Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Options

Comments

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969
    Options

Way to go, Waldo!  And another yippee for Nordstrom's!  We should create some kind of partnership with them!

My ps has all his recon patients get fitted there - he even does trainings with them periodically so they know what kind of fit he wants.  Pretty cool.  And the nurse checking the bra isn't weird to me - except in my case, it's my PS who checks it out along with the nurse!  The weirdest thing was when he had to help me get it hooked after a post-op appt when I couldn't move my arms yet!  

Love the china dish analogy.....don't be afraid to be equated to a broken dish.....consider all those beautiful antique dishes with little cracks......they're sometimes the most desirable!

Have a good day, ladies!  Off to my 2nd exercise class for the day!

• waldo
    waldo Member Posts: 145
    Options

Val, I wasn't told to limit my arms- no heavy lifting or carrying or cleaning but that was it.  I will try to limit arm movement. I did ask about massage and I was told a big NO!!! 

Deborah, a question about ebay bras- do you ever buy them new without tags?  I know when you buy something at Nordstrom a thousand other people may have tried it on, But I just need a little push to buy one on ebay. And is there a specific seller you can recommend on ebay????

• waldo
    Options

Val, I'm a part time fitness instructor too; I teach spin- how long before your doc gave you the ok to get back in there after the exchange.  I may end up a D or DD- What bra do you use for high-med impact?  I looked at the ta-ta tamer but it only goes up to D.

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196
    Options

val~ Thanks for the great post!  My PS has said nil about bras but I just got my TE's in and haven't worn anything but a cami yet (other than the compression wrap I went home in).

Binney~ My BS (post-mx) told me no underwires never, ever again because of my SNB (+ a few extra nodes).  I have yet to talk to my PS about bras.  Thanks so much for your information about LE.  I really fear it... I don't have it but have had some *mild* swelling of my fingers of the SNB side... just enough to make me worry. LOL! 

Val and waldo~ I'm not a fitness instructor but I exercise a lot.  My PS said walking was OK during expansion 'till I got to 6 weeks after the TE's were put in.  After that, he said spinning, elliptical, hi/lo (done low impact), step on a low height with no propulsion, and walking were OK 'till exchange.  We're still "discussing" strength training.  He said no running 'till 6 weeks post-exchange. I had my TE's put in on 5/28 and started walking slooooowly by memorial day (I *think* I was supposed to wait 2 weeks but couldn't stand it).  Now that the drains are out, I'm walking 2-3 miles a day but at a pretty slow pace... What were you guys told to do regarding exercise??

I just love this thread (and the implant size one!!!). What a wealth of information!!

xxoo

• waldo
    Options

Michele, I had my TE's put in on 3/29 and was given the green light to exercise at my 4 week post op. Iwas told I could do anything including running but I needed to wear a really good support bra.  I did not run and push ups and doing advanced yoga was too painful- but, speedwalking, elliptical, spinning, pilates worked after 4 weeks

Now I am back to square 1- one week post exchange.  I want to be careful and at the same time, it is killing me to see my muscle turn to mush but PS won't talk about exercise until 4 week check up. 

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196
    Options

Waldo~So, are you not walking at all or anything right now? That would make me literally nuts...  I miss yoga a lot but I know that I won't be able to do it even when *allowed* at the 6 wk mark because of the discomfort.  :(  I hear ya on the mush arms... I have a flabby bat-wing. <sigh>

Sorry to hijack this thread! Maybe someone should start an exercise one! LOL

xxoo

• mantra
    mantra Member Posts: 189
    Options

I don't have symmastia but am definitely heading that way after my first ps botched my surgery. My second surgery (new PS) will be in August.  I need to buy a specialty bra to prevent symmastia. After tons of research, I've come up with the four possible bras. Each is so different and I'm wondering if anyone has experience or has heard anything bad/good about them.

http://marenagroup.com/ (implant stabilizer kit).

http://www.thongbra.com/

http://designveronique.com (two different ones (a) v panel compression panel (b) v panel compression bra).

The thongbra seems the best but the shipping alone is $30 to Canada. However, if it truly is a better product than the other three, I'll go that route. Marenagroup is in Canada and that's where I purchased my post surgical bra. However, their implant stabilizer (IMHO) doesn't look strong enough to do the job. The designerveronique bras  . . . not sure. So different and I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

• waldo
    Options

Michele, I had the exchange a week ago- so not speedwalking yet- no exercise for 4 weeks.  I am walking(strolling) but not allowed to elevate my heart rate. Right now all they want me to do is protect the implants and keep them neatly in their pockets. Hence we come back to Bras 101 to gently support and hold them in place.

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    Options

Good evening ladies. I have a question about sports bras. I have been told that after my exchange next week I will be sent home in a surgical bra with gauze pads over the incisions, but can shower and switch to a sports bra the next day. I have a zillion of those Nike pullover types, but my experience pre-MX as a "D" cup, was that they were very compressive. I felt so smooshed in them that I would want to take them off immediately after exercising. Smoosh does not seem like a good thing on those delicate new implants! I do have some other sports bras, that I always liked and found comfy that had underwires ( on the outside) made by DK. I don't think they would want me in those. What have other women found in sports bras that were supportive without underwire, but not compressive. BTW, I went to look for those Bestform Walmart bras with the hook and eye front closure. Bestform was bought out by Fruit of the Loom They cost $7!! Least expensive bra I've ever seen. Also about the least attractive, but don't really care at this point. They seem to run very small. I usu wear a 34 or 36 and the 40 (yipes) band was about right. With my TE's cannot tell at all about smoosh or support, but I know many women liked these. Any suggestions?? I think I am going to be a big B/little C ...but who really knows till we wake up!

• waldo
    Options

Jerusha, not a sports bra that smooshes. Do you have a Nordstrom near you?  Do they have a store in NYC?  MSKCC probably has a mastectomy boutique they can send you to. You want something soft without seams that offers gentle support that cradles your implants without being too tight and does not push in or out medially or laterally. If you wear something and it is leaving marks/indents on your implants it doesn't fit right.

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936
    Options

Waldo- I don't feel like a china plate.  I feel more like Humpty Dumpty.

All the king's horses, and all the king's men, are trying to put Kate together again! Laughing 

• MsSherryInFL
    MsSherryInFL Member Posts: 13
    Options

I wanted to say thanks for the repy about bras post flap procedure.  I ended up buying one off ebay after using the bareneccesities web site.  FREYA 5922 Pollyanna Underwire Plunge Bra 36DD was what I won off ebay.  It fits great and has nice wide wires.  I am going to wear it today and see how it does.  Thanks again.  I know this is a post exchange board but hey I am post exchange (implants exchanged to flap), lol.  Honestly the same rules I think play into flaps.  The flaps are wider IMHO than natural breasts so a lot of the same bras that will be good implant wise probably work for flaps too. 

• cs7777
    cs7777 Member Posts: 303
    Options
    Hi Jerusha, What Waldo said makes sense, and I would say you will probably want one(s) that have front zip or hook/eye closure because you won't want to wrestle them on/off over your head for a while after your surgery.  Several others have really liked the Underscore zipfront one ($14 on sale, $20 not) from Penneys and I got one and it was fine, although the band cut in more than I liked.  It did feel like it held everything in place w/o squishing (but then I had to buy the B as they don't make an A cup, so the support was around the edges not on the cup front, tee-hee.)  I also bought a Moving Comfort one from REI that was more comfy on me, but not on my pocketbook ($38).  Here's a link to it: http://www.herroom.com/Moving-Comfort-300060-Grace-Zip-Front-A-B-Sports-Bra.shtml?cm_mmc=csse-_-HerRoom-_-GoogleBase-_-MovC01-300060  I was a bit worried about the seams along the outer edge but they didn't cut in so I think it was ok.
  • whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    Options

Waldo:  Yes, I have bought them NWOT!  And they always look perfect - no signs of anyone having worn them.  I always wash everything I buy first in the Holista Delicate Lingerie Wash [in powdered form] which I buy at Nordstroms. 

• whippetmom
    Options

Mantra:  Did you see this one from the Marena Group?

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-148-lift-and-separate-bra.aspx

Also...I do not know how much savings there would be if I bought it and shipped it to you myself.  If if would be less expensive, I would be happy to buy it and send it to you...or you could buy it and send it to me and then I could ship to you.  But if that thongbra ends up to be the best option, I am glad to help get it to you.  You might want to research this.

But you do not need a stabilizer band along with the sternum separation/compression band.  You do not need anything which pushes down on the upper pole of the breast.  

Deborah

• whippetmom
    Options

BRAS AND SUPPORTIVE AIDS FOR SYMMASTIA:

Symmastia supportive garments and description of correction procedures:

http://www.implantforum.com/symmastia-repair/symmastia.html

The link below indicates that Dr. Pousti [one of the most renowned symmastia repair plastic surgeons] seems to use the Thongbra with his patients:

http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/case-of-the-week/breast-revision-surgery/breast-revision-surgery-symmastia-repair-bottoming-out/

• waldo
    Options

Deborah, Is there a specific seller on ebay you like more than others?  SInce I am supposed to be wearing it 23/7 I want to order another  Wacoal Awareness 34DD and there are a few sellers. 

• val61
    Options

Waldo - I think I have that top that you're wearing in your pic!

Here's my experience with exercise and the sports bra.  My ps allowed me to begin light exercise (no weight lifting or much arm movement) at  4 weeks post-op.  I slowly ramped up my intensity, and resumed teaching at 7 weeks post-op.  (same after my revision)  My ps COMPLETELY limits any arm movement for at least a week-ten days after exchange (and placement of the TEs), and after my revision, he had me on completely left arm restriction for almost 3 weeks, so you can imagine the muscle that's lost in that time....

As for the bras, initially my ps had me in an underwire encapsulation bra, with a non-wired compression bra over it.  He said there should be NO BOUNCE at all, which is not easy to achieve.  I used the Donna Karan (#35137) (does come DD) - which I had fitted at Nordstrom - and then wore the Moving Comfort Fiona bra (#350003) over it.  That's a lot of bra, though, and it's quite frankly hard to breathe.  So, I searched and searched and found what for me is the PERFECT high-impact sports bra - the Bendon "Max Out High-Impact Underwire Sports Bra." It also comes DD.  It's cut lower than the DK one, so doesn't show under most workout tops - at least the kind I wear.  I even asked my class if I bounced at all, just to make sure - and they said no bounce!  The cup does run a bit small, I think - since I'm really a 30 band, which is not available in sports bras, I had to get a 32, so went down in the cup to a D.  The wire does fit around the implant, so it's okay, and the snugness probably helps with the encapsulation.  

• val61
    Options

MsSherry - Welcome to the Freya Pollyanna Fan Club!  A bunch of us wear that....it was the bra my ps chose for me, and it's my everyday go-to bra.....although I have been wearing ones with a little lining to help camouflage the new nips a bit.....they're getting smaller, though!

Jershua - smooshing isn't good, like waldo said, but you do want to have a fairly snug bra that keeps the implants "IN AND UP."  Get one that's snug in the band and with some kind of side support to get the "IN" part.  Hiking the straps up really tightly helps keep the implants "UP" and against the chest wall - which you want to help them heal in the right place.  

• val61
    Options
    MicheleS - Hey!  I see you're in southern AL....my son just graduated from a college in Mobile!  I just love that place....so pretty....though his girlfriend in Gulf Shores says the oil is making everything there ugly and stinky.....so sad....    During my TE's, my ps wouldn't let me wear a bra - only camies with no shelf bra - so that nothing would push my low-height TE's up under the pecs.  That wouldn't apply to somebody with the full-height TE's, though.  Because it's so hot here, I loved the cropped camies that I found a JC Penny's.  In fact, I have 2 or 3 in my attic that I'd be glad to share if we're the same size.  PM me if you want....
  • Jerusha
    Options

Val61: It is so disconcerting and confusing that each PS has such different ideas. I wish there was ONE right way! For my TE's both my PS and BS had no specific instructions. Take the dressings out of the bra  (big gauze pads called "lap pads") whenever you want.... Take off the surgical bra whenever you feel like it...Switch to camis or T-shirts or whatever you want - just nothing compressive. Now I am told that I will wake up from exchange surgery with the same loose, flimsy,non-supportive, non-compressive post MX bra (by Marena - its on the website) with those same big pads. Probably take out the gauze "whenever" as can shower next day. I am to wear it 24/7 for a week. Usually people have a 1 wk post op check and they give you some kind of sports bra. I will not be going back for 2-3 wks as I have to travel. After the first week they said to switch to anything supportive -- not sure  yet if it will be  24/7 or for how many weeks. Eventually, can where whatever I want, wired or not -- or no bra at all. Soooo. Don't know quite how to prepare, especially since I know I will be smaller than my TE size and my old 36D bras(both same). Too bad since I have a zillion old bras. The Marena sleep bra looks fairly comfy if one has to be in a bra at night. Do you think it counts as equivalent to a sports bra? Some of the other Marenas also look very supportive yet comfortable, such as the Molded Cup Lace Bra and the Surgical Bra with 1" band and the Surgical Bra with 2" band. Also some of the others...Would you take a look and tell me what you think? I got a few of those Bestform, now Fruit of the Loom  hook and eye front closures. Some support, I think. Not much compression, I think. But do not seem great for either. Are the ones from Pennys that are same style but different fabric about the same? It just seems to me that what defines a sports bra is one that holds you in place with no jiggle. Unless it is wired, that seems like it needs to be compressive????  Don't mean to be dense about this, but what's a girl to do???

• Jerusha
    Options

BTW, I do have the Grace Bra from Moving Comfort that was suggested, and to me that is in the category of "smooshing. The Underscore zip front looks the same. Maybe I am over- sensitive to this idea of smoosh and compression? Anyway, just looked at the JC Penney site. Wow. They have 31 pages of bras...who knew?? I wish I had a Nordstrom nearby. When I go for my 2-3 week check in NY I can go to one, but that may be too soon for final fitting, and I am still at a loss for the first several weeks.

• whippetmom
    Options

Waldo:  No specific seller.  I just want to make sure they have a good feedback rating and over 100 feedback comments. This seller has a 100% feedback rating and thousands of FB comments...

http://cgi.ebay.com/BNWT-60-WACOAL-Awareness-Soft-Cup-Bra-34DD-/270582513981?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_CSA_WC_Intimates&hash=item3efff9813d

• whippetmom
    Options

Jerusha:  I think at two to three weeks status post-exchange you will be fine with fitting for a bra at Nordstrom.  There will not be that drastic a change - at least not in cup size - and so plan on at least getting one comfortable bra and also you will have your correct measurements to use when you want to purchase online.  You can order online from Nordstroms and returns are simple and free. 

• Jerusha
    Options

OK, this has NOTHING to do with bras, but is another example of Nordstrom's excellent customer service... Nordstrom will sell mismatched "pairs" of shoes. I had an ankle injury and had to wear a big clunky brace  for a long time. ( a few years, actually). The only shoe, other than sneakers and that type, that the brace would fit in was a clog, such as Dansko. But the brace side was 3 sizes bigger than my real size. (Talk about lopsided...) As there are no Nordstroms where I live, I called the one in White Plains, outside of NYC. The shoe salesman called all over the country to locate the various sizes and styles. As I was wearing these to work every day, and for everything else, I ordered four pairs to try out. Over the next week, eight Nordstrom boxes arrived, from everywhere, each with a half of the 4 "pairs" I'd ordered! Isn't that nice! And maybe useful, too, if you know anyone who needs two different sized shoes!  (Sorry, I know its not bra info...)

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936
    Options

Jerusha- I agree with you.  Why can't all the BS and PS get together and figure out what is the ONE, best and most successful way to do EVERYTHING regarding BC?  No one seems to agree on anything!  Do you suppose all cancers are this way?  It can make a person crazy trying to figure it all out.  

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    Options

Jerusha, thanks SO much for the note about shoe sizes. Our cancer Sisters with ovarian and uterine cancer are at risk for lymphedema in the affected leg, and they have to wrap the leg in huge layered bandages, so buying shoes is a real crusher for them -- I'll pass this along to their groups.

THANK YOU!Kiss
    Binney

• val61
    Options

Jershua - I'm laughing so hard I almost fell off my chair....was reading the description of the Molded Cup Lace Bra on the Marena website.....and I quote "This design creates a seductive look while providing the doctor recommended support for the ultimate healing experience."  If that bra is seductive, I'm definitely in BIG trouble!    (I would say it qualifies as what most people consider a "sports bra")   Not to minimize the bra, though I'm not sure if it has much side support.....hard to tell from the description.  That would be my concern.  Same thing with the Surgical Bra, no side support.  It also has that trim along the inner edge, which could put some pressure on the implants to move outwards - not a good thing.  Obviously a TON of people use these bras post-op, so my opinion is probably completely uneducated, so please take that into consideration.   I'm not a big fan of Bestform or F of L.....just not great quality construction.

Compression is not necessarily a bad thing.  My ps had me taped up - essentially in complete compression - for a week post-op.   You might try the Underwire Sports Bra byDonnaKaran that I mentioned yesterday, I think.  It's very comfy, has excellent side support, and doesn't compress much. I'll do some more research - though it'll probably be tomorrow as I have other stuff I need to attend to tonight - and see what I can come up with.

And you're certainly not dense....there are SO many things to consider, and when you don't get direction from your ps, it's like finding your way in the dark.  We'll try to help you here, though!

• mantra
    mantra Member Posts: 189
    Options
    • Jerusha which Marena bra were you told to wear? My PS had me purchase the Marena BNVL to wear after my TE surgery and I was also told I'd wake up with the same bra after my exchange. http://marenagroup.com/store/entity/tabid/198/c-3-breast-support.aspx  .  I ditched it after the first few weeks.  It's comfortable enough but I found that I couldn't wear anything except oversize tops with it. I finally cut the front ribbons off (they referred to them as "feminine design") but they made my shirts looks weird. I don't fancy having to wear this bra again post op. For some reason I always felt like I was wearing my grandmother's bra whenever I put it on. I guess Marena's idea of feminine and my idea of feminine are completely different. Just curious is this is the same bra that was recommended to you.
  • Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631
    Options

I have the Marena Recovery Bra (in black) near as I can tell -- provided by my PS.  I find it very comfortable.  Though I'd prefer it did not have the seams (the seamless ones they sell look more appealing to me).   The bra does not push me one way or the other... provides gentle support... and is comfortable.  But of course my PS is the anti-underwire school of PS, so the opposite of the kind your PS suggested for you Val.  This is not to disagree... I honestly don't know which is correct!  I think ultimately that it's about having support of some kind; so it's better than none :)

Mantra -- the BNVL looks like a post-surgical bra (and has the little loops on it for the attachment of the drains, which are a great thing to have when you HAVE drains).  The other kinds are not quite so restrictive.  I see them as post-post surgical (not bras for drains... but not sexy ones either :)