Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Lauren - What brand bra did you get?

Note that in some brands a 32DDDD is a 32F or FF or G.

In Chantelle it is a 32G

http://www.herroom.com/chantelle-3281-rive-gauche-3-part-cup-bra.shtml

In Freya it is an F:

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa5721-arabella-underwire-plunge-bra.shtml

The only thing I've paid full price at Nordies besides bras is shoes. I love going to Nordstrom Rack. I've bought some fabulous pants there and sweaters too. I haven't checked out their sale yet...I don't have any money to buy anything and I don't want to tempt myself. ;)

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

I am wondering from what Val61 wrote, my PS says right now with TE no bra is necessary but after surg bra is necessary.  I am wearing bras now to give a normal shape as the TE is an odd squarish type shape and sits very high.

Should I enjoy not wearing a bra right now? I am not looking forward to wearing a snug bra, I hate sports bras, My Ps recommended I wear them during fills but I couldnt they were too uncomfortable.

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Layla, with TE I wore soft stretch camis with no built in shelf bra. Mostly Old Navy and Tahari. My PS said nothing was necessary, but the camis were comfortable. After exchange I wore surgical bra, then zip front sports bra, then wire free bra. I recently started wearing underwire bras & my exchange was 3/28. PSs seem to be all over the place on bra/no bra, wire/no wire. So I feel like as long as it fits me properly, ill be ok.

• Estel

Good, basic information on bras from Linda the bra lady in New York:

http://blog.lindasonline.com/2012/01/09/how-long-do-bras-really-last/

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Reporting on some bra purchases. For sports bras, the Moving Comfort Luna is great. I also got the Vero, which is less supportive than theI Luna but still comfortable. If you order directly from Moving Comfort, shipping is free over $50 and many sports bras are significantly marked down in certain colors. I didn't mind the Luna in lavender at only $31 and the Vero in surf blue at only $19.

I also love the Natori Feathers and Natori Sheer Jacquard. The Soma Vanishing Back is my least favorite - it just feels like a lot of bra for me. I still like VS Incredible and Body by Victoria, but after wearing the Natori bras, there is no comparison in comfort for me. I have my eye on several other Natoris.

I've also worn the Marena molded cup bra to sleep in for a few weeks now. This was recommended by Dawn-hope, TinaT and others - thank you! I was so uncomfortable sleeping and the Marena has made a huge difference for me.

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235
    shore1 - Sounds like you've done your research and found what works for you.  I love the Marena bra for sleeping.  The first bra that I got after fitting at Nordstrom was a Natori, which felt wonderful at first, but after a few hours the wire end dug into my sternum and I had to return it.  So....no Natoris for me :(  I can only wear underwires with very low or very high wire ends or it's painful.  Argh - rules out so many pretty ones!
  • Estel

shore1 - So glad the Marena bra works for you. :) Glad too that Natori works well for you. All of our bodies are unique and we have to find what works for us. So glad you've found what works for you. :D

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161

Tina, if you like high wires you might like the Fantasie Elodie.  It has very high wires but is still comfortable IF one can generally wear high wires.  Less high but higher than average is the Fantasie Florence which is probably my favorite for fit and shape. 

For low wire, I love the Chantelle C-Chic 3582, which is the 3-part contruction one.  While it is the IT bra for fitting at Nordstrom and said to determine true size, the Nordstrom fitter also said going up a band size and down a cup size makes them more wearable for certain chest shapes. It solves the problem of the wire digging in the sternum without sacrificing proper fit.  So while I was fitted into a 32D in that style, I wear a 34C with great support and comfort.  For some odd reason, this bra is particularly alluring in white, of all colors.  It is very hard to find, but is beauftiful in white!  Every other bra I have is a 32D.

• tinat
    MondaysChild - Thanks, I'll check these out!
  • MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161

Freshpair has the white in the link below.  It does not look boring to me on this site, but it also does not looks as crisp and detailed as it does in person. For some reason, the pattern just pops in white.  I have this bra in all four colors shown here: black, nude, pink and white.  Love, love.

http://www.freshpair.com/Chantelle-C-Chic-3-Part-Cup-Bra-3582.html

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

I thought i would let you ladies know that Soma Intimates is taking bra donations to help women who are victims of domestic violence and are sometimes in situations where they have to flee with nothing but the clothes on their backs. Many people donate clothes but not bras. Please stop in to your local Soma and donate your unwanted gently used bras.

I work in the Soma in Leawood Kansas in Town Center. Come see me there I would love to meet my fellow BCO sisters. ALl bra donations here are going to the Kansas City Safe House.

• tinat
    Carrol2 - That's a great project - thanks!
  • fragrantroses
    fragrantroses Member Posts: 69

Can you wear a push up with implants?  Or will that damage implants?  My PS hasn't talked about bras yet.  Right now, he's all about the sports bra.  I spoke with a bra fitter and she said she hasn't met a PS yet who had any CLUE about bra's.  They seem to think that you walk into a store and walk out with a bra.  Unless your PS is a woman anyway.  She said they don't have a clue how many bra's you have to try on, or how one fits and this same style by another company won't.  And they want to wait until they are ready to talk about it, not realizing that the women know it will be weeks before we find the "right" bra.  ugh. 

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    fragrantroses i wear the ravishing plunge push up by SOma and I love it. My PS told to wear underwire he did not say i could not wear a push up. I love the shape it gives me.
  • Estel

fragrantroses- like Carroll I like the shape I get with a push-up bra. I would wait, though for at least 3-6 months while the implant is settling in the pocket. You don't want, during that healing time, anything pushing and/or impinging on the implant while you are healing.

Carroll2 - thank you for sharing about the bra donation! Great cause.

• lisa2012
    lisa2012 Member Posts: 288

I'm still waiting for exchange-aug 7

But my sister has the same PS and had hers in May. He says soft bras, no underwire. What do your docs say?

• janiceg415
    janiceg415 Member Posts: 66

lisa2012

I had my exchange surgery on 7/5 and post-op ckup just last Thursday.  Everything is healing nicely and I asked him about bras, he told me I could wear anything I wanted.  I usually wear a soft molded cup bra with underwire, it gives me a little more fulness which I really need especially now that the implant side  is slightly smaller than the natural breast. 

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291

thats a GREAT cause Carrol. I wish I didn't burn my two soma bras prior to my mastectomy. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 26

I am just amazed about all the bra confusion.  I think comfort is everything.  As with shoes, if your feet hurt like hell and you're suffering in them then by all means toss them.  I for one wouldn't go near underwire bras.  I'd be scared to have something that sharp pressing against my breasts (real or implant).  These days there are ones that support without the use of wire.  I had my exchange July 13 and haven't worn a bra to sleep or when I'm at home.  When I go out, I wear one with soft cups.  What a joy it is to finally look normal in clothes and not lopsided.

• Estel
    kayb - Yes, yes they are! Kiss
  • [Deleted User]

My husband is a chiropractor and agrees with the following from the American Naturopath Medical Association: 

"What's Wrong With Underwire Bras?

Simply put, the UnderWires that make these bras so supportive
    and comfortable are the very things that create a real and insidious
    problem for women. All UnderWires are made of a plastic coated metal. It is this
    metal that causes problems.

How Can That Be?

In his article: Chinese Lessons For Modern
    Chiropractors
    , Dr. George Goodheart - the father of Applied Kinesiology -
    spoke to his discovery called the "Antenna Effect." He found that it is possible
    to tape a small metal ball onto an AcuPoint (acupuncture point), and accomplish
    longer-term stimulation to that point. Those little bee-bees are now called
    AcuAids and are used by thousands of doctors daily. This was an important
    discovery.

Like those tiny bee-bees, ANY metal that is
    constantly on a given point on the human body will cause ongoing stimulation and
    MAY cause problems. Critical factors are WHERE the point is, and WHAT that point
    ties to in terms of the human psychophysiology.

This is the problem: The UnderWires in the UnderWire Bra fall
    directly onto two very important NeuroLymphatic Reflexes (AKA Chapman's
    Reflexes). The one under the right breast goes to the Liver and Gall Bladder.
    The one under the left breast goes to the Stomach.

How Does That Work?

These reflexes, like all AcuPoints,
    follow the Law of Stimulation. In the beginning of putting energy into a point,
    it is stimulated, often causing an increase in associated function. Later on,
    this continued stimulation causes sedation of that point and a subsequent
    decrease in its associated function. It's a mechanical thing. If a woman keeps
    the metal UnderWires on top of those reflex points, over time that
    WILL mess up the functioning of the associated circuits: Liver,
    Gall Bladder, and Stomach - along with the specific muscles associated with
    those circuits, which will in turn adversely effect structural biomechanics.
    While there IS the matter of biochemical individuality, all women who
    wear UnderWires will be affected to some extent. Bottom Line: It will
    likely make the wearer sick . . . slowly and quietly."

For me, I just don't want to risk any possible problems after enduring the complications of reconstruction.  It just doesn't make sense.

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Lisa96 -- underwire or not -- those pressure points are affected by bras. 

• Lilah

I say: whatever floats your boat (and which follows your doctor's guidelines).

• [Deleted User]

Any woman foolish enough to wear an underwire has no one but herself to blame when problems arise.  Unless you're a Kardashian or a street walker (prostitute) you don't need those stupid push-ups.  Instead, get physical and do real push ups.

• kylin8
    kylin8 Member Posts: 1

Val, this is such a great post! I have learned a lot.

Thanks for all of your help!

• tinat
    lisa96 - Yikes!
  • Lilah

Push up bras and underwire bras are not the same thing.  I wear underwire but not push ups. 

Live and let live and let's not call people names, eh? 

• [Deleted User]

In no way did I call anyone that, so let's get real.  Noticed that no one cared about my Kardashian reference.  Now, that's an insult!  Sense of humor folks.  You just gotta have one.  Just saw my bc nurse this morning and told her about all the hubbub on bras.  It just amazes me!  We have non-medical people here advising us about which implants to choose, bras to wear, etc. etc.  TMI for me.  To be quite honest, I'm just not one to take advice.  I just like to do it my way, like Frank Sinatra or perhaps my Doc.

• Estel

We all have to live with the choices we make. 

To criticize and condemn others on their individual choice ...  to do that here on this board ...we've been through too much to do that. 

We all make the best choices for US based on our bodies, our research, our docs ... let it go you all .... let it go.