Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

cailindearg - Nordstrom Rack is a great place to find deals but they won't have fitters there.  Go to Nordstrom's first and get properly fitted, then go to the Rack to get a deal.  Wink  But, like some of these gals ... they usually don't have my size.  Undecided 

Some of us, when we figure out what works, will go to ebay and then find some fabulous deals.  I do buy a full-price bra from a fitter who has really worked with me ... I feel guilty if I don't.  Want to reward them for a job well done.  Do make an appointment with a surgical fitter ... someone who has experience fitting women with reconstructed breasts.  It is a different ball game.  Keep us posted!

• Estel

This is just for fun.  Definitely not a bra for right after your exchange.  I've been on the hunt for a t-shirt bra that gives me the projection that I had with my natural breasts.

I had my eye on Freya Taylor for months now and it finally went on sale.  I wanted the black/chocolate velvet with the high-waisted knickers to match.  

I've worn it twice now and I just want to say it is fabulous!  The first time I wore it I did hurt a bit ... (not that unusual for me) but I wore it allllll day today and was absolutely fine.  

If you're a uni and needing some symmetry or if it has been a while (at least six months) since your exchange and you're looking for a t-shirt bra that totally gives you cleavage and some 'oompf' this bra is worth checking out.  "Ashlee" looks exactly the same but herroom doesn't say it is the same cut but it sure looks like it ... just a different color.  If you like the retro style ... the high waisted knickers are the best quality Freya undies that I've ever bought.  Fabulous!  Cool

Freya "Taylor"

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa4971-taylor-underwire-molded-plunge-bra.shtml

Here she is with the high waisted brief.  

http://www.brasandhoney.com/freya-bra/freya-taylor-jet

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

You know Dawne-Hope i've had my eye on that one.Glad to see your posting. Does the fringe show up on your tops?

• Estel

owlwatcher - It being black, I've only worn it under black tops .... velvet, loose fitting, or wearing a jacket over it... and it's been good.   I think it probably would if it were a tight fitting t-shirt or a silk shirt ... I'll try it under both and let you know.  

• cailindearg
    cailindearg Member Posts: 19

So ladies, I finally took you're advice and I'm so glad I did!! I went to Nordstrom and got fitted and I'm a (drumroll!!!) 32D, I was shocked!!

I was a little disappointed that they didn't seen to have a great selection, ie something sexy, but now I know my size and can go from there..

Here is one of the bras that fitted well, there were 3 Natori and 1 Chantelle that fit

http://www.herroom.com/natori-736044-hidden-glamour-full-fit-underwire-contour-bra.shtml

Here is the other one

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/chantelle-intimates-basic-invisible-memory-foam-t-shirt-bra/3246244?origin=category&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Black&resultback=2874#BVRRWidgetID

Thanks so much ladies!!

• Estel

cailindearg - Pretty!  Kiss  They both look really comfortable too.  I love the colors that the Natori comes in too!

Most of us gasped, I think, when we were first fitted.  But we get over it pretty quicklyCool!  

Enjoy and congratulations! 

• Estel

owlwatcher - Here is my review of Freya "Taylor"

Not the bra to wear under summer style, tight-fitting t-shirts.  It does show the trim but the color and the style of it (velvet in summer?) just isn't right to wear under those shirts anyway.

What I love about it I've already said:  It works like a push-up bra but it isn't a push-up bra.  When I really dress up and wear my best suits ... I miss the 'oomph' of my natural breasts.  I'm a straight up and down gal and I look pretty flat when I wear a dressy blouse and suit jacket and this bra gives me some curves.  

For summer under tight fitting t-shirts ... my favorite is Natori.  Super smooth and super cool.  

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

cailindearg - Very pretty! Thanks for sending the links. Those new sizes can be quite a suprise! 

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

cailin very pretty.  You and I are the same size.  I have had good luck with the Victoria Secret and Soma demi cups.

• hwhranch
    hwhranch Member Posts: 126

First time poster to this topic...I just had exchange surgery March 1 and PS told me to wear a sports bra for 2 weeks then I could do what ever I wanted.  I read the lead post on this topic and I do agree about the needed support for the implants.  I did have lat flap surgery on the left radiated breast.  I am going this weekend to Victorias Secret to get sized and hopefully get a good fitting bra.  Did anybody go that route?  I can go to Nordstrome...I think there is one at the mall close to me.  (I don't shop much,lol)

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864

Hwranch, your odds of being properly fitted will be MUCH better at Nordstroms than at VS. call Nordstroms and ask for an appointment with a certified mastectomy fitter if possible.

I just got one good fitting bra at my first appointment and am waiting til all has settled to get remeasured and get more. Things will change in the first couple of months.

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

i also have to agree with Dulcigirl. That was my experiance being fitted as well. Good luck you might turn into one of us and fall in love with bras. Just warning you!

• msShelly
    msShelly Member Posts: 8

its interesting... having my exchange soon and the doc told me NO underwire... just comfortable bra around the clock first week and then at my leisure the next week....

also, as for the bras, i actually like the post mastectomy bras i got from the shop. they just have a little padding, but i think i might wanna keep them. they are comfortable for me.

i know its stupid, but i didn't know i would need drains again!! what a pain... i have my surgery on saturday and was hoping to be back to work on monday becuase i dont want to keep missing work. anybody know if they sell anything to hold/hide drains?

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864

MsShelly,

Did your PS tell you you would need drains again? Not everyone does. I did not, but I did not have to have much pocket work or scar tissue removal.

The camisoles I wore after my BMX had great pockets that held the drains nice and tight. I really liked them and they did a decent job of hiding things under a loose blouse, etc.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

msshelly I used a camisole with pockets for the drains called a softee. I ordered it online. it was expensive I think $60 but it was great cause it's rally stretchy and I could step inot it.

• Sherryc

Hwranch--I went to victoria secret for a fitting because they were closer to me.  They did  a great job of fitting me.  I later went to soma and they fitted me with the same size and got a bra a really like there as well.  I am almost 4 months out from last revision and the girls have changed a abit.  I'd say they are a little fuller and more cleavage than to start with.

msShells I had exchange and then I had a full revision with lot's of pocket work.  Neither time did I have drains.  Be sure and ask your PS.  And every PS is different when it come to bras.  After Exchange and revision I was instructed to wear my surgical bra for one week then moved in to underwire bras even for sleeping.  At the end of this month I finally get to graduate out of sleeping in my underwire.

• hwhranch
    hwhranch Member Posts: 126

I wish I would have checked with Nordstrome last year. I wore a prosthetic for a year with the most uncomfortable bra in the world. I found out that Nordstrome will sew a pocket into any bra for free. Also every lady in the bra department is a certified fitter and thet are very experienced in working with women who have had breast cancer. I feel like I may have a bigger selection of bras. I'm going to start there and after everything settles I can buy from VS. I do like their bras.

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Hi all, its been awhile since I've checked up on this thread. Hope everyone is doing well. Question for all you bra experts - are push ups something we should avoid, or is wearing them with certain outfits ok? I don't want to accidentally move or push implants in a way they shouldn't be. Any opinions on push ups?

• Estel

shore1 - Hi there!

From what I've learned on this thread, it's wise to NOT wear a push-up bra while everything is settling in the pocket...first six months or so. After that, it's ok to wear one occasionally.

I wear one sometimes and I'm good for about four hours and then I start to ache but that just may be me.

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Hi Dawne-Hope! Thanks for the reply. Now that you say it, I think that sounds familiar to me too. My exchange was almost 1 year ago, so that's probably when I read about it, and settled on just finding a comfortbale every day bra. After things settled, I found Dream Angels VS & Soma Embraceable to work best for me. I tried Natori, etc., but they weren't as comfortable for me. I asked about the push-up because Dream Angels also comes in a push-up & I just bought one. I'm sure I'll just wear it when the outfit calls for it - it's not like they aren't high enough Wink

• monicaelise
    monicaelise Member Posts: 23

This is a really interesting topic.  All three of my surgeons (general surgeon, first PS and PS's associate who took over my case when he retired) have emphatically said there is absolutely no reason to ever wear a bra again.  I'm wondering why this is.  Are there different recommendations based on size? age? tissue condition?  Just wondering why there is such a staggering difference of opinion on this subject.

I certainly have no problem with going bra-less for the rest of my life, but I don't want to damage my implants, or myself, if there's a risk of doing so in taking the advice of my docs.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

shore i don't think after a year you could do any damage by wearing a push up if it's comfortable.

monicaelise every ps is different on this topic. Mine says that I should wear an underwire bra to prevent sagging. He says my implants will eventually sag jsut like a natural breast would. I do go braless from time to time though and they look fine but I like the way they look better in a bra.

• Sherryc

Shore my PS has had me in underwire 24/7 from the get go and sport bras were an absolute no.  Mine have settle in very well with wearing the underwire.  I finally get to shuck the sleeping in the underwire at the end of this month. woohoo

• Estel

Had a first this morning:

When I changed into my pajamas last night I was so tired I forgot to change bras and when I got up, I noticed I had slept in my Bendon sports bra! (Underwire sports bra). I often seep in my Freya underwires but never an underwire sports bra. Lol!

Had a good laugh this morning.

• windycityDCIS
    windycityDCIS Member Posts: 12

Hi folks- I had my exchange surgery on Tuesday, and I felt like I received manna from heaven yesterday when I was walking through my local Whole Foods store in Chicago and there was this display of all of these 100% cotton, cute bras!  I probably will mostly wear camis and tanks, but I bought 4 of these b/c it made me feel better.  The company is called majamas and here is the website: 

http://www.majamasboutique.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=304

• Estel

windycity - Those look super comfy.  Thanks for posting!

• Estel

The red is on sale!  Simone Perele Andora that was mentioned earlier:

http://www.herroom.com/simone-perele-131343-andora-3d-molded-bra.shtml

Do I REALLY need another red bra?  Embarassed

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Very cute, Windy City.  I found something similar that I wore (and loved sleeping in) after exchange by Slimpressions. 

• cailindearg
    cailindearg Member Posts: 19

Dawn, they look super cute!! Windycity, they look perfect for after surgery!