Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

I think we should move on and not fault others for disagreeing with us.  Debate is healthy, but not namecalling of any kind.  This thread is titled "great debate" -- and Lisa you've made your point.  Anyone who wants to read this entire thread will see posts for both wired and wire free as well as advice on both kinds of bras.  Most of us here are just looking for something comfortable and, quite honestly, that varies for each individual.  I would not presume to tell anyone what they should wear but I can absolutely recommend bras I've worn (wired or not) that have been comfortable for me.  Some PS's recommend ONLY wirefree forever, some recommend wirefree at first, others are just as stalwart about patients using wired; most here will ALWAYS recommend following a doctor's advice.

And the beauty part is: we are all, thank god, free to make our own choices.

SO, moving on...

Who has found a nice, comfy bra they would like to share?  I haven't been bra shopping enough lately and am looking for ideas.   I have plenty of wire free.  So I'm looking for underwire recommendations.

Dawne-hope -- are there any new Freya's in the pipeline that you know of?  I've been so busy with work I've not had time to look.

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Good evening, ladies! Yes, it's MOI.......who has quite obviously been MIA for awhile!! Somehow my email notifications for this thread had been disabled - perhaps by an iPad gremlin? Regardless, I am really still here and happy to be so! Thanks, Dawne-Hope, who (as always) tends to this thread with loving attention! I've received some great questions via PM from folks lately, so that's always a good way to reach me quickly if you have a question :)

And yes, I titled this thread "The Great Post-Exchange Debate" for a reason. We are individuals -no one way is right for us all. Same with PS's - different techniques and procedures. What brings us together her on BCO is the comraderie that (sadly) comes from sharing BC. Most of us are not medical professionals, and we readily state that from the start. We merely share our personal experiences, good and bad - plus often a great deal of reading and research with the hope of helping fellow "sisters" AND ourselves make our BC journeys just a little bit easier.

Now......shall I confess that just last night i ordered something like FOUR new bras? I'll let you know how they work out! (and btw......one of my favorites is the C-chic by Chantelle -wearing it now, as a matter of fact-the convertible one - love it!

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

Just for the record I see at least one woman with breast reconstruction at Soma a day and everyone one of them has gotten differnt advice on bras from their doctors. Every doctor is different and every pateint's needs are different.

Bottom line read what you will about other women's experiences, tests and studies, then always always consult your own doctor to find out what is best for you.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their opinions on both sides, it is very helpful to me as a patient as well as a bra sales associate.

• Lilah

Glad you're back Val!  I think all the notifications on this site are wonky.  I have my notifications set to email me when I get a PM... but I haven't gotten an email notification of a PM since, I think, last summer!

If anyone has any thoughts on how to fix that -- PM me ;)  Seriously, I just check in a lot. 

• val61

I should have done exactly that, Lilah - check the site more often - but for some reason I trusted technology.......lol.... I reset them so we shall see.....with my crazy life right now you probably won't hear much from me anyway :)

Oh..... Did I mention I also bought two swimsuits along with my bras? Believe it or not, bras and swimsuits DO stretch and wear out, so a girl's gotta keep THE girls supported, right?

• Tatina123
    Tatina123 Member Posts: 312

So far, the best bra I found for these new set of breasts is Natalie made by Soma. It's a contour bra and is not underwire.  When I slipped into it for the very first time I knew it was the one!

As for Lisa96 and those who were offended with her push-up bra "prostitute" reference, it really came as no surprise to me.  She shared her point of views in the TE Trouble forum earlier in the month that offended a few people who spoke up in defense.

This is just Lisa96.....she tosses out a curve ball and sometimes we gals hit back with a strong response.  It does make for lively discussion when you least expect it.

Take care and don't forget to give Soma a try!

T

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Val61 - Good to see you here! Kiss Do give us a report on your four new ones!  Cool

Lilah - I haven't tried any new Freya's recently but I have bought a couple of Fauve (sister brand to Freya and Fantasie) on clearance.   I also bought an Empriente lace bra on clearance that is AmAzing!  Really.  So ... I've been broadening out my horizons a bit.  Wink  I do recommend Fauve if you ever see you one like.  They remind me more of Fantasie than the Freya but they are very, very nice.

• Estel

kayb - I cannot wear the Fantasie with the high mid-wires.  So .... I look for Fantasie and Fauve that look like the Freya's that I have that fit me well.  I go by how they look.  A lot of the Fauve bras remind me and look the Fantaise Elodie ... which as mentioned above has a very high medial wire.  The Fauve I ordered looked like the Freya's that fit me well.  It is hard, though, because when they are on clearance you cannot return them.  So far, I've been fortunate.  I received a Fauve today that the reviews said the band runs big.  And it does.  And that's OK because I wanted one a little bigger for the summer.  So, the reviews will tell you what you need to know.  And herroom.com gives the best tips ... for the "Faye" it says on their website that it is based on the "Pollyanna."  I have yet to find a bra that fits like the Sophia.  Freya has a facebook page and I've asked questions on there and they have been helpful.  You could go and ask which bras are like Sophia and see what they say.

Generally, yes, the sizes do run the same.  But do check the reviews because like the Fauve I ordered that said the band ran big ... that may have been why I got such a good deal on it.  Wink 

• Estel

kayb - do you live near somewhere where you can just try a bunch on? I spent a couple of hours once at Nordies just trying on bras and that helped more more than anything I've ever done to help figure out what works for me. There is a mastectomy store that carries Freya and Fantasie and I've done the same there. It is so helpful to be able to try them on first. :/

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

So glad we are back to talking about bras! I finally got to Nordstrom for a fitting and was surprised that the size recommended was much different (and much more comfortable) than had been recommended by the fitters at the hospital gift shop cancer botique. The hospital fitter recommended 36C but they didn't have any underwires. The expert at Nordstrom put me right into a Chantelle C Chic underwire in a 34 DDD! I bought two styles (one is newer lower cut with a little rhinestone decoration!). For the regular C Chic, I only tried on the black one and bought one in nude too (didn't try that one on in the store). Yesterday, when I wore that one, it seemed to push the wires into my sternum after awhile while the black one hadn't seemed to do that. I'm going to adjust the straps to match where the bra fitter put the black one in the same style and see if it helps. I'm delighted to back into pretty bras!

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291

I went into my little boutique bra shop yesterday to see what size my new implants are. At 475 cc, round, HP I was surprised that my right fit a B but my left didn't. I tried on several 34B to make certain it wasn't the bra that was defective. The sales women always looks nervous when she see's me, especially when she asks "what size?" The last time she saw me I looked closer to a full D on my right TE. Needless to say, I was disappointed by my cup size. Luckily I had my first post op exchange with my PS before and we both decided I could/should go bigger. I see her in 3 weeks to see if my revisions held on the right (lots of suturing due to pocket being opened too deep) and to see what I look like when my swelling is gone/subsided.  In pictures I look so much larger (or so I and my husband think).

Has anyone here had two different sized implants? at my final fill I was 430 on my left and 370 on my right but still my right projected and looked so much larger.

I've posted my mastectomy to exchange pictures on my latest post if anyone wants to see (please).

http://greenmonkeytales.blogspot.com/2012/07/monkey-me.html

Warning, I've got some ranting going on here due to the mistakes made by my first PS but my new PS is marvelous!  

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

GM - Due to the many issues with necrosis/scarring/healing I was filled to 575cc on the left and 650cc on the right.  I was symmetrical (or as much as you can be with TE) and ended up with 600cc implant on the left and a 650cc on the right, again with symmetry.  Both are Mentor HP smooth round silicone. I looked at your result and it is really great!

On the bra front I just purchased a Spanx bra

http://www.barenecessities.com/spanx-bra-llelujah-luxe-lace-underwire-bra-1481_product.htm?pf_id=SPANX1481&search=

which is pretty comfortable - especially the wide straps and stretchy back.  I have narrow shoulders and like the front closure because the straps don't fall off.  The one I purchased is a 34C, but in other underwire I have purchased a D to get one that allows the underwire to go around the implant instead of on top of it.  My PS is one of those who does not like underwire (ever) and I usually wear a wireless bra.

• Lilah

Kayb -- Wacoal Embrace?  I will have to check that out!  I love Wacoals.  I actually bought, in the spring, a fabulous Calvin Klein t-shirt bra that I practically live in (already on the second notch of hooks)... will have to go back and find the info (sorry).  I got it at Bloomingdales.  Thanks for the Embrace tip!  Re: finding Freya's... they are difficult to find in the US in stores but there is such a huge and gorgeous selection it's worth figuring out what size works best for you and then buying on line when you see sales (as Dawne-hope mentioned she has done).  Check out www.figleaves.com (a UK site that carries a wide selection and has a lot of sales) or if you want to order within the US try www.herroom.com -- they have an excellent return policy but MAKE SURE you're not buying one that is a final sale/no return... it's worth buying ONE Freya at full price just to get the size right... at full price -- and for SOME sale prices -- you can return it pretty easily... if you aren't sure buy two and return one).  One of my favorites is the Eleanor... which comes in a lot of colors... and Arabella for just fun dress up.

Dawne-hope - I haven't tried Fauve.  I did buy a Fantasie and they run MUCH bigger than the Freya's... at least the one I got anyway.  I got the same size I had been buying in the Freyas and it really was one size bigger.  Weird huh?  So I'll be interested to hear your reply re: sizing of Fauves (did I miss it?  I'm racing a little atm).

Val -- I've reset mine a few times and it never seems to work. Let me know if you have better luck!

Tatina -- I'm not surprised to hear she kamikazed a few other threads.  Clearly she is here on BCO solely to appear as she did, be a spoiler, and go.  This I got from her comment about not being interested in the opinions of people on this site (and her behavior in general).  To each his own.  It certainly did stir things up slightly and make us all focus on what's important: finding the right bra :)

• Estel

kayb - I'm not sure if this is the Calvin that Lilah has but I have this one and it is great!

http://www.herroom.com/calvin-klein-f2892-seductive-comfort-customized-lift-bra.shtml

• Estel

Golden01 - so glad you had a good fitting and you found something that works for you!

• Estel

Golden01 - so glad you had a good fitting and you found something that works for you!

• Estel

Double post...sorry. S. L. O. W internet today.

Lilah - I wish I could provide links to the bras but they are gone now. :/ Figleaves is one of my favorite sites as is Lembrassa.com because starting out the prices are cheaper than other sites. Periodically I will check the clearance and find some amazing deals. That Empriente bra was a gold mine. You'll never know what you'll find when you check out the clearance. One of the Fauve bras, it said in the reviews the band ran big which is what I wanted...something a little looser for summer. I found the other Fauve ran true to size. Generally, I've found the Fantasie cup sizes to be a little bigger but that is all and it may just be me. :/

kayb - if I ever go to the UK, I MUST go to a Freya store. I think I would faint. ;) lol.

• Lilah

It's a Calvin Klein Seductive Comfort F3408 and it IS seductively comfy!  It's also pretty.  Actually, the one Dawne-Hope posted is similar (but mine doesn't have the scallops)!  The hook and eye area in the back is padded (at the clasp area) so it never digs in at that spot.  The cups are a little bit shiny and the middle area (what is the word for that?) between the cups is sheer with a touch of lace along the bottom -- as are the side panels.

Here's a link to a photo -- though this girl looks like an A cup and I'm a D!  So imagine more contour and a little cleavage hehe.

Calvin Klein Underwear Underwire Bra - Seductive Comfort with Lace #F3408

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/calvin-klein-underwear-underwire-bra-seductive-comfort-with-lace-f3408?ID=589012&PartnerID=MERCENT&cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Pronto-_-n-_-n&mr:referralID=366344d3-d60d-11e1-9e8b-001b2166c62d

• Estel

Lilah - Pretty! Whippetmom let us know a couple of weeks ago that Nordstrom was having a sale on some of our favorite bras and I just paroused their site and noticed more than a few pretty Wacoals on sale. Go get 'em! :)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/sale-womens-underwear?origin=leftnav

• Lilah

Thanks Dawne!  Great items there.  The Embrace is lovely (I think kay mentioned it) but it's moulded cups...which I am not a fan of... but I see a gorgeous purple bra...hmmm...

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

Wow the acupressure info is very interesting, I have been wearing underwire,soft molded for yrs but with the TE dont really need a bra but will be required to do sports bra after my implants.

I had read an article that the underwires pick up radio frequency waves and that electro magnetic field issue was harmful to the body and could cause cancer or illness. Apparently much like the suggestion of impairment from the acupressure. Dunno what I will do after I am released from sports bra hell. Guess its bra shopping with the tips I picked up here from you ladies. Thank you in advance,hope theres something out there for my new foobs when I finally get them on Aug 30th,long awaited since surg in Feb and a cancelled surg on Aug 2nd.

• Lilah

Kayb -- thanks!

Layla -- I wore wirefree for 8 months post-exchange (and sports bras and marena bras, which are wire free) before switching back to underwire (which I've worn all my life); the wirefree put just as much pressure on those chakras as a wired bra, but my shape was not as good... so I'm not sure I believe the "accupressure" theory.  I think you have to go by how YOU feel.  And you have to be properly fitted.  I think most women do not wear the right size and the issues they suffer are due to poor sizing more than anything else.

With that said, if wire free is more comfortable for you or if you are more comfortable without wires for whatever reason, you should absolutely get a good fitting for a wire free bra!

I guess what I'm saying is: be properlyfitted ladies no matter what type of bra you choose! And remember that sizing can vary not only from brand to brand but from bra to bra.

• LaurenM730
    LaurenM730 Member Posts: 100

I've been gone for a week and missed all the drama.  I wish I saw the offending post - I don't get offended easily at all, but am surprised about some things i see on these boards.

Question about sizing and underwire and no wire - is there a size that no wire is unavailable?  When I went to Nordstrom, she told me at my size they dont make wire free...  I HATE underwire, and i really hate bras.  I want as much comfort as possible.  I measured a 32G (beyone shocked) - do you think I can find a no wire bra?

To be perfectly honest, I'm not even wearing one now!  I bought it for when I wear white shirts so my scars dont show.  I feel completely inappropriate not wearing a bra to work but I just dont want to deal with it.  Any comfortable recommendations are appreciated.  Thanks!

• Lilah

LOL Lauren -- it was more rabble rousing (and inappropriate for that reason) than anything else -- you didn't miss much. 

Honestly I only wear a bra when I have to :)  If I'm at home alone (and when I sleep) I don't bother, most of the time (I know: sacrilege!  What can I say? I'm a uni with a gummy that is NOT going anywhere).  I don't like any bras 24/7, though when I DO wear them -- and I need to when I'm out and about -- I do enjoy wearing bras that make me feel pretty (and that are comfy and give good support at the same time).

Edited to add: Sorry I meant to respond to your question about bras in your size (and now I see that Dawne has thoughtfully provided MUCH info)!  The short answer is you absolutely should be able to find wire free in your size.  The Wacoal Awareness... which comes in both a wired and wire free style... is one of the most popular among the ladies here. And Wacoal is well known for making good, structured and supportive bras in the larger cup sizes.  Good luck with your search!

• Estel

Lauren - Maybe some of the zip up the front sports bras would work for you?  a 32G is an equivalent in 32ddd/dddd or even ddddd in some brands.  

Did a quick search on www.herroom.com and came up with a few.  Do the search yourself and see if there are any that interest you.

http://www.herroom.com/natori-139056-cool-full-fit-soft-cup-bra.shtml

http://www.herroom.com/le-mystere-9265-lace-tisha-wireless-contour-bra.shtml

http://www.herroom.com/aviana-2353-floral-soft-cup-bra.shtml 

http://www.herroom.com/femi-f4201-marylin-soft-3-part-cup-bra.shtml

http://www.herroom.com/royce-821-charlotte-comfort-bra.shtml 

http://www.herroom.com/anita-5521-active-microfiber-molded-sports-bra.shtml 

Here is the link to do the search yourself:

http://www.herroom.com

Click on your size (32G) and then on the style, scroll down 'til you find "soft-cup wireless" and and then click "Find."  It will provide 2 pages of bras that fit that criteron

• val61

Hey, Lauren! Dawne Hope said exactly what I would have- check out herroom.com. They are excellent on service, descriptions, and selection. There will be less options wirefee in that size since underwires offer optimal support, but i know there are some out there! Check out Panache and Anita brands-great fit for fuller cups.

Now, I totally get that you hate bras, but you may find they become your friends in the long run :). I'm guessing your implants are sizable :) so that means significant stress on the expanded skin over time which could lead to ripples. Also, since you're still fairly fresh from exchange, you also want the pockets to heal in the correct place, and a bra helps with that. Just some things to ponder......from the bra queen:).

Do check out the Nordie's sale-some good deals! Sure wish Wacoal made 30 bands- the ones y'all have mentioned sound great! I'm hoping my new bras and Freya swimsuits come tomorrow! Report to come.......

• lisagwa
    lisagwa Member Posts: 39

I tried the bras at Nordstrom and purchased and returned one. It was a great bra except that it was underwire and my PS really didn't want me to wear underwire. Then I purchased a Wacoal sports bra at Macys and returned it because it wasnt as comfortable as when I tried it on in the store. My final decision was to wear "barely there" sports type bra when sleeping and wear my own bra (pre bc) during the day (I simply took out the underwire). I will soon be coming up on my 6 wk since exchange and then hopefully, providing all went well, I can wear or not wear anything.

• LaurenM730
    LaurenM730 Member Posts: 100

I will definitely check out Herroom today. I was able to give a quick glance last night, and I can't believe all the sizes they carry. Thanks, ladies, for the heads up on that site!

Vall, thanks for your feedback on wearing vs. not wearing. I don't want to ripple, pucker, or anything ugly to my new boobies.

I'm going to check the site as soon as. I get to work this morning. I'll let you know how I make out!

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

I just want to give everyone a laugh that will have everyone questioning my sanity. Most of you know that I work for SOMA and have lots of pretty bras and wear one 24/7. On Fri. 13 I fell and fractured my elbow so DH has had to put on and take off the bras. Yesterday I finally had the surgery to fix the elbow and somehow had an idea that putting on a bra would be difficult so I took the ugly velcroed surgical bra with me to hospital. It really helped that DH and recovery nurse (same one  I had for most of my breast surgeries and DH had for his) could get the bra on without disturbing the surgery arm due to the velco adjustable and removable straps. Blouse was different matter but resolved it as well.

Moral of story is sometimes we never get rid of the need for the ugly ones though I don't reccomend the reason. Arm is totally numb and I call it my artificial dead Halloween arm - LOL! It will get better.

• Lilah

I'll add that I DID most definitely wear a bra 24/7 for three months after exchange (OK 23/7 for time to shower, etc), precisely for the reason that Val gave: to let the pocket heal properly.  Once my PS gave the OK, I did stop sleeping in my bra.  I know a lot of you feel better doing that and GO YOU... just not for me.

I also did remove wires from old bras during that three months (as well as found a few very cute ones in my size made by Wacoal, Chantelle and Anita -- all reliable makers of wire free); once I reached the 8 month mark I felt I was safe to resume wearing wires.  Except for the better support from the wires (which among other things means a better look overall) I have found that a good fitting wirefree and a good fitting wired bra hit all the same pressure points, for what its worth.  I've heard about the "wires near body may cause cancer" tales... but I asked my doctor about it and she said they are unfounded.  The only reason SHE prefers wire free at first is the risk of a wire poking through the bra and puncturing the skin/implant (especially post-surgery, when you are VERY numb and not likely to feel it).  Personally I think that's a long shot but my PS is SUPER careful.  So I did as I was told until I was OK'd to switch to wires.