Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Cleo - With larger implants, I think that wirefree sports bras might be better for sleeping in because the implants are so much heavier and exert pressure on the underwires. Personally, I have tried, but I just cannot wear wired bras for sleeping. The Cali is fine to wear as an exercise bra during the day.  I would not wear it ALL day.  Exercise bras should be snug and act as compression devices in order to reduce bounce and jiggle.

I know some of the gals with over 600 cc implants really love this Moving Comfort - Fiona:

http://www.herroom.com/Moving-Comfort-350003-Fiona-Sports-Bra.shtml

Your size, $32.95 and free shipping on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Womens-Moving-Comfort-Fiona-Bra-/190487886926?pt=US_CSA_WC_Intimates&vti=Band+Size%0932%0ACup+Size%09DD&hash=item7216ea92d9

I really like my Champion Powersleek sports bra.  But it does not come in anything less than a 34 band size.   The key is to keep the implants from falling laterally while you sleep.  [For me it also includes the avoidance of cleavage wrinkles though....Wink

Deborah

• whippetmom

Because I have too much free time on my hands....

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/videolib/init/1415

Laughing

• whippetmom

altered_reality: I would get the Champion Powersleek in 34D - which you can obtain inexpensively, so that you have something to wear immediately.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Womens-Champion-Powersleek-Sports-Bra-1691-/370466359267?pt=US_CSA_WC_Intimates&vti=Band+Size%0934%0ACup+Size%09D&hash=item950375e80a

Because "immediate" is better, you can usually get Champion at Kohls, Sports Authority - other dept. stores. 

Please read the section of Val's thread introduction at the top of this page regarding "encapsulation" of the implants, which is very important at this point after the exchange. Ask your PS when you will be able to wear underwire bras. If you are near a Nordstroms - go there for a proper fitting.  Many insurance companies pay for bras and compression garments, so check to see if you have such coverage.

Deborah

• whippetmom

Compression vs. Encapsulation:

"Two types of sports bras exist: compression and encapsulation. Compression sports bras feature tightly woven fabrics that pull the breasts closer to the body. This type of sports bra prevent up-and-down movements, according to Intimate Guide. Encapsulation sports bras surround each breast individually and are effective at limiting side-to-side and up-and-down motions."

• altered_reality
    altered_reality Member Posts: 9

I asked the PA (Kaiser) about underwire and she said no, didn't say why exactly. I see the PS February 4th.  I do have a couple of Danskin high impact, molded cup, sport bras that zip in front. One, the newest, has adjustable straps. I suppose I could wear that until I get to Kohls or Sports Authority or eBay (thanks for the link). Right now I'm wearing a Marena Compression and Support Garment.

There is a store here, in the San Diego area, Santee... "New Day's Dawn"..... A very nice place and Dawn, the owner, is just wonderful. I will probably go there to be fitted properly.

Thanks for the information explaining compression and encapsulation.  So much to learn and consider. 

This may be a silly question, but I'll ask anyway. What about mastectomy bras for support?

Thanks for so graciously answering my questions. 

• whippetmom

altered_reality:

Well, your PS does not want you wearing an underwire now, but perhaps at a later point.  I am a Kaiser Orange County and San Diego [Dr. Gregory Scott] patient and both plastic surgeons are aware I wear an underwire bra.  My OC PS said she wanted me to wait three months after the MX...and I lasted two months before I just had to get back to underwires.  I honestly think you are not a candidate for "mastectomy bras".  They typically have pockets for pad insertion - which you have no need of - so there is no reason you would need this type of bra.  Honestly, Nordstroms has professional fitters - Nordies has mastectomy garments - and they know how to fit women who have undergone breast reconstruction.  Call and make an appointment and specify you want someone who works with breast recon patients.

Your Marena is perfect for now.  Your Danskins would be fine also.  Make sure you wear the Marena at night also so that the implants do not fall laterally. 

Deborah

• altered_reality

Wow! ......Dr. Gregory Scott is my doctor also.

I just can't seem to think straight lately..... So just the Marena at night is okay for now until I get the Champion?  What about the Natori Foundations Sports Bra 34439?

I'll give Nordies a call.....

Found the Champion 1691 at Amazon also.

Thanks!!! 

• tamgam
    tamgam Member Posts: 83

Altered_reality: I do not have any advice but just wanted to send you some positive energy!  This whloe process is anxiety filled but these girls make it sooo much easier. Best of luck to you!

• altered_reality

Thanks for sending that positive energy my way tamgam! I very much appreciate it!

• whippetmom

altered_reality:  Oh do you really have Dr. Scott?  I thought you possibly had McMillan or Tan - since you said "she" - but I just went back and saw you were referring to the PA, as she, not your PS.  I love Dr. Scott. He is a wonderful doctor and he will do whatever he needs to do to make you happy.  Give it two months and he will be fine with underwires, if you want to wear them.  A good underwire bra to try is the Wacoal Awareness. 

Did you get silicone implants?

Oops...forgot to add:  Yes, the Marena is perfect for now and the Champion is just so that you have an alternative.  Just sleep in the bra which is most comfortable.  Then, go to Nordstrom and tell the fitter you need a wireless bra which encapsulates the implants.

• altered_reality

I too am very happy with  Dr. Scott. He really is such a wonderful doctor!

Yes, I did get the silicone implants. Natrelle #20 500cc.  

It will be interesting to find out what size I really am.  I have two of the same style Warner's underwire bras (no padding) in a 34 D that I tried on today and they fit perfectly. The Danskins are a 36 C.   Guess it just depends on the manufacturer. 

Thanks for the tip about the Wacoal Awareness. I'll keep that in mind.

I really appreciate how helpful you have been, Deborah.  THANK YOU!!! 

• LG300
    LG300 Member Posts: 512

Val and Whippetmom - Thank you so much for your advice!!  I'll check out the Wacoal Awareness bra.

Cleo - I'd also recommend the Moving Comfort - Fiona sports bra that Whippetmom mentioned.  Very comfortable and good support.

• cleo100
    cleo100 Member Posts: 75

thank you for the great suggestions on sports bras, Deborah and LG300. I was off to ebay but had forgotten i had previously registered and forgot my orignal username. It was e-mailed to my house so I have to wait until tonight. Sadly, I can't get the Champion powersleek because it only runs in small, medium, large. Sure hope the first bra is still available when i get home tonight!

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

altered_reality - WELCOME!!  Sounds like Deborah got you fixed up for now.....how wonderful that you share a PS!   I second her opinions on bras to wear for now.  It really can be tough - just so many choices, trying to follow seemingly conflicting PS's guidelines, etc.  We're here for you, though!  And btw.....34D has the same cup size as 36C....."sister sizes", so to speak.....you just don't want to be in a band that's too big as it won't offer adequate support.

Cleo - Deborah's theory of larger implants and wired bras for sleeping makes sense.  My implants are a good bit smaller, so I can and do sleep in underwire (am frankly not as comfy w/o them, go figure....)    A wirefree with good lateral support sounds like exactly what you need.  Check out Anita, Chantelle, and Fantasie (though off the top of my head I'm not sure Fantasie does wirefree...).  Although they're not ideal for fitted tops, bras with seams do offer superior support, so you might consider those.  Chantelle has some that are wirefree: http://www.herroom.com/Chantelle-3375-Cachemire-Soft-Cup-3-Part-Bra.shtml 

http://www.herroom.com/Chantelle-2102-Amazone-Soft-Cup-Bra.shtml

Good luck!

• bigdogmom2
    bigdogmom2 Member Posts: 9

Hey Ladies, I have really appreciated this topic and have been doing alot of research on bras.  I had my exchange November 16th and am now cleared to wear any type of bra (underwires are all good).  So I went to Nordstroms and had a fitting and ended up buying 3 bra's (of course I don't have the style numbers with me at the moment)  they were Wacoal all underwire.  So my question is does anybody have any problems with the wires that come up between the breasts digging in and rubbing your skin until it hurts?  All three of mine do that :0(  I am really discouraged as I was so excited to finally be able to wear a normal bra and now to have all three do that.  I will be headed back to Nordstroms to return them, they were quite expensive.  Is there any advice for someone with an issue like mine.

Thanks so much for any help! 

Cheryl

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

I think that you might want to look into the European style bras: Chantelle, Freya, Panache as they seem to fit better.  I had no luck with the Wacoal thaough they have worked here for some.  Once I found out my size from Nordstroms I purchased on ebay (only on sites that except returns) for much less.  Good luck and don't lose hope. 

• cleo100
    cleo100 Member Posts: 75

Thanks for the suggestions, Val. I will check them out tonight from home. Can't get on those sites at work. I was able to buy the e-bay bra though and am very excited with a great price and no shipping charges! It doesn't get much better than that. Thanks for the legwork, Deborah!

• altered_reality

Hi val61,

Thanks for the info concerning 36B having the same cup size as 34D..... Good to know and I'll keep that in mind about the size of the band and adequate support.

Thanks for being here! 

• stlcardsfan
    stlcardsfan Member Posts: 227

Nordstroms wins again!!!

I did it, went and got measured yesterday. The lady who helped me is 4 years certified breast fitter, reconstruction, mastectomy etc. She measured me, went out to get some bras, came back, first one fit perfectly!!! I was shocked that it fit so well! I also wanted to get some sports bras to sleep in, and again she found two that worked really well.

I got the Chantelle C Underwire style 3582  in 36D

For the sports bras, got Wacoal style 85276 in 36C, and Donna Karan style 35237 also 36C. The Donna Karan is neat as it has very good side support.

For reference I got Natrelle #20 400 cc implants and rib cage measures 32. 

this Thread is Great!! 

• whippetmom

Cleo: The Champion Powersleek runs in band and cup sizes - but they just don't have anything smaller than a 34 band.

Cheryl:  What is your ribcage circumference and what style and volume are your implants? As MBJ mentioned, you might need to try the European styles for wired bras.  If the wires are cutting into your breast mound, it sounds as though the cup is too small.  The wires under the cups should be resting under the IMF on the ribcage.  The center gore wires should be resting on the sternum.  Do you want to take a picture of yourself in the bra and post it on the pictures forum so that we can see what might be going on?

• val61

Cheryl - the other possibility is that the cups are too big.  I experience that with a Freya swimsuit top this past summer.  I thought it fit, but after wearing it for awhile, I was not a happy camper!  If your pain is coming from the wires in the center - between the foobs - pressing against the sternum, that may be the problem.  When the cups fit properly, they're snug (but not too snug) enough to SLIGHTLY pull the center wires off the sternum - I'm talking 1/8-1/4".  If you look on Lilah's bra thread on the pic forum, I have a pic that illustrates this, but could not begin to tell you what page it's on......anybody else know?  I'll get on the pic forum to find out......

• whippetmom

Thank you for clarifying Val....yes...what you describe is the mechanism which should occur when the wired bra fits properly.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

stlouiscardsfan - SO GLAD that Nordstrom's went well for you!  Did you call ahead to get a fitter certified in reconstruction?  My first visit at Nordie's wasn't good at all and I'd love to know how you did it.  So happy for you!  Laughing

• Estel

thanks ladies for all the info re bra marks.  I must have a weird body because a freya 30D ... the cups fit sooooo good but the wires press on the lateral side of the implants.  A 30DD the lateral underwire side is OK but I get marks on the inside of the foobs and the cups are too big!  Grrrrr!  I've kind of just given up and figure it is better to have cups that are a little big than have the lateral underwires press on the implants.  Any suggestions??

• val61

Dawne-Hope - where do you get the marks on the inside on the 30DD?  Are they from the center wires pushing against your sternum?  As for the lateral part of the wires, they can be along the edge of the implants - which might be construed as "pushing" against them, I guess - they just shouldn't "cut" into the implants at all.  The implants should be "encapsulated" in the wires.  Also, have you really done the "scoop" technique to make sure that the foobs are really set in your bra?  That can make a difference in fit.  If all that still leaves you with cups that are too big, then you'll have to try another brand.  Natori cups tend to run small, so that might work - then again, they don't make a 30, so that won't work.  Hmmmmm......now you've got me thinking.......

• Estel
    thanks, val!  I'm still not wearing my 30's yet ... my left nip is still store ... I've had healing issues with that side, so I'm still not back to my 'normal' bras yet.  Reading all these posts just got me thinking ... you all are good at that, you know?  Wink
  • Estel

Ran across this article today via twitter @lindathebralady

You can donate your bras and receive discounts.  I have a lot of bras that I'll never be able to wear again.  It looks legit.

http://blog.lindasonline.com/2011/01/11/donate-a-bra-for-haiti-receive-20-off-your-next-order/

• Estel

The more I think about it ... 30D may be my size.  I'll try the 'lift and wiggle' thing and see where the lateral wire lies. 

• stlcardsfan
    stlcardsfan Member Posts: 227
    Dawne-Hope  Actually, I started at Ann's Bra shop, and after about 40 minutes I was ready to run out of there. Every bra they brought me had thin straps and was padded underwire. I finally bought one to get out of there. I returned it today. I then drove over to Nordstrom's and saw two ladies walking around. They asked if they could help me and I explained that I was looking to be fitted. The manager told me about her 4 years certified etc, and said she would help me in about 10 minutes once she finished with the other two ladies who were there before me. When we were done she gave me her card, and I plan on calling next time to make sure she is working before going in again. I went to the one in West County off of 270 and Manchester Road.
  • Estel

stlouis - I'm sorry you didn't have a good visit at Ann's.  That's disappointing!  Very glad your day was redeemed at Nordstrom's!  Could you pm (private message) me the name of the fitter you had?  I've had a couple fittings there and both were new.  I'd like to have someone more experienced next time.  Thank you!