Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

The ones I used were not too expensive and I purchased them at CVS ...

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

val:  Great minds think alike:  I was also imagining Deborah triming the dog's nails in her VS red sling,m lol!

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Looked, but can't find the tip for washing Chantelle bras?  Any help - don't want to ruin these expensive bras!!

• Lilah

Valerie -- The tip was to hand wash them a few times in lingerie wash to soften them.

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Thanks Lilah - I'll do that.

• cleo100
    cleo100 Member Posts: 75

This is a question for anyone out there who can advise me on my former bra collection. I have a large assortment of beautiful 34B bras from my "former" self! I had heard that it might be a possibility to donate them to a worthy cause. I feel strange because they are "under" garments but they are clean and in very good condition. Any suggestions would be appreciated!    Cleo

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

stlcardsfan - yes, a lot of women here have used the silicone sheets.  However, time can also heal them with no intervention.  My PS was adament about not using ANYTHING on my scars - especially anything with vitamin E (it can act like a steroid & toughen scars).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3312212

I've been careful since bmx to not even put my lotion (even though it's organic/all natural) on my scars, and they've flattened out and faded pretty well, I think. 

• jkz
    jkz Member Posts: 158

Are any of you ladies form NJ and have blue cross and blue shield. I called quite a few times and asked if they covered bras and I always get the same answer.. Only if you have prosthesis. I have implants.. Is that considered to be the same?  I have njdirect bcbs and personal choice bcbs..

Also I have been looking for an extremely good sports bra to wear after my surgery.. Any suggestions?

Has anyone heard of the Calli sports bra. They are very expensive but I am not sure if they are good with implants.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

cleo100 - I posted it a few posts back re recycling your bras.  Here is the link again:

http://blog.lindasonline.com/2011/01/11/donate-a-bra-for-haiti-receive-20-off-your-next-order/

I sent about 20 and received 20% at Linda the bra lady's store.  I've ordered from her before, she's based in NYC.  It is a worthy cause, I received a discount ... we all win. 

• Amy4199
    Amy4199 Member Posts: 2

I had reconstruction & just got my nipples done!  I didn't have implants though - went with the tram flap - same info apply?

• val61

jkz -every insurance is different.  If it's worth it to you, you can always appeal, I guess.   As for the Cali bra, it's a good one.  It was actually the first one I tried.  The straps run rather long - I couldn't get them short enough to offer enough support in the cup size I really needed (D), so bought a smaller cup size, which didn't work at all.  It comes up very high on the chest - if you're good with that, then try it.   I'm still quite partial to the Bendon bras and lululemon's Ta Ta Tamer bra, though they're certainly not any cheaper......

amy4199 - Congratulations!!   Yes, there are some differences between flaps and expanded foobs.  Generally - Deborah, please pipe in here - reconstructed foobs with implants are wider and will require a larger cup size to accommodate the width.  The tram flap would be more similar to a natural breast in terms of sizing, so using the regular fit guidelines should yield more correct ressults.  Wil your PS allow underwires?

• cleo100

Yes, I recently purchased the Calli sports Bra and love it. Very supportive and functional. Just not so comfortable for sleeping:)

• cleo100

Dawne! thank you for repeating the link. I will definitely follow though. Just a wonderful opportunity to do something worthy without the wastefulness of destroying beautiful and useful bras!

• val61
    Thanks, Dawne, for the link.  Don't think I'll bother sending mine in as nobody would want/need my old bras.....except maybe an 8 yr-old.....Kiss
  • Lilah

LOL Val you are so adorable.

• jkz

Val thanks for the info.. I am going to look for these bras now. I still not have found the perfect bra for me for exercising.. I love my vs cotton wireless bras. Just bought two more 2 weeks ago! Hopefully I will be the same size after my revision/implant exchange on Monday.

• altered_reality
    altered_reality Member Posts: 9

Hi all,

Any suggestions concerning strapless bras?  Anyone use them or have a favorite brand, etc.? 

• 42squared
    42squared Member Posts: 25

Hello Everyone!  It's been a few months since I've been on this site -- it's great to know there are always wonderful women here.  I have my exchange surgery on Feb 11 and today my PS told me to purchase a Contour Style 31 - SP Cover Bra.  Easy enough.  But now I'm on the site and I'm not sure if I should get a size 32 or 34.  For those of you who have worn this bra, is it supposed to be as tight as possible, or have some play?  When fitted for a regular bra, I am between a 32 and 34.  I'm on the last loop of a 32, so they usually say I'm a 32, and as it stretches I can move to the next loop. In a 34, I'm in the middle or first tightest loops.  Any ideas?  Thanks so much!

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

42squared:  A 32, absolutely!!!

• whippetmom

I was on the BIS 101 thread mentioning bras with good lateral support and I happened to come upon this new bra by Shock Absorber.  Sounds like a good one...

http://www.herroom.com/Shock-Absorber-b5047-Dynamic-Racket-Sports-Bra.shtml

• 42squared

Thank you so much, Deborah!  I love a clear answer, especially when I'll live in this bra for at least 6 weeks!  And though I'm having last minute size doubts (the "go bigger it will be so fun" side of me vs. the yoga/active/long&lean side of me), i'm THRILLED the day is almost here.  Finally!!!  

• whippetmom

Here is a Moving Comfort bra....found an article written by someone who posted her top 10 sports bras:

"This lovely bra is the first sports bra designed for women who've had breast cancer. It's soft, comfy and lightweight and it also has a zip-front which makes it easy to take off. The CoolMax lining doubles as pocket for a prosthesis, but any woman would find the Grace Bra comfortable and supportive. This is probably my favorite sports bra.  Best for:  Small-Medium Women, High Impact Activities."

The only issue I have with this bra is that it comes in S, M and L sizing - not specific "cup" sizing.  But it does come in a DD cup version, as well as C/D cup sizing.  From what I have read, it runs small.

http://www.movingcomfort.com/dyn_search.php?q=grace

Also at Nordstrom [DD cup]

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/moving-comfort-grace-300272-sports-bra-dd-cup/3101533

On sale...A/B cups...

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/MCW451/

And don't forget to check eBay...some great prices there..

• whippetmom

42squared:  I just looked at that bra and I cannot figure out why you need a built in stabilizer band??? Does your PS do a lot of augmentations? 

• LG300
    LG300 Member Posts: 512
    I love my Moving Comfort Fiona sports bras, http://www.movingcomfort.com/product/344873/350003/_/Fiona.  I practically lived in them when I had my TEs and still wear them (even when I'm not working out - I really haven't started working out regularly yet) now that I have my implants.  After my exchange, I brought one to my PS, and she said they'd be great for me to wear when I switched from my post-surgical bra.
  • 42squared

Whippetmom:  My PS is Dr. Schooler at USC, so no, he mainly does breast reconstruction.  But sometimes he does augmentation to match the MX side.  However, in my case, I've had a BMX and I'm going bigger from what I was -- does that matter?  What is the built in stabilizer band for, and I guess you've not seen it often in MX?

• whippetmom

42squared:  No, I have not - not too many require a stabilizer band, b/c the implants are typically not riding high. But in the case of a unilateral - with augmentation on the native side, yes, sometimes it is useful.  You could just buy a regular post-surgical bra and get a stabilizer band separately [$17.00] if you need it.  But you have Dr. Schooler, so everything is A-OK with me!  Wonder if MBJ used that bra?

• whippetmom

Lilah....Where were you to find a Nordstrom's?

• sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470

JKZ-I'm not my NJ but I do have BC BS and they considered my implants "internal breast prosthesis" when they billed me a $700 copay after my exchange! My plan states that I must pay a 30% copay for durable medical equipment (including implants per their definition) I called about bras and they would be covered if purchased from a preferred provider (most likely would be from a mastectomy store) I did call one and they said they did have bras for reconstruction patients and would bill my insurance. I never did go down to check it out yet because I was able to find bras on my own that would amount to about the same as the 30% copay I would need to pay to go there.

• jkz

LG300.. The fiona bras do look very supportive and comfortable. I just founfd 2 brand new ones on ebay and only paid 58 dollars for both w/ s&h! I think I got a great deal... I just hope I like them :)

• stlcardsfan
    stlcardsfan Member Posts: 227

Thanks for all the feedback on the scar sheets. As always, I appreciate it.

I never thought I would say this, but after wearing my underwires for two weeks, I barely even feel them now. Based on how uncomfortable they felt the first time, I am surprised now that I sometimes forget I am wearing them. The joys of a well fitting, hand washed a few times, bra!