Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• bigdogmom2
    bigdogmom2 Member Posts: 9

Thanks so much for the responses!  Ok I finally sat down and got all my info to post for you.

My implants are: Style 20: Natrelle Silicone 700 cc's, I measured my ribcage with my phone charger cord ugggg soooo hopefully it is close lol I had 32.

I purchased the Chantelle # 3951 34DD; Wacoal 855136 and 851112 also 34DD.

I love them all if it wasn't for that rubbing from the wires!  I am going to go back to Nordstrom and have them measure me again.  You think they could be too big and therefore pulling the bra tighter to my chest... My breasts seem to fit nicely in the cup.  I wish you all lived closer so I could drag ya with me to Nordstroms.  This whole bra thing is so hard LOL

Deborah, I will try on the ones you suggested also and see if that makes a difference.  I guess I didn't realize the wires should not be touching my skin.  So I will look out for that also.

Thanks again you all are so helpful!!

Cheryl

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Cell phone charger cord?  Now that is DESPARATION!  Surprised  LOL!

BDMOM: I think the cups are too small.  I think you need to go up one cup size. The band is right, but the cup sounds wrong.  Try a DDD or E cup...

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Any great ideas or pointers on getting a swimsuit.  A tankini for me - should it be underwire?  Any good brands to try?  Going on a cruise in February and all my before "foobs" suits are too small!!  Thanks for any help.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Vmudrow:  Try Jcrew or Victoria's Secret where you can buy them by bra size and tops and bottoms separately.  Most swimsuits that allow for larger cup sizes have tons of support.  Good luck and how exciting!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

vmudrow - freya also has swimsuits.

http://www.barenecessities.com/Freya-Circus-Soft-Plunge-Tankini-Swimwear-Top_product_FreyaAS3144_,search,.htm

Edited to add:  Another link ... not working, though.  The above link will take you to one particular freya tankini top, I can't get the link that has all the freya swimwear to come up correctly.  If you go to barenecessities.com and search 'freya swimwear' you'll get there.

• HappyGirl45
    HappyGirl45 Member Posts: 29

I just want to thank each of you wonderful woman for all your advise concerning getting sized for new bras after an exchange.  I had my exchange November 18th.  I have been living in sports bras.  Today I finally got the nerve to go to Nordstrom - (Towson, MD store) and got lucky (didn't make an appointment) that the nicest, sweetest lady sized me and helped me found new bras that fit right!  It didn't take long either...she was very good.  I ended up with the Natori bras.  Also there is a Nordstrom Rack and got luck they had a couple Natori in my size for $29 each.  Woohoo, a happy day!  Thanks again Val, MBJ, Whippetmom and all the other wonderful women who write about their experiences!     

• whippetmom

HappyGirl....Oohh...I love Natori also!  Now that you know your size, you can buy them on Ebay!!!

• whippetmom

Valerie:  Oh, I love the La Blanca tankini-suits.  Nordstroms sells them, but I have bought them on Ebay also.  You would love the one called "Roman Holiday" ....the tankini top fully covers...even though the model has her midriff showing....

And this one is La Blanca "Glamour"....

La Blanca by Rod Beattie 'Glamour' Tankini Top - black

• MBJ

HappyGirl:  Congratulations on graduating to real bras!  So glad you found someone at Nordstroms who could fit you.  Take Deborah's advice--Ebay rocks for bras.  Be sure to check return policies before purchasing, though.

Deborah:  I love this style of swimsuit, though I have been working out in hopes that I will actually venture out into a bikini by summer!

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Hey, Valerie!  A cruise.....I am officially jealous!  For my swimsuits last summer, I figured I needed an underwire, since the foobs were relatively new (like 8 months for the right one, and 4 months for the left...lol).  I bought Freya and Fantasie bikinis and tankinis from barenecessities.com and herroom.com.  I LOVED them!  They fit like real bras and I felt completely supported.  I will warn you - they are not exactly modest in coverage....Wink    Just use big-time sunscreen on your expanded skin (believe me, there's been a few horror stories around here about sunburned foobs!) and you'll be fine!

Dawne-Hope - that Freya "Circus" bikini will definitely be on my next beach vacation!  (now I just need a beach.......and a vacation.....)

Happygirl - we are happy to have helped!!

bigdogmom - I'm sorry you're having trouble getting a good fit, but you're not alone.  Reconstructed breasts are often very hard to fit.  If you want, I'll send you my e-mail and you can send me a pic and maybe I can figure it out.  I'll bet Whippetmom would do that, too.    

• val61
    Ladies - this week is going to be a bit crazy for me.....this coming weekend is my 2nd bmx anniversary (and my 2nd anniversary of being cancer-free!) and I'm hosting a "Merci Party" for all my friends who helped get me through all my surgeries, etc.....bringing food, dressing me, drying my tears, you know....probably 60-70 people (dh's included)!.....anyway, I'm catering it myself (thankfully, I love to cook), so will be busy with cooking and cleaning this week.  I may not be checking the thread much, so please PM me if there's something I can help you with, as I get e-mail notifications about that.  Heaven forbid I'd miss a major bra crisis!!
  • whippetmom

Oh Val....that sounds like such a great idea!  I might have to steal it for my 3rd year anniversary...

Have a wonderful time!!

• Exodus
    Exodus Member Posts: 47

Here is a question for the pros:  Prior to my exchane surgery back in May, I measured 29 1/2" and now measure 28 1/4"  I have Allergan Style 20 500cc.  There is not a Nordstroms in our area but I did get to go in for a fitting just two weeks after surgery.  I'm wearing 32 D's.  Should I be wearing 30 DD? 

The TE's were 133 SV.  I'm 5'4" and weigh 125.

You ladies are a great source of information and so wonderful to support everyone. 

Thank you so much.

• MBJ

Val:  Congratulations!!!  I did a similar thing for the holidays and I have to say, I am a bit chemo brain still--multi tasking was kind of hard still--but it was lots of fun.  Enjoy your party!!!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Yes Val enjoy!  It's a wonderful thing to do... I'm sure you will all have a fab time.

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

MBJ - Dawne-hope - whippetmom - THANKS so much for the great swim suit ideas!!  I love the tankinis and the "circus" one - although they always look so good on the models!!  Thanks for the help - I now know where to start looking. 

Val - that's a great idea for a party - hope you have a great time!!  Thanks for the reminder about sunscreen. My dermatologist suggested "Blue Lizard" sunscreen - I had to have the pharmacy order it for me - so as soon as I get a swimsuit I'll be ready to go cruising!!

We go on a cruise every year, but last year I couldn't really enjoy it -worrying about my surgery which was happening a week after I got home - so this year will be great - thanks in part to all of you nice ladies and your help with everything!

• MBJ

Valerie:  You are so welcome!  Sounds like just what you need after dealing with all of this BC stuff this last year! 

• stlcardsfan
    stlcardsfan Member Posts: 227

Well, I had to return my Chantelle bras - the lace in the cups was very rough on my new foobs. It irritated my incisions. So, instead I got the Wacoal Awareness style 85567. Still the underwire and un padded. But the lining is much smoother on my skin. I have been wearing them all week - so much more comfortable.

My swelling seems to be gone now, and the massaging seems to have helped move the left side implant were it should be.

Going to physical therapy for my Frozen shoulder - yes, got the official diagnosis. The PT could actually feel in the shoulder joint were the tightness was.

• val61

stlcardsfan - I'm SOOO sorry about your frozen shoulder!  What a pain - literally.  My friend had that a couple years ago, but is now much better after she had a closed reduction.  Hang in there!     As for the Chantelle bras, I know what you mean.  The lace on those European bras, though pretty, can be irritating.  The Awareness is a great substitute for now.  My suggestion is to wash the Chantelles - hand wash in lingerie wash - several times before you wear them again.  You can even put a little Downy softener and let them soak a bit, just rinse them well.  They will soften up, though, so you'll be back in them after your incisions aren't so fresh.

Oh, my gosh......my party was absolutely fantastic!  For those of you on Facebook, I'll post some pics there - soon! We had a houseful - nearly 70 wonderful friends who were instrumental in my recovery - and it really was a celebration of THEM, which made the party all the more fun.  BTW.....it wasn't my original idea - though actually my dh did suggest it last year....... I got the idea from KEW, who was on EC and was just ahead of me with her dx.   Smile

• MBJ

Val:  That sounds like so much fun!  I am glad it was a success!  What is your name on Facebook?

• sunsnow
    sunsnow Member Posts: 12

Hi Ladies,

I was just sitting here watching The View while I'm waiting for a furniture delivery (late, as usual). They had a segment on useful products. One of them is a product much like the Chic Shaper (I think that's the name) that I've read about on here. I'm not sure whether anyone has mentioned this product on here, but I thought I would just put up the link for anyone looking for additional side support and lift. I haven't tried it yet, so if anyone has, I would be interested in your thoughts. Thanks very much. Oh, I almost forgot...here's the link (apologies if it doesn't work):

http://theoverbra.com/ 

• Lilah

Sun -- that does look like the Chic Shaper! 

• whippetmom
    I just bought a new with tags VS sling bra in red on Ebay for $29.99.  It is a Valentine's Day gift for the hubster....Wink  I am personally hoping he buys ME a new dremel drill for the dogs nails....
  • SusansGarden
    SusansGarden Member Posts: 754

I am watching this thread and taking notes! Can't wait to go to Nordstrom's after the exchange .... and then EBAY! :)

Deborah ~ (off topic) you must be a "dog lady" like me. :)  I have two Bichons... it's been hell not being able to comb them out while I waited the 6 weeks after BMX (hurt to do it too!). I'm working on matts now! Undecided 

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490

Can't wait to see you in the bra Deborah - lol

• val61

You go, Deborah, The Ebay Queen!   Your dh is gonna love it!   Perhaps you need to wear it while using the dremel tool on the pups....Wink   My dh actually DID give me a dremel tool many years ago for Christmas - at my request - since I was desperately trying to be the next Martha Stewart.....I failed miserably, I might add.....

Yes, sunsnow, we DO know about the Chic Shaper!  It created quite a stir on EC last year when it was discovered by one of the gang, and a lot of people really liked it.  Thanks for refreshing our memories!

• Lilah

Deborah -- great VD gift!  And LOL re: the dremel... so romantic :)

• stlcardsfan

Val61 - thanks for the washing tips for the Chantelle bras. I did return them but will keep that in mind in case I decide to buy them again. The Wacoal awareness style 85567 is working out really well.

I just had a follow up with my PS today. Everything is healing really well. My left side is looking better, my implant massages seem to be working! 

Forgive me if this is a repeat or has been mentioned before, but has anyone heard of or used Silicone Scar sheets on there incisions? My PS gave me info on this today to help reduce the appearance of the scars. It is up to me if I want to order it and use it. Curious if anyone else has used, or heard of this product.  

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

stlouis - My PS gave me the info re the silicone sheets too.  I've used them and didn't think they were working until I stopped using them when I had my nips done and the scars are becoming raised again.  They did work, although it was so slowly that I couldn't see it day by day.  There is a scar thread and I'll post that link for you.  There is a lot of helpful info on it. 

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/756050?page=7#idx_203

• stlcardsfan

Dawne-Hope - thanks so much for the link. I will be going over there next and start my reading.

To quote a famous saying  "ask and you shall receive!"  Thanks!