Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

Lauren, I am getting 600cc high profiles. Hope they dont look flat but anything should be bigger than the little tear drop ones I had which I guess were a small B and I am too big with the TE for most of my bras now even tho I still wear them. got my sports bra with the zipper ready,my cami with drain pockets just in case and a zip up sleeveless thing that looks like a hoodie before the factory gets the sleeves sewn in. Planning to take those to hosp to get home in and the sports bra will be waiting but dunno what happens down the road like did you say you were 3 yrs out?

fragrantrose,that was awful how dare they treat you like that! I know my endodontist said they would work with me and I explained the cancer issue and thats why I was $100 short til payday and the office lady told me I could write a postdated check and they would hold it a month, They cashed it the day I walked outta the office! Then today at the MO,they called everywhere and nobody can find one mammogram that I had! WTH ppl?!!

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161

DLL66, if you did not have IMF incisions, you should be fine to wear underwire bras right away.  As long as they are not causing discomfort, as your surgeon also said, go ahead and wear them.  If they are as comfortable as a surgical bra, you should be very fine.  Just watch fluid retention as you heal.  It can get trapped in the snugness of the bra.

• LaurenM730
    LaurenM730 Member Posts: 100

Shore - I'm measuring a 32 G. Got a large in the bralette, should have got an XL. Still super comfy. My PS never said anything about wire or no, he said I don't have to wear a bra. Not now, not ever. He said whatever I want, whenever I want... So that shy miso confused here sometimes.

Layla - I have 650s high profile. With no clothes they look a little flat, in clothes they look great. Really great. I'm happy with them, bra or not. I'm 2 months out from exchange, so I'm wondering too. How they will change. PS says no, forums here say yes. More confusion for me...

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448

Thanks, MondaysChild. I have internal sutures in the IMF but the external sutures are up alot higher in my previous BMX incision line. I do check often to make sure there is no weird swelling.

• dipad
    dipad Member Posts: 135

I've been wearing the surgical bra that the ps gave me after exchange for the past three weeks. I'm going to Nortrands today to get fitted for a support bra. My ps says no underwire. The lady on the phone said they only have two styles that are not underwire for post mastectomy.  I figure for now I'll get fitted and buy one. I live on Long Island, does anyone know of a good place to go? Can we wear any brand bra as long as its supportive?

• LaurenM730

Dipad - I live on LI too. Try Great Shapes. There are a bunch. Nordstrom was very helpful though. Good luck and let me know if you find somewhere better. I need somewhere with a big selection.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Lauren I am curious you wear a 32 G and have 650 high profiles.  How tall are you and what is your weight if you don't mind me asking.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

Ok day two testing the new soma sesuous sides bra. I loosened the straps as far as they go way way better. I really like the shape it give me but I am spoiled by the vanishing back bra being so comfy I can't change.

• LaurenM730

I have access to the picture forum, but haven't had time to look. I definitely will make the time now. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm 5'3" and about 145. Does that size sound wrong? I definitely thought it was, but it fits pretty good...

Carrol - IM so disappointed that the vanishing back doesn't come in my size. You make me envious!!!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    Lauren - I don't think it sounds wrong.  Most of us were wearing the wrong size before BC ... too big in the band and too small in the cup so we kind of freak out when we see sizes bigger than a D cup ... but I think that sounds about right for you.  I'm a 30D with 325cc implants 5'5" 110#.
  • Sherryc

thanks Lauren I am also 5'3" and weight 115lbs.  My TE's are at 400cc and my PS is going to use 450cc smooth, round HP at exchange on the 21st.  I am currently wearing a 32C with the TE's but not getting very good coverage, should probably be wearing a D cup but did not want to spend any more money on bras. I can't wait to have my exchange and then get fitted for a bra.  I might even wear a 30 band not sure.  I know for sure a 34 band is way too large.  Currently I look good in my clothes but I look huge in my bathing suite and naked. I probably am not huge but I was super flat before so comparatively I look huge.

• Carrol2

so odd how you really can't tell what bra size a person will be. I am 5'6" I have a 32in rib cage and I weigh 160lbs and I am fitting a 36D with 600cc HP implants. There a lot of other factors than these that contribute.

• Estel

kayb - For comparison I wear a small in VS and I've found the Freya extra small to be like the VS small.  A small in Freya is a little big on me.  Not too big but bigger than a VS small, if that helps at all.

Edited to add:  I have both Freya small and extra small knickers. The extra small fits but I don't like tight fitting underwear on bottom so I prefer the small even though they are a wee bit big. 

• Sherryc

Carol my rib cage is 28 1/2

• Estel
    Sherryc - I have the same ribcage circumference.  I wear a 30 band.   Usually, you don't want a wear a band that is bigger than 2inches from your ribcage circumference.  From what I've seen on here. the exception is women who are tall or who have broad shoulders ... they often need a bigger band than just two inches of their ribcage circumference.
  • Carrol2

at Soma the formula for band size  is 4 inches bigger than your rib cage if it's an even number and 5 inches bigger if its an odd number. You will get this number if you measure above the bust under the arms. Seems to work for me when I fit people there. I could never wear a bra only 2 inches bigger than my rib cage.

• Estel

The way we fit bras is different in the U.S. than in other parts of the world...like UK and other European countries. They use the 2 inch rule in Europe.

What other garments that we wear do we want four inches bigger than our size? Pre BC I could get buy with a 32 but post I can't because it aches if I don't have tight side support. We're all different, our bodies and needs so we have to figure out what works for us. When I wear a 32 band I'm already on the last hook...not a wise investment when the bra begins to stretch out....I've got nowhere to go. We have to do what works for us.

• Estel

Quick search found an interesting link ... interesting read.  

"Some band measurement methods require a woman to measure her torso immediately under her breasts and add either 4 inches (10 cm) or 5 inches (13 cm) to the measurement to obtain an even band size offered by manufacturers. These methods are suitable for women who wear an A, B, C, or D cup bra. Other current band measurement methods do not require adding to the measurement: the band size is simply the measured torso circumference in inches or (if that measurement is odd) 1 inch (2.5 cm) larger."

Here's the whole link.  Again ... as with our PS's recommendations ... there is no right or wrong here ... differing theories ... figure out what works for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassiere_measurement 

• Carrol2

dawn absolutley there is a european shop across the street from the soma i work at and the customers come to us because they feel like the european bras fit too tight. Also if your a 40 usually you don't have to add anything to get the band size. I think mostly it's common sense. It shouldn't rub or gap. If it feels tight in the fitting room in 3 hours you'll be ripping it off. The back should line up with the fold of the breast if it's too high then it's prob too small. The front should lay flat against the sternum. There should not be any gaps or ripples in the cups. The breasts should not bulge out in the front (the 4 boob look) the cups should lay flat. The wire should not poke into your side, armpit or breast. I mean it's common sence you jsut ahve to take a few minutes and really look at it from all angles. Then put a clingy top on over it to make sure nothing shows through and that you get the shape you like.

• LaurenM730

My Wacoal awareness came today. Very disappointed that it doesn't fit well. The whole thing just feels too tight. The band, the straps... I'm temped to go somewhere else and get refitted, again. I just hate trying things on... I don't have the patience for it. Especially this..

Question - is back fat supposed to squeeze out or is the bra supposed to be loose enough so it's not so obvious? At Nordstrom she told me its ok if its out because the bra will stretch... With the Wacoal there's way too much back fat. Yuck!

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Lauren, I like the wacoal awareness - its comfortable, but it comes up too high & can't be worn with even semi-low tops. Ive been using it to sleep in. I wish I could find a VS I really like because they're pretty, but so far I don't love any of them.

• Carrol2

Lauren if the bra is so tight that you are spilling out over the sides and the back I would try a looser band.

• LaurenM730

I'm going to try to exchange it for a larger band. I'll go for a 34 this time. So that means I need to change the cup size, right? Do I go up or down?

I don't know why, it seemed so much easier before finding the right bra...

• MondaysChild

Up in the band, down in the cup.

• MondaysChild

Yes, as kayb points out, do remember that sizing can vary, even within the same brand, but especially between brands.  If she is exchanging the same brabrand and style, then up one band and down one cup should be predicable.   Nothing else is though.

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Like Carrol2, I also work for SOMA and sometimes I have to try on several sizes for ladies as the cut of the bra, wether it is lined or unlined, the breast shape and the person's physical build all play into the correct size and fit. Even within the same company. I know I wear a D in contoured or lined cups and DD in unlined as don't have enough projection to fill out contoured cups in DD. I have the vanishing back which Carrol likes and I find it my most uncomfortable out of my many many bras so each person needs to try various styles and sizes to see what suits them and abide by Carrol,s advice, above, on good bra fit.

Just my 2cents worth!

• DLL66

I realize that bra purists may disagree, but a bra that is really working for me right now is a VS bra: Body by Victoria multiway. 

Brief background: I have bilateral lat flaps. Lost 2 silicone implants due to healing issues on my rads side; had an adjustable saline implant that we used as a TE put in in Feb '12. If it matched the silicone well enough, we would have left it in as a permanent implant. That was not the case, so just had the adjustable saline switched out for another silicone implant this past Tuesday. PS internally stitched me a new IMF & said to start wearing underwire as soon as I could tolerate it. External stitches are all up higher in my original BMX scar.

The BBV Multiway has really high wires that are encapsulating the implants. It also has extra criss-crossed wide elastic bands in the side panels, which keep the bra tight against my side & flatten out where my lat muscle really wants to have a fold. (Only my rads side wants to have a fold.)

I am really surprised at how well this bra is helping, right now anyway. I am sure I will have to do some further experimenting as the new implant settles, drops & fluffs.  

• MondaysChild

DLL, that specific VS bra has been favorably reviewed over on the other site. I need to go back over there and take a look at it again. I am interested in the tight side support on the sides which I need for comfort.

If you like and need high wires, check out the Fantasie brand, especially Elodie.  It has very high wires. And Herroom.com shows measurements of all bras, including how high the sides are and how tall the center gore is.  Very useful information.

More than anything, it is great you have a bra that works for you so soon after exchange to help you heal in proper place.

• DLL66

Thanks, kayb & MondaysChild. When I am ready to bra-shop I will check those out.

Here's a pic of the elastic on the inside of the band that is doing good things for me & one of the front because it is cute. Sorry it is upside down. (Hmmm...now it is right side up.)

BBVband 

BBVfront 

• MondaysChild

Oh, I get it now.  The sides are super supportive because it is designed to be worn strapless, also. I can see how that would be a great support feature for a lat flap patient.

I cannot wear the molded cups because they do not support the implants will enough for me.  I wear unlined, three part cup bras because they stablize the implants for me.  I need them to not move at all and only an unlined bra with side support in the cup will do that for me.  I do have a couple of molded for when nothing else will do because of show-through, but do not wear them often because of lack of support which causes discomfort.

Now that you are at this stage, have fun running through the hundred plus pages on Lilah's Post Your Bras thread on the picture forum.