Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Options

Comments

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    Options

Yes, I think some of those post-surgical bras are the kind you want to wear when you would like to ward off any romantic attentions.  I'll have to keep them in mind.  That BNVL model could be useful for hanging items from after the drains are out.  Like maybe a leash for hands-free dog-walking.

• mantra
    mantra Member Posts: 189
    Options
    Whippet - way too funny!! However, I'm willing to give it a try and plan on attaching the leashes (one of course on each side 'cuz using two loops on one side would just be plan ridiculous and throw me off balance) Although, I assume if someone had 4 small dogs,it would be just perfect. Okay, seriously   .. . the loops are velco and were ripped off the minute the drains disappeared. The sexy little ribbons quickly followed. I call it Bertha, The Big Bra . . . after my golf driver. All I could picture is me lying there sound asleep after surgery, the medical staff giggling away and making fun of the patient wearing Big Bertha. Being 5'2" and 114 lbs, this bra takes up half my upper body. Sexy, feminine my a$$!! Laughing ..
  • waldo
    waldo Member Posts: 145
    Options

Deborah, You are so funny- I laughed so hard, I think if caused me to fluff!!!!

• waldo
    Options

This is the bra they gave me post exchange: 

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-16-surgical-bra-2-elastic-band.aspx

Mine was  black- way more lovely and a whole lot more seductive than the post mx bra and comfy too. What are these people thinking?????? But they wanted me out of it after 24 hrs- The nurse said it offers too much compression. I woke up in the recovery room in a size large- WTF???I am 5'3"118 lbs and given 425 cc implant. I told the nurse it was too big- I was able to stick my entire hand in there.  The OR nurse came out and put me into a medium.  I now have the lovely bra in a medium and a large.  

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969
    Options

Good heavens, Waldo!   A LARGE!  We're almost body doubles, so I know EXACTLY what that bra would be like on you!   Just hope they didn't make you pay for both.....probably did, though.....

Deborah - What bra are you sleeping in these days?  I still wear my underwire Freya's - alternate between the "Eleanor" and the "Arabella" ones.  I tried to wear my Soma "Spa Yoga Bra" that I wore a few times with my TE's ( when I needed to look like I was wearing a bra), but I felt way too unsupported.  

For someone who wants a very comfy bra, that Soma one is quite nice, though as I said, not enough support for me.   Shortly after I got my TE's, it was recommended by a woman in my support group as great for recon.  It might be worth a try for some of you......style #100043756

• val61
    Options

Since I was on the Soma website, I decided to look around.  I think I found a great WIREFREE bra that might be worth checking out for those of you wire-free groupies.  It's the "Custom Support Larissa Bra'  (style #560000085) ( or something like that, my contact is old and not working too well to support my near vision....lol).   What I like about it is that the description says it has an "inner sling".  Anytime you see that, it means "support."  The sling apparently differs based on the cup size, so a B cup would have less than a DD.  Band sizes just 32-38, though.  Just some more opportunities to bra shop, my friends!

• cs7777
    cs7777 Member Posts: 303
    Options

Waldo that's the same bra I came out of both MX and exchange with, with the front layered with thick sterile pads. I got the tan one though - I'll have to tell my PS that women prefer black.  ;)  Its quite comfortable even now, but doesn't work with a fair lot of clothes.  I also find the gatherings down the middle front leave imprints on my skin which just doesn't seem great for the implant side.

About 3 days after my MX I told my husband, man, I feel like something sharp is poking me in my left back - maybe its just a nerve ending going off but can you look inside the bra.  So he did, and lo and behold there was a staple there inside the bra!  No wonder it hurt.  The best we could figure was it was from the tags that were on the bra, but who knows.

• whippetmom
    Options

I found a bra which I think would be great for those with larger volume implants - with implants which tend to migrate to the sides.  Val - would you add this to the list above?  It helps bring the breasts "front and center" and gives good lift. 

http://www.herroom.com/Simone-Perele-179381-Nila-Minimizer-Bra.shtml?cm_vc=0201

• mantra
    Options
    Okay, just took my dogs for a walk using the handsfree devices found on the Marena post surgical bra. Thanks for a wonderful idea Whippetmom.. Not bad. "The boys" were a tad embarassed being walked attatched to a bra, but seemed to understand the added convenience it gave me while walking them.. With my free hands I was able to walk the dogs while filing my nails as well as flipped through a magazine. Laughing
  • whippetmom
    Options

Mantra:  Oh wonderful!  So glad it worked for you!  LOL!!!  And the weather is probably nice enough for just walking outside in your bra, right?  Could we get a photo perhaps of how this worked for you - with dogs attached?  

• whippetmom
    Options

Val:  I am wearing Natori, Freya or Chantelle underwired bras during the day, but at night, it is a complete free-for-all.  I grab whatever wireless bra is handy.  I only have one wired sports bra which I sleep in - a Wacoal. Otherwise it is Champion or Anita.  I have a keloid scar where a drain was on my right side and the wired bras at night irritate this little area. 

• waldo
    Options

CS, it left marks on me as well. I tried to put some gauze and that left worse marks. I haven't worn it since. 

Val, They probably will charge me for the 2 bras- that's probably why one of the nurses insisted I take home the large as well. She told me to put it in the dryer to shrink it!!!!!

Deborah/Val, How many bras do you each own? I already feel like I own a small lingerie shop in my top drawer and I don't even have half of your collections.

Speaking of lingerie, I tied on some sexy stuff I have not worn in a while- looked real good (if I do say so myself)  with the new girls all perked up in there!

• whippetmom
    Options

Hmmm....about 25 bras...but I am bringing a number of them to Vegas for the great bra give-away!

• waldo
    Options

I cannot believe I am missing the great bra give away!!!  Is Vegas a  yearly event and do you meet up in other places, as well?

• whippetmom
    Options

This is our 2nd year in a row and I somehow envision it will always be Vegas, at least as long as the party-animals [of which I am not one] are in charge.  Wink  This year we decided to bring bras to share....Here is the link to the Vegas thread.  It's not too late Waldo!!!!

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/34/topic/747356?page=35#idx_1021

• whippetmom
    Options

That did not work.  It is under the "Get Togethers" forum.  I bumped it up for you. 

• val61
    Options

Deborah - Damn drains.....I'm surprised I don't have something similar after having so many of them......maybe I'll make the plunge to a wirefree bra for night, though to be perfectly honest, the ones I wear don't bother me in the least......I know, I'm a total freak of nature.....Thanks, too, for that bra suggestion - I just added it on the list.  I checked it out, and it seems to be a very well thought of little number.  Have you tried it on?  I'm wondering just how minimizing it is....you can't really minimize foobs, though, can you?

Waldo - I'm a bit behind Deborah, because you need to remember that I really didn't NEED a bra before, unless of course, I wanted to resemble something of the female persuasion, and then is was the most padded sucker I could find!  So....my grand total is only 17! 

I had to return something to Banana Republic, which is next door to Soma, so went in and tried on that Larissa bra.  Did not work for me.  Runs big in the band - I had the 32 on the tightest hook and it still pulled away from my body - which probably means the cup was too small - doesn't come DD, though.  The "sling" is a fabric "non-underwire" that does seem to have the ability to encapsulate the implants.  A bit too much padding for early on, but better than nothing.

• val61
    Options
    Join us, Waldo!
  • Hannahbearsmom
    Hannahbearsmom Member Posts: 266
    Options

Val:   I like the look of that Soma wirefree. I think I'll have to check it out after my nips heal--I just looked online and there is a Soma store near me. I had never even heard of that store until recently. Do they have the 32 sizes in stock? The stores in my area don't have a lot of selection in 32 bras.(I have gotten some from Nordstrom's).  I usually wear 32/34C/D but I really prefer to try on rather than ordering online.

TCK

• val61
    Options

TCK - They do have 32's, but not in all the styles, at least at my store, which is a fairly small one.  It's definitely worth a try.  You might just go and grab a couple now 'cause they just started their sale and a bunch of bras are on sale fo $19.99.  I bought one of their "cami bras" (32DD), which fit fairly well, though (as I said earlier) was a bit big around.  I figured for $20 it was worth it to wear on those occasions when you need a cute little lace thing to cover you up.

• MooreTennis
    MooreTennis Member Posts: 90
    Options

I took Deborah's suggestion and looked at eBay. I just picked up an $88 Chantelle NWT bra for $22.49 - WhooHooo!!!!! I love the Chantelle bras.

• whippetmom
    Options

Val:  I do not know how you do it! You must lie flat on your back and not move an inch all night long!  The problem with the wired bras for ME is that I turn on my side - right to left - and it is too uncomfortable in certain positions with a wired bra.  I tried it...but I finally woke up in the middle of the night and put on a wireless.  I am on the search for another sleep number.  Ooh....wish they had a sleep number bra.  Like the bed, where you could dial in your comfort level.  

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631
    Options

LOL Deb -- a sleep number bra -- love it.

• whippetmom
    Options

Denise:  Keep an eye out at your local Marshall's, because last year I found some Chantelle bras [the C-Chic] for $14.99!

• Luna5
    Luna5 Member Posts: 532
    Options

Deborah, I am a side sleeper also.  I use the chic shaper over either a zip front sports bra or another no underwire bra to keep them from sagging to the side.

• Estepp
    Estepp Member Posts: 2,966
    Options

The reason the TaTa Sisterhood go to  Vegas is because it is a good value place and unlimited things to do. NOT to party.... I CORRECT DEBORAH.... LOL LOL LOL

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631
    Options

Ha!  I don't believe it Laura :)  Party, sleep, relax... all are fully expected by the Ta Ta Sisterhood!

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    Options

Whippetmom, that's it! My enchanting post MX bra which I am headed back in to for a week. I really do not see the purpose of it. It does absolutely nothing, but itch and look stupid, and hold gauze pads in place. I especially like the way the top sticks out of EVERY possible article of clothing.

Perhaps I'll hook up my dogs as suggested. 

Sorry about your earthquakes. Sounds scary:( 

• waldo
    Options

Love the bra exchange idea! I have to pass this year, but hopefully DH and I will have found jobs by then and I plan to attend 2011!!!

• mantra
    Options

Deborah I truly would have loved to post a photo of the dog walking bra but unfortunately my dogs ate the camera. These very same dogs used to eat my homework . . . 40 years ago. What can I say . . . they are very old dogs with very weird appetites.