Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• greytcruise
    greytcruise Member Posts: 62

Hello everyone, just had another surgery to fix my foobs.  I ordered 5 bras from Herroom, if you have not ordered from them before, beware that not all are returnable (I called in my order).  My PS chose the Freya Sports braAA4002 Active Sports bra.  I ordered 2 more from Nordstrom.  There is a little extra fabric in the cups, but PS liked the fit.  I got my foobs lifted and seperated and now I feel normal.   Trying to find bras that are wide and high wire in center over 2". I ordered a Freya 4301 Amethest and a Panache 5051 in black that works great for seperation.  I ordered a Freya 4981 Rosewater and I am afraid it may produce cleavage and not seperate-any input?.   Now to find lift and seperation bras I can wear to work and not to sleep in.  Glad this thread is still going.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

greytcruise - I'm glad you are at a place where you feel normal again. :)

I've never had that problem from herroom. I've only ever ordered online and there is a return policy on things you order online. That is weird.

I'm glad you've found some bras that your P.S. is happy with.

For a high center wire, try Fantasie, a sister brand to Freya. Generally, the wires on the Fantasie bras come up higher in the middle than most Freyas.

You might also check out some Anita bras...the wires come up high in the center of some of them too.

Others may have more specific and other suggestions....

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

You can't return sale items on Herroom.  It says that clearly on the site.  But I always say: never assume!

• Estel

Herroom clearly says you can't return items on clearance ... but it is right there in RED on the item you are about to purchase.  You don't have to look for the fine print .. everything else you can return.

Edited to add:  On items that I have bought on clearance on herroom .... I have had to check on a box which acknowledges that I understand that I cannot return the item.  It is impossible to buy from them online and NOT know you cannot return it.  It is very clear. 

• Lilah

Ah OK - I thought it was anything on sale with a price that ends in a 99 (or something like that).  But yeah that checking the box thing helps!

• Estel

Thought this was coming.

Freya "Pollyanna" has been discontinued by Freya.  She's on sale on herroom.  I'm thinking "Faye" is replacing her.  If you like her ... buy her up now.

http://www.herroom.com/freya-5922-pollyanna-balcony-bra.shtml

Also ... Freya "Eleanor" was a favorite of mine right after my exchange.  She was discontinued almost two years ago.  I've recently tried "Lyla" and she is fabulous!  A wonderful substitute for the discontinued "Eleanor."

http://www.herroom.com/freya-4301-lyla-underwire-plunge-balcony-bra.shtm 

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

OH NOOOOOO......not my beloved Pollyanna! Admittedly, I figured this would happen before long....they have to keep us buying bras with new styles! I've been beyond busy of late, so no time to hang out on computer drooling for bras.....almost makes me wish for those post-op days in bed......ALMOST!! Will do what I can to help liquidate their stock😊.

Speaking of Freya/Fantasie, don't forget about their swimwear, especially if you're in the first year post-exchange. Their tops provide EXCELLENT support for new foobs, keeping them in place even when you're lounging on your back in the sand!

greytcruise and friends - DH is correct- many Fantasie styles have higher center wires. Look for styles called "full fit". They have a fuller cup than demi-cups, so have higher wires. Another one to check out is Le Mystere's "Victorienne" bra. I think the cups run full, but everyone's different. Bras that I tried and returned because the wires were too tall in the center: Freya Antoinette, Fantasie Shannon, Fantasie Rhiannon. Don't know if they're still around, but if not, will have new "sisters" essentially the same. Good luck!

• marial
    marial Member Posts: 98

How long should you wait post exchange to get fitted for a bra?

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    marial i think every docotor recommends a different thing as far as bras go. Mine told me to start wearing underwire 2 months after my exchange. It's now 6 months and the same bras still fit fine even though things seems to look really different. I bought 5 bras I am holding off buying anymore now until after my nipple surgery beause he will be doing sime lipo so don't know if that will change the siaze at all.
  • Estel

marial - As per the the header, Val61 was fitted right after her drains came out.  

My P.S. told me no underwire for 3 months.  As Carrol2 said ... all our P.S.'s are different.  Ask your P.S. on his preference regarding no underwire/underwire.  It also depends on where your incision is ... if it is in the IMF (underneath the breast) ... that can limit your choice.  

I was fitted at six weeks and went ahead and wore underwires before the three month recommendation of my P.S. ... it was just more comfortable.  Ultimately we need to make the decision that is best for us.  (All of our bodies are different).

• val61

Welcome, Mariel! Please do check with your PS regarding his/her preferences. While there is usually some generalized swelling post-exchange, it is often not enough to make a difference in bra sizes. The sooner the implants are supported the better; the capsules (scar tissue) begin to form immediately, and you want them to form in the most desirable position. As DH said, my PS sends his patients to be professionally fitted as soon as the drains come out. Until he approves the bra at the next appointment, he has us wear the Warner's Elements of bliss unlined bra (style 1003?). That bra has no padding, trim, or anything else to influence implant position, which is exactly what you want. Instill wear the same size I was initially fitted post exchange.

• marial
    marial Member Posts: 98

Thanks Val..I asked my plastic surgeon and he said he has no preference snout any sort of bra..basically whatever I prefer..I had surgery on Friday and hope to get my one drain out tomorrow.

• Crescent5
    Crescent5 Member Posts: 64

Thank you so much for this thread. And thanks (I mean THANKS) for introducing me to Freya. Now I'm hooked! I have to check with PS to make sure fit is OK. It looks like it's the exact width of the implants which may not be great?

• lisak7290
    lisak7290 Member Posts: 103

I just had my exchange yesterday and was told to wear a sports bra. I got the mentor Smooth round high profile @ 300cc. I can't even guess what kind of bra I will need. How soon is to soon to be fitted?

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Val - just wanted to say thanks so much!!  Yesterday was 2 years since my PBMX!!  I have found the perfect bras (with your help) and just wanted to let you and all the ladies on here know how much I appreciated all your help.

When I went to the PS a couple of weeks ago - he said underwires during the day, underwire sports bras and soft bra at night - forever.

Hugs, Valerie

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291

I went for my first fill today with my new TE's.  Prior to finding this thread, I assumed a bra would be a thing of the past. I actually got very depressed when I read I'd need one. to my delight, when I asked my doctor about a bra she told me I would never have to wear one. She's recommending one now because I'm 2 weeks post surgery with sutures along the fold but she said once I have the exchange I won't need one.  

why are they all so different????  

• Estel

lisak7290 - In the header above, Val61 was fitted as soon as her drains came out.  Some PS's say wait a couple of weeks ... they are all different.  One of the things that was a 'duh' moment for me was regarding my PS telling me to wear a sports bra.  The only sports bras that I've ever had are those compression bras you put on over your head.  Learning the hard way and then reading on here, I realized that the kind he meant was a zip up the front, or hook up the front sports bra.  Nordstrom's is the best place to get fitted because they have specially trained fitters for women that have had reconstructive breast surgery.  If there is one nearby, call and make an appointment with a 'surgical fitter.'  I've also had good experiences at local MX stores.  Keep us posted on how you're doing!

GreenMonkey - It IS frustrating, isn't it? Not sure the why but they vary from the opinion to your PS to the opinion of Val61's PS.  We have to do our research and find out what works for us.  Even with alloderm to provide some support on the bottom, there is little to keep the implants in place.  They like to bottom out or drift over to the sides.  Like the header says, not having proper support is one of the major reasons for revisions.  Gravity is not our friend, even with implants.  Most of find too, that after our exchange we feel more comfortable with a bra.  It hurts NOT to wear one.  I've foundd bra shopping fun.  :)  I never cared before BC and never, ever had any matching lingerie.  Now, it is fun to embrace my feminine side and decide which pair to wear for the day. Kiss 

• Lilah

Can I just say that I really HATE this new format on BCO? 

• Estel

Lilah - ME TOO! :(

• Lilah

It's like when Facebook changes their format without asking. 

• GreenMonkey

kayb, that makes sense (regarding the weight). I never even considered weight. Knowing that, I am definitely going smaller (full B at the most).

I am wondering if the sutures along my natural fold and on the sides (so uncomfortable right now) that were necessary because of dicdocs (1st PS) mistakes, will help prevent them from bottoming out or drifting to the sides.

I soooo DISLIKE this new format. 

Before my BMX I had a party and burned all my bra's. silly me!

• Estel

GreenMonkey - Those sutures are likely not enough to keep everything in place, gravity is pretty powerful.  The constant weight pulling on them, you will need more support, IMO.

Most of us were wearing the wrong size bra, anyway, GreenMonkey!  I know I was ... I wore a 34B for years ... then after my lumpectomy I found myself driving around holding my left breast for support.  I went and got fitted and found out I was a 32C.  Most of us are wearing a bra too big in the band and too small in the cup.  AND with implants, we often need a bigger size cup than we think because the implants are w i d e r than our natural breasts.  We need a professional fitting.

• GreenMonkey

thanks Dawne-Hope! without sounding like a dumb ass, where do you go for a professional bra fitting? 

• westieluv
    westieluv Member Posts: 245

I got mine at a Dillard's and a Nordstroms. One put me in a 32dd and the other said 32ddd. After time, I found the DDD bras to be more comfortable. There's not so much breast projection but Dawne is correct.....the implants are very wide.

• Estel
    GreenMonkey - westieluv is right.  In my post above, May 8, in my post to lisak, the one above yours ... I noted where to find a fitter.  Nordstroms has specially trained fitters for women who have reconstructed breasts from BC.  If you can go there, I would.  Call ahead and make an appointment with a 'surgical fitter.'  Like westieluv ... I too have had a good fitting at Dillards and local masectomy stores.  I would first try a Nordstroms if you have one nearby.
  • val61

Happy Saturday, my bra-loving friends! Wouldn't you know this thread would re-surface during one of the craziest weeks of my life! Thanks my sweet friend, Dawne-Hope, for being here when I'm not -as always!

Professional fitters are found in major department stores and bra specialty shops (not just those for mastectomy patients either). Nordstrom has excellent fitters, though of course, we have heard of some less than stellar ones occasionally. Dillard's, Macy's, and perhaps Bloomingdsle's are also options. Soma stores have trained fitters, too, but i'd suggest to stay away from Victorias Secret - their bras are generally less supportive and they are not as well trained in fitting. Their technique is nothing like how we suggest (see header for specifics).

GreenMonkey - the ability of your IMF and lateral sutures to hold your implants depends on what your PS sutured together. When I had my left revision, my PS specifically used permanent (non-dissolving) sutures and attached my implant to my rib fascia. That is not generally done, but that specific technique should prevent lateral displacement of the implant. So far so good with me - it's been two years now - but then again, I do wear a bra 24/7 do I haven't let gravity have it's fling!

Great to her from my fellow Valerie, vmudrow! Glad you're doing well!

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685

Had my exchange yesterday and PS said no bra????? Woke up post surgery with a pretty little compression top on. Was told to wear this 24 hours a day until my post-op visit (10-14 days)  wish the PS would all agree on bra or no bra..

• GreenMonkey
    I went to my local lingerie shop and tried on a dozen or so bra's - its a high end shop so I was hoping I'd get a professional fit but the sales girl was freaked out by admission of BMX. I was desperate to find a bra that would take the weight off my revision sutures. A day and a half after my first fill I started to experience intense pain on my right side (which was my main problem area). The pain is so intense and drugs don't help (2 different muscle relaxers and pain pills). The only thing that works is if I take the pressure off the sutures. I ended up getting an unwire bra by spanx that closes in the front and is very comfortable. I got a B cup because that is where I think I might want to end up at.  I guess I'll go for a professional fitting post exchange
  • val61

Gosh, GreenMonkey......so sorry to hear that. Sounds like a call to the manager might be in order! No sales associate in a decent lingerie store should be freaked out by breast reconstruction. You mentioned a recent revision, but also that you "wanted to end up a B"" so I'm a bit confused. Csn you clarify for me since I obviously missed a post :)

Ossa - congrats on your exchange! It's common to be in some sort of compression dressing post-op, whether it's a bra or oodles of foam tape, which is what I had. Those first couple of weeks - then first 3-4 months - are SO important for implant stability. If they move - and it's totally possible (MOI!) during that time, then the capsule forms around it and just reinforces the malposition. And yes, after that, there is disagreement among PS's on the bra issue. There is rarely a medical contraindication for wearing a bra, so unless you fall into that category, you will have to ultimately decide for yourself about them. :)

• GreenMonkey

Hi Val61, I am not being clear here. I had revision surgery on 4/24 (new TE's put in and suturing along the natural fold and on the sides). I was bra shopping looking for a supportive bra, something to take the pressure off the sutures along the natural fold because after my first post surgery fill I am in considerable pain. I'm going ot have my PS take saline out on Monday to relieve the pressure.