Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

2ndtime - Loved the link!  Bras were an after thought for me prior to BC.  I only owned three and was constantly tugging up the straps because I was wearing the wrong size.  It's sad that it took BC for me to really embrace my feminity but it is better late than never.  Smile

• CyndiJW
    CyndiJW Member Posts: 1

Alright, here's my advice to you all:  buy Coobies Bras .  They're only $20 or so each, comfortable as a tank top and provide side, underneath & side support  in soft, elastic/ spandex form.   No under wires, no clasps, they come in bright and neutral colors & many styles.  I like the Scoop Neck style myself.  Currently I have to wear   something 24/7 and my Surgeon says Coobies fit the bill. So, I'm currently living/sleeping in my Zcoobies.  Check them out. *Hugs*

Cyndi

• Estel

Golden01 - Cute, cute, cute!  Happy  Love the Freya swimsuit … and the matching cover-up.  Love!  I'm thinking about getting the blue one.  So CUTE!

And the Chantelle bra … is beautiful! Beautiful!  

Thanks for sharing! Nerdy

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,272

Cyndi - The Coobie 'comfort' looks like something I want.  My problem w/sports bras is the "T" back that shows behind nice clothes, so this might work.  Do they run pretty true to size? 

• Estel

MinusTwo - If Cyndi doesn't respond, I've found the Tomima's tips on herroom.com to be very helpful.  If there is a variance, she will let you know.

I don't see anything here:

http://www.herroom.com/coobie-9060-comfort-bra.sht...

http://www.herroom.com/coobie-9060-comfort-bra.sht...

The reviews are also a good place to see if they tend to fit big/small.

Here is an example of where she tells you the size isn't 'right'

http://www.herroom.com/panache-5726-porcelain-lace...

Scroll down to the bottom, on the right side is where she leaves the tip.

Hope you can find something that works for you.

• minustwo

Thanks Estel.  I've been very happy with Cosabella, but they're harder to find and $50.

http://shop.cosabella.com/Freedom-Bralet.html

And I've decided the Ah Bra digs into my shoulders & rib cage - even the XL although I wear a 10/12 top.  Think I'll try try the Coobie.

• Estel

MinusTwo - Keep us posted!  

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974

MinusTwo--Also try the Bali 3488 bra. It's like a sports bra but has regular bra clasp in the back. You don't have to pull it over your head. I've been wearing this bra since my MX Dec 2013 and can wear it under pretty much everything except maybe the lowest of low cut shirts. It's really great under tshirts since it's the one with very thin padding so your nips don't show. Be sure and get the 3488 style cause the others don't have the padding. I work out at the gym every day either power walking on the treadmill, doing weight training or lots of floor exercises. This bra works great for all of that.

• minustwo

Thanks Lala.  I don't have any nipples & it's way too hot for extra material, but I'll look for the corresponding one w/no padding.

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290

lala1...thanks for suggesting the Bali 3488. I have so far only been comfortable in my Marena's for the gym and Genies (without padding as I find it uncomfortable) the rest of time. Because I cannot wear the Genies with the modesty pads they aren't very flattering. Okay, but nothing great especially now as I am back at work. I managed to find some Bali 3488s in store to try on, and will order some tonight (they did not have my preferred colours). Only thing is I found I had to go up size. I am a 32D or so according to the chart I should be in a S or so, but I found the foam cups in that did not lay or cover breast properly and the ridge from the cups was visible part way over top of my breast. Just can't mold implants into cups like one can with natural tissue! That then shifted the band up too high and left me spilling a bit at armpits. Medium seemed to work well though as the foam cups were larger, as long as I put the band on the tightest hook. Since the bands are stretchy I guess it still works though should be "too big" according to chart. 

I tried some of the unpadded models on (3484) and did not like them, but that may be because my implants are still riding high and it was not as forgiving or smoothing. The padding is really nice and soft anyway!

• emmalou1
    emmalou1 Member Posts: 7

Is anyone interested in an XS symmastia prevention bra by Design Veronique: http://www.makemeheal.com/mmh/product.do?id=35232

I bought it fearing that I was getting symmastia, but fortunately, after revision surgery, I no longer have a need for it.  I wore it three times, and I am happy to give it to someone who truly needs this specially bra.  Since it was an investment, I don't want it to go to waste.

PM if interested, please. I'll take the post down once it's been given away.

• lala1

DiveCat---I'm glad you found the Bali bras. I originally went with a small just after my ex surgery but as everything settled I found I was much better in a M for much of the same reasons. I actually wear mine on the middle hook on a daily basis. I used the loosest one when I had my nip recon so it wouldn't compress it so much. I am a 34DD/36D depending on who you talk to but it doesn't really matter as I can't find a single underwire bra that I can wear for more than a couple of hours. I go to the gym most every day so the Bali works for me anyway. And if I need a fancy bra for a special occastion (which is very rare) I figure I can just suck it up and wear the only underwire I found that I can stand for a short while which is the Wacoal Pure Couture. Thank God for the Bali 3488!!

• DiveCat

lala1...

I was a 32DD before surgery and have worn good quality fitting underwires for a long time (Chantelle, etc) so know they can actually be really comfortable for hours and hours on end if they fit right, but the thought of even trying an underwire now gives me a visceral reaction. Perhaps because I had IMF incisions and my skin is a bit hypersensitive in areas so all my brain can think of is "soft only please!".  I am still pretty early out so perhaps that will change and I'll go in to the specialty/mx shop here for a new fitting. My PS seems to be one of those "wear whatever is comfortable to you as long as it fits you" types, even if that is nothing. I do have Alloderm so have that internal support as well so maybe that is why he is not terribly particular.

I can still wear my pre-surgery 32DD wireless Shock Absorbers for the gym once I start running again as they are so stretchy and compressive (which is good, as I have 4 of them and do not want to have to start a sports bra search now as well, as it took me years to find ones that worked before!) but the Marena's are enough support for the walking/elliptical/spin I do right now.  As for fancy things...ha, I definitely don't have many fancy occasions to go to. In the past, because my natural breasts were large and needed support, I was really limited in terms of necklines, straps and such. Now I guess I could just stick some pasties on and go if it is only for a few hours.Smile I wear a dress about 1x every 4-5 years (and that is really not an exaggeration), so not something I am too worried about right now!

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

I think every woman must do what they feel comfortable doing but a lot of plastic surgeons do say nothing about the bra situation as mine did so I would not  look to them for advice since most of them are men as well. it is a situation where you have to buy wear and then decide for yourself what works for you since many of us have different types of implants.But I must say the products recommended here have worked the best for me.

• lala1

We must have the same PS, DiveCat! ;) Mine said wear whatever I want. I'm a UMX so no bra isn't an option and like you, my MX side screams for soft, especially where my drains were. I also have Alloderm so I'm not too worried about the implant in the Bali bra, even if it ends up being all I can wear. As much as I'd love to get into a really hot underwire, if I can get to the point where I can wear an underwire for a couple of hours for special occasions, I'd be ok. Also like you, I put a dress on very rarely. As a matter of fact, I think the last time I wore a dress was over 10 years ago!! I'm not one for real girly clothes.....jeans and workout clothes are about all I need.

I do wear the Bali bra for power walking but am starting to think I should look into better sports bras. Don't know how strong that Alloderm is!!

• minustwo

Love the dress discussion.  I last wore a dress to an outside wedding in Hawaii in 2008 - long & sleeveless & cotton w/a stretchy top & a small jacket. Before my BMX so I had to wear a bra for sagging breasts.  For so many years I searched for cute dresses and there were none to be had.  Now there are lots - but they're way too young for me (although my brain sometimes doesn't snap to that easily).  I was horrified (or maybe gratified) to find that I no longer have even one pair of panty hose in my dresser.  Gee - what if I had an emergency?  I'm way too old to go bare-legged with a dress.  But then again, although I saved several dresses I will probably end up in pants or a long skirt. 

• hjpz
    hjpz Member Posts: 215

Hi - I am new to this thread so forgive me if this has been asked a bunch of times! I know there are some recommendations on this thread about where to buy bras online but I was wondering if anyone has had any luck in any department stores where someone can fit you and/or you can try them on first.  I do not live close to a Nordstrom's but I have access to a lot of other stores in the town where I live and I am not good at sizing myself so until I know my actual size and bra type that look best with my new implants I was hoping to go somewhere in person first to get some help.  Suggestions?

• minustwo

hjpz - welcome.  Someone here works at Soma - maybe Carol2?  They's chime in.  Also there are ladies here who have had nipple recon that you were asking about.

• hjpz

Thanks Minustwo!  I have a Soma store within 2 blocks of my house but have never been there.  I will look at their website!

• Estel

hjpz - My local Dillards fit me correctly.  Do you have any privately owned bra shops in town?  Those can be good too.  

I would recommend buying a soft measuring tape and measuring under your 'breasts' or 'foobs.'  So many of us were wearing the wrong size bra before BC it is helpful to know our ribcage circumference.  Your band size should be no bigger than 4 inches than that measurement.  So, say your ribcage circumference is 31 1/2 inches … your band size would be a 34.  I was shocked to learn that my ribcage was 28 inches and for years I'd been wearing a 34 band.  Ridiculous!  No wonder my straps were always falling down.  Know that your cup size will probably be larger than you think because of the width of implants.  Some of us wear a band that is only two inches larger than our measurement … so I wear a 30 band.  Depending on your size … may not department stores carry your size and that is why the online sites are so helpful.  Good luck and keep us posted on how you do.

Here is a helpful link on how a bra should fit;

http://blog.lindasonline.com/2013/09/24/bra-size-b...

• minustwo

Estel - great site.  Thanks for the link.

• hjpz

Thanks Estel!  I tried measuring myself last weekend and failed miserably ( every bra I tried in that size did NOT fit)  but I can try again.  I also might try the Soma store next to my house at least to get the correct size the first time.   Thanks again. 

• hjpz

Hey I went to Soma and got fitted and bought 2 bras :)  Woot!

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

Dang, accidentally removed this from My Favs!

Just thinking of all of you:

• hjpz

Love it!

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Made me smile. I never bought expensive bras until I  got BC. Now, I have a wonderful collection. Love my new pink Chantelle Sexy C Chic!

• DiveCat

I posted this first link in another thread today:

http://www.brasizecalculator.tk/

Here is the link for how to take the measurements: http://i.imgur.com/lAWWlll.png

This is a calculator very recently developed by a reddit member on http://www.reddit.com/r/abrathatfits and is one of best online calculators I have found. It is based on the measurement guide from the subreddit and takes various measurements into account instead of just the snug underbust and overbust measurements. You can read about how the calculator works and how it considers the measurements at that first link. For me it seemed very accurate even with implants based on what I have tried on so far, (and does not do the dreaded +4 to band!) though my measurements with implants did not vary a lot from standing, leaning, to laying. It also gives you the sister sizes to try, and will make recommendations to go up or down a size depending on how "squishy" or "boney" you are at your ribcage.

Now, as many here have implants you still need to consider cup styles and the width/shape of your breasts too. It is worth checking out the reddit subhead and the guides on size to learn what brands run wider in wire, shallower in cup. etc. This one for example:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/shape_guide

You can also post on reddit for measurement checks, fit checks, etc. You don't have to tell them you have reconstruction, but it might help them to make recommendations.

I also think this link at http://i.imgur.com/2UVzC.png is handy; it is a chart that lists wire widths in brands from narrow to wide, as I know for some women finding a wide or narrow enough wire is difficult. For me, though I have implants, I think I actually need a narrow wire, the Wacoal wires I tried just did not work right for me as they are too wide. Before surgery I also need a narrow wire as I carried my tissue more to the front (Chantelle & Freya worked well for me before even though the former uses French sizing, and the latter uses UK sizing, and I am going to try them again!)

And for anyone obsessed about "bra-ology" as I am, check out this link which will send you down a rabbit hole of links and information!:

http://www.venusianglow.com/p/bra-matrix.html

• DiveCat

Golden01, Chantelle was my favourite pre-surgery, and I have ordered a couple sizes of the C-Chic plunges to try and see if they will work for me now too! If they do I'll buy some more. I tried Wacoal as they were so raved about for reconstructed breasts, but the wires are just way too wide for my shape.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

My new ones are wide so I do have a couple of Wacoal's that fit well. I find the Wacoal Sports Bra keeps everything in place as I head out for my morning walk. On sale at Herroom and they have a couple of new colors. I better head out for that walk or I might start shopping. 

http://www.herroom.com/wacoal-855170-sports-underw...