Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864

Me!!! Had to replace my sports bra after my revision. Best sports bra ever!!!! (Loved it the first time and saved up to get another in my new size.) Very supportive AND lets you still have two boobs!!! Lol. 

http://www.herroom.com/bendon-76-408-extreme-out-t...

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

I am loving the new Beautifully Cool bra at soma. It gives a great shape to my kind of flat looking upper pole. 

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Dulcigirl - Yay!  I love the Bendon too!  Happy

Carrol2 - Is this the one you're talking about?  http://www.soma.com/store/browse/shelf.jsp?cat=Br...

If not, post a link so we can see too.  Smile

Thanks for sharing!  

Anyone else find something fabulous recently?  Nerdy

• Dulcigirl

Got this one, too. Another favorite style from my first exchange, but in my new size and in my favorite color. (Wacoal calls it "Poseidon.") Hides the recon nips, stays put and gives a great shape. 

http://www.wacoal-america.com/la-femme-underwire-t...

• Estel

Dulcigirl - I've recently tried that one on...so pretty!  It's great that it works so well for you! The only reason I didn't get it was that it was right around tax time. Smile

Thanks for sharing! 

Anything else? Winking

• Dulcigirl

Well...I got mine on Ebay. NWT at a fraction of the in store cost. Yay, me!!!!

• Estel

Yes, indeed!  Happy

Smart woman!  xo

• Estel

Just ran across this article:  "Why Bras Are Like Shoes"  It's fun and it's TRUE!  :)  

http://www.tomima.com/2008/04/24/why-bras-are-like...

• artemis
    artemis Member Posts: 105

I went to Belk and got a couple of Bali bras.  I got a 36 band size as you suggested, DawneHope, and the underwires fit nicely around my implants without pushing them out to the sides.

It's this one in case anyone's interested:

Bali Bra

Artemis 

• Estel

Artemis - Yay!  Happy 

Glad it works for you!  Thanks for sharing!  So happy you found something.  

• Estel

I have a new favorite sports bra.  The one Dulcigirl posted above is in my top 3,  the Bendon Max Out. http://www.herroom.com/bendon-73-408-max-out-tech...

Another one is the Panache 5021.  The thing I absolutely love about it is the padded hooks in the back.  I do a lot of floor work for Pilates and core work and sometimes on other bras I can feel the hooks when I'm doing work on the floor.  Not on the Panache. 

This one is my most recent favorite find: http://www.herroom.com/panache-5021-full-busted-u...

Another else have a new favorite find?  

• Carrol2

dawn yes that was it

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

Dulcigirl what size is your new la femme?

• Dulcigirl

34DD

That seems to be my size in any Wacoal. (I have Awareness and La Femme.)

FYI: For me, the bands on those two bra styles run tight. I like them that way and they are comfortable after a couple of wears.

• Estel

herroom is having a 20% off sale.

Use code: friends20

http://www.herroom.com

• Estel

Carrol - Thanks!  I too have upper pole fulness issues (lack of) … so good to know.  Thank you.  I like it too that it has straps and you could wear it with those too.  

Anyone else found something fabulous recently?  Happy

• Previvor101
    Previvor101 Member Posts: 126

question for those out there.... How soon after exchange should I go out and get fitted? Surgery was 8 days ago. I have been wearing a compression bandage and a non underwire loose sports bra? I have silicon anatomicals which apparently don't drop and fluff. No infra mammary incision but have a bit of bruising on the right from the pocket work. Have had a look at Herroom but think I should actually go in and get fitted so I font buy the wrong size. Any ideas?

• Estel

Previvor101 - You could go fitted tomorrow, if you'd like.  The author of this thread, Val61, got fitted within two days of her exchange.  Others of us wait.  Know that if you go fitted now that your size may change as your swelling goes down in the weeks ahead.  Your band and cup size may go down but know that for some of us, it didn't.  It depends on your body and how it reacts to surgery and trauma.  

Know too that your cup size is probably going to be larger than you think in order to accommodate the width of implants.  If you have the Allergen 410 implants … some of the ladies who have them … have found it more difficult to find bras that work … so don't give up if you find that to be true. 

If there is a Nordstrom nearby, the ideal thing to do is call and make an appointment with a 'surgical fitter.'  They are trained to help women like us.  

The decision is up to you.  It isn't too soon but I wouldn't invest in more than a couple if you get fitted now because your size may change in the weeks ahead.  

• Carrol2

I really think you should talk to your doctor about getting fitted and what kind of bra is right for you. They all seem to have different opinions and everyone's situation does not call for the same thing. I think a lot of us don't think to ask a doctor this question.

• Estel

Of course we should listen to our docs.  

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,272

I agree about asking your doc.  I have 410s and am really sorry I spent money on a couple of nice bras before 6 months.  Can't wear any of them!!  Unless you have a major function to attend that requires a special bra, I wouldn't rush.

• Previvor101

thanks guys. I asked my surgeon and she said get a good fitting sports bra to stop them moving. My local department store has 40% off Berlei bras today so I might try to get at least 2 to keep me going. Unfortunately I am in Australia so don't have access to Nordstroms but will be in the US in September so might do it then!

Thanks for input and opinions. It really helps. 

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,272

Previvor - I've been very happy with Danskin sports bras from WalMart.

• Previvor101

thanks minus two but no walmart in Australia! 

Went to 2 department stores and had both my sister and mother (both who have had bilateral mastectomies) doing all the ferrying of different sizes and squeezing and prodding. In the end found 2 that fit really well: the Triumph triaction competitive crossover and the Berlei ultimate performance. Exhausting discouraging and very unfun but made it! The girl in the store was trying to talk me out of underwire but after my extensive reading here, I ignored her!

• Dulcigirl

Previvor, so glad you had family support with you. And glad you found something!! My first shopping trip was exhausting and emotional!!!!! It does get easier. Nordstroms in September will be something to look forward to. Lol. Things should be settled by then. The nice thing for me now is that I've found a brand and couple of styles  that fit well and are comfy. So now I can order online if I need another. 

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

good morning, ladies. This popped up on my FB page this morning. I'm not necessarily promoting her line of bras, but I like this woman's philosophy: bras for those who have had BC, she's "one of us." Some of you more experienced in this area, please let me know your thoughts.

http://blog.thebreastcancersite.com/owner-of-anaon...

Maybe worth looking into?

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

2ndTimeAround - Thank you for the link, I loved her words. I never knew how hard it would be to buy underwear! 

DawneHope - Thank you for the heads up about the HerRoom sale. I got a great new bathing suit and a new pretty pink bra delivered yesterday both with 20% off! 

• Carrol2

thanks for the link 2nd time. It is an issue we don't often discuss . . . our sexuality. This process def takes it's toll on how we feel as romantic partners and sexual beings for so many reasons even long after treatment is completed.

• Estel

Golden01 - Glad to help.  Happy  lol!  What did you get?