Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Hi all,

Haven't been here in awhile. I have to say I really like my Freya untamed and the Meadowbrook (I think). I also just received the "Just Flew In" in Freya from Herroom. I don't like it as well as the untamed which is a sheer lavendar print. I did order a DD even though Nordstrom's put me in an E. I found the DD wires were not wide enough and the E is much more comfortable. Can't buy anything more for awhile - have to pay Uncle Sam instead - LOL!

I am a 24/7 underwire wearer. I sleep in my underwires and really am uncomfortable if I don't have a bra on for sleeping. I don't sleep in any bras with any padding in them. I don't fill out the fronts very well when laying down and therefore always change to an unlined - like the sheer Freya - for sleeping. Of course I still like my SOMA bras and am waiting for some of them to go on sale - sigh!! I miss working there for the discounts but my health cannot take another job again for awhile. One stressful job is enough!

Am excited we are getting a Nordstrom's Rack in the fall and possibly a Nordstroms in a few years for a new anchor store at at new mall in the works. Can't wait.

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864

I would love some "favorite sports bra" recommendations. Had my 6 week checkup today and he said no more restrictions activity-wise, not to spend much on bras yet because the girls are still a-changing...but a good sports bra would be a good idea.

So what have you all found fits your reconstructed shape best? I'm TE to implants.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Delilahbear - I hear you on "Have to pay Uncle Sam instead."  Undecided  No new bras for me for a while.  Frown  "Just Flew In" is beautiful.  And I am so going to get "Untamed."  Purple and butterflies ... must.have.  Kiss

Big Hurrah!  for a Nordies and a Rack that is coming your way.  I have to say that I am a bit jealous. Wink  That's awesome.  

I hear you on the undewires 24/7.  I hurt if I don't.  

Good to hear from you!  Hope your health gets better.  

• Estel

Dulcigirl - Val posted a new sports bra that she has tried a couple of pages back.  I don't remember the name.  Every sports bra I own is per the recommendation of Val61.  She is the guru on all things sports bras.  Laughing  PM her if you need or want more info.

My favorite sports bra is the Bendon Max Out:

http://www.herroom.com/bendon-73-408-max-out-technical-support-sports-bra.shtml

I've tried several "Freya" sports bras but my favorite is still the Bendon above.  

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa4392-active-underwire-sports-bra.shtml

One without an underwire is lululemon "Tata Tamer"  ... again I like the Bendon better but that is just my opinion.  They come in several different colors ... I'm just posting the black one for reference.  If you want to see more colors, go to the site and search for 'tata tamer'

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/specialized-cycling/Ta-Ta-Tamer-II-31110?cc=0001&sli=1

Shortly after my exchange when walking or running I would wear one of the above mentioned bras and then put a compression bra over it (those kind that you pull on over your head).  I don't have to do that anymore ... but it is an option if for pain reasons you need to.  

The tata tamer comes with foamies to give you an ultra smooth look.  I wore them a few times but don't need them.  It's a good option if you want an ultra smooth look.  

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Hey, girls! Sports bras update!!! Just as Dawne-Hope, I have loved the Bendon Max Out since I was allowed to work out after my exchange. I initially tried a couple different Moving Comfort bras that I found at my local running store, but they just didn't work well for me. The Bendon Max Out was great......and then I discovered lululemon's TaTa Tamer! Though not underwire (which my PS expressly suggested was best), it really does keep the implants well situated and supported. I'm a racerback kind of gal, and although the TaTa Tamer CAN be converted, it's less comfy (in my opinion). But fear not, I found my ALLTIME FAVORITE UNDERWIRE SPORTS BRA (which I did tell y'all about a few weeks ago, so bear with me here): the Shock Absorber Sports Underwire Bra http://www.herroom.com/shock-absorber-b5063-sports-underwire-bra.shtml. Hope the link works, as I'm not so savvy on the old iPad :). What I like about this bra - as compared with the Bendon - is that it's UNLINED. No padding along the wires, no nothing to interfere with the wires snuggling sags isn't the implants. And it has a really simple hook on the straps to make it racerback (no unhooking, lengthening, rehooking straps required!). And it's COMFY! My job is in fitness, so I'm in workout clothes (and sports bras) several hours each day. I have worn the Shock Absorber several times for over TWELVE hours and I (and the foobs) have been happy campers!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Dulci -- you can scroll back through this thread -- lots of recommendations in the past.  The Bendon Max Out comes to mind (I think that's the name).

Is that the one you just slept in (by accident) the other night, Dawn?

• Lilah

Oops sorry I thought I was on last page and then realized I wasn't and that Dawn replied about the Bendon Max Out (so I deleted).

• Lilah

Oh and there's Val's reply as well!  Great info ladies. 

• Dulcigirl

Yay!!! Thanks for the speedy suggestions!!

Racerback option is a must!

Now the hunt begins.....

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Panties question:

For those of you who have the Freya thong undies...

I am 5'4" 123 and I wear a size 2 or 4 pant.  So what size in Freya?  Size small seems, well, small.  Do they run large or small?

Thanks you guru gals!

• Estel

whippetmom - Small in Freya is about a medium in VS.  I think you will be fine in a small Freya undie.  

Edited to add:  Just to give you a point of reference...I was at my heaviest about a year ago, 116# 5'5" ... and Freya smalls were perfect on me, some Freya styles even a little loose.  I've recently dropped ten pounds and they are now big.  I think a small would be perfect on you.

• p22nut5
    p22nut5 Member Posts: 26

I had been reading some of the post here. I would like to share too. I had a bean shape  Mentor TE expanded to 420ml. I'm 2 weeks post op today. I have now Mentor HP 400cc. I had been wearing sports bra 24/7 since my stitches was removed a week ago. Never had drain. I have very mild swelling on the upper area of my right implant. My doctor told me, after 2 weeks post op I can go bra less but still wear sports bra at night. Anyway, I got myself fitted in nordstrom today. I bought an underwire Natori and Chantelle bras size 32DD. I'm 5'5, 122 lbs. Chest circumference 28.5. 

I would like to buy a freya swimsuit top. To those of you around my size, what size are you in freya? Thanks.

• Estel

p22nut5 - Yay on some pretty bras!  Congratulations on being done with your exchange.  

My ribcage is 28.5 and I wear a 30 band in Freya.  You could try that same size that you bought in Natori and Chantelle, 32DD or you could drop down and try a 30E.  Freya is sized in European sizing ... so a DDD is a E in that sizing (if you go down a band size, you go up a cup size).  Order from herroom.com or barenecessities.com so you can order the suit in a couple of different sizes and then return the one that doesn't fit.  I wear the same size in a Freya swim suit that I wear in their bras.  

• Estel

val - Thanks for the post on the Shock Absorber sports bra.  I have to say I never have mastered the cross the straps, pull the bra over your head then hook it in the back.  I could do a hilarious comedy routine on the night I got stuck in my Bendon trying to cross the straps. Embarassed  So ... the fact that it simply hooks in the back looks amazing and right up my alley. Tongue Out That will be my next sports bra I will try.  Thanks.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Thanks DH!

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

I've found the Freya swimsuit size in the same size of my bras works well. For me, 34DDD (or 34 E or F as they call it in some brands). 

• p22nut5

Thanks Golden01

• p22nut5

Thanks Dawne-Hope. I'll do that :)

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

yes golden 01 i  have found that too. i am a 34 ddd or a 32 f in freya.

• p22nut5

Okey, so the Chantelle bra I bought though it feels perfectly fitted, the wire hurts on the sternum and left a red mark overnight. So this morning I switched to Natori which feels more comfortable than Chantelle. I am into the 4th hr already of wearing the natori bra but now I am starting to feel the pain again on the sternum. Does this mean the bra is too big or too small? To those of you with 28.5 chest circumference and 400cc implant what size you end up wearing? Any bra suggestions that does not dig on the sternum. DO you sleep with underwire bra or sports bra? I was so happy when I got the bra, now I'm feeling disappointed :(

• Dulcigirl

P22, I had the SAME experience with my first "big girl bra"...also a Chantelle. I believe it was because I still had swelling in the cleavage area. For the first couple of weeks I carefully placed a gauze pad so that the tops of the wires rested on it and that really helped me. Now that my swelling is almost gone I live in my Chantelle. (Waiting til all is settled to buy anything else.) Sometimes though I just get tired of it and achy. I have one other very soft cotton underwire I got at Kohls that I wear to bed. The wire is the right width but the sternum doesn't fit quite as snug so it is easier to sleep in. I'll probably use this Chantelle or sleeping once I "graduate."

Not sure how far out from exchange you are, but that's what has worked for me.

• p22nut5

DULCIGIRL: It has been 17 days now since my exchange. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.

• p22nut5

I don't know if anyone has shared this information already but I just found this bra size calculator and it gave me the exact size nordstom fitter gave me. ( while the other calculators on the web I found was all off ) 

www.lindasonline.com/bra-fitting-calculator.html

• Golden01

I love my Chantelles but have never been able to sleep in the underwires. I get the red marks like you describe (and it hurts!). I admire all of you that have mastered sleeping in your wired bras. I wear wireless bras (good supportive ones) to bed. My PS says I don't need to wear a bra at night but I'm more comfortable if I do and I really worry about the right one taking off down and out (is already a tad lower than my left one!). 

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Hey, p22 and friends! I am 28.50" ribcage ( or slightly smaller) with 425cc implants and wear a 30DD. Usually, when there is pressure on the sternum from the underwire, it is because the cup is too big. When the cups fit properly - not the wire, but the fabric - the tightness of the top edge of the cups pulls the wire away from the sternum. So...shen the cups fit correctly, there should not be sny sternal pressure. Hope that makes sense!

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235

p22nut5 - I had the same problem with the first bras I bought.  In addition to Val's comments I will add that some styles simply have wires that come up higher in the center.  I have a rather prominent sternum and ended up returning the first three bras that I purchased at Nordstrom after my fitting there.  They felt great in the store, but became painful after a few hours.  It takes determination and perseverance to find your "perfect" bra - hang in there!

• p22nut5

I went back to Nordie this afternoon. I end up returning the Chantelle Basic Intimates Memory Foam bra. Another SA fitted me and she said the band on this style of bra was too big for me and the wire goes up high on my sternum. I kept the Natori Jacquard underwire bra that I previously bought and I also bought the Natori Feathers Underwire Bra. Natori Feathers fits like a glove. It feels like it was made specially for me. All are in sizes 32DD. Wacoal fits me in 32DD also. I tried the 30E  but I found it too tight. I also bought the Under Armour "armour" sports bra in 32DD. I want to use this for sleeping for I find the underwire uncomfortable to sleep in. Band on this sports bra comes large. 30E would had been perfect but it doesn't come on that size. So I settled on 32DD and just put it on the last hook. It holds my foobs really well and very comfortable too. No shifting whatsoever even if I lie down on my side. I think I'm gonna use this for my Nordic Walks also.

TinaT - we'll see how it works this time. I hope I don't have to go back to nordstrom again except to buy more bras :)

Val61 - thanks for the info. And thank you so much for this thread. It helped/helping me so much.

Golden01 - my PS told me also that I could go braless already except at night, he still wants me to wear sports bra. However it doesn't hurt if I listen to the awesome women here that has the first hand experience about wearing bra post exchange. 

• Golden01

My favorite Chantelle bra has a great new green color and the red is on sale! I paid full price on the red at Nordstrom when it first came out. Take a peek! 

http://www.herroom.com/chantelle-3641-c-chic-sexy-3-part-plunge-underwire-bra.shtml

• p22nut5

Golden01 - that's a very pretty bra. I want to try it next time I go bra shopping. But for now, I should refrain myself from buying more bra just in case my bra size change once my implant settles and my swelling subsides.To all ladies here did you experience a big change in size, few weeks/months post exchange?

I wore my wired natori bra to sleep last night. I hardly noticed the wires.

• Golden01

My PS advised me not to "spend a lot on bras" until about 3-4 months after my last surgery (nipple reconstruction with some pocket work) because he felt with swelling and changes there might be a difference on the size. I stayed in JC Penney's zip-up-the-front sports bras until I hit that mark (in gray and white). His advice was also to hold off on underwires until then, which differs from some other PS. Sizing has stayed the same for me since then and I've spent way more than I ever dreamed on bras. I also own more and prettier bras in more colors than I have ever had before!