Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• BCnotforme
    BCnotforme Member Posts: 25

hi dawn-hope! I'm reaching out to you because it sounds like you know! Before surgery (PBMX, nipple sparing) I loved to use the rowing machine at the Y. And play tennis. I'm still in process, lost an implant to infection so waiting more til I can have a revision /replacement on both, but will I ever be able to row again? Surely tennis, but Rowing?

Many thanks for your sharing.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

BCnotforme - There is a woman Carol57 on the LE threads who is a rower.  PM her or ask about her story on this thread:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/64/topic/783789?page=152#post_3981422

The key is going to be start slow.  If you're at risk for LE you will need to wear some compression garments but yes, it is possible.  Just don't go all in the first time you do those activities the first time.  You need to let your body heal and as hard as it is to not exercise during this time of healing … you need to let your body heal and the best way to do that is rest.  

Carol57 put together this hand out … scroll all the way through it … and the principles at work in all the activities listed will be the ones you will need to follow when you start rowing again.  

Hugs to you.  I know how hard it is to want so desperately to get back to your normal hobbies and activities but have to wait.  The short answer to your question, is "Yes" but you may have to get back to these activities in a slow and progressive way.

http://www.stepup-speakout.org/Handout%20doc%20for…

http://www.stepup-speakout.org/Trainer%20doc%20for…

Edit:  For whatever reason, the link to the lymphedema thread that I'm referring to isn't working.  

It's in the lymphedema forum in the thread entitled, "Kicking LE's butt!! Exercise & Self Care Log"

One more try:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/64/topic/783789?page=152#post_3981422

• BCnotforme
    BCnotforme Member Posts: 25

dawn-hope, thank you so very much for taking the time to share with me, help me and give me hope! I'll check out carols thread and links. Thank you thank you!!!

Xo

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

This is a shout-out to anyone who has had their PS give them a prescription for supportive bras after reconstruction so the expense comes under their health insurance.  I had my dog-ears removed on Friday.  Since I don't intend on having nipples reconstructed I'm finally at the point where I can start some more serious bra-shopping after things relax and settle once again after this procedure.  I mentioned the whole 'prescription for supportive bras' thing to my PS this morning at my follow up and, while he's never had anyone ask before, he's totally willing.  But since he's never done such a thing before he wanted to me find out how other PS's have done it.  How is the script written up?  Do you make the purchase(s) and submit to the insurance company yourself?  I imagine so, since Nordstrom's doesn't likely work with insurance companies, right?

Any further details you can help me with would be appreciated.  Thanks!

• Estel

sweetandspecial - I'm not sure because insurance didn't cover mine.

I think Lilah may have some experience?  You might want to PM her and ask.  Forgive me, Lilah, if I got this wrong.  Scared

You could call Nordstrom and ask for sure what the proper protocol is … at least for them so we know for absolute sure.

You also could call your insurance company?  

Insurance, for me, has been an absolute nightmare so I am truly the last person that can offer any kind of advice on this issue.

Anyone else have some advice/help for sweetandspecial?  

• sweetandspecial

Thanks Dawne - my insurance hasn't given me any problems thus far, PTL.  I just remember someone mentioning, and it's probably been months and months ago, about how their PS gave them a prescription each year for up to something like six good supportive bras due to BC/reconstruction.  Now that I'm at the point of finally (YAY!!!) looking forward to real bra shopping, I thought I'd check it out.

I'll PM Lilah if nothing turns up here.  Thanks!

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864

My ins said they would cover 3 per year, but then when I called for more details they said only mastectomy bras. (Aren't ALL my bras now mastectomy?? Whatever.)

I thought I read that Nordstroms might submit for you??? Call and ask.

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

Dulcigirl, not really. "Mastectomy bras" have pockets in them to hold prosthesis/prostheses. All the years I wore them they (forms and bras) were considered considered DME (durable medical equipment). So unsexy. Depending on insurance, some required Rx for the, some would fax the provider directly.

Asked insurance about post-mx bras, the answer was almost a laugh (from them). Hope this helps

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

My Nordstrom wouldn't submit the insurance but the Boutique at the Cancer Center in one of the hospitals took care of it. They didn't have underwires (which I needed) but did have a good selection. 

• Dulcigirl

2nd time, yes, I did not word that well. My mom has been in mastectomy bras/prosthetics for nearly 30 years now, so I knew just what the insurance lady meant. But it was a bummer to get conflicting info from two different people. Maybe I should call again and speak to a third??? Winking

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

Dulcigirl, go for it! What's to lose (but some time), more to gain. Good luck!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,272

I got an RX and my Nordstroms did submit the claim for me for pretty bras after my BMX that were not made to hold a prosthesis.  I'm on Medicare.  I know there was a medical diagnostic code number for the RX.  What was not covered was the compression bra for Lymphadema.  Go figure.  I'll try to dig out the code if someone else doesn't chime in.

• Savedbygod
    Savedbygod Member Posts: 24

I too am on medicare and they denied a compression sleeve for lympadema, makes no sense.

• Dulcigirl

Argue that compression sleeve. I was initially told no. When I asked for an explanation they said "compression socks are not covered since you can buy them at Walmart, etc.". Devil

I said,"These are not SOCKS, they are directly related to my breast cancer surgery. Why are they not covered by the bc law?" They spoke to someone else and I had to go to my PCP and get a script and then the lady at the med supply store submitted it.

Worth a try!!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

I actually personally did not ever do this (insurance coverage for bras).  Even with a prescription it depends on your insurance.  And, actually, at Nordstrom they are very knowledgeable (not surprisingly) about how to work with insurance and how to submit for insurance to cover.  I went with a friend once to Nordstrom.  As I recall my friend had to pay for the bras but Nordstrom helped with the insurance and my friend was reimbursed.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.  It varies with each insurance.  Best thing is to ask your insurance (a) if you are covered and (b) what the code is (so the doctor can write it up).

• Rose63
    Rose63 Member Posts: 91

Hi all! It's been months since I last posted. I had my last surgery (nips) in December. And it's been a whirlwind of busy-ness since then in my life. But recently popped back in, and was so happy to catch up with so many of you old friends.

I did get reimbursed from my insurance for bra's. Here's how it worked for me.

I had my PS write a prescription that said something like 'support bras post BMX'. He looked at me and asked, 'how many should we sign you up for?' So I said, heck, let's go for 8, one for each day of the week and a spare. So that's what he did.

I took that prescription with me to Nordstroms. My fitter (great!) had the insurance forms and filled them out while I tried on bras. She took my credit card number anId explained they would charge that card for anything insurance did NOT cover. I bought 4 (four!) bras that day. A couple of months later the insurance came thru, and they paid about $38 on each as I recall. About a month later Nordstroms charged my credit card for the remainder.

Then I waited till after my nip surgery December 8, and went to Nordstroms when they were having a huge pre-Christmas bra sale. I bought 4 more bra's that day! Again fitter did the paperwork and billed insurance. That time the entire cost was covered. Yahoo!

So by all means ladies, go for it!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,272

Lilah - you're right.  I had to pay for the bras up front at Nordstroms.  They filed with Medicare and i got a reimbursement check.  Don't think it was 100% but every little bit helps.  I know this was only 2011 but since my recurrence I only wear camis and have forgotten so many details.

• artemis
    artemis Member Posts: 105

Hello, Everyone!

I had my exchange last week, and I'm reading this thread with great interest.  

Right now I'm wearing a mastectomy bra from before surgery because it's the only one I have, and it's size 38 C/D,  It fits pretty well, but according to HerRoom.com, I'm a 38 A???  I measured my implants as 9 inches across, and 38 A is what the chart shows unless I'm not looking at it right.

I'm anxious to get an underwire bra since the left side already seems to want to drift sideways and down.  I want that thing pushed up because I don't want to have any revisions.  

There's no Nordstrom near me, (I live in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere), so I'm pretty much on my own for finding the right bra.

Any thoughts and ideas will be greatly appreciated! Happy

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974

Here's my story of bras and insurance.....I called my insurance company, Humana, and after getting quite the runaround found out they cover 6 bras, any type, a year. She gave me some codes that would apply. I think mine was L8000. I then went to my PS and had him write on a prescription pad "6 supportive bras after mastectomy". He'd never even heard that insurance will pay for bras! I then went to Nordstrom and bought 3 bras. They will submit insurance for alot of companies but not Humana so I had to pay up front for the bras. When I got home, I called Humana and they told me how to go to the website and print out a form to submit my claim. I did have to call back to my PS and get my "diagnosis code", whatever that is but it was one of the blanks I had to fill out. I also had to have Nordstrom's tax I.D. number. I filled out the form and submitted. Insurance did accept it. However, I have a $5000 deductible with a big co-pay for out-of-network providers which apparently Nordstrom is. So I didn't get reimbursed but it was applied to my deductible. If I had done all this last year I probably would have gotten back a chunk of the money since all my surgeries were done in 2013 and I easily met my deductible. As it stands, I've had very few doctor bills in 2014 so no actual money back. But! check with your insurance and persists if they say they don't cover it. Humana first said "what? pay for regular bras?!" but I eventually found someone who confirmed they do....6 a year. If you're lucky Nordstrom will submit for you (you can call Nordstrom and find out if they work with your insurance) and if they don't, just submit it yourself. It's just a stamp and a little time!!

• Rose63
    Rose63 Member Posts: 91

That's interesting Lala. Demonstrates again how each insurance company is different.

I should have mentioned my insurance was Blue Cross/Blue Shield of the North West. And I had met all my deductibles and copays (in my surgeries year).

• Headeast
    Headeast Member Posts: 393

does anybody know if Aetna pays for bras or sleeves? 

• sweetandspecial

Lala1 - I bet you're the one I was thinking of when I asked the insurance and bra question.  I remember someone last year mentioning that they got a prescription for 6 bras from their PS but I wasn't at the point of being ready to start shopping at the time.  Thanks so much for chiming in!

• Estel

Artemishttp://www.herroom.com/bra-fitting-advice,901,30….

Because of the width of the implants you will not be an "A" cup.  Using the tool above, with a soft measuring tape, measure around the fullest part of the bust, measure your band size and then subtract the difference and that is your cup size … according to this tool.

This tool didn't work for me, although it does for some.  Remember that reconstructed breasts don't have the projection of natural breasts … that's why us reconstructed gals get some skewed results from using tools like this.  Although it does work for some.  

If your 38 C/D bras work for you, use them.  Read the header above for how a bra should fit … essentially a tight band and make sure that if you choose an underwire, it doesn't impinge anywhere or on the implant.  It needs to encapsulate it … not press on it.

I too live in a rural area but make occasional trips to where there is a Nordstrom, so if that works for you, do it when you get a chance.  My local Dillard's has a pretty good bra selection and they have measured me accurately … so that may be an option too.  Check and see if there are any privately owned bra shops/MX shops in your area.  If none of these options work, go to your local Wal-Mart and just try on bras.  Start with the sizes of the bras you already own, experiment with going down a band size (in your case a 36) and go up and cup size (D or DD in your case) and see how it feels.  Make sure it fits the criteria in the header above … the key here is experiment.  You will never know what works for you unless you try them on and experiment with different sizes.   A hint that you are wearing a wrong band size is if you hook on the bra on the tighest hook.  When picking out a bra, you should have to hook it on the loosest hook because it will stretch out overtime and then you use the tighter hooks.  

You will find that certain brands work better for you than others.  You will also find that different type cups (balcony vs. plunge, etc.,) will work for you better than others.   The confusing thing … and it's just like trying on jeans or shoes … is that you may need to vary the size (band and/or cup) as you look look at different styles and brands.  That's why it is so important to get a fitting.  So, when you're able to get one … that is the best suggestion.  But until then, go and try some on.  If you have a TJ Maxx nearby, you can find good name brands for some great deals.  Remember too, like in shoes or jeans, you do get what you pay for.

Go and try some on!  Smile  Keep us posted on what you find and how you do.

Here are some other helpful tools on finding a great fit:

http://blog.lindasonline.com/2013/09/24/bra-size-b...

http://blog.lindasonline.com/2013/05/17/how-to-mea...

• Estel

Thank you everyone with the great insurance advice/tips. ThumbsUp

• artemis
    artemis Member Posts: 105

Thank you so very much, Dawne Hope!!! ThumbsUp

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235

Wow, so different for everyone!  My BS (not PS) wrote a script for me while I was in TE/early implant phase.  In fact, she is the one that actually brought up the subject.  Nordstom's wouldn't bill my insurance (UMR), but a local mastectomy store did.  However, all their bras were for use with prosthetics, but the little pockets were either so thin they were just like a lining or I was able to snip it out.  Wasn't able to get my insurance to cover name-brand bras from Nordstrom and was basically told if I didn't need a "specialty" bra it wasn't a medical necessity.  I haven't asked about it again, but I'll add it to my question list for my upcoming BS appointment.

• Estel

TinaT - It definitely doesn't hurt to ask. I wonder if it was coded properly if it would go through?  Loopy  

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

Found a new bra that fits my close foobs. Cleo by Panache. I found it at Nordstrum and it is the same sizing as Freya.

• Estel

owl watcher - Yay!!!! Happy  So happy you found something that works!

I like the Cleo by Panache!  They have a lot of fun colors!  

Thanks for the update!  

• Estel

Anyone else have any recent finds/purchases?  Nerdy