Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Dawne-Hope - You summed it up well. I miss my old ones.

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Janice-- I totally understand.  And quite frankly symmetry is a challenge in UNI MX surgery. Some of the best results I've seen involved women who augment their native breast to match the implant and women whose PS's used a kind of implant that allowed for adjustment of size (with saline)... I can't remember what this latter type of implant is but Whippetmom (see my suggestion below) would know about it.  If you are saying the shape of the implant is not round... that can change with drop and fluff; if you are saying size doesn't match, that likely will not change (is the implant larger or smaller than your native breast?)

It does look like you JUST had your exchange about 4 weeks ago and I will say it definitely takes at least 3 months (often longer) for the drop and fluff to happen.  And with regular silicone (which I assume you had -- as opposed to the gummy) there are often very noticeable changes that add up to looking more natural.  SO here's hoping the shape improves!  If it does not, you should be in touch with Whippetmom here on BCO... she is very knowledgeable about implant sizing and may have some advice for you.

I will add: I was abjectly depressed after my exchange and it took me a good month to START feeling better.  I had pretty good results so it was something else -- maybe postponement of sadness in general over the whole thing (I was relieved after my MX because I thought I looked OK considering).  My expectations were very high and that didn't help... because except for, perhaps, nipple-sparing reconstructions, most of us need time (and nipple tattoo or whatever) to really feel that the look is whole/complete.  So I'm sending you BIG HUGS because I'm sure, at about 3-4 weeks out, you're still getting used to the new you.  Changes will continue.  My biggest change was just relaxing about it and getting on with my life.

Edited to add: I do think there may be other issues going on with you besides simple post partum... and am not dismissing your feeling that there is too much of a differential.  For that reason, I think you should PM Whippetmom sooner rather than later! 

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448

Lilah, I think you are referring to the Mentor Spectrum adjustable saline implant. Becker also makes an adjustable implant.

• nlm
    nlm Member Posts: 11

Thank you kayb and Dawn-Hope. I did have bilateral recon with silicone implants. It took 3 revisions and a second set of TEs to get here. I don't want to have them move laterally My first set were actually placed almost under my arm so I don't know if that would make the current set prone to migrate. I really want to get back to the weight room. My PS said to try it but if they start to move stop.

. I appreciate the advice about the flys and flat presses.
  • Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

I work at Soma so I buy all my bras there since I get a discount. I love the vanishing back bra. It gives a great shape and is very comfy. But my favorite is the Ravishing Plunge push up bra. That really gives me a nice upper pole that is hard to get from recon. If anyone is looking to save some money on SOma bras PM and I will help if I can.

• LaurenM730
    LaurenM730 Member Posts: 100

Carrol- do Soma bras go up to DDDD/G? I was just online but it looks like DDD is the biggest...

• Carrol2

Lauren the Selena Sensuous Lace does. it's really pretty. They jsut started adding G cups to it. My store jsut got it in a lot of colors and matching panties in every cut and color with the same lace.

Here is a link

http://www.soma.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=2&pageId=1&productId=500001633&viewAll=&prd=Sensuous+Lace+Unlined+Selena+Bra&subCatId=cat7399283&color=&fromSearch=&inSeam=&posId=2&catId=cat40089&cat=Bras+Sensuous+Lace&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=1&size= 

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161

Lauren,

What size and style implants do you have?

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235
    janiceg415 - Are you a member of the picture forum?  You can see lots of reconstruction photos there.  PM Dawne Hope, Lilah, firni (I think) to inquire about access and passwords...
  • Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

I'm not a pic forum moderator. PM Lilah or TimTam

• tinat

Oops....sorry!

• tinat

Oops....sorry!

• Estel

TinaT - I was for a short time. No worries!

• LaurenM730

Mondays -I have 650ccs high profile

Carrol - I'm going to do a liitle browsing online today.

Damn , I forgot to wear one today.... Oops!

What do you think about Shimera bralettes? No real support but something to keep them in place. At least till they're settled. I'm not even 2 months out yet. Shimera stuff is the softest material. Bras, undies, camis... Ans they're on the Nordstrom sale...

• janiceg415
    janiceg415 Member Posts: 66

thanks for all your comments,  I have recently gained access to the picture forum but haven't made my way around it yet.  I hope there are some pics of uniMX reconstruction. 

Prior to my exchange surgery I did contact Whippetmom with my TE size and my body measurements.  She had recommended high profile, 600-700 cc.   

I was told by the PS that I shouldn't be reading things off the internet, so I left the decision up to him (as he is highly respected & recommended PS).  What I received was smooth Round Moderate Plus Profile Gel in 450 cc.    So that is where it is at, so I will wait for 3 months and go from there.    I think he just happens to like little boobies. 

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Love the picture of the Soma Selena Sensuous Lace bra! Carrol2- Thanks for posting the link!

• LaurenM730

Carrol, thats pretty.  I love the navy.  Thanks for letting me know.

I ordered the Shimera bralette from Nordstrom.  Got a large - hope it fits.  Thankfully they're good with returns.  Had to get myself something while ordering stuff for the kids...

• LaurenM730

Kayb - thanks.  I appreciate any advice.  I really have no clue about any of this because my PS said I dont have to wear a bra at all, even after the exchange.  So the super supportive one - like a sports bra?  There is no way i can wear my Chantalle 24/7. 

So these extra lbs I put on - just the implants, huh?  LOL

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Hello, ladies! Just popping in quickly to check in! I'm smack in the middle of a rigorous ten days of apprentice teaching Pilates (working on my equipment certification) , subbing barre classes for a vacationing instructor, plus keeping my family fed and watered :)......so no time for Internet fun! Anyway, just wanted to try to answer a couple questions. If I missed something, please ask again :)

Layla - nope, doesn't matter how long your TEs are in. mine were in Jan 21-Sept. 28; my expansion was one SLOW process. And your PS is smart to delay surgery;mine did the same when I just had a bad respiratory infection. Better safe than sorry when anesthesia is involved!

Nim - I think the Ta Ta Tamer bra would be great for weightlifting. It definitely holds the implants in place. I wear that one for running, high impact aerobics, and Pilates. Believe it or not, my PS said yoga & Pilates are harder on implant position than running, because of all the arm movements. I also love the Bendon Max Out, which is underwire, but cut like a regular bra. Nice padded straps, tho.

Personally, I wouldn't choose a "bralette" after exchange because of the lacks of support. I did wear those during my TEs, though, just to give some covage and not feel so naked :).

Implant size has little influence on the need to wear a bra after exchange- though admittedly larger sizes will demand more support. Most of us had expanders, so that skin has been stretched, which leaves it less sble to support the weight of implants;that is also why rippling occurs-darn it! I have 425cc's , and they are most definitely happiest in an underwire - unlined, too. The molded cups - though ideal for evening out sides, especially for uni's - aren't ideal for the for the first 3-4 months post exchange. The idea with the bra is that it helps mold the pocket by snugging right around the implant; padding of a molded cup gets in the way of that. Even the Chantelle C-Chic bras that I like (since they convert to racer back) cant snug right against the implants, and even now at almost 3 years post-exchange, I still feel best in my unlined underwire bras.

Take care of each other and stay cool, my friends! It's definitely summer her in TX-110 yesterday here!
  • janiceg415
    janiceg415 Member Posts: 66

val61

If it is not recommended to wear a molded underwire bras for the first 3-4 months what would you suggest for those of us who are uni-MX that don't have symmetry yet or is not rounded like the native side? 

• LaurenM730

I took your advice and just ordered a Wacoal Awareness bra from Nordstrom. They're very pretty with the flower pattern. I can always return it, but at least I'll have one dark and one light bra.

I wonder why some (my) PS says that I wouldn't have to wear one... It seems pretty important that I do. One benefit from all this is that my boobs wouldn't be saggy anymore. That's the last thing I want with these implants!

Thanks for your advice and explanation. It scared me a little but totally makes sense. No more bra less for me. Ok, only on special days!

• Carrol2

Ok this is a weird question that I thought of when you were talking aobut sports bras. I really don't seem to need one. I jsut wear a barely there bra for coverage so no one an see down my tank.

Do your boobs bounce when you work out? Mine don't move unless I move them with my hands. But even in zumba they stay put.

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161

Lauren,

Thanks for the info.  I was wondering how you could be quad D!  I am 400cc and a 32D so now I understand.

I have several of the Shimera bralettes and slept in them sometimes during the TE period, at least after the TEs had been once replaced and were then correctly positioned.  They are more supportive than they appear and while it is not enough support to prevent migrataion and ensure good position during the healing and capsule formation during the earlier part of healing, they will make you feel more contained and covered.

• LaurenM730

Kay, just curious, how do you know the pocket work was good? Did the new PS comment on it?

My PS does hundreds of recon a year. I think he said it was over 250. He was highly recommended by my BS who refers all his MX patients to him if they are going to do implants. So I know this is his specialty. Interesting how they are all so different with recommendations

Can wait to get my new bras!

Carrol, mine don't move at all, ever. I can move them, but it's not easy. Fingers crossed they stay that way!

• Estel

Carroll2 - I need a d cup for the width but not projection. There is, in most of my bras, room at the tip of the cup so I'm not getting the compression I need in a regular bra for work out needs. My implants don't jiggle either but they do kind of ache if they are not supported when running or jumping around. In the height of my pain issues I did wear my favorite Freya to work out in....I've found that it wears the bra out more quickly because it has to do more work. So....for me, the sports bras give me the side support I need, as well as the compression, and doesn't wear out my pretty bras as quickly.

P.S. my sports bras tend to be a bit tougher, tighter, bigger bands for most support, padded straps and just a bit more comfortable to work out in than my everyday bras.

• Lilah

I find it a mystery as to why there are so many different recommendations.  I DO think that you should follow your PS's instructions first and foremost.  But, with that said, if the PS says: "do what you want" or "no bra is necessary" (which isn't the same as DON'T wear a bra) I think that leaves you free to make your own choices.

My PS wanted me in wire free 24/7 (she said she doesn't like wired bras because she worries about the wire poking through and puncturing numb skin)... I said: "wirefree FOREVER????"  She said: "Not forever"  So when 8 months had passed I switched to wired bras because I prefer how they feel and look.  I also stopped wearing bras 24/7 after 3 months. 

I know Val's PS had her in wired bras from day one (and had her bring him the bra she was going to wear before she had the surgery! so he could approve). 

Janice -- Val DID say that she recommends 3-part unlined wired bras (as opposed to "molded" wired bras).  Is that what you're asking?  I wore unlined wire free bras for the first three months (for the reasons given above) then switched to 3-part wired bras.  I'm a uni but my implant is a good match size-wise with my native breast... so I don't need molded (and prefer not to wear them).  Does this answer your question? 

• fragrantroses
    fragrantroses Member Posts: 69

It was aweful.  I made an appointment for a bra fitting at a salon in town that advertises that they take insurance and they provide mastectomy products as well as full line of fashion bras.

It turns out the owner is older than dirt.  Their mastectomy fitter was wonderful and she brought me some beautiful bras to try...mostly goddess.  I had told the doctor I wanted to be a C cup when this was all done.  She fitted me with a F cup in one and a DDD in another.  

The owner barges in and tells me I can't leave with any bra that I don't pay for first.  I tried to explain that my insurance covers 100% for 4 bras and for the prothesis.  She argues with me and says that's they tell you but they tell me differently.  So she makes everybody stop working with me, tells them to stop wasting their time.  So my fitter calls my insurance company to verify all my coverage so the owner gets on the phone and ARGUES with them.  Basically my insurance company contracted with them to be a provider of mastectomy care products.  The insurance company pays a total toward the expense and when the store signed the contract, they were agreeing to accept the insurance payment as payment in full.  They were not permitted to charge me the difference between what Anthem pays and what they charge.  She is shaking her finger at me telling me "You are taking the food out of my mouth.  People like you want something for nothing."

Surprised

The insurance fellow hears that and tells her she is out of line and violating the contract she has with them.  She tells him he has no right to tell her how to run her shop.  Insurance companies were shysters.  Frown  He told her SHE entered into the contract with them....not the other way around.

And I had picked 3 of the prettiest bras, plus a underwire sports bra that looked like a football...I was calling it pigskin.  I was upset and left, shakiing and near tears from the way she treated me.  

I called Anthem back and asked them if I should just stop it and go somewhere else.  Of course they said that was my decision. But the store was dead in the wrong and if they continued to refuse to abide by the contract, Anthem would be pursuing them for breaking contract.  So I called the store and spoke to the wonderful woman I started with.  I was prepared to tell her to just cancel everything.  I knew my husband was going to hit the roof to hear how the owner spoke to me.  But the fitter immediately apologised for the owners rudeness, that she should have retired 20 years ago but has refused to take her hands off. But she (the fitter) was the acting manager and she was going to give me the pur fit forms for the insurance payment.  Though she was charging them as mastectomy bras, she said they had no pockets so they were technically fashion bras not mastectomy.  And she was right.  They weren't truly mastectomy bras in the classic sense.  So she offered a compromise.  If I was willing, whatever the insurance didn't cover, she would split the difference.  Because the insurance company was paying for $30 - $50 mastectomy bras, not the $80 - $100 fashion bra, the insurance wouldn't come close to the cost of these bras.  So she offered that she would deduct what anthem would pay, she would cut them as deep a discount as possible...25% or so, then split the difference with me.  So my portion would be between $20 - $25 for the goddess bras.  OR I could come in, get fitted for a selection of mastectomy bras and she would order those instead and absorb the cost.  I didn't want to go the mastectomy bra route, yk?  My implants aren't perfect and they don't really look like breasts yet.  But I want to feel as normal and pretty as possible.  So I agreed to pay the 20 - 25 providing that we could figure out a time I could come in to finish this up when the ole biddy wasn't there to shake her finger at me.  She laughed and told me that the biddy doesn't work evenings.

augh.  I loved that fitter and she was so good.  But I once this transaction is completed, I probably won't do business there again as long as the owner still comes in and insults people like that.  I look forward to my pretty bras...but she ruined the whole event for me.  I had planned to take photos and everything, but she got me shaking so bad I couldn't focus the camera.  It was a cross of anxiety, anger and humiliation. And I was right, when he met with me, he was ready to whip the car around and give her a piece of his mind.  But I assured him that she wasn't in the store anymore and also that the fitter/manager and I had come to an acceptable agreement.

But it should not have been that hard. 

• Carrol2

OMFG! That's awful. How insensitive that woman was. Where is the compassion for what we have gone through. You would think I woman who owns a store like this would understand. Clearly she is out of her mind. Just another example of how we have to be our own advocate. Glad you stuck to your guns. At least the manager tried to work it out for you. I bet she hates working for that witch.

• Lilah

Fragrant Roses I'm so sorry you had such a horrible time at that store.  The owner sounds crazy and, regardless, was unbelievably rude and uncaring.  You deserve better.  I agree you should find another source in the future.  Is there a Nordstrom's near you?  They work with insurance companies too.

• fragrantroses
    fragrantroses Member Posts: 69

Truthfully I had not heard of Nordstroms before reading it on these bra pages, so I don't believe there is a local store.  But now that I have these adjustable forms, I think I will stick to buying my bras elsewhere.  I found out that I look amazing in Goddess bras and there are plenty of outlets where even if they don't carry my F (for freak me out!) cup, I can order it online from their websites.

My husband DID hit the roof and I had to restrain him from driving back to chew her out.  Even though she was ugly to me, it didn't feel right to unleash his anger on an 80 year old woman.  I am filing a complaint with the insurance company.  She specifically told me that she NEVER accepts the insurance payments, that she requires payment for the full amount up front and "insurance clients" had hassle with their company themself.  Which is not what advertising "we accept all forms of insurance" means, as well as violating the agreement between their company and my insurance agreement.  

Supposedly she doesn't do any hands on with the business office side of it anymore.  I was told the "kids" not run the business office side.  Those "kids" need to know that momma is alienating women who come in seeking mastectomy and reconstruction products as well as running people out of the store!