Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974

Mamatwinz--Finding a bra the completely encapsulates the implant is the hard part for me too! Regular bras that you can buy in all the stores are just too narrow in the cup. There are a few that I have found that go all the way around but I find that they then go up too high under my arm so they rub there. I find I am constantly pulling the bra away from my underarm. But, you might be different so try the Bali 3547 (of all the Smooth U's that's the wider one). Also I found a DKNY 453213 at Belks the other day that is a bit wider. Maybe one of those will work for you.

Rose--I found a Bali 3550 yesterday at Belks. Tried it on last night. Fit great (34D) but still same issue for me. I'm trying to figure out what goes wrong and this is what I'm thinking.....I have feeling on my foob side in the cleavage area but it's that partial type that is like a shock. The bras that are nonwire and low cut in the cleavage rub against that area so it feels like constantly being shocked. The Bali 3488 is cut high enough in the cleavage to not rub there. And regular underwire bras (I like some padding so nips don't show) are contoured so they move with my body not against it. Does that make sense at all? I think this might be why I can't wear all those other type of nonwires. And all underwires feel great around cleavage but they rub against my underarm because in a D cup they are cut too high. So my goal is to find a bra that goes around the implant completely but is cut more away from the underarm. I'm hoping that if I can ever get to Nordstroms's they will have something that works.

Boy! I feel like such a whiner complaining about not being able to find a nice bra when I could be MUCH worse off!! Undecided But thanks for listening and offering suggestions. I keep copious notes to aid in my search!!

• mamatwinz
    mamatwinz Member Posts: 193

thanks lala..i will look when I am out this weekend.  luckily tailor did not have my dress ready so we rescheduled for monday and now I can look for strapless over the weekend.  I haven't looked for underwire yet, because when my ps nurse told me to be sure nothing hits implant I just stayed with my cotton no underwire! ha!  I am just over 2 wks post revision and feel good, but sore to the touch and pretty black and blue still at the spot where ps went in to deposit fat grafting and multiple repositionings of implant. altho dress is black, so it'll match!  hope i find some nice ones!! 

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235

sweetandspecial - Since I don't check in there as frequently as I used to I usually check out the active threads first.  If I'm looking for a particular person's thread I use the Search function.  Type in the name you're looking for and make sure that you click the Search First Message Only box below that.  This ignores all the posts that person has made as replies in others' threads and just pulls up the thread(s) that person created.  Most of us have only started one thread.  In addition, pay attention to the Thread Age Preferences box.  If you want to search the entire site you can simply change the 90 to 0 and change newer to older.  Scroll down and you should a link to the thread(s) that person started.  If you are looking for a particular term rather than a particular person's thread you can type something into the word or phrase box.  Do not use quotes and pay attention again to the thread age option choices.  Change the 90 to 0 and newer to older if you want to search the whole site.  Example, if you are looking for photos of Natrelle Style 45 implants leave the name area blank, type Style 45 into the Word or Phrase box and search for posts 0 days and Older.

Hope that helps.  I know it sounds confusing, but if you pull up that Search page and look at the options there it can be really helpful!

• lala1

TinaT--remind me again what the bra thread is called on the picture forum please. Can't seem to find it and I'm not sure why!!

Thank you!!

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864

Lala,

It is "Post your bras" and has been bumped up so it is pretty close to the top right now in the "Under Construction" section.

• mamatwinz

Nordstroms 32 DD.. got a strapless/convertible bra for bridesmaid dress, n super pretty, comfy natori bra..both are underwire..holy boobs..amazing!!! :)

• TLR
    TLR Member Posts: 35

Mamatwinz, so happy you found a bra that will work!! What a good feeling...I can hear your satisfaction in your typing, lol.

• violet_1
    violet_1 Member Posts: 335

Lala:

You aren't whining. I am having one HELL of a time...:(

I HAVE found bras that finally go all the way around my implants and are the best possible fit...BUT, *ANY/ALL BRAS* set my L problem boob off into PAIN. Not sure what the heck I'm going to DO.

I have way more feeling in that boob, obviously...seems ANY slight pressure on it kills me. Sucks.

So, now I'm worried about having ANY nipple surgery OR tattooing! It would make things worse, I'm sure. Yet, I DO want them done...sigh.

I can go braless, but my R boob had dropped a tiny bit so I worry about not wearing a bra also..

Nightmare at this point..pain isn't getting any better either.

Anyone else go through this?

Violet

• mamatwinz

Tlr..u r right! :). I then went across the street from mall n there was nordtrom rack n found two more bras I loved..both of which turned out to be Natori ...both clearanced to $16 n $20.. from $70..got those n found convertible cotton bra $6..n two bandeau cotton bras for $5 each, so if they work, then I will return the strapless I bought at nordstroms..the other from there, the pretty natori one I may keep I can't find cheaper..its too darn pretty! Herroom(?) Has same price as Nordstroms..I googled in dressing room !! I can't belie e how much bigger they look in these pretty underwire bras vs my cotton ones I have been wearing..it was scary at first.. the girl at nordstroms was WONDERFUL!!

• mamatwinz

I m not sure what I m going to do re nipples yet..

• Rose63
    Rose63 Member Posts: 91

Violet - hi lady! Sorry leftie is still giving you trouble! You did have a couple of bra's previously that were working - spanx and maidenform? - did they stop being comfortable too?

Lala - If we can't whine here, where CAN we whine for pete's sake! We get it, it's frustrating wanting to find cute comfortable bra's that enhance the girls and are comfortable all day. But it's HARD! Wanted to update you on my Bali 3550 experience. At 1.5 hrs into my testdrive it was very comfortable as reported. But at 3 hrs in, I started to feel pressure/discomfort/lowlevelpain across the tops of both foobs right along the top edge of the bra. Nothing heavy duty, but there. Think you are right, that it has something to do with the contour of the cup shape. They don't seem to move with my body, but rather stay stiff and press against my body at times.... in my case hitting at the top of the foob. BUT, I continued to wear the bra, and at around 5 hrs it stopped bothering me. Guess the brain got past it. So, not sure about that one. 

Since my PS explained he was only restricting me from underwires because he felt they would be too painful for me at my IMF area, I decided to try on a Calvin Klein F3169 underwire I had purchased at Ross a couple of weeks ago and had in storage till cleared to wear it. And it fits and feels GREAT. Very comfortable and no IMF pain at all... in fact better than than the nowires were. And I love how contained my foobs are! I ended up wearing this bra all day yesterday, and now put it on again thismorning. Think this will be my go-to bra!

Can I pick all your brains? In my prior life (before BC) I was not very interested in bras, and only ever had 2 or 3. Lived in sports bra type things actually since retiring. But NOW I've got this new addiction (is there a group? oh, maybe this IS the group?), and already have more bras than I ever did before in my life! So, how does everyone store your bras? I have a deep drawer that I've been using, and trying to keep everything in neat piles of 'like' garments (stack of genie bras, stack of white nowires, etc etc etc), but of course now the variety is getting too big and too many stacks! Thinking of getting some drawer dividers or something? Container Store, or ??  Or do you hang them on some device? HELP....

• Dulcigirl

Ha!!! My bras are currently hanging on this shoe rack!!

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/353-36-pair-over-the-door-shoe-rack.html

I got it for Christmas and it is HORRIBLE for my shoes! They kept falling and blocking the door. But it's great for the bras. Lol. I lay them over so each cup sits on one rail. They stay nice and perky. ;-)

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Rose - Oh, yes there is a group. Bra addicts for sure. :) I am so with you. Had two ill fitting bras. Now, well, lets just say I have drawers full. :/

I put mine in drawers in a dresser, in an armoire and in plastic drawers. Non-molded bras I fold in half, molded bras should not be folded in half. I store them in a drawer behind one another. I'd like to buy a lingerie dresser but those are too expensive for me right now. Here is a link that shows how to store them. I keep my molded bras separate from non molded.

The l.ink below says you can hang them but I haven't done that yet. :)

The container store is a fabulous place to get ideas for storage.

Here's the link:

Scroll down to see bras in a drawer or container

http://blog.lindasonline.com/2013/07/01/how-to-store-bras-at-home-on-the-go-braducational-video/

• Rose63

Thanks Dulci and Dawne-hope! I'm going to link off now and study. I'll be back.....

• lala1

Rose---I saw some Calvin Kleins the other day at Belks. I'm going to go try some of them on. They may be the only ones I haven't tried! (Well, except for all the great ones at Nordstrom!) I also recently bought this DKNY

http://www.herroom.com/dkny-453213-fusion-lace-transformer-demi-cup-bra.shtml

It's actually pretty ok for me. I wore it for about 3 hours yesterday and while I did have some discomfort, it wasn't as bad as most. I am going to try it for a while and see how it goes.

I do have another question for everyone....my ribcage is 34 and I have always been told to add 2" for bra band size. I actually find the 34 to fit perfect cup-wise (other than the discomfort!) and the 36 to be a bit big regardless of going down in cup size. If 34 fits me better, is it ok to wear something that snug? One lady suggested I would give myself lymphadema if my bra band was too tight. Anyone ever heard of that? I thought as long as I could get a finger or 2 under the band, I'd be ok, which I can. The band is definitely snug but I have to remember that before BC, I wore a 38B and I'm pretty sure it was the wrong size since I now know that straps falling off mean it's too big. So now my perfect size is 34D. I just don't know if the discomfort comes from the band being too small or just from all my MX pains. Thoughts?

• Estel

lala - Some would say that too tight a bra could trigger lymphedema.  Over on the LE threads there are some ladies whose breast LE is triggered by too tight of a bra.  I have lymphedema and a tight bra band doesn't affect me.  But again, LE is a tricky monster.  If a 34 fits you, I say go with it.  LE is such a crap shoot.  I pray you never get it.  xo

• Estel

I took some pics of a couple of my bra drawers.  Not very good quality and they could use some tidying up but it gives you a peek.

Molded bras:

1234197_541462179253697_285657873_n.jpg  

Not sure if this is going to work.  I'm sorry if no ... but the link above does show what I'm trying to show.

Non-molded:

533739_541461972587051_59283953_n.jpg

• Estel

lala - A snug back band is a sign of a bra that fits.  One or two fingers fitting underneath is ideal.  For me, pain was my guide.  My pain greatly lessened at first with a tight band and now almost non-existent.  Do what lessens your pain.    

http://blog.lindasonline.com/2013/06/04/signs-that-your-bra-fits-braducational-video/#more-4403

A caveat:  On the video it says that your breasts should fill out the cup.  With reconstructed breasts, this isn't going to be true, at least for most of us.  Most of us have a little extra room in the tip of the cup because we no longer have the areola complex.  Know that a little extra room in the cup is normal for us.  

• Rose63

Dulci and Dawne-Hope - thanks for the links. Lots of good ideas there! The shoe-rack is inventive Dulci! So you 'stand' the bra between the two shoe rungs? I never thought of long hooks - that could work... think I have a wall area in the closet I could put up some hooks. Or maybe some clear boxes (see through is good) to keep like-types together, stacked in my deep drawer would work - if I can find a good box size.

Lala - don't have any experience with lymphodema (thankfully), so not sure about that. But don't you need compression with lymphodema? Wouldn't that mean tight is good? Don't know...just musing. Think I did hear the rule of one-or-two-fingers under the band for proper bra fit. The DKNY you got looks so pretty! I like the Black/Brown color. And the cut look likes it might be good for you. Hope so! Do try a Calvin Klein... I still have mine on.

• lala1

I wore the DKNY again today. Lasted about 45 minutes before I ripped it off in disgust! It was rubbing right at my armpit which is where I have the most pain with underwires; sometimes even with nonwires, but rarely. I should look into some kind of padding and see if that allows me to wear an underwire longer and then I might get used to it. Wish I could go braless but unfortunately native side didn't get THAT good of a lift!! Tongue Out

As far as not filling out the whole cup, what do most of you do? Do you buy bras that are more padded to keep their shape or do you "stuff"?

• Estel

lala - Do you have access to the picture forum?  If so, look at the pics on the bra thread ... you barely notice it without clothes on (bra only) and you definitely don't notice it with clothes on if you're wearing a t-shirt bra ... it holds the form fine.  I don't do anything with mine, no forms, no fills, nothing.  

• Dulcigirl

My bras are not "standing", but they are laying across the rungs just like each shoe would. So part of the band falls down in the back by the door and the other part hangs down in the front. Lol. Maybe I should see if I could figure out how to post a pic. BUT, if you plan on going bra crazy this may not be a good method. I can fit about 3 bras per tier.

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

this site is the bra addiction site so you are where you should be. personally i put my bras in my drawer by color. i do wear them very tight, but then i had no nodes removed.

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

Has anyone had any experience with the Bali Comfort Revolution (3484)?  I'm looking at the Avon Campaign 19 brochure and this thing looks extremely comfortable.  Nylon/spandex, no seams, looks like maybe a 2" soft band, hook&eye back closure.  Regular price $36, on sale for $24.99, my cost as an Avon rep would be just under $19. 

I can't believe I didn't order one of these from the demo brochure a couple campaigns ago....duh!!

Please let me know if anyone has tried this one.  I'll probably order one even if I don't hear back and then I'll let you know what I think Wink.  Thanks!!

• lala1

Sweetandspecial---The Bali 3484 is almost identical to the one I wear which is the Bali 3488. It's the only one I can stand! The difference is the lining. The 3484 has no lining at all and the 3488 has a thin pad in the cups. I have to have the lining as I still have one nip and the difference in my two boobs is noticeable. The pad also gives me just a tad of lift so the boob and foob look much more symmetrical. If you don't have any need for liner (BMX or no nips or don't care if nips show) then both bras will work for you. I saw some of the 3484s on sale at Belks for about $12 and at JCP for around $18 I think. The 3488s usually cost a bit more, like around $22 at JCP and Kohls. These Balis are the most comfy of all!!

• mamatwinz

sweet..holy crapola!  that is MY bra!!!  I LOVE it!!  I was looking for post op bra after recontruction in april and was hesitant as I was very sore for 8 weeks and even sore after that; just not as bad.  Mostly on right side with all the pocket work and scar tissue and limited ROM.  This bra was great..admittedly felt a little odd at first and some soreness at scar tissue, but I had that soreness with or without a bra on!  Kohls had them buy one, get one 50% off.  sizing was super easy on tag and was exactly right for me.  My ps ok'd it at office visit.  I sleep in it.  I have worn it since then and then again 1 wk after my revision in august.  still sleep in it.  it gives a nice shape,,slightly push up for me due to support.  But I was shocked when I was fitted at nordstroms and saw my foobs in regular underwire..looked very big compared to in this bali bra!  Dulci..this is the bra that I could not find name of/item # of!!   Oh and I just shove mine in my top drawer with my socks and undies.. although these bras are nicer than I have ever owned, so I may need to do some shifting around soon!

• Dulcigirl

Thanks!!! I'm going to Kohls this week. Here's hoping they make them big enough for me!! Lol.

• Estel

Dulcigirl - I love it that you put your bras on a shoe rack! :D

I posted over on the pic forum a couple of my bra drawers.

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

I keep all of mine -- though running out of room -- in a large, fairly deep plastic drawer that is 3 high. I use the other 2 drawers for other things. I fold my non-padded ones in half and stand them with the front out and line up by color. I can get 2 rows of bras this way (I store them like we did in the drawers when I worked for SOMA). The padded ones I stack together at one end of the drawer. I don't have as many of them as I do not like the padded so well.

I recently had surgery to remove a lump from under my armpit that was extending to the upper, outer quadrant of the right breast and the PS lifted the IMF on both sides and stitched the pockets to the ribs. I cannot wear my underwires at this time. I try and have to go back to the sports bras. My incisions are IMF and down from areola/nip graft. The wires and any seams rub at the wrong place. I just bought wirefree Bali 3036 cotton and Warners#2079 at Macy's. The Bali is a cotton bra they had on sale for $14.99 and the Warners was buy one and get 2nd for $10.00 and got 25% of of the warners as well. For not being underwired they are OK. I also got a Walcol at Dillards that is very similar to the Warner one. I have to have the left side re-lifted as the stitching didn't hold and he wants to do some more lateral pocket work on it so I will be wearing them for awhile. The sports bras were Shock Absorber D Max and expensive compared to the ones I just bought but they do hold everything in. The main problem with them is they are too high cut for regular clothing and scrubs for work and my DH has to hook them as they have two sets of hooks.

I just hope my Freyas and SOMA pretty lacey bras fit after all this mess is over. PS says size won't change but shape will and they are a bit higher.

I truly am addicted to bras.

• Dulcigirl

Dawne-Hope...saw your vast collection and posted my Starter Kit pic. Lol.