myself, but love going up the canyons.  I'm about an hour from Park City.

MonikaV:  Happy dance for you, too.

Best things:  Taught a dog training lesson this morning then went to lunch at an Indian buffet with another friend.  Cleaned up the garden this afternoon, cause more wet weather's on the way.

• MBJ
    edited October 2010

Laurajane:  Such great news--I cannot tell you how happy this makes me!!!  I had a UniMx on 3/20/10 with delayed/immediate reconstruction.  I had my implants (I augmented my natural side to match) put in on 8/20/10 after 5 months of expansion on my MX side.  I have to say they look better then my originals and the feeling is coming back.  I do miss my nipple but not as much as I thought.  I am just so happy to be alive!

When you are ready to consider reconstruction, come on over to Breast Implant Sizing 101 or Exchange City.  Great bunch of women supporting others who are going through reconstruction.  There is also a private picture forum so you can see the results of other women who have been through this before.  PM me anytime if you would like to join and I will get you started there.  They are all women from BCO and it is completely private, for women only.  Have an amazing Halloween weekend.  Hugs!!!

• MBJ
    edited October 2010

Retrievermom:  Nice!  I just love Indian food!  Yummy!  Have a great weekend.

• Lynn18
    Lynn18 Member Posts: 284
    edited October 2010

Laurajane; Congrats on getting your bandages off!  That must feel good.  It is exciting to think about reconstruction, isn't it?

Monika:  I am feeling a little better each day.  I hope you are too.  Today I went out for the first time since surgery, it was so nice to get out!  Good to hear your doctor's appointment went well.

MBJ:  Thanks for the information about foods.  I have been reading about what foods are best and that is right on target.  I am trying to reduce my sugar intake.  I have been eating blueberries since reading that study that suggested they are good for TN, they are actually good for lots of things.  I need to lose a few chemo pounds, hard to do around Halloween lol.

• swiftbird
    edited October 2010

I'm with others - now that I'm finally just past chemo and radiation (as of last week), I'm giving myself this weekend to rest and heal, but I invested in some new running shoes and I'm going to get it together starting next week... shed some chemo pounds (ok, I didn't gain any weight but I have about 20 to lose anyway) and get my stamina back.  I'm glad that's the hardest thing I have to worry about now.  I can DO this! 

Sadly, I had my own sister last week call me, concerned that I was on some level focusing on others who are not as fortunate as I - since I recognized that there are some ladies out there who are struggling against this crappy disease... she thinks I'm obsessing.  I hate to cut my own sister out of my small circle of people with whom I share my thoughts and concerns... weird thing, she's a nurse's assistant. *sigh* It's not unhealthy for me to acknowledge our sisters in need, is it?? Geez.  

I see my onc and radiologist for (final?) follow ups on monday. I got new glasses today. I stood up very quickly with my new glasses, got a bit dizzy, freaked out because it occurred to me that  now had brains met.  THIS is the new normal?? (dayum)  HRMPH 

• Swanny
    Swanny Member Posts: 118
    edited October 2010

Best Thing Today (before it happens):  I am going for a massage in 1.5 hours.  I am sure it will feel great.

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited October 2010
    Laurajane:  Love hearing you so happy and full of life!  It's an exciting new world out there and you're embracing it.  So many people go through life and never really realize how important the little details of life are.  On the numbness... I have it too.  It's very irritating.  So far, I've seen little change, but I hear from others that a lot of the feeling comes back over TIME.  Being that I know a little about medical issues, I can tell you it takes quite some time for nerves to grow back, but many of them do.  I have more feeling on my right (noncancer side) than my left.  And I have feeling from the nipple down and to each side toward the armpit.  But the top... from the niple to about 2" from the collar bone... pretty doggone numb and alien feeling.  Definitely look into reconstruction and look at the picture board Timtam has to see the process of many who've had it done.  It's an excellent resource and I am amazed at the results!
  • MBJ
    edited October 2010

swiftbird:  Obsessing??!!  Well, until you have cancer, you can't know how it feels.  I try and make myself available to anyone who needs it--This board has been such a comfort and help to me and it's all about paying it forward, isn't it?  I don't know that I would cut your sister out of your life but let her know that you never really "get over" cancer.  There isn't a cure yet, and it is very healing for you to stay focused on it so you can stay well!  I hang out on the Nature Girls thread as there is some amazing information there on foods that heal, supplements, Iodine, recipes--a bit of everything.  My perspective is, since my cancer isn't hereditary, I must have done something to contribute to getting it so making lifestyle changes is a huge part of getting better--and hanging out here with my BCO sisters!!!

• MBJ
    edited October 2010

cc4npg:  Timtam needed some help so several of us, including myself, are helping to get others to the picture site, though she still does the final approval.  She was getting a bit overloaded there.

• swiftbird
    edited October 2010

MBJ. Thanks for acknowledging how personal this is and how, unfortunately, it's hard to understand unless you've gone thru it. Funny, I mentioned one person who was having a tough time, once. In a way I wonder if I have myself to blame - I worked through chemo, and radiation, totally toughed it out and didn't complain to anyone who doesn't see me on a daily basis which is mostly my DH and very tight circle of friends.  In a way, I was trying to stay positive for my own sanity, but sometimes it came off like I didn't need any help or never had any fears.  I'm sure lots of ladies here have experienced the same thing. So the one time I acknowledged how tough and scary this is and I got a lecture about staying positive and moving on.  

Sorry to vent - I'm fine and over it. Not worried. My sister is a bit of a drama queen sometimes... 

• MBJ
    edited October 2010

Swiftbird:  It's sometimes even difficult for DH and friends to "get it".  I'm the same way.  Wore a wig through it all and most people didn't even know I was sick!  Venting is what BCO is all about! Hugs.

• MBJ
    edited October 2010

Swanny: A massage?  Wahooo!!!

• unklezwifeonty
    unklezwifeonty Member Posts: 30
    edited October 2010

A massage sound great.......

• TiffanyF4
    TiffanyF4 Member Posts: 104
    edited October 2010

TifJ - You are getting the exact treatment I reacieved and our DX is almost the same. However, my tumor was 5.25.  Your going to be fine with your treatment my oncologist stressed to me that there is absolutley no studies that state that more is better when it comes to chemo.  You will hear so many people tell you so much garbage. Just let it go in one ear and out the other. If you feel comfortable with your oncologist then just tell her that " You trust your oncologist and you appreciate her concern but you have a treatment plan you feel will be effective." Hang in there girlie!

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited October 2010
    MBJ:  Thanks for letting me know on the pic forum.  Sometimes people will ask who to contact.  Who should I tell people to contact if they would ask?  I'd been telling them to look up Timtam and pm her.  It's a wonderful site, btw.
  • lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited October 2010

Swiftbird:

You are not alone, my sister is exactly the same way with me.  I love her dearly, and she is my only sibling, 5 years younger than me, but if I voice any fear over a pain, another gal on one of the boards I go to recurring or progressing, fear of getting scanned, fear of this triple neg beast - whatever - I get the lecture how my cancer was early stage, no nodes, all treatment done - be positive, stop obsessing over it, and get off the boards.  I need to just live my life!  Hello???  I am a widow, work full time, worked through all of my chemo other than infusion day, suffered greatly throughout my chemo - had every damn side effect known to man, raise my 15 year old grand-daughter and am running, running constantly.  Live my life, ummm, that's what I thought I was doing.  I hate it when she does that, but I really think she is just so afraid since I'm triple neg, that she really can't face it coming back (like I can?????).  Get off these forums???? And then what, just try to speak to her about any of my fears???  No thanks, I think I'd rather drive off a cliff. 

Linda

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196
    edited October 2010

Linda - I hear the same "get off the boards" advice.  People just don't understand...

• TifJ
    TifJ Member Posts: 804
    edited October 2010

TiffanyF-thank you! I feel good about my treatment. I feel that since I had a bmx-it is all gone. However, the chemo is insurance to get any other pesky cells that may have gotten loose!! My cat scan was clear, now just waiting on insurance to approve PET scan. Are you still undergoing treatment?

Tiffany C

• JenC
    JenC Member Posts: 186
    edited October 2010

Laurajane.  I just read your post and CONGRATULATIONS and super huge ((((HUGS))))