Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Jennifer -Okay.....I finally found the webpage....my computer just didn't want to go there!   Their fit instructions are pretty standard - ribcage measurement and breast circumference measurement.  As mentioned before, that method doesn't work well for implants.  I put my measurements in and they say I'm a 32B......quite different from the 30DD (32D in sports bras) that I actually wear!   Tongue out     I still think this is the best way to measure for bras with implants, with the exception that I'd add only 3" if an odd number and 2" if it's even:  

http://www.herroom.com/measure-bra-size-with-implants,904,30.html

• LG300
    LG300 Member Posts: 512

I like Moving Comfort bras, but as Val pointed out, their bra measurement instructions are the standard ones that don't work well for implants.  I found the herroom instructions, which are specifically for implants, to be accurate (thanks again for posting).  Val, I know you like tighter bands.  Don't you don't find your bras to be too tight and leave indentation marks though?

• LG300
    Val, I forgot to mention, I love your new avatar. Smile
  • jkz
    jkz Member Posts: 158

Well according to the herroom link I ended up being 38 D maybe full C (but with Vals suggestion of adding 3 to an odd number and 2 to an even this would work) According  the moving comfort sizing site I ended up being a 34D. So a 36D may work but I am wearing a 36C and did does feel pretty good maybe a bit snug in the cup size but its not what I would call significantly tight. Do you think if I buy a fiona or a helena a 36D would fit? I am just trying to keep them as stable as I can.. You ladies are so wobderful. Cannot wait fr Vegas. I miss you all!

• LG300

I wear a larger size in the Fiona style than in my normal bras, so I would recommend getting a 36D in the Fiona if your current 36C bra is snug.

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Jkz -- 36C and 34D are virtually the same size, so I'm not surprised that either can work for you.  Sounds like you are finding some good fits!

Val -- I agree: you are so pretty in your new avatar!  Simply aglow!

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

jkz:  I fit in a 34D or a 36C or D.  Just depends on the mfg or the fit of the bra.

• jkz

Thank you Val, Lilah and MBJ. Val what stores sell the moving comfort bras? I would like to go try some more on before I purchase them on E-bay. The Helena looks nice but the Maia likes it sits way to hight on the chest for me...

• val61

Jennifer - I have the Maia - one of the first sports bras I bought, along with the Fiona (which I gave away) - and it does come up pretty high on the chest.  Some people really like that, but I get so hot when I work out, that I prefer a lower-cut bra.  That's why I like the Bendon ones.  I found my Moving Comfort bras at our local running store, Lukes (the only brand they carried, I think), so try that store (if there's one in your area) or a local running store.    I will tell you I had a hard time getting a good fit with the underwire.  The D cup fit around the underwire, but the straps were so long (probably to accommodate a "natural" fuller bust) that I couldn't shorten them enough to get adequate support.  I ended up buying a C cup, but it really is too small.....which is why it's sitting lonely in the bottom of my drawer.  So, if somebody wants a 32C Maia, let me know!

• val61

LG300 - You know, it's funny about tight bras.  Initially, when my PS hooked my bra up the way he wanted and told me to wear it 24/7, I thought I was going to cry.  Talk about miserable!  Since I couldn't move my arms yet (he restricts arm movement after exchange for a couple of weeks), I had my dh or a friend unhook my bra a few times a day just to get some relief.  Then, amazingly, a few weeks later I realized I'd gone an entire day w/o having to do that.  From that point on, the tightness never bothered me; in fact, when I tried to hook the bra looser, it was LESS comfortable.  Go figure.  As for the marks, yes I get them, but they cause no harm.  In fact, at one appointment my PS commented that perhaps I wasn't wearing my bra tight enough anymore since I didn't have any marks!  (I told him it was just because I had to wait for awhile....Wink)

Speaking of my PS and bras......I saw him yesterday for my 2-mo checkup (though am now moved to 3-mos!).  I commented that I thought my right side had dropped significantly, as my tats are now not even.  He said that's not completely unexpected, as my left (revised) side now has permanent sutures which will hold it in position, but he also said that perhaps I wasn't wearing my bra straps tightly enough and was allowing some vertical/lateral movement.  BUSTED!  I really HAD loosened my straps some, as I thought I was "home free."  No such luck.  At least for me, he said it'll always be an issue - the lateral movement of the implant - because liquid (in implant) wants to find the path of least resistance and most gravitational pull, so will tend to fall toward the lower, lateral aspect of the pocket.  He said that's because of the slant of the ribcage.  Perhaps mine is more slanted than others, but it still seems worth mentioning.....just so y'all are aware.

Another snow day here....sleet, ice, snow.....and it was sunny and 57 yesterday!

• SusansGarden
    SusansGarden Member Posts: 754

Val, that is interesting about your PS wanting your bra so tight that he can see marks.  Especially since you are so fit and trim (you look amazing!!)... I can't imagine you have much (fatty) tissue to see the marks as well as someone that does?  I will definitely be talking to my PS about his thoughts on this.  (Right now I'm at the TE stage and living in cami's! :)

So the tight bra makes me ask... because my sister mentioned this to me.... what are your thoughts on an extra tight bra interfering with lymph pathways and their ability to drain toxins away from the underarm and chest area?  I've seen conflicting studies on this...but it seems to make sense that wearing something so tight that it leaves marks, could possibly be restricting bloodflow, lymph fluid flow, etc?  Just curious if your PS had any opinion on this?

• jkz

Val thanks for your info. I thought exactly the same thing with the Maia I would get way too hot. I love the Fionas.. They are great. I bought 4 of them within the past 2 weeks. 2 34D and 2 36C. I absolutley love them. I got all four for 100.00 on ebay brand new...And they are all different colors. I love change.

I go see my PS tomorrow morning. I think she did an amazing job but I think the left foob may nee a little revision still. They are 100% better then before.. Wish me luck ladies :)

• Lilah

That is so great Jkz!  (That they are 100% better)  Wahooo!!!!  And good luck.

• jkz

Thank Lilah.. I tried to post pictures but I can't.. My microsoft picture manager trial expired.. When I bought this laptop they said nothing about the microsoft app being any kind of trial. Think I got robbed! LOL.

• val61

What a great deal you got on those bras, Jennifer!  I'm with you....love color....and change....which helps explain all the bras I now own.....and shoes, of course!   Fingers crossed for a good visit w/ your PS in the morning.  Keep us posted!  

• Hannahbearsmom
    Hannahbearsmom Member Posts: 266

jkz:  Did you try the pic resize part of the picture forum? I had never used it before but it wasn't too difficult. It's in the sticky threads at the top of the under construction section. Good luck!

TCK

• jkz

I did try to resze it and that didnt work either... So frustrating. Too old for this stuff and cannot ask my kids to help me with this. I'm sure you understand that!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

jkz - Can you adjust your digital camera for less pixels?  There is a dial on mine that I can set to 'postcard' that takes the pic in much smaller pixels that is postable for the forum.

• jkz

i have a pretty good camera. its the newest slim pocket camera by cannon. I will have to play around with it.. I'm not tht savy with it. Thanks ladies. I appreciate all the help!

• Hannahbearsmom
    Hannahbearsmom Member Posts: 266

jkz:   I think some people who have had a lot of trouble posting their pics have sent them to TimTam or Deborah for help and they resized and posted for them. I'm not very computer savvy either so I totally understand your frustration.

TCK

• MBJ

jkz:  I found that I had to resize from 100% down to 10% and then another 80% to get it to the right size!

• val61

JKZ - before I realized that my Mac actually resized pics all by itself, I used the free picture resizer that Sandy Sunshine suggested.  Is that the one you can't get to?  I think I erased the bookmark, but will keep looking.

• val61
    JKZ - try this one   http://www.picresize.com/
  • Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490

open the picture - click on edit then on resize

• Lilah

Aw sorry Jkz -- hope one of the additional suggestions does the trick! 

• nowheregirl
    nowheregirl Member Posts: 55

Don't fuss about resizing pictures, ladies. Just PM me and ask for help. I will give you my email address so that you can send me your pictures. Then I will resize them for you to post. It's a "one-minute" job for me so don't hesitate!

Hugs,

Fumi

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Val - after having tried several I have to say that the Bendon Sport bra is my very favorite - just ordered a couple more and it must be everybodies favorite because they are backorderd for 6-8 weeks.  15% off at BareNecessities.com with promo code ENJOY15. 

• val61

Those Aussies know how to make a great bra!  It really is my favorite, too.  I do like my lululemon bras, which are wireless yet offer pretty darn good support, but they seem much more restrictive than the Max Out - at least to me - and I spend so much of my day in sports bras that that makes a big difference.

• SusansGarden
    SusansGarden Member Posts: 754

Regarding the sports bras... is that something you would need to wait for the "drop and fluff" to try on/order a size?  I'm such a "planner" that it's hard for me to wait so long to get some of these things purchased! ... but I suppose I shouldn't be jumping around too soon after exchange surgery?  I know I will have arm restrictions... but will there be much restriction on "bouncing" type exercise like running or aerobics?

• MBJ

Timtam:  You are awesome as usual!