Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• kburdic
    kburdic Member Posts: 15

whippetmom - all I can do is laugh my sister -n law that sews came over Saturday and made me a  nice little insert for my bras to even out things, I  woke up this am took the bra off I have been wearing 24/7 to find implant has plundge now to the bottomSurprised . Before I had a big hole on the bottom now I am flat on top with an implant kind of free floating on the bottom. Do you think there is any reason to let PS know I am sure there is nothing she can do till recon in 3-4 months. I see her in 2 weeks but my husband things I shouls let her know sooner.

any advice ??

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

This is the straw that broke the camel's back! Tommoro I do bmx with TE and start down the long winding road to get to where you ladies are. I had found some good bras a few yrs back and the PS of course told me that I wont be needg these underwire padded bras anymore. She told me to go to Walmart and get some sports bras (just until or heal?) I asked her how the implants and TE would stay in place when running etc without a special bra. She is telling me all I need is the alloderm and the pec muscle. Really?!!! Maybe just one PS doesnt know it all,especially if other PS around the USA are giving diff info. What are the UK and Aussie docs sayin? Sorry,I left off the Canadians and bunch of others...whats going on in the rest of the universe with the world of bc? Once again the WhippetMOM and the co-horts have outdone themselves with their uncanny wisdom and research and once again we are indebted to you. Thx so much, I have a wealth of info gleaned off this site to digest. So scared for 2moro,my body will change forever to resemble some sort of Barbie type creature..hmmm

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

kburdic:  You need to send me photos!  I am sending you a private message!

• whippetmom

Layla:  Before Val started this thread, I know that the hundreds of women coming through these bc.org portals - had no idea where to go with breast support after reconstruction.  It is a blessing to have all of this information at our fingertips!

• kburdic
    kburdic Member Posts: 15
    whippetmom sent you an email
  • jepsj5
    jepsj5 Member Posts: 13

Deborah,

Yes thats the one I bought in green! :)

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Dawne-Hope - sorry about the mistake, it was 1openheart who wrote about the vanishing back.

I am just losing it, I think. Too much work and not enough play. DH has been a very sick boy for the past several months, actually having to spend some time in a nursing home/rehabilitation facility so I am not really with it some of the time.

I did have a Soma client the other day who had had BMX years ago with no recon and had some issues. I was able to help her and she said of all the times she had been in the store no one "got it" and had any suggestions/solutions. Made me feel good to help.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,273

Layla:  We'll keep you in our thoughts tomorrow.  Hope all goes well.  Every PS is different.  Mine told me I'd never need a bra of any kind ever again. Hmmm.   I'm using double sports bras at the gym. Usually Danskin from Walmart.  I don't feel comfortable running or even walking fast or exercising w/o support.  In fact I'm never w/o a bra or a "bralette" or a stretchy cami.  I learned more on these BCO threads than I did from my excellent but taciturn PS.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Delilahbear - That's awesome and what a blessing for that woman that you were there!  Kiss 

I hear you on the losing it ... a few weeks ago I was really nauseous.  Through a process of elimination I discovered it was my vitamin D3 that was making me sick.  Well ... I've since discovered that the last time I bought D3 I bought 1 bottle that was 500 IU's and one that was 2000 IU's.  I usually take 4x day of the 500 IU's to get my recommended dosage of 2000.  I was naseous because I was inadvertenly taking 4 of the 2000 IU's .... 8000!  Surprised  Too much for my system at this point in time.  What an idiot!  So ... I totally get the 'losing it' part.  Wink

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Layla - Good luck tomorrow! Lots of folks from here will be thinking of you.

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Dawnehope -- OMG 8000 a day!  No wonder you were sick to your stomach!  Glad you figured that out.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    Dleilah that is a big part of the reason I love working at Soma. I wanted to work at the maill, and I took 5 jobs at once to try them all out. I found that even though I am selling bras to all kinds of women I so foten get clients with bc it's alarming, but I am glad I am there to help. I am hoping that I can do more some day soon, maybe for the AMC. I have one more surgery at least so I am waiting until I can say ok I am done.
  • Summer2recover
    Summer2recover Member Posts: 71

Hi Carroll2,

I have recently been noticing adds for Soma on TV.  I never noticed them advertising before I started paying attention to Bra brands after reading up on them here.  I was wondering  what kind of feedback are you hearing about the Soma underwear as well?

• 1openheart
    1openheart Member Posts: 250

Summer2recover,

I love the vanishing edge underwear.  They are about all I wear now.  Just make sure that you don't put them in the dryer.

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Summer2Recover - I also work at Soma, as does Carroll. The TV adds do seem to bring people into the store.  They mostly all come in for the vanishing back and when it doesn't fit them they get upset. When the vanishing back fits, it is great and everyone says it is so comfortable. I cannot wear them for some reason. I like the Selena (embroidered, sexy), and Emma (minimizer which is supportive and smoother). Every person is built differently and sometimes it is a time consuming process to get a proper fit, but once it happens it is a great feeling to have helped someone.

• Summer2recover
    Summer2recover Member Posts: 71

Thanks Deliahbear, I saw the vanishing back back on TV.  Your right, bras are like jeans, finding the right fit is crtitical.

1openheart, I may have to order a pair online.  Thanks for your input!

• Estel

I so wish there were Freya stores in the U.S. ...

I gave Freya "Nieve" the longline bra, the ultimate test today...I wore her while driving. That is the one remaining activity that still causes me pain if I do it for more than two hours. She passed that test with flying colors...I've seriously never worn a more comfortable bra. I don't know why but the longline keeps me from hurting down my left side which has been an issue since my BMX almost two years ago.

• Estel

Layla2525 - thinking about you this evening. Let us know how you're doing when you can. xoxo

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    summer2recover I like the vanishing edge underwear. They don't ride up, and they don't show panty lines. I got a bunch when they went on sale. I also really love the Soma thongs. I wear my vanishing back bra it's very comfortable for me. I also have an Allura and a Desiree, I like them as well, the Allura gives me more projection, and the desiree is a nice demi cup. But I agree with Delilah it can be a process to find the bra that fits right. I tried on at least 10 different bras after my surgery before I got the right bra and the right fit. Since I do this for a living it only took me about 15mins but I have spent over an hour helping customers at times. I like to see how they look when they ask me about fit. Most women do not wear bras the right size, and most women have a very distorted view of their body. Some women love lots of cleavage and some want to hide it, some feel they are too small and don't want to be smashed down at all, and some feel they are too big and don't want an ounce of padding. Some women have tiny rib cages and larger shoulders, some are thin but have some extra skin from weight loss on their sides. We are all shaped differently good thing we have choices.
  • Estel

Just want to say thank you to Val61 and whippetmom and other ladies on here who've helped me find a way back to sexy after BC.  

I had no idea that such pretty bras existed prior to BC.  I remember the first time I read the header to this thread and went to the links posted on suggested bras ... I cried because they were so pretty.  I thought I'd never wear pretty bras again.

Happy Valentine's Day, ladies!  Single or married ... know that you are loved.  Thankful for all my sisters on this board and on this thread.

I get joy every morning trying to decide what bra and matching knickers I'm going to wear that day.  And I have you all to thank ... Kiss  We're bringing sexy back.  Wink

Thank you and lots of love on this day!  xoxo   

• rubalou
    rubalou Member Posts: 89
    Hi All! I love you, my breast cancer Sisters! Happy Valentine's Day and Thank You all for your time and sharing to make others journeys easier! Kiss
  • whippetmom

Happy Valentine's Day beautiful sisters!

I had tears in my eyes when I read DH's post!  It is so true!  We are bringing SEXY back after breast cancer.  I feel the same way! 

I just bought a Freya Faye today.  Cannot wait to get it!

Love you all!

Deborah

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161

Happy Valentine's Day to all of you kind women.  I know I am loved.  You are loved, too.

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

DH - As Whippetmom said, your post was perfectly beautiful!  We CAN be sexy after BC took away what many consider to be the epitome of femininity!  Kiss

And though I missed "seconding" Dawne-Hope's comment yesterday (too busy making dinner for my Valentine sweetie), I will do so now.  You all hold a special place in my heart!!

On another note, decided not to keep that Natori Sheer Mesh #132005.  Plunge bras are difficult with implants - or at least I've found that to be so.  Perhaps it's those of us without much ptosis.  Anyway, the underwire on my usual size was too big - didn't hug the lateral aspect of the implants - so tried a size down.  That wire fit, but the cup barely covered my tatoos, plus dug into the skin a bit.  Almost gave me a "double bump" look - not what you want on a singe side!  I must say it was very light, so thought it would be perfect here in the 100+ degree summers.  C'est la vie......   I think I'll buy a Freya "Pixie Sugarplum"  or wait a few weeks for the "Roxanne Midnight Rose".......

Layla - Thinking of you and hoping all went well on Monday!  Feb 13th is a big day in our house - my DH's AND my younger son's  birthday!  Hope to hear from you when you are able! Cool

• whippetmom

ANITA BRA - 5411 - GOOD LATERAL SUPPORT AND WIRELESS!

For those of you who need or prefer wireless bras, there is an Anita bra in 5411 on Ebay currently - many sizes available - brand new - for $16.00.  The best thing about this bra is that it has lateral support panels, which is what some of you need after the exchange.  The size fits pretty true to form.  I wear a 34 DD in Natori but a 34 E in Freya and Anita.  The band fits a little tighter than Freya or Chantelle, but not enough to go up in the band, unless you are sort of between band sizes.  Here is a picture of the bra: The available colors are cranberry [actually darker red than the photo] and pale blue.

Just go on eBay and in the search box, enter Anita 5411.

Keep in mind this is a three part bra and not exactly a "tee shirt" bra. It is a pretty bra and comfortable enough to sleep in.

• tenaj
    tenaj Member Posts: 365

Thanks Whippetmom, just ordered!!! Can't wait to get it!!

• whippetmom

tenaj:  Don't remove the tags, because the seller accepts returns within 7 days.  Return ASAP and reorder another size.  Hope it works for you!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Nice bra Deborah!  One of the prettiest wire free bras I've seen.

• tenaj
    tenaj Member Posts: 365

Thanks for the info on that Whippetmom. Looks beautiful, I hope it fits. I see my PS tomorrow for my 4 week check up & then plan on visiting a local boutique that I found has certified surgical fitters & will submit Rx to my insurance co.

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161

Thanks, Deborah.

That Anita bra looks like it may be my salvation with the swelling problem I have.  I can see the lateral support it will give because of the side support panels.  But the lack of underwire will allow the lymph fluid accumulation to drain.

At least at night, this might give some comfort.  I don't think I am advised to not wear underwire during the day, but this is an excellent alternative for sleeping.