Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Cameron
    Cameron Member Posts: 128

I have 2 general guidelines I've read a lot about, I explain it best like this:

1.  Most women aren't used to how tight a properly supportive band will feel. (Woman place too much burden on the straps, the band should be doing the hardest work!) 

2.  Most women with round implants, especially, will be a D or DD cup after reconstruction. (There are exceptions) Why? One simple measurement: the width at the base of the implant.  I don't care how much silicone you got goin' on, you can't properly support your implants if they aren't being encapsulated.  Implants are designed to make boobs bigger, and probably a man designed them, so there ya go. Case closed.

If you would've told me in December I'd know this much about bras, boobs, foobs, TE's, and silicone...I'd have said, "for starters, what the hell is a foob?" Sealed.  

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Val:  I couldn't even get a 32 bra to close on the first hook!!!  Also, my breasts are wide across my chest so a 32 bra would cut me off in the most uncomfortable of places-cutting off the breast.  Not sure if this is true with everyone, but I am barely fitting into 34's (I use the first hook) but a 36 is usually too loose!

I do love your measurement ideas, though. 

• ericavw
    ericavw Member Posts: 51

I am totally in MBJ's boat. I literally, can not even close a 32" on my back. If I do a 34D, it's doable... but definitely pinching me (and I AM only 3 weeks out, so I'm sure I'm puffy still). 36C is comfortable right now, but I thinking that may change once I'm healed as well. I wonder if we just have wider backs? I was always told I have a wide back. I have no idea, cause we measure all the way around. Val's measurements totally make sense, so I don't understand why they won't work for me. Also, Mary and I are tall. I'm 5'9" and she's 6'. Wonder if that has anything to do with it... I would say I have a medium sized frame overall. Really is frustrating!

• MBJ

Erica:  I am still a bit puffy on my left side--I get a bit of lymph fluid build up there. 

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176

Hello everyone - I am new to this thread.  I will be having my last chemo infusion this week, and if all goes well I will be having my exchange surgery on April 25th.  Then about 3-4 weeks later I start Rads of my supraclavical and axilla lymph node, but not radiating the chest wall.  

Originally I was going to have the exchange after Rads, but the fold of my left TE is trying to push out at the incision.  So the PS wants to do the exchange ASAP after chemo.  Both my PS and RO said the implant should be fine with Rads since I am not radiating my chest, keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

I have a few questions regarding bras for you knowledge ladies.  There is so much information here and I have been reading through it, but still not caught up yet.  So my apologies if it has already been addressed, I just might not have gotten to that location yet in the thread.

My PS wants me to wear a sports bra which zips in front.  How do I know which size to get since I am not sure of what the actual cup size will be until after the exchange, I have a clue, probably a B (I am downsizing), but don't actually know.  What happens if the cup size is too big or too small with the sports bra right after surgery?  Or should I focus on sports bras which don't really have cups?  Would they be supportative enough?  

Also, since it is highly recommended to wear a bra 24/7 for some time after the exchange, do any of you have a recommendation for a particular bra to wear while going through Rads, since I will be starting mine so closely after exchange surgery?

Thank you. 

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Cameron - I couldn't have said it better myself, girl!!  Only in my wildest dreams would I have needed even an A-cup bra, let alone an underwire!   And the first time my girlfriends heard me refer to "the new girls" as my "foobs,"  you'd have thought I was doing stand-up for Jay Leno! 

MBJ and Erica  - I certainly wasn't trying to tell y'all that you needed 32's!.....only that that is a good place to START from.  Smile

Yes, it's possible that height does have something to do with it (I'm not exactly short at 5'7"), but probably more how your ribcage is shaped.  They're just all different.  Also, a fuller back could easily distort how the bra fits, taking up more of the band in the back, thus causing the cups to not be positioned correctly.  As for the implants being wider, that's why the smaller the band, the bigger the cup.  A 34C cup is identical to a 32D cup - within the same manufacturer, that is.   

When I brought my collection of bras to my PS for him to choose the best one - after I'd been fitted at Nordstrom, but couldn't shop there 'cause they didn't have my size (go figure) - I was completely breathless - LITERALLY - when he chose the 30 then proceeded to hook it on the TIGHTEST hook!  His instructions:  wear it that way for the next 3-4 months except to shower! (and working out - that was a whole other lovely set of bras!)  Honestly, I was beyond misesrable.  I had red marks, I itched, I complained, and I cried.  But, despite all that, I was determined to follow his instructions, because I knew there was a reason - he's just that kind of doc.  Amazingly, within about 3-4 weeks, I suddenly realized one day that I wasn't thinking about how uncomfortable I was.  Granted, the bras had obviously relaxed a bit - which, incidentally, they're supposed to do - that's why they should feel extra tight initially - but more significant, my body had become accustomed to the feel of the tighter band.  Now, I'm frankly not comfortable if I'm in a looser bra.  I just had to go through my drawers and toss the first 3 that I got with my exchange because they've become too loose and consequently aren't as supportive.  So if you're worried about the investment - which seems really big initially for some brands of bras - they really do last if taken care of (no machine washing).   

The bottom line is.....it's going to take a little....okay, perhaps a lot.....of time to find the right bra that meet your - and your PS's - needs.  Just one more frustrating part of our BC journey, girls!  In the long run, though, I really think we'll be happier because we'll have less migration of our implants, and consequently less chanceof needing revisions in a couple of years!

• val61

Proudmom - I promise I'll answer your question asap - but someone may beat me to it.  I've got to run to pick up a friend at the airport.  We promise to help as best we can, though!

• MarieK
    MarieK Member Posts: 467

I tried a front zip sports bra but it didn't work for me!  I'm a UNI and the natural boob kept getting in the way. I must also have some lingering motor control issues from chemo because I had a tough time even starting the zipper!

I found a great sports bra (pull on style) at REI.  It's a SERENA Seamless Sports Bra in size M/L and love that it is charcoal grey coloured (called Ebony on the tag) for $38.

Remember when putting these on PULL them up your body, pull out the straps up and over your arms and then adjust to fit. 

Do not get caught in the sports bra torture position trying to put them on over your head - you know stuck with your arms up and unable to move!

• MarieK

Val - I think it was you that said to bend over and "shake" your boobs into your bra after/while you get it  on. 

This has been very valueable advice for me since I'm a UNI and my natural side even lifted/reduced still needs some adjusting when getting into a bra.

MBJ - does your new nipple stick out like your natural one?  I'm still on the fence to nip or not nip and I'm wondering if it will help with my projection on my implant side.

• MarieK

Ok I just reread my post and I meant "get it on" like to get on the bra not some kind of pre-sex dance or anything like that...

• val61
    LOL, Marie!  Not that a sports bra would generally lead to such encounters anyway......Wink  Do I understand correctly that the REI sports bra can pull up over your hips?  That would be great!  My PS had me on arm movement restriction for a couple weeks after my exchange - and I know other's have had the same restrictions - so we couldn't have pulled something over our heads anyway.     An yes, it was me who described about lifting the foob/boob and positioning it in the bra.  It really does make a difference, doesn't it?     
  • val61

Proudmom - Okay.....where to begin.....First of all, congrats on finishing chemo!  Sounds like you are in for one crazy busy April!  I didn't have rads, but plenty on here have, so I'm hoping someone will pop in to give you some pointers on that angle.  What I do know is that you're going to want something soft, as you could have some irritation from the axillary rads, which could make wearing a bra less than comfy.  Why does your PS want you in a zip-front sports bra?  Did he say why?  Most of them are pretty high-cut, and I'm afraid they may be irritating.  Ideally, you do want a bra with some structure - not just a stretchy nylon thing.  Although it's not a sports bra, you might try Warner's Elements of Bliss Two-Ply Bra, style #1003.  I know they carry them at Macy's, cause I saw one there a few days ago.  Also available online lots of places (herroom, barenecessities) Here it is on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Warners-Elements-Wire-Free-Plushline-1003/dp/B000X036PI     It's wirefree, and super-soft.  It doesn't have a band, per se, so it's not really irritating around, plus is have absolutely no trim or even piping along the upper edge; that means it will be less irritating under the arms, but also that there's nothing to exert pressure on the implants to push them outward. 

If your PS absolutely insists on a sports bra, check on this one from Moving Comfort.  It comes in either  A/B or C/D styles.  Although you say you're going to be a B, just know that you might end up LOOKING like a B, but you'll more than likely actually wear a C cup, as implants are wider than natural breasts.  So, you might choose the C/D option.  here it is:  http://www.movingcomfort.com/dyn_search.php?q=grace&update=GO&utm_source=adwords&gclid=CJ_Ny7n7kqgCFRG4KgodPSM7Cw

Hope this helps a bit.  Keep us posted!

• MBJ

Marie:  Yes, my new fipple does stick out like my natural nipple, just slightly more, in fact.  If I am able to get one more round of fat grafting and he puts more under the areola, it will have lots more projection, as long as I am not flexing my muscles.

Val:  I always thought I had a huge rib cage so I was surprised to find I was only 30"--before recon my ribs stuck out further then my breasts, so it's nice to fill out a bra!  I find I prefer the tighter 34's to the 36's and hardly ever wear these.  I keep a couple for a couple of tops that need them, otherwise 34 fits much more securely.

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Marie -- you are such a riot!  And thanks for the photo -- that is a nice looking bra :) 

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176

MarieK and val61 - Thank you for the information on those bras.

My PS wants my is a front closure sports bra following surgery so that I don't lift my arms and strain myself getting into a compression type bra for the first couple of weeks.  I think after a few weeks I can start wearing other supportive type bras as my implants settle in.  I hope so considering RADs will be starting soon after the surgery.   

• MarieK

Val I don't have any trouble pulling up a sports bra over my hips - and I'm not a slim hipped waif. 

I just measured and my hips - at the widest part across my butt - are 40 inches!

• MBJ

Nordstroms is having their 30-40% off sale and there are lots of pretty bras!

• ericavw

Oooh! Thanks, MBJ!

And Marie... don't you worry about that. Mine are 41". I've definitely got Beyonce's body! Lol.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

erica:  Well, armed with THAT measurement, it is a good thing indeed that the top half now balances out the bottom half, eh?

• ericavw

Right?! I'm just like my Momma, and scarily... it ain't all fat. I don't know WHAT I do that makes me have such big leg/butt muscles, but the better to carry me around with I suppose. Haha. Thank God I'm a tad more ballanced now indeed!

• val61

erica- I feel the same way - finally balanced - 'cause I've got those big dancer's thighs.....  Besides, I think Beyonce's butt is great.....Smile

• val61

Ladies - I may be off the boards here for a couple days while I have my dear friend visiting from SC!  If I have a few moments in between all the chatting, shopping, eating, and drinking we'll be enjoying, I'll do my best to check in.  Otherwise, I'll pop back in Sunday.....

Be good and wear your bras!  Wink

• ericavw

Have fun, Val!

And that's what my DH says... good thing he was always a "butt man". Hah! 

• Cameron

VAL! "Be good and wear your bras!" HA ha I love it.

...totally making that my signature line and of course I'll cite you!... 

• Cameron

I'm just testing out my new siggy, please just indulge me, I'm bored...

• ericavw

Hah!!! Cameron, I love it!!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Cameron -- love the new sig!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

hillck - You haven't had your exchange yet, correct?  I would definitely check with your PS before you go bra shopping.  Some of our PS's said no to underwires for three or more months (mine did), others like Val61's wanted her in an underwire very quickly.  Some of us changed sizes over time (I did, MBJ did), while others of us stayed the same.  So ... check with your PS on what they require or don't require, get yourself a good front closure sports bra that you can wear soon after your exchange (go back a few pages and there's good discussion on what work those bras might be) and know that a whole new world awaits ... one of my favorite quotes from Val61 is, "Before BC I didn't know a freya from a fruit of the loom."  Yes, indeed ... me neither!  A whole new world awaits ...  Wink LaughingKiss

We're here for you! 

• SusansGarden
    SusansGarden Member Posts: 754

Boy you aren't kidding about each PS being different! Just got back from my pre-op for the exchange and he said I will be going home with a surgical bra...but if it uncomfortable I don't have to wear it. And he specifically wants me to wear loose non structured bras for the first 6 weeks..nothing tight or binding...says that could risk the incision popping. So weird that each one has such different post surgery protocol for their patients! And I asked him specifically about recommended bras after the six weeks...did I need to wear an underwire? Do I need to make sure the implants are securely in place? Etc.....and he said "not at all" ...just make sure it's comfortable. How bizarre.

• ericavw

Susansgarden: Isn't it crazy how different they all are? Mine said a sports bra 2 days after surgery that wouldn't rub against my incisions, then I saw him 5 days later and he said to wear a sports bra for another month, but after one more week... I could not wear one at night if I wanted. I talked to a lot of ladies on here and the pic forum and ended up with a more structured sports bra during the day, and a more spandexy one at night just for some comfort (anddd I'm still sleeping on my back just in case!) Crazyness.