Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Options

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    Options

Here's the list for Breast Implants 101. Be sure to read the entire heading before posting.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topics...

• minustwo
    Options

I think you would have a better response to your question about 'drop & fluff' on one of the Exchange threads. Here are the links to two of them.

TE's a Beginner's Primer

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topics/819027?page=92#idx_2757

Exchange City

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topics/728266?page=1314#idx_39396

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    Options

Eschindler, thank you for the mention of the Anaono bras. Mine came today. Hopefully it keeps from leaving makes like my sports bra seems to.

• RG59
    RG59 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I had a left mastectomy recently, reconstruction in process, and was in desperate need of a front closure bra with good support for my remaining 40D breast, The first 10 different stretchy bras I tried were terrible--no support, saggy, not enough coverage, etc. Then I tried the RxBra, size L/XL.. BLISS! Lots of support but not snug, good coverage, front closure, COMFORTABLE, and a nice 3 inch band underneath. I wish I could go braless, but it is just not an option! Even the post-op camisole was pretty useless for walking around b/c it gave my remaining breast no support. As soon as the drain was out I started looking for a comfy supportive bra and the RXBra is amazing.

• minustwo
    Options

Thanks for the recommend. I see they are $89 on Amazon. It wouldn't work for me because I need more coverage up my back & my underarms due to truncal LE.

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352
    Options

Hello, guys!

I'm one week post-exchange and reading prior posts with interest. My question: my PS recommended sports bra, NO wire (I have IMF incisions) but I question: how much compression? She said not too tight and not too "loosey-goosey". Yes, really. I have two sports bras -- and one I feel is too tight, the other maybe too loose. Omg. I ordered a couple of things from Amazon and am headed out to shop a little today. Right now, I kinda need front zipper or closure due to some pain/tenderness.

Is the point to just keep the implants from shifting/moving? (Again, I had pocket work to bring the TEs closer and get them out of armpit -- and one had dropped and was lifted. Also had some scar tissue removed.)

I plan to get a proper fitting at Nordstrom in a couple of months or so. My insurance covers something.

Thanks for the advice!!!

• minustwo
    Options

EastCoast - I got inexpensive sports bras at WalMart. Most were Danskin. The front closure variety that I wore at first were Fruit of the Loom I think. I did wear my surgical bra/camisole from the doc for several weeks before switching. And I didn't go to Nordstroms for a couple of months just to make sure all the swelling & healing was done. Good luck.

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    Options

My PS would not allow me to wear a bra for quite a while because I had nipple sparing direct to implant. He did not want any pressure on my breasts at all. When he finally said ok to a light support bra he said it should feel just like you are gently cupping your breasts. So you can feel it but not really compressing anything. I found the jockey bras at Target with the cup removed work great. They are very soft. Not sure I feel that will work for you since it is not front close.

https://www.target.com/p/jky-174-by-jockey-women-s-seamfree-174-tank-strap-bralette-white-m/-/A-50984053?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Women+Shopping_Brand&adgroup=SC_Women&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=1019425&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI49bwwO-k1gIVk4NpCh0hvQUlEAQYASABEgJOAfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• minustwo
    Options

It's so hard to figure out why every PS has different rules. Lego's said no bra. Mine said bra 24 hours a day with firm support.

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261
    Options

I'm just back from follow up with PS. She wants firm compression 24/7 for 6 weeks following implant revision and fat grafting. I ordered a couple of zip front Jockey sports bras from Amazon. They are $34 each and have no underwire as that is contraindicated until my new implants soften and settle.

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 855
    Options

I have been mainly wearing Carefix Mary style bra since last Saturday when the PS removed bandages from the Friday surgery. Once day I wore an Amoena front hook cotton post op bra but is doesn't have the compression and the swelling got out of control that day...all bras available on Amazon

http://www.carefix.eu/products/post-surgical-bras/...

• eastcoastts
    Options

Thanks, guys, for chiming in. I got a zip front Danskin Sports and one that is not zip front -- and 2 Genie type (step into) that are fairly conforming but not totally uncomfortable. All Walmart purchases. Darn, they have a ton of bras!

Part of my dilemma is that before BC, I did not have to wear bras (small-chested) unless I wanted to and after NP-BMX, was told the same as Lego. Nothing to touch them. No bra, etc. That because it could compromise the blood flow to the nipples and remaining skin, I think. So I've been no bra for a long time - just tank tops and camisoles. Feel constricted now. But part of that is healing from pocket work, too, I'm guessing.

But anything better than TEs!!!!!!!! SillyHeart

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 855
    Options

Hi Eastcoast, the genie bra looks a lot like to coobie bras I got post MX as my go to sports bra for exercise class...never thought of that as something I could step into...I should try that as it would increase my rotation of compressiony bras. I have another week of 23/7 bra wearing...only not while I shower. I don't see PS until 2 weeks after that, so plan to move to less confining bras, but continue wearing one as much as I can stand for some time to come...

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214
    Options

Hi ladies,

I'm 6 months post exchange Ive got my coobie bras, sorts bras w front zipper, and even the wireless warner bras from kohls. My doc has cleared me for everything bra...I have some with wires even but it has been a def process. The cotton wireless warners are one of my favs because of the cut it doesn't show regardless of my shirt.

Oh yeah I do have one to step into as well, it just depends on the day and how I'm feeling. I can tell you this much my implants are still changing, I noticed some settling in the last couple of weeks...they seem to have evened out.

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377
    Options

I too am 6 months sense my Exchange and I just got a call from Vinnie Myers to get my 3D tattoos and all of a sudden I have a big divot in my right breast that was the one that I previously with my first breast cancer had radiation so my plastic surgeon says that he can do it with just a scar revision that it's really just underneath this scar that has the divot so bummer I have to be Barbie for I don't know how long I have to wait for nipples. I have not been fitted yet but I'm wanting to have an underwire bra. I can't believe how well my breast finally look at first they look like square Bob sponge pants now they've softened they've rounded out and they have just come down a little bit. So I am here to testify it they really take months to do their final reveal!

• minustwo
    Options

Linda - thanks for posting. It's always good to reinforce that shapes do resolve with time. Sorry you have to wait on the trip to Vinnie's. As for bras, I was so relieved to finally get rid of the things that I just wore bralettes for a long time. But eventually I did make an appointment with Nordstroms and had a great fitter bring me a ton of bras to try that I never would have thought about.

• mrssoul
    mrssoul Member Posts: 3
    Options

I like True & Co "body" bras (not the push up styles) Especially to sleep in. So comfortable! https://trueandco.com/bras/true-co/true-body-v-neck-bra/5607

• GardenGirl11
    GardenGirl11 Member Posts: 7
    Options

I’m 5 days post recon and my PS sent me home in a Marena Recovery 3436 that I’m supposed to wear 24/7 until my appointment tomorrow, andmaybe longer. They told me to keep the bra on the tightest setting, but goodness I'm uncomfortable. The bra is so tight (or I’m swollen) that the decorative gathering in the center are leaving dented impressions on my boobs. I hope my PS is one that tells me I can go braless after healing. I didn’t like bras before breast cancer and now I can’t stand anything pressing into my sides (which is where I have the most pain). Post bmx and pre-recon I finally found a bra I like after trying several: the Miel bra. I found it on Anthropologie’s website during their Christmas sales. I hope to get back into it soon!

• notthrilled
    notthrilled Member Posts: 19
    Options

I have two reasonable condition Anita 42 B/C compression bras white style 1094 (velcro straps, zipper front). I'm usually a 38, so not sure why it is such a large size. I would be happy to send one to the first two people who ask - send a private message on this site with your address. I paid enough for them and I'd be happy to gift them to a sister warrior instead of just giving them to GoodWill. I couldn't find another place to donate them. I wore them for a couple of months..

• eastcoastts
    Options

I got my prescip for post-BMX bras. Aetna apparently pays for 2-4 a year. And making the appt with Nordstrom.

Thanks for the advice here. Check your insurance to see if it's covered. Nordstrom submits and does all for you. Some may not even need the prescrip. That is insurance based decision.

;)

• notthrilled
    Options

Great advice EastcoastTS! Insurer says they will pay for the "extra" bra I paid out of pocket for at hospital store ($130). And I'm going to make an appointment at Nordstrom too.

• eastcoastts
    Options

We deserve cute/well-fitting bras after all this BS!!! Happy

• Shoregirl
    Shoregirl Member Posts: 338
    Options

^^ Amen!! ^^

• Lalala1
    Lalala1 Member Posts: 14
    Options

After my surgery i was given a berlei post op bra which was great and easy to put on with clasps at the front and back and no wires.

Since bilateral reconstruction i have found that my old wire bras do not fit at all. They all sit kind of lower which was very uncomfortable.

I have since found that a bandeau top is all i need. I will have a look into some wireless bras in the future. One benefit of the mastectomy and reconstruction is not having to wear a underwire bra!

• Dark13
    Dark13 Member Posts: 50
    Options

Are there any strapless bras out there for those of us with breast forms?

• shimmergal
    shimmergal Member Posts: 2
    Options

For direct to implant procedures with the Alloderm sling, what bra advice have y'all been given? Do you still need to wear a bra for the first 3 months or so to prevent implant migration and then you're good to go without one?

• minustwo
    Options

Shimmer - every doc gives different advice so it's important to check with your BS & PS. I didn't have alloderm, but I was told I wouldn't need a bra after the first 3 months. I wore only bralettes until my recurrence. Since the second surgery I have continued to wear a compression bra 24/7 due to lymphadema.

• notthrilled
    Options

Anthem just denied paying for my extra post mastectomy bra from the hospital's "boutique" as Out of Network. Don't you just love it?

FYI now that my pecs are settling down, I am really liking these tank tops (link below) for sleeping. They make me feel pretty. Not alot of support if you are bigger than me(38B) but really comfy (get xxl for size 16).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JD2RS6O/ref

• Dark13
    Dark13 Member Posts: 50
    Options

I am looking for a strapless bra 36A....left mastectomy. Can any one help?

• Sweet_Pea
    Sweet_Pea Member Posts: 90
    Options

Has anyone tried the PillowBra for sleeping or sports?

https://www.pillowbra.com/