Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

Dulcigirl, you may not wanna go this route,but....my PS also recommended I do sports bras and only do underwires on special occasions. I bought some sports bras at Walmart cause didnt think I would wear them very long. I loved them!  I got about 10 in different colors. They are so comfy, I am totally spoiled and regular bras are not very comfy anymore. At $11 each,the price is great. You can get molded ones for shape or go with the total unstructured ones. They have got Danskin and several other brands. I like that I can now go bra less and still have a shape which before with the real ones. I looked totally flat without a bra. Now I have muffins...lol. gotta laugh at this situation cause the alternative is depressing.

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864

Thanks, Layla.

My PS is fine with underwires "or whatever."

Personally right now I feel like I NEED underwire.

"Righty needs to drop,

But Lefty's gotta STOP!"

;-)

I think lefty has dropped now (yay) and I on't want her going any further down. And I actually would like her to shift IN just a tad. Not sure if that is possible after 6 weeks.

Can you still train them, experts?????

I'm hoping to get back in to try a few on this week. Comfy + supportive/encapsulating = happy me. I'd love to try a Bendon...that looks most comfy for cycling from the pictures I've seen.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

My right one had a tendency to move down and out and the underwires definitly moved it over a bit. I could feel the funny "nerve sensations" when I first started wearing the underwire bras. My PS says "they won't go anywhere" now. 

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Dulcigirl - Absolutely you can still train them. My left side felt like it was slipping over into my armpit a few weeks out and that's when I invested in good, encapsulating underwire bras. To my surprise, it alleviated the pain I had inmy left side since TE placement.

Even this morning...I wore a 32c t-shirt bra and by the time I got back from church I had to put on my old faithful 30d, 3 part cup Freya because I was achy.

It's absolutely not too late! I think it was Cameron who referred to a good underwire as 'foobie training wheels.' Lol! ;)

Edited for clarity.

• Dulcigirl

Thanks!! Hard part is figuring how to let righty move a little (down) and make lefty move in! Kind of like having twins and making one stay home doing chores while the other heads to the mall....

I think I need a nap!! Lol.

I have two chantelles. Same size, different styles. One hurts, one doesn't. I wish I could wear the black one (hurts after a few hours) to bed because it feels snugger on the sides. Maybe I'll try it tonight.

Training wheels. LOVE IT!!!

• Estel

Dulcigirl - again,I think it was Cameron who adjusted the straps so as to make one side higher and the other a little looser to help that side drop. Things eventually evened out for her.

• Dulcigirl

Ha! That's just what I've been doing, but thought it was just kind of a placebo trick to make me feel like I had a bit of control over things. ;-)

I will keep it up! (And down, respectively.)

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

Ok I work at  Soma amd I am obessesed my breasts so lethal combo. I now hve a dozen bras and they are offering a special employee discount next week. Yikes! How do I control this habit lol.

• Estel

Carrol2 - only a dozen? You've only just begun! ;) You've come to the wrong place for help. I say get some pretty ones! :D

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974

I am 5 days out from exchange. At my followup visit 3 days after exchange, I asked my PS about what bra to wear. He said I could wear anything I wanted as long as it was soft, even underwire. He said he only says no underwire if he made an anchor incision on the breast. I only had the donut incision so he was fine with me wearing whatever I want. However, all my old bras are now too small. Don't know if it's a change in my breast size (MX with implant on left, lift with small implant on non MX side) or just having some swelling still. I'm going to get myself measured and go buy a couple of inexpensive bras for now. I'll save the spending spree till I'm done settling (although my PS swears I won't settle much at all on the MX side). Interesting, though, how they are all so different!

• Carrol2

Dawn you are sooo bad. Guess I will ahve to see how good the associate discount is going to be that is next week. I would really like some fun new colors for spring but then I will need to get matchng panties . . .  it's a viscious cycle. I ahve the same issue with their pajamas I can't resist them.

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

Carrol2: And you really should get multiple panties in the same color because you really don't need to launder a bra as often as you do panties, right?  (at least I don't......omg....is that gross and I don't know it?).

• Carrol2

no your right i always get at least 2 panties in each color bra I have. Most of my bras are nude or black though. I do have purple, blue and leopard. I am loving the enw eggshell blue at Soma looks like a Tiffany box. I wear my bras at least twice in the winter before washing sometimes more if I don't get sweaty at all. In teh summer more often.

• Estel

I don't wash my wash that often.  I go longer ... sometimes 4x before I wash them.  It depends on what I've done in them and how much I sweat ... but rarely do I wash my regular every time I wear them.  Only in the heat of the summer.  I do wash my exercise bras more often.

• Estel

lala1 - Implants are wider than natural breasts so most, if not all of us, wear a bigger size now than we did post-exchange.  I wore a zip up front sports bra for a couple of weeks post exchange, then switched to an underwire after reading this thread and the pain went away.  Not only are our PS's different ... our bodies are different too.  Have to find what works for us as individuals.

• p22nut5
    p22nut5 Member Posts: 26

I'm having a hard time finding a sports bra for sleeping. Any suggestion? Wired or wireless. Thanks.

After a week of trying countless bras I finally came to realization that only the Natori Feathers Contour Plunge Bra fits me well. It pushes in and up and very comfortable. I can sleep on it and never have red marks when I wake up in the morning. And gives me a nice cleavage. Another bra that came close second is the Chantelle Rive Gauche Underwire. I've tried a lot of bras that was recommended here but somehow there is always a problem on how the bra fits on me. No more bra fitting for me for a while. I broke out in rashes on my chest already from trying all these bras. ( I always wash my new clothes/undies before I use it.)

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161

p22nut5,

Fruit of the Loom makes a very comfortable front-hook sports bra. They are available in packs of 2 at Wal-Mart. I really like these.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/FAST-TRACK-Fruit-of-the-Loom-Comfort-Front-Close-Sports-Bra-2-Pack-Style-96014PK/23091827

For sleeping, Fruit of the Loom makes another comfortable looking front-hook bra that is not a sports bra.  I have not tried them and suspect they are not supportive as the sports bra, but may be perfect for sleeping.  Except for the absence of the 2 inch elastic band at the bottom, it looks a lot like the Marena post-surgical bra that I have and loved after surgeries.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-of-the-Loom-Seamless-Wirefree-Front-Close-Bra-Style-FT308/22360094?findingMethod=rr

• lala1

Dawn-Hope---Did I read that correctly?! You swapped from a sports bra to an underwire and your pain went away?! I've been afraid to try underwire thinking it would give me even more pain than the sports bra. I still have quite a bit of swelling on the MX side and find that my skin under my arm is very sensitive, like it's rubbing all the time. I'm constantly pulling the sports bra away from my underarm area. However, my sports bra gave me a good bit of compression which helped with the TE and muscle spasms and I was afraid a regular bra wouldn't help with that (although I now have my implant, the pain I experienced with the TE is still there, lessened some, but still there). I guess I need to go try some different bras and see if I get relief from any of them. So far everything I have tried on is cut too high under the arm so with my swelling it's just too uncomfortable. Anyone have any bras that are cut extra low under the arms?

• Estel

Lala - I don't have any cut low under the arms but the under wires that I have with the lowest underwire actually hurt me the most. I may be totally unique but I needed the compression to alleviate the pain.

You do need to go and try some bras when you get a chance.

The Marena bra mentioned above is fabulous. A little pricey but totally worth it.

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-136-molded-cup-bra-with-built-in-implant-stabilizer.aspx

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-133-seamless-molded-cup-bra.aspx

• p22nut5
    p22nut5 Member Posts: 26

MondaysChild - I'll check Walmart later. They're just a block away. The second one you suggested looks really nice. Thanks.

To those of you that wants to try the Shock Absorbers Sports Bra, they normally cost $79, I got them from amazon for $44. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P8A9E4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Golden01

Any one tried this one yet? It's beautiful! I swore I wouldn't spend any more on new underwear for awhile but this one is tempting me!

http://www.herroom.com/fantasie-fl2812-andrea-underwire-bra-with-side-support.shtml?utm_source=br&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20130402FantasieVID4704&utm_content=fl2812Img

• Estel

Golden01 - It IS beautiful!  I haven't tried it but if the style of underwire (it comes up too high in the middle for me) works for you ... I would be tempted too!  The matching knickers are gorgeous too.  

I'm sorry but I can't deter you.  Wink  She's a beauty!

• lala1

Dawn-Hope---Hate to keep bothering you but you are the only one I've come across who still seems to be having the TE pain even after exchange. Can I ask what bras you have found that help? I was wondering if you could only wear the Marena or if you've found any "regular" bras (underwire or not) that give you the compression relief you need. I went and tried on a bunch of bras at Dillards and came home with a couple. However, once I wear them for more than an hour or so, I find that the seams really bother my under arm on the MX side. I think the removal of the nodes left my skin much more sensitive and the swelling I have (which seems to want to never go away!) keeps everything very tender under there. I only remove my current bra (bought from breast cancer store, made like the Fruit of the Loom front hook bras but has pockets for prosthesis) to shower and quickly put it back on since my underarm area starts to spasm. I have a sneaking suspicion that I may never be able to wear a regular bra again. I would love to find a cute bra that gives me that side coverage/compression as well!

• Estel

Lala - You are still so soon after your exchange...if you could get the Marena bra, I would suggest that one because it is made from a material that is made for compression...cotton is not. I would wear it for six weeks and see how it goes. I would also let your PS know that you are in pain and would like a referral to an OT/PT. I found much relief with a certified Lymphedema OT. You're body has been through a lot and a good therapist can work wonders.

The bra I found the most relief in they don't make anymore..it was Freya "Eleanor" but it was a three-part cup lace. The two most like it are "Arabella" and"Lyla." The lace didn't give and gave compression and the underwires provided support.

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa5721-arabella-underwire-plunge-bra.shtml

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa4301-lyla-underwire-plunge-balcony-bra.shtml

Here is a link to the Marena bras again - they are made from compressive fibers that can help alleviate pain. They are good with returns too.

http://marenagroup.com/store/entity/tabid/198/c-3-breast-support.aspx

Edited to add: Few of us had 'cute' bras immediately after our exchange...some did, but for a few weeks we had to settle for pain relief and pain relief and cute often don't go hand in hand. Cute will come. :) maybe a cami would help you right now...give you the compression and support you need?

• Dulcigirl

Dawne-Hope,

Could you give me an idea of how Freya sizing runs compared to Chantelle? Thanks!

• Estel

Dulcigirl - I only have a couple Chantelle bras in a 30D and numerous Freya bras in that size.  I can't give you a fair opinion here based on such a small sample.  In the 2 or 3 Chantelle's.. I've found ... the band size is a little bigger in the Chantella than the Freya ... but again it's not a fair assessment based on only 2 or 3 bras.  Undecided

Ladies ... how does Freya sizing run compared to Chantelle?

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Carrol2 - I wish I still worked at SOMA only for the discount. It used to be 50% for employees during the special discount days. I bought as much as I made so am not sure it was financially a good move for me for income, but I do have a really nice selection of bras. I need to replace my larger ones as I wore them when my arm was in a sling and really stretched them out trying to get them on.  Slowly replacing with some Freya and when my favorites are buy one and get 50% of second, then I will get some replacement ones. I really miss SOMA but my energy level is zero and it is all I can do to go to work and come home. Doesn't help that hubby is not too well. Take care and buy some special bras and matching panties during your employee sale.

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

I love Soma bras but couldnt find my size. i found freya ran larger so that meant for me that i bought smaller in freya. 34 ddd in walcoal and 32 f in freya. i am still finding my way in bras so i'm not the expert.

• Estel

I have a Soma t-shirt bra in a 32C but I've found I really need a 30 band so they don't carry my size either.  I LOVE their bamboo jammies, though!  Cool

• Golden01

Finally got my "camo" Claudette in the right size. I must have clicked on the wrong size and had to send the first one back. It fits and I love it! Bring on the hard tasks, I'm ready! I think I'll think of it as my uniform when I face something challenging. 

Here's the link: www.herroom.com/claudette-2000...