Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• tenaj
    tenaj Member Posts: 365

Whippetmom: before I take the tags off, what's your opinion of the vanity fair ones I posted?

• susanwmcg
    susanwmcg Member Posts: 36

Thank you all for the wireless info! Hope my drains come out tomorrow so I can go bra shopping.

Susan

• rubalou
    rubalou Member Posts: 89

LOL! We are all bra obscessed!  I keep saying they are the new shoes Tongue out 

Deborah - I am pretty sure i tried on the Elements of Bliss bra - but I've tried so many my head is swimming. If I remember correctly when I got it to feel comfy around th circumforance of my breasts I didn't fill out the nipple area. I'll try again to be sure.

I am about ready to just get one that fits around my breasts even if I don't fill it out and chalk it up to 'training'. Worthwhile? Will these breasts really  'mold'  into a more normal shape?

Help!!!!!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Don't worry about filling out the nipple area of bras...depending on your body...rib cage, spine...with reconstruced breasts with implants you might not ever fill out the end of a bra. We don't have that part of our breasts anymore. What is important in an underwire bra is that the underwire completely encompasses the implants...to do so requires a larger cup size. In every one of my unlined, underwire bras, I have some room at the tip of the cup...some more than others.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

tenaj....I will go look now!

• whippetmom

tenaj:  What page is your post?  I could not find it...

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,273

I'm almost 5 months from exchange.  I Still haven't found a comfortable bra - and have tried on multitudes.  I have one or two I can wear 1/2 a day but then it's back to a Danskin athletic bra.  I have the same problem Rubalou mentioneg - when the cup is big enough to enclose the width, there's baggy material in what used to be my nipple area.  I do understand what Dawn Hope is saying, but 90% of my clothes are form fitting and the wrinkles in the loose cups look cheesy. Wish I could find some really stretchy cups w/o padding.   I too think I've tried on the Elements of Bliss - but eventually I'll get the energy to go try again.  Sorry for the whine but I've spent the last two days trying to see if something might be comfortable.

• Estel

whippetmom - go up eight posts on this page ...I think the post tenaj is referring to is that one ... Vanity Fair #72297 and #72243.

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Rubalou -- I wore wire free bras for 8 months post exchange because my PS told me not to wear wires after exchange.  I said: forever?  She said: No.  So I decided 8 months was long enough and switched to the wired bras then.  It is more challenging finding good fitting wire free bras, for sure, but you WILL find them... and you won't have to wear them forever.  As long as you are wearing a supportive bra you will have good results (when it comes to what a bra can do anyway :)

• westieluv
    westieluv Member Posts: 245

I started out wearing 32DD in Wacoal and Chantelle.  I didn't have trouble filling out the end of the cup but they still didn't feel right.  I found a smooth cup style of Wacoal in a 32DDD and I am in heaven.  The most comfortable bra I've had yet.  The cups are wide, but so are my implants.  I got 2 of them, nude and black. Wacoal #856131 off a clearance rack for about $36 a piece.  I do have just a smidgen of area in the tip that I don't extend to, but it doesn't show in my smooth tshirts.  This is an underwire style.

• Lilah

If anyone has a Nordstrom's Rack in their neighborhood -- this is a great place to haunt (they have a good selection of bras on sale at any time).

• rubalou
    rubalou Member Posts: 89

Lilah,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. My breasts have dropped in the last 24-36 hours about an inch! They are looking more normal and 'feel' like they are getting to a more normal place on my chest. I'm 10 days out. Is this normal to start happening now?

It's reminding me of Cameron's 'Barbie and Skipper'  The right was a little ahead at first and now the left is. LOL!

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

rubalou, tinat and minustwo - Don't despair, ladies!  There are bras for you out there!  I'm deep in the middle of a big fundraiser that is this weekend, so I don't have much time to post right now, but next week should be better!   Although the ideal bra for the first 3-4 months post exchange is completely unlined and underwire, I realize that doesn't work for everyone for a variety of reasons.  So......an EXCELLENT bra (the one my PS uses until you are fitted in underwire) is the Warner's Elements of Blish 2-Ply Wire Free Bra #1003.  This bra is free of any trim that could exert pressure incorrectly on the implants, it is SUPER soft, and very comfy!  The smallest band size is 34, though, so I had to take seams in the sides of mine.  When worn snugly, this will provide some support without squishing Smile.        

To help with the problem of too much space in the cups - I have that with all my sports bras; I just live with the fold at the nips (and I'm up in front of people teaching all the time, too!) -  search for bras with "spacer foam" or "memory foam."  The ones I've seen are all underwire, but if you want to beat me to it, search online for unwired versions.  Otherwise, I'll do some sleuthing next week.  Great ones that are underwire are made by Anita, Natori, Simone Perele (my fave, but quite a splurge admittedly).  

Good luck!  

• tenaj

Whippetmom:  I posted on page 105 re: Vanity fair bras. # 72297 & # 72243. I was wondering what you thought of these ones.  I wore a bra yesterday for the first time since 6/15/11!! The elements of bliss is comfortable and gives a much more appealing look compared to the sports bra.  I measured myself and tried on about 50 of them and ended up choosing a 38C. Pre BMX I was a 38D (if that was even the right size lol) Does the bra size change after the fluff & drop? I would also like your input on those other ones. Thanks

• Lilah

Rubalou -- yes it's normal!  There is drop and fluff initially due to swelling that goes away (post-surgical) and there is also a more gradual drop and fluff that happens over the next 3 - 6 months... all of which contribute to a more natural (or supernatural in Cameron's case ;) appearance.

• whippetmom

tenaj: I probably like 72297 better, but I just do not think that either of them are any better than the Elements of Bliss for what you need at this point in time. 

• tenaj

Thanks, I bought all 3. I've been wearing the Elements of Bliss. Is there a chance my size will change? If so I will return the others while I wait

• whippetmom

tenaj: It would be better to purchase a bra which encapsulates the breasts and you are only going to find one which will do this in the more expensive stores - like Nordstroms.  You have a Nordies in NY, I believe?  You want to get properly fitted - and they have the most qualified fitters.  You could also try the Wacoal Awareness bra - wirefree.

• whippetmom

tenaj:  Could you try the bras on and post photos on Lilah's "Bras" thread on the pictures forum?  So we can see how they are fitting you?

• tenaj

Whippetmom: I will try to post those pic tomorrow. The closest Nordstrom to me is about 1 hour away & I'm not sure how soon I can get there. My DH had surgery yesterday & I return to work on Tues. but will def get there as soon as possible. Thanks. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    tenaj where on Long Island do you live? I used to live in North Bellmore. There is a Nordstrom at Roosovelt Field.
  • tenaj

Carrol2:  That is the one I'm referring to.  I live on the eastern part of Long Island so with the traffic it will take me about an hour.  Hubby needs me right now so I can't leave for that long of time.  Perhaps next weekend.  I am going to call them.  Do you think you need to make an appointment? Do you miss Long Island at all?

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    Tenaj I have actually never gone to nordstrom for a fitting because I work at a bra store that I love called Soma Intimates which is owned by Chicos, I can get you a dscount there if you pm me I will give you the details, that goes for anyone reading this. But from what I have read here you do have to make an appointment at Nordstroms and ask for someone who specializes in fitting after surgery. I really do not miss Long Island at all. I do miss NYC sometimes though. But overall I really love living here in KC. I have a much nicer home here than I did, and it's on 9 acres and I can see my neighbors horses and cows from my window. I think I got better medical care here as well.
  • tenaj
    Carrol2: Your home sounds lovely. I can't imagine living anywhere else but who knows.  My son just took a job in Philly and my daughter is in Cambridge, MA finishing her PhD with her boyfriend. (Maybe one of them will find the cure for cancer!!) A bit of empty nesting going on here.  I love my home and its proximity to the bay & ocean.  You can see the bay at the end of my block & It takes 5 minutes to get to the ocean.  You never know though, my husband lost his job about a year ago & we might temporarily relocate if he finds something elsewhere.  Thanks for the info about Soma & Nordstroms. Have a lovely day Smile 
  • Estel

tenaj - when you call ask specifically for an appointment with a "surgical " fitter. They are specially trained to help women like us.

I'm ignorant of the geography of Long Island and NY but I read articles from Linda the bra Lady and she has a couple of shops in the city. Google her name and find her locations because she is specially trained to fit reconstructed women too.

• tenaj

Dawne-Hope: thanks for the info. Have a wonderful day :-)

• Lilah

Also in the NY/NJ area is a chain of shops called The Bra Smyth (they also have a website) and they have a great selection and knowledgeable fitters.

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

SHOPPING ALERT! While at Marshall's yesterday picking up some decorating items for the raffle I'm coordinating for tonight's big gala, I just happened to pass by the bra section :). New shipment of Ellen Tracy bras - most unlined underwire, but some with a very thin lining - that look to be very good for post-reconstruction wear. Smallest sizes were 34 band, so not for the small-ribbed of us. Best thing -only $9.99! Check out your local Mashall's and you may have some luck!

Hope y'all have a great weekend!

• sweetbean
    sweetbean Member Posts: 433

How soon do you start wearing a bra after your exchange?  The original post says "after the drains come out" but I don't have drains.  i had my exchange on Thursday and am still in that surgical bra - was going to go to VS/Nordstrom and get a better bra (per this thread) tomorrow.  But is that too soon to wear a super tight bra?  My incisions are still pretty tender.  I was also planning on going to BraSmyth in NYC when I go back for my post-op.  The fitters there are supposed to be amazing.  Thanks!

Edited to add: I have IMF incisions.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

I think it depends on what your PS recommends and probably how your incisions are healing, where the implant placements are located, etc. My PS is a "keep it simple" fellow and wanted me to wear no bra for the first week or so. Now (nearly two weeks out), he recommends a sports bra (a stretchy one, not one of the contricting kind) or even just a camisole. I wore a "breast band" rather high up under my arms for the first week and then had to put it back on yesterday as the right implant seems to be "creeping up". I think it looks like it is back in place this morning!