Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Options

Comments

• robinblessed54
    robinblessed54 Member Posts: 485
    Options

kingster, glad it went well at work! I go back Monday. My glue is still the whole length of incision. I agree, it can take its time.

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290
    Options

Last time my glue was still there in parts almost a month later. It's a good thing for it to be there a while. It will come off when it's not needed :)

I am envious you get to wear regular bras...all the lovely Panache ones I got after my first surgery no longer will fit me :( - and I am under instruction to wear my surgical bras/sports bras "as much as possible" for at least 4 weeks. My surgical bras are super comfy and lower cut at least, but the wide straps make picking out my clothes interesting!

• robinblessed54
    robinblessed54 Member Posts: 485
    Options

Divecat, are your sport bras wire free? I can't wear wires. Believe me, this may look like a "regular" bra, but it is industrial and holds them tight. I hope it works like a sport bra, the ones I have put dents in me! I have to wear it for 6 weeks!!

• mjh1
    mjh1 Member Posts: 263
    Options

robinblessed - I found the Genie bras worked the best for me especially becaue my incision was IMF.  They were nice and snug yet very comfortable.  I even slept in them for the first month.

• kingster
    kingster Member Posts: 289
    Options

Divecat, what type of implant did you have before? What did you get now? I got mentor memory gels 700ml both. S

• DiveCat
    Options

Yup wire free for now.

My surgical bras leave marks - it's not harmful or anything though, and hey fit properly. ....even after my last surgery I joked about my Silly Putty breasts. My pretty lace bras would leave pretty lace imprints...Winking

• DiveCat
    Options

Kingster...

I had 435cc Allergan Natrelle Inspiras...I am in Canada where these seem to be commonly used. They are high profile smooth silicone rounds, similar to the Style 20s in the US.

I now have 450g Allergan 410s (aka gummies), moderate profile, moderate height. They end up being 1cm wider, 0.1cm shorter, and with 0.3cm more projection than my previous ones :)

• tiddlywinks
    tiddlywinks Member Posts: 11
    Options

Just had lipo underarms and above breast on thursday...also exchanged implants for more projecting ones. Should I be wearing an ace bandage for compression. My underams and sides are more swollen and fat than before surgery. I was sent home in a pretty loose front closing mastectomy bra. I thought about wrapping an ace bandage around, but afraid will squash my implants. I have cuts from inner breast all the way to back on each side. Stability would be nice, but I don't want to mess up implant positioning. Any tips?

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    Options

tiddlywinks - The best tips I can give you so soon after surgery is to follow your PS's instructions. Take care and heal up! Love and gentle hugs to you.

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915
    Options

Estel, This is off the subject of bras, but I am wondering if your direct to implants went well. My PS suggested I do that as I have implants now and am having a BMX. My implants are old. Can I go a little bigger since I will be losing my breast tissue. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Lynn

• mysunshine48
    Options

Oh, Estel, I just read again.....you must not have gone direct. I thought when it said immediate reconstruction, that was what you meant.....but I guess not. Sure would like to know about this from anyone who has gone direct to implants.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    Options

Sunshine - try reading some of the thread Breast Recon 101 and the thread Exchange City.

• mysunshine48
    Options

OK, I will, thanks!

• minustwo
    Options

Sunshine - if you can't find the threads, let me know. I wasn't direct, but know there are ladies who have been there.

• mysunshine48
    Options

I did go to the threads but did not see any posts about going direct to implants. Yes, if you could help me locate some women to ask about this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

• Estel
    Options

mysunshine48 - Here is a link to the breast implant sizing 101 https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/...

Whippetmom is the author of that thread and she is very knowledgeable. If you private message her she might be able to put you in contact with someone who has been in a similar situation. I had a DMX with TE placement … that's what I meant by 'immediate reconstruction' I did not go direct to implant. As minus two mentioned, there are women who have so I hope you can find someone to help you. whippetmom is a great resource person.

• mjh1
    Options

mysunshine - what kind of BMX are you having?  I had nipple-sparing and at the time of my 1st consult when we were discussing MX's my PS said he doesn't like to do direct-to implants just because of the potential complications and as Murphy seems to have my number on speed dial I chose the TE route.  Of course, this does not mean you but I would ask the PS how many direct to he's done and how many of those there have been complications with. 

• DiveCat
    Options

my sunshine...

I had direct to implant, no complications, and am very happy I went that route. You can Private Message me with any questions, I've posted about it around the forums but it might be a pain for you to search those out!

• minustwo
    Options

sunshine - I was astounded to see when I went to All Topics and then Breast Reconstruction that there are 308 pages of threads. Wow. When I'm looking for something specific I usually go to Active Topics and find one with lots of activity and start reading past posts sporadically. Some threads that were relevant, I actually started at the beginning and in some cases read hundreds of pages.

Estel has given you the link to Whippetmom and that thread is an excellent place to start reading and post.

Here is the other thread I mentioned – Exchange City. I know there have been discussions about direct implants on this thread so you could read back & also post your question.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/...

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164
    Options

Hi everyone!!!!!  I had my reconstruction on Feb 24; still in the strap 24/7 but got the OK to wear my sports bras as well - when all the BC started, the only bra that was comfy for me was Bali Revolution Wireless (looks like a sports bra). 

The BC breast is still really swollen and taking quite a while to soften up and I have some swelling on the side so even though I have Bali in XL (used to wear on the tightest hook, now wear on the largest hook - not sure if that is because of implant sizing or just swelling) it gets tight.  I am going back to work in two weeks......maybe the swelling will be gone by then, not sure.  If any of you experienced this, what did you do?  Find support cami's?  I don't want to get measured for another month or so until my BC side settles down.

I ordered three Coobie's to see if they work better.

• mjh1
    Options

dogs - not really sure why it would be still really swollen a month post-op.  By this time, most of your swelling should be gone.  Maybe your implant hasn't settled yet which can take time.  I found the most comfortable for me were the Genie bras. 

• Estel
    Options

Dogs - I agree with mjh1. What has your P.S. said about the swelling? I would check with them to see what they think and what they would recommend. I really like the Marena bras because they provide compression as well.

https://www.marenagroup.com/comfortwear/product/co...

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164
    Options

MJH and Estel,

Thank you so much for responding.  The BC side is definitely taking a lot longer to settle; still not very soft but it is getting better.  My next follow up is April 7 and I will see what the surgeon says.  Meanwhile, I am going to try a different bra for sure, ordered a few Coobie bras and will check out the two you have both recommended.

Happy

• Elizabethaw
    Elizabethaw Member Posts: 165
    Options

I've finally found a brand that fits me! The "parfait by Affinitas" bras come in the right size for my little rib cage (it's 27"), and the DDs are shallow enough that they fit my implants well. Before surgery I wore a 32B--but that was certainly not the right size. I didn't even know you could get 28 or 30 bands. I'm wearing a 30DD right now, and it fits comfortably and is snug.

• Estel
    Options

Elizabethaw - Yay! Happy

Happy for you! I didn't know about 28 or 30 bands either prior to breast cancer. I generally wear a 30D in most brands.

Which particular bra by "Parfait by Affinitas" did you get?

I only recently tried that brand and I'm liking this one right now.

http://www.herroom.com/parfait-by-affinitas-6901-c...

So, so happy for you. Thanks for sharing!

• Elizabethaw
    Options

Thanks, Estel. Right after I posted that I had a funny "Why am I posting this? It sounds like an ad" feeling. I hope it's useful to someone...

I'm wearing the "casey" (2801)--it's my favorite. http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2012021/parfait-b...

I also own the "jeanie" (4801), and although I like it, I don't like it as much as casey. No real reason; it just seems to rub me a bit. I just received a little blue version of the bra in your post ("charlotte"), and it's adorable! The description says it's padded, but mine isn't. Is yours?

I have the "kitty" (2101) coming any day now.

Yeah, I may have gone a little overboard! : )

Kohls is my favorite place to buy stuff because you can get 30% off and free shipping for some times every month if you have their credit card. If you don't have the card, they still usually have 15% off coupons. (Ha ha, now that sounds like an ad too!)

• Estel
    Options

Elizabethaw - It's pretty!

We learn from each other so post away. We're all different, and what works for one, doesn't work for someone else so we're all learning from each other. Thanks for posting for works. It really can and does help others. I wouldn't have the bra collection I have now if it weren't for the ladies on here. Winking

Seriously, though, I had chronic pain and a well fitted bra was the only thing that alleviated it for about a year … so I found this thread to be immensely helpful. I had no clue about bras prior to breast cancer and my P.S. didn't know anything either … so it was a real life-saver to come here and find out what worked for others. Thanks for sharing.

I'm a little jealous you were able to get the blue in 'Charlotte.' I can't find it in my size. I agree…it isn't padded the way I am used to a padded bra looking and feeling. It is lined but I wouldn't call it padded. It gives my girls some 'oomph' that I miss from my natural ones. Love the retro look too. :)

Can you get the 28 and 30 bands at Kohls? I have never been able to find the smaller band sizes at that store but it has been a couple of years since I checked. Thanks for the tips. That's why this thread is here. Heart

• Elizabethaw
    Options

Update: the blue Charlotte is actually too small for me in the cups. I was going to wear it anyway (cause it's cute!), but I figured that the "quadboob" problem was more than just cosmetic. It can't be good for the implants to be pushed down across the top like that. It's odd--the other 3 parfait bras fit just fine in 30DD. I just ordered a 30E in the blue Charlotte, so we'll see if that fits.

And yes, Kohl's does have the 28 and 30 bands! I'm finding it to be by far the cheapest place to buy those small band sizes.

Also, I'm liking the "Champion show-off" sports bra. I run, and it's really comfortable, very supportive.

P.S. Estel, Kohl's does have a charlotte in blue in 30D...

• Estel
    Options

Elizabethaw - Good to know, thanks for the tip.

My foobs are very shallow and I have trouble filling out the cups of a lot of 30D's. I need the "D" cup because of the width. I think that is one reason I like the Charlotte so much it really gives me some upper pole fullness that I miss from my natural breasts.

My favorite sports bra is this Panache:

http://www.herroom.com/panache-5021-full-busted-un...

Thanks again for the tips about Kohl's. :)

• sherry67
    sherry67 Member Posts: 370
    Options

Did anyone else have to wear the Marena post op bra after revision?