Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,275

Joan:  I got my bra prescription from my Onco.  My BS also offered one.  You might try that.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

JoanDavies - Ask your PS anyway ... just because HE doesn't recommend it ... maybe it's more about how YOU feel.  It's not about HIM it's about YOU.  I'd ask anyway!  I don't have insurance right now and so it is not an option for me ... but it cannot hurt to ask.  If he won't give it to you ... ask your BS. Some of these docs make me so angry!  They haven't a clue what it feels like ... and most of us feel better WITH a bra than without one.  GRRRR!  Yell

I'll get off my soap box now ... but I would definitely ask him!!!  Tongue out You've nothing to lose!  Laughing

• fire-dancer
    fire-dancer Member Posts: 444

I wasn't offered a script - I called after Nordies told me about to look into it, I asked...and a nurse practioner wrote one for my PS.  He is almost impossible to just "chat" with - he's the chief and always MIA...defnitley inquire and see what the office  can do...BS is a great idea, too!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

You can go to Nordies and get fitted for nothing... and if you want to buy, you can still buy! 

• fire-dancer

good point, Lilah!!! 

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969
    Welcome, Joan!  So happy to have you here with us!  Dawne-Hope and the others are quite correct.....just because he doesn't require a bra, doesn't mean that you can't have one.....or two or three or.......sorry, I digress......    Anyway, it's certainly worth a phone call to your PS to check.  I never did check, as I'd already bought more than enough bras by the time I heard about the insurance.  However, now that it's time for replenishment, I may just look into it.  I have an appt with my PS for a checkup in a couple weeks, so perhaps I'll ask. 
  • val61
    Happy Mothers' Day, ladies!  Whether you're celebrating being a mother or having a mother, I hope you are blessed with beautiful memories today! Kiss
  • MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

I hope everyone had a lovely mother's day!!

Firedancer:  I went bra shopping too early at first and had to wait until I no longer hurt before I could try on bras.  I am still able to wear all of my bras, though my first 34DD is a bit big now, I can still wear it as a t-shirt bra. 

Ladies, I have been diligently working out at least 5 days a week and I went out and bought a VS bikini!!!  Can't wait until my abs look great enough to wear it.  I figured in two months it will finally be the right weather and I will finally have the right body, lol!  Also, my PS says he is going to do some more fat grafting and some body sculpting so maybe I will finally have a smaller waist, too.

• val61

MBJ - You go, girl!!!  You WILL get there and totally ROCK that bikini!

• fire-dancer

MBJ - go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm working on the abs-thing, too... went shopping today and will be buying a two piece, soon...getting comfortable with the cleavage is another thing, I will do it, weird to have so much "boob" hanging around, but damn, they looks good, though Laughing LOL!!!!!!!!!!

• ericavw
    ericavw Member Posts: 51

fire-dancer: hah! Right?! Foobage is super noticable in a bikini!

MBJ: Go you on the VS bikini! I buy all my bathing suits from there. Good thing too, because I only had to replace the tops to fit the new foobs, and they sell separates. Woot! I DID buy two entire new ones though. And if you're wanting to look busty in a suit? Um, this one definitely does the job!! And it comes in a zillion colors. I love it!! The Liya Push-Up Halter Top. Wowza. And very comfy!

• MBJ

Erica:  Ha, ha!  That's the same bikini top I bought!  Vavavoom!!!

• fire-dancer
    love that bikini top...but I've never ordered VS online...question, what do you guys order for  a bottom style?  I'm looking for one that is "forgiving" for my figure...still working on it, but I'm definitley not a huge fan of my 'junk in the trunk' Tongue out - maybe a little coverage but still cute? any recommendations? thanks, gals ;-)
  • minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,275

Can't resist jumping in since you are all having so much fun with the bikinis.  I'm still filling & won't have exchange until September.  In the meantime we start our community water aerobics in two weeks!!  I will definitely be wearing a T-shirt over either an old bathing suit or a bralet (fruit of the loom from WalMart - 3 for $10 - since I have no idea where I'll end up).  And maybe shorts for the bottom if the old suits look too bad.  Last year I was one of the class leaders but I have told them I will only be in the back this year.  Quite a come down.  Or rather I just have to work my way back up to feeling good abour exercize.  Anyway - enjoy your VS purchases.

• asmd
    asmd Member Posts: 11

look at spanx, non wire. supportive but lets breasts stay where they are

• Cameron
    Cameron Member Posts: 128

hmmm...Liya Push-Up Halter Top...(googling...googling...omg...OMG...LOVE IT.)

...just added that one to my MUST BUY NOW list!  Since I declared 2011 "the year of the halter", it was really a no-brainer!  Cool 

Did you guys need a size L to fit the new boobs? 

• MBJ

Cameron:  I did have to buy a large in the bikini top and a medium for the bottom.

Firedancer:  I bought a side tie bikini though what I really need is a higher style that is more forgiving, lol.  I am determined to get this body in shape in the next 2 months.  When you look at bikini bottoms you can click on available styles and a window pops up letting you choose which style is available to match.  There are slight variations.  Maybe a scoop bottom that is higher on the sides.  They also have an adjustable side one and a foldover style that might work for you.

Minustwo:  Last summer I had an expander on one side, and I just wore my existing one piece and stuck a pad on the other side.  If you are swimming you might want to sew or have one sewn in.  This worked fine and got me through summer.

• ericavw

MBJ, Cameron, and fire-dancer: Isn't that top great?? And it looks so good on!!! I got it in a medium (in two colors Smile), and I'm okay in that. I can see other ladies needing a large in it for sure though (There is a decent sized padding on the sides so it definitely is going to make you look a bit bigger. But very flattering, I say). As for the bottoms... I alwayssssssss buy side tie bottoms. I can't stand when it FORCES you to have a muffin top. Not cute at all! I also bought the Draped Wireless Push-Up Halter Top. I am in love with this bathing suit. Loveeee. I got this top in a medium, and the bottom in a large since it wasn't a side tie. The bottom is a teeeny bit big, but it doesn't give me love handles, so it's good to me! It's is rather low though. Very very flattering and pretty! (but like I said... I have a booty on me. Definitley a hip/butt/thigh girl.) The butt covers a good amount though. No skimp there. Love VS!

• fire-dancer
    Erica - loooove the draped wireless one, too!  I just looked it up and it is so great!  I am spending waaay too much time on the VS bathing suit website today, I can't decide which to order yet, I know the halter is in my future, but the bottoms are a question, I like your rationale about the muffin-top & a tie-side bottom, after 2 kids I could work out all day long, but alas I will always have a "mom pooch" in front - ugh!  I was thinking the adjustable or scoop bottom, BUT...might be time to venture to a tie side and live on the wild side ;-) I look at the models and think if I was that tan & tight everywhere I would where nothing else but bikini's 24/7 Tongue out
  • ericavw

Haha... I hear ya!! And hang out on the beach allllllllllllllll day. I'm a firm believer in the side ties. I think they're flatter for the stomach/love handle area. I also love the hot short/boy short, but unless you're 95 lbs... not looking so cute. The draped wireless really is a pretty bathing suit. Love.

• val61

Attention bikini lovers!  I want to share two brands that I love that might look familiar:  Freya and Fantasie.  Yes, those are bra companies that make swimwear!  Panache makes swimwear, too, I just haven't tried them.....yet, that is!

http://www.herroom.com/swimwear.aspx      

http://www.barenecessities.com/search.aspx?search=Women%27s+Swimwear&drv=37636&mode=1&msg=Bra-Sized+Swimwear&drvOld=37636&ext=1&

Last year, when the foobs were new (especially my revised side), I figured I needed as much support as I could get, so decided that going with swim tops made by a bra company couldn't be a bad thing.  I was correct!  I LOVED the three suits I got (two bikinis and a tankini).  All offered superb support - were underwire, but they do come wireless - and were pretty darn cute, too.  In fact, I used one of the pics my dh took of my at the beach last summer as my avatar for awhile.....maybe I'll pull that back out and show y'all.....Smile

One thing to be careful of, though, with buying swim tops :   watch that your scars are completely covered (though not an issue with you girls with IMF incisions.)   I noticed that several of the VS and other brands' swimsuits are very wide at the cleavage, and, at least for me, my incisions would be exposed.  Scars and sunlight are not good buddies, so just be careful......we want to keep our foobs as smooth and beautiful as they can be!

Hope y'all have a wonderful weekend!

• MBJ

Val:  Thanks for the bra/swim links.  I found that I need just a little bit of padding so the VS style works great and it just covers my scar--wouldn't want that showing at all!!!  I will post a picture of the bikini top and some new bras that I just bought too. 

Erica:  I gotta go check out the draped halter--don't remember seeing that one!  I so agree with you on the tie sides--I couldn't figure out why the other styles looked so bad and you are right-muffin top.  The boy shorts make me look like a boy with boobs--it's just wrong.  I think only an hourglass or athletic body could pull that look off. Must have a small waist-- Maybe Firedancer?

• MBJ

Draped Wireless Push-Up Halter Top:  Very sexy, though it has alot of fabric.  It reminds me of a 60's James Bond movie.  Something about the bottoms.  Not sure if I could pull the whole look off but give me two months, lol!

• MBJ
    I bought this one and it looked great and tres sexy from the front but very old lady from behind.  Sent it back, sigh!
  • fire-dancer

Val - thanks for the links!  I will be checking them out...I was wondering about support for this summer being that I'm only 8 weeks out now, I think I am going to need at least one suit that provides good/great support.  I am active in the summer, camping and live in a bathing suit for most of the day and also have plans to go river-tubing in NH in August.  I don't want anything to move where it shouldn't and I'll be physical & moving around quite a bit ...also, I tried on some suits the other day and my darn drain scars are somewhat noticable...I'm going to just have to keep the high SPF on them anyway in case they show...

MBJ & Erica - I was thinking of this thread and the bikini discussions as I pushed through an exhausting ab workout & strength training class this morning ;-)  ...I have done the boy short bottoms before, I'm pretty narrow so they are ok on me, I like them for undies and they were just ok for a swim suit, I DO like the style of the VS ones, tho, I've never bought a suit from them but this is the YEAR!!!   ...but gotta keep working on the "behind region" at the gym ;-) ...all the sitting around I did this winter healing has left me with a butt and some love handles that need a little firming!  I will take your comments about the string bikini's and try 'em out!  I have suffered thru the muffin-top and it's a drag...

I like the suit MBJ, the top of it is cute - too bad it wasn't as sexy from the back as it is in the front! :-)

• MBJ

Firestarter:  I don't like the string bikinis but I do like the side tie bikinis.  More distracting, lol!

• fire-dancer

ah, I think I made that mistake when I wrote, ok - tie side is different than string, got it! I obviously need to learn a thing or two about the different types of bikini's haha! ;-)

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

I have tried a Panache suit .... found it on one of the bra links ... can't remember if it was barencessities or herroom ... but I was parousing the 'clearance' link a couple of months ago and found a panache suit on sale for $9.99.  No joke.  I thought, 'What's wrong with it."  They had it in a 30D ... and bought it.  I have yet to wear it swimming but it feels good on.  It's a one-piece and an underwire and it feels great ... lots of support. 

So .... it's probably too late now to find a great deal on swimsuits, but always remember to check out the clearance on the bra sites ... you can get amazing deals there!!  Laughing

• MBJ

Thanks Dawne-Hope!

• citykitty
    citykitty Member Posts: 44

Hi all -- I'm just taking notes on the swimsuits!  Thanks for all the links!