Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• SusansGarden
    SusansGarden Member Posts: 754

I can't believe the exact same bra was $76 at Nordys and $24.99 online! That's crazy!  I'm curious to see how I measure at Nordstrom's when I'm a few months out.

Since PS okayed me to wear a wireless bra now...I did go to VS yesterday (embarrassed to say it was my first time buying a bra there!) and tried on MBJ's recommended wireless "body by victoria".  Very comfy & fit the implants nicely!  I ended up buying 3!  I measured out a 36C ... so if I stay on track and lose these last 15-20 lbs I could end up a 34D! Surprised

Though I was kinda surprised how it seemed like all the bras at VS are quite "padded".  The "body by Victoria" that I got said it only had "light lining"...but it seemed pretty thick to me?  So I think I actually do LOOK like a 36C in this bra because of the padding.  I think I would look quite a bit smaller if this had no lining in it?      

• ericavw
    ericavw Member Posts: 51

whippetmom: Of course!!! We gotta get some enjoyment outta this. Hehehehee.

SusansGarden: Um, me either!! I'm glad I convinced myself I only needed one at Nordstrom's. Now I'm getting the other two I wanted on eBay!. I bought 3 of the Body by Victoria wireless too. I love them!!! Super comfy, but definitely not "lightly" lined in my book. However, being a uni... I kinda need that to cover my non-nipple vs. nipple now. And that bra looks great under a t-shirt. Can barely see it!

• SusansGarden

I agree about the Body by V looking great under a T-shirt! It's "casual Friday" at my work and I'm looking quite "perky" in my v-neck t-shirt and jeans if I don't say so myself!

I will have to remember to stop myself from buying more than ONE at Nordys too!

So how many bras do you guys end up buying?  I've never really owned more than 2 or 3! Embarassed 

• ericavw
    SusansGarden: Same for me! I used to own just a nude, white and black bra. Now I bought those three colors again in the Body by Victoria wireless, the new Chantelle from Nordy's, the two Chantelle's I'm bidding on on eBay (eee!), 3 Coobies that I haven't worn, 4 Bandini's that I sleep in, 1 cheapy bra when I was in my expansion phase, anddddd one Danskin sports bra for the past 3 weeks. I can't even imagine the amount of bras Val and Mary have. I guess when you have boobs, it's pretty fun to get pretty bras on them!! Teehee. Innocent I'm succumbing to the pretty bras!
  • Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

LOL Erica about butt cancer (ok sorry to laugh at anything cancer but really that is so cute what your hubby said)!  I love the Chantelle bras... I got one early on after surgery and it was both comfy and pretty AND wire free. 

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Erica:  After chemo I lost my butt for a short while-it came back much to my DH's relief, lol!  I am a 34D or DD or 36D in VS.  Depends on the bra!

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

I have 2 white sports bras, 3 black sports bras, and 4 nude Chantelle's and one black Chantelle - just couldn't resist when I could get the Chantelles on e-bay - the bidding is fun isn't it?  Not too much luck getting sports on e-bay - I like the Athleta brand.  Have fun everyone!!  I need more room for my bras.  Oh and a couple from Victoria Secret.

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Yay, Erica, on your successful Nordies trip!  You're SO right about size, too.  When I told a friend who lives far away that I was now a 30DD, she nearly choked, but when she saw me a few months later, she said, that I looked more like a B.  I say I look like a small C, probably.

My dh is definitely NOT a boob guy, since he married me and my formerly AAA self!  (I know there's not really a AAA cup, that's just to illustrate just how flat I really was.....didn't even fit into the training bras in the little girls' department really...)  He even left me a beautiful note the morning after my exchange when he went to work: " I loved you even when you were breastless."   Think I'll keep him.....Smile However, he'll be the first to admit that he adores the "new girls!"  He's more of a butt guy, too, and when I lost mine with all the surgeries, he was sad.  That's when I instigated "Operation Beyonce" to get that baby back.  Still working on that.......

• val61

Okay......if y'all must know how many bras I have, here goes.......   4 Bendon sports bras, 3 lululemon sports bras, 2 strapless (one nude, one black), 4 black & 3 nude structured (little bit of lining/padding) bras, 3 mesh sexy bras that I sleep in, 2 black & 3 nude unlined bras, and 1 wireless bra that I got after my exchange from my PS.  OMG......that's like 25 bras!!  And I would have more, but just had to send my first set of Freya Pollyanna's to pasture......    Do y'all think I need therapy?

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Val - I think I have you beat in the bra dept. I have 4 SOMA sports bras (non wired), 2 Lunaire sports bras ( non wired), 6 various mastectomy bras, 4 SOMA Emma style in diff. Colors which are underwired, 4 Lacey sexy SOMA Selena underwired, 2 non underwired SOMAs and 1VS Ipex, not to mention my " surgical" bras which I still sleep in. This totals 27 plus the surgical ones and I think I might get a few more Lacey Selenas as they really support and are comfortable. I tell myself when you wear them 24 hours a day, minus shower and swim time, you need more. My PS and his nurse just laugh about my "too pretty" bras and at work they think that I would have a real bad day not to have a pretty bra on. The pretty ones do help my mood for the day. Better than anti-depressants - LOL.

• ericavw

I am CRACKING up and both of your comments, Val and Delilahbear! You guys are awesome. I'm aspring to your bra madness. When you finally have boobs to fill em... it's so nice to get perrrty ones! Hah!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

I'm not even going to go there ... how many bras I have!  Embarassed

I went a little crazy on ebay after my nordies visit! 

You're right erica!  If you got 'em ... put in something perty!  Laughing

• val61

Yes, Deliahbeah, you DO have me beat!  You should own stock in Soma!! 

Absolutely, Dawne-Hope & Erica!  I think we all more than earned those pretty bras, don't you?  Anybody who can put up with foreign objects pushing against their ribs to stretch what little skin was left after their boobs were cut off deserves something of beauty!!

• fire-dancer
    fire-dancer Member Posts: 444

amen, val!!! I love all you ladies and your bra collections - I own a whopping 5 sports bras right now...but I see major amounts of lace, colors of red, black, hot pink & everything in between in my future - man, I cannot wait till my Nordies appt next week!!! :-)  Erica, we are about to embark on a whole new appreciation of what we keep our new girls in, I was ok pre-bc wearing whatever was in the drawer, but watch out - I'm on a mission to dress these gals up nice and pretty!!!

• ericavw

Hell yes, ladies!!

And I DID see the Body by Victoria wireless in a hot pink that was soooooo cute!! 

• fire-dancer

Erica - once again I wish we lived close enough to go bra shopping together and do it up right!!!  

• SusansGarden

You all are hilarious! Do you guys keep them all neatly lined up like the drawers at VS? I used to just throw my bras in a drawer and washed them in the machine and sometimes even (gasp!) threw them in the dryer! now I'm wanting to take better care of them! Can't imagine putting these pretty VS bras in the dryer!!!

delilahbear~ you really like the Soma's, huh? This could be good (or bad!) because we have a Soma store that recently opened up practically down the street from me! I've bought their underwear...never really considered bras....until now!

• fire-dancer

just picturing the VS drawer...hilarious!

...and yes - I ALWAYS threw my bras in the dryer (tsk...tsk), not anymore!!!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

I've become quite the hand-washer.  I've never washed any clothing by hand in my life ... now it's hand-wash, baby!  No washer or dryer for these bras!  :)

Just wait until you find the matching undies to go with the pretty bras ... it's exponential, ladies!  Watch out!  Surprised  Wink  Laughing

• Lilah

LOL Val and Delilahbear -- I don't know what I would DO with that many bras!

• ericavw

I am cracking up over here!!

Megan (fire-dancer): For real!!! Hahaha.

SusansGarden: I don't even know where to PUT mine. I only had a few before BC, and I stuffed them in the drawer AND washed and dryed them (I alwasy only wore VS too, and they held up very well even with my man handling of them) but these Chantelle's, there is no way I'm drying them! The lady at Nordy's said to wash them on delicate in a laundry bag and line dry. Not sure I own a laundry bag... going to have to invest.

Dawn-Hope: And undies?? Good Lord! Don't let me go down thatttt path too! I recently just threw out all my old undies and got new ones from VS. I hate thongs, but their "lacie" thong is super comfy! I got one in every color. Hahahahaha!!!! Innocent 

• citykitty
    citykitty Member Posts: 44

Hi y'all -- I'm jumping into this thread probably a lot later than I should have.  I feel like I'm behind the power curve!  Had my exchange a week ago, and post-op two days ago.  They put me in a supportive bra for 6 weeks, but I don't like the fit.  I think I need to go shopping for a sports bra; not sure my current sports bras are going to work for what I need now.  I have a unilateral mx and a small implant augmentation on the contralateral side.  I have IMF incisions on both sides.

Any tips on finding a sports bra with the right kind of support, especially on the sides?  I was a 34B, tried to maintain about the same size, but no telling what I am now.  Do I need to go to Nordstrom and get measured first?  (I read the first couple of pages and the last couple of pages here; hoping not to have to read 64 pages to figure it all out!!)

SusansGarden, no mesh laundry bag?  That is so funny; I have a drawerful of them!

Hi erica, I think we may be neighbors and somewhat similar body types, too!

• citykitty

BTW, for washing my molded padded cup bras, I use one of these:

Bra Ball

Edited to add:  Darn it, I tried to make that link open in a new window, but it won't.  Sorry.

• ericavw

cittykitty: I'm a uni with an augment to the native side and IMF incisions too! Anddd I live in Northwestern NJ. The first 3 days post op, I had to wear the little daisy duke outfit they put me in (it was tight and flowered!). All bandaged up with a velro like compression top. After that he told me to wear a sports bra, so I purchased the Hanes Bandini. Wore that for about a week (and I still wear it to bed) then purchased a more supportive Danskin sports bra at Wal-Mart and I wore that everyday. It was a big longer so it didn't rub on my incisions. That worked well for me. I'm about 6 weeks out now, and my PS said I can now wear whatever bra I want (apparently he thinks my incisions look phenomenal. Usually he'd make someone wait a few more weeks for the underwire). I just got measured at Nordstrom's on Thursday. I wanted to wait for any swelling or what have you. 

hillck: I'm gonna get one of those laundry bags now! Definitely in order for me! Thanks. Laughing 

• citykitty

Erica, I'm in Hoboken.  Makes a lot of sense not to get measured until things settle down a little!  I guess I shouldn't need to get measured for a sports bra I'll wear for only 6 weeks?  Just need to get out there and try on a bunch of them?

Wearing a sports bra in regular clothes drives me crazy.  They tend to flatten me out, even my nice encapsulated padded ones (I don't think I can wear my current ones because I think they are short enough to irritate the IMF).  Yesterday I went through my entire wardrobe trying to pick out what clothes I can wear to work to camouflage my continued "under construction" state.  It was easy to cover the TEs with sweaters and scarves in winter, but now that it's suddenly gotten warm, it's a lot more difficult to cover up inconspicuously.

• SusansGarden

I'm gonna order me a BRABALL!  I was just watching the video on that link and my 17 yr old son could hear the audio of the amazing virtues of the "bra ball"... he just shook his head, lol!

citykitty ~ I struggled finding something to wear last week to work with the sports bra...mine was flattening me out too.  And I knew everyone was going to be looking at my new chest! 

• Lilah

Ladies -- wear loose blouses right now and you'll be fine in the heat.  It is just for a few weeks!  After 3 weeks I was able to start wearing regular bras...

• ericavw

citykitty: Okay, I got this one at Wally World in white... it worked okay for me and didn't flatten me out. It's sort of molded. The bandini defnitely flattens, but it's stretchy and comfy so that's why I wore it at night. Here's the link for the Danksin:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-Now-Women-s-Adjustable-Back-Foam-Sports-Bra/15540022

This one is very similar:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-Now-Adjustable-Back-Foam-Sport-Bra/14506205

I was okay under clothes with both of those... but I was an A or AA previously, soooo...

• fire-dancer

I think I would want to order the braball just on name alone!  I haven't watched the link, but I can already tell it's gonna be a must-have! Tongue out

I have been wrapped up in the sports bra and wearing slim-t's pretty much everyday.  I haven't worn anything revealing, slinky, or even form fitting yet and can only imagine how it'll be once I get a good bra on these girls!  I think I'll be so preoccupied by the foobs being "out there", it'll take getting used to, but I guess thats just the way it is...I imagine I will "think" people are checking 'em out even if they aren't, just because I'm always gawking at them when I walk past a mirror or window and catch a peek of them doesn't mean the whole world is...oh, the hazards of my being foob-occupied! ;-) 

• SusansGarden

Megan ~ totally relate to the "catching a glimpse" in a window/mirror!  Now when I'm gone from the room for a while... my hubby will shout out, "quit staring at your boobs in the mirror!"... and chances are he is right! lol!