Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• brca1953
    brca1953 Member Posts: 15

Dawne-Hope,  The purple U is right where the underwire is, cupping my breasts.  My exchange was 12 weeks ago and I think I'm healing pretty well.  I have the same problem with the molded cup in 32DD that I got at Nordstroms too.  It's a Natori Calais.  I only have a Dillard's and a Macys here in Boise Idaho.  I was in Portland Or. where they have a Nordstroms and a better bra selection. 

Thanks, Jo

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

brca1953 - I always have a red mark in the area where the underwire sat around my breasts.  There is an indentation.  So, having a mark there is normal.  Having a purple mark ... I think it may be too tight.  Does it hurt?  

I only have a Dillards and a Macy's near me too.  They carry Wacoal and that's about it.  I've never seen a Natori bra nor a Freya at either of them.  

I wish I had more advice to offer ... but I don't.  xo  

Val?? 

• Estel

hillck - They totally do!  I'm a D but I look like a B.  If you have a FB account, 'like' her page and she posts fun & educational stuff almost daily. She's "Linda the Bra Lady" on FB.

Here is something she posted today:

http://blog.lindasonline.com/?p=2532

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Ladies with questions -- Val texted me that she is going to be on at lunch time her time (in an hour or so)... her email notifications are down (like mine)... so stay tuned!

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Well, ladies, I'm FINALLY BACK HOME!!!

Not that I wouldn't much rather be back in the gorgeous state of CA - we went to wine country and the northern coast - but I did miss y'all!

I've read over  the posts, but may miss something, so if I do, please just repost your questions. Smile

Dawne-Hope summed up my sizing recommendations perfectly -most of us DO NOT need to add 4" to our ribcage for our band size; 2" is quite enough.  YES, it will most likely be tighter than what you're used to, but in a matter of weeks, you'll never even realize any difference.  I promise!  Also, remember to ALWAYS start wearing a bra on the loosest hook; that way, as it stretches - and it will quite quickly - you have some longevity for the bra. 

brca1953 - a 34 band SHOULD be good for you, but perhaps not.  If the marks were in the cleavage area, I'd say that your cup size is too large, but around the implants, that's not the issue.  Purple can indicate bruising, but can also indicatetoo much pressure on an area.  Red marks are less concerning; I pretty much always have some mark from the underwire after I take my bra off.  I did have a "purple" incident - and some of you may remember this - from when my PS and I were trying to reposition my left implant that had slid laterally, and I used a silicone pushup pad (instead of the gauze pads that he'd suggested), and ended up with a big purple spot on the side of my foob that scared the living daylights out of me.  Thankfully it resolved within a couple hours.  Does yours go away when you have the bra off? That would be a clue.           As for sizing, the"across the bust" measurement doesn't work for implants.  Measure one implant "up and over" starting at the very center of you cleavage (may not actually touch the implant) and ending at the lateral edge of the implant.  With that I can help you find your cup size.  

CorinneM1- Congrats on the bras!  I've not tried the Grenier's, but they're popular in Canada, and heck, Chicago's cold enough to be Canada, right?  (My son's at college there....wanted to be where it's cold....go figure...)    I have one Anita bra that I love; they are great bras, and the print is a bonus!  (That's what I love about the Freya bras; they're all so pretty with their prints and bows!)

LMichele - Interesting about your PS and his bra stance.  I've heard of PS's saying that bras weren't necessary for daily wear, but yours is the first to also add not even when running!  Although you obviously need to respect his opinion, also listen to your body.  I personally couldn't imagine running without a bra now, though I certainly could have in my pre-bc flat days!  

Meekone - thanks for the link about recycling bras!  What a wonderful opportunity for support and awareness of two VERY important issues facing many women!   (and it was such fun shopping with you in Vegas!)

Speaking of shopping, I will also confess to my shoe obsession.....and yes, I did buy a pair of shoes in Vegas....Wink......cute, kitten heel brown pumps......with a sort of "pythonesque" print.....

Christine47 - Congrats on getting through the nip recon!  That was the most worrisome time for me, as well, so I know what you're feeling.  My PS had me loosen the straps on my regular underwire bra (unlined), plus had me make little gauze donuts (no tape) that set around the nips.  That allowed the bra to not actually touch the nips, and any pressure on the nips is  what you don't want.  Those babies can be compressed back into nothingness quite easily at first!

Here's my two cents worth on wearing bras:  The reason for bra support is not only comfort, but also support of the implant position and skin integrity; gravity WILL (for all of us) lead to the skin stretching and consequent ripples, and until the capsule is adequately formed from scar tissue (which takes about 3-4 months), there's a great chance of implant migration - mostly lateral when sleeping, but also vertical from bouncing, even just walking around. 

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,273

Hi Bra friends.  I've been lurking all year and am now 5 weeks post exchange w/2 new gummies.  PS said I'd never need a bra but I've had to 'bind' to stop pain on the left side.  Switched surgical bra for sports bra last week but still uncomfortable.  Hopefully "this too will change".

Decided to try on my old 36DD Bali bras this week - underwire, stretchy, unlined.  Looks like the band is still correct and bras sit smoothly at the top pole & center - just extra material under the breasts.  Seemed a natural to hit the store and try 36D and 38D.  So depressing that the cups just saggged everywhere.  The underwire on the "C" cups cut into the implants.  Guess I'm just not ready to try on new things yet.  Maybe I'll have to fortify myself before the next shopping expidition instead of having a Bloody Mary afterwards.

I have written down lots of wonderful suggestions from all of you.  It was so much fun to hear everyone's shopping results.  Hope this thread will continue.

• minustwo

sorry for the double post

• Estel

MinusTwo - Welcome! 

Most of us need a "D" cup or bigger because the implants are wider than our natural breasts.  The cups definitely shouldn't sag.  For most of us, we'll have a little extra room at the tip of the cup, but they shouldn't sag.  Have you been able to go anywhere for a fitting like Nordstroms or a specialty bra/masectomy shop?  Go somewhere where they have a wide selection of sizes and try going down in the band and up in the cup ... like a 34, E, F cups.  It sounds huge, but we're not going to look huge ... again because of the width of the implants and they don't have the projection of our natural breasts.  

Hang in there!  xo 

• minustwo

Thanks Dawn Hope.  I know I shouldn't get discouraged so easily.  I appreciate your thoughts.

• LMichele
    LMichele Member Posts: 88

hey Jenny I had my surgery a day early! October 11. I am your same height Plus 20 pounds. Ribcage 31" I think. I had allergan expanders 400 cc's, filled to 400 from 200 day of BMX. I know the PS placed mentor 550 cc's but not sure which style. If he talked to me post surgery I don't remember. I'm pretty sure they are not high profile, probably moderate high. They look pretty good to me! No step offs, no ridges, good projection. Cleavage. Got compliments from the staff at the specialty bra shop I went to today!

I got 2 bras yay!
    I will post types later...
  • val61

Congrats, LMichele!!  Your "E-Day" was on my 25th (wedding) anniversary!   Sounds like you were in great surgical hands......glad to hear you're happy with your result.......and compliments from bra fitters just make the cake!  

Minus-Two - Don't despair, my dear! (though if doing so justifies a Bloody Mary, then go for it !Wink) Gummies are notorious for not fitting into bras, especially underwire, but there ARE ones that work, I promise!   Lilah is a great resource for gummies - she has one - and she also has a great bra thread on the pic forum.  No doubt she'll pop in here soon and give you a list.  Then I need to add them to my list that I need to update on the top of this thread.  I am WAY overdue for editing it!  (and I promise to shorten it, too! Smile)

• Val61

Special request. I have been following for some time. Just exchanged on the 17th and aside from a little arm swelling that resolved on its own I am doing ok. I was happy for the first few days then kind of lost it yesterday when I looked and saw pancakes with a buldge on the side. I went smaller for a number of reasons and while I am not lamenting that and I love the feel of the new foobs the shape is odd. My PS is a no wire kind of guys so I am in them now but I know I have on the wrong side and /or style for I don't think I am being supported. I order a few more supportative ones (still wire free) on line hope to have these soon My question is how soon can we get a fitting. I have both Nordys and some speciality bra shops just not sure when would be good to go. I don't go back to PS until Nov 2. Can I should I just stay in a compression sports bra for now?

• val61
    1. Liz - BREATHE!!!   First of all, congrats on your exchange!  The implants sure DO feel better than those darn expanders, don't they?  Now.....you just had your surgery a few days ago, and chances are you were bandaged up pretty tightly at first.   More than likely, what you're seeing is still some compression from that.  My PS had me wrapped as tight as a sausage for nearly a week, so that's not uncommon.  Once the skin relaxes a bit, the shape will follow.  HOWEVER, you certainly can help to mold that shape - or at least the pockets - with a supportive bra.  Underwire is ideal for that, but since your PS is a no-wire guy, then we'll go with that.  I would NOT recommend a compression sports bra - unless, of course, that's what your PS said to do - as that just squishes the implants, often without much lateral support.  It's perfectly fine to get fitted as soon as your drains are out - which may be already - that's what my PS does.  A couple of questions, though.....do you have IMF incisions?   Do you know what style implant you have (moderate, high profile, gummy)? 
  • Val

Thanks breathing now

I have mentor 550 moderate implants. He had me in a surgical bra until Wednesday for my appointment but then nothing after I left I was given some bras to go get all all soft cup but I am not happy with them. I think what I have is not right size and I am not really getting much help from the office. From my measurements I am a 34 1/2 and was wearing 36D prior to BC and not sure if that was too tight in band for I always had marks once the bra came off. I have tried 36D 38D and 36C in these soft bras (always wore underwires before BC and usually wore a bra 24/7). These soft bras are not supporting I can feel it so I am most likely going to go underwire regardless of what the PS states. I do not have IMF incisions.

• Estel

Liz - You might want to try a 36DD, or 36E.  

• Lilah

Minus-Two -- so sorry I missed your post about gummies and bras.  5 weeks post-exchange is still early for underwires. At 5 weeks post exchange I was wearing sports bras (I had a few Underscore sports bras from JC Penney that I had bought and worn during TEs), something called a Slimpressions bra (you step into it... it's sort of stretchy and comes S, M, L, XL...) that I bought on line (from herroom.com, I think, but they also have their own website), and the post-surgical bra my PS had given me (a Mirena -- NOT pretty).  Then at about 2 - 3 months (sorry I don't quite remember exactly) I did go out and shop for bras -- which was pretty depressing -- and kept myself to WIRELESS per instructions from my PS.  At that point I bought a Wacoal, wirefree Halo bra (all lace, stretchy) that I found on sale and a Black Chantelle (C-Chic wirefree) that I found that fit me -- I also ordered a wirefree Anita bra (they have a website where you can order online).  I pretty much wore these and the Slimpressions bra for the next several months.  I've also heard a lot of women praise the Wacoal Awareness wirefree bra (and my guess is, based on what you wrote about sizing, that you should be good with 36D or, if the cups are too big, maybe a 38C (which should be the equivalent to the 36D).

I wore wirefree bras until I was 8 months post-exchange... giving the implants and the underlying sutures plenty of time to heal.  Then I went to Nordstrom's and had a proper fitting. For me, the Wacoal Bras are among the best fit-wise... I've also been buying a lot of Freyas (I wear 38D in Wacoal but buy 38DD in Freyas for the extra width of the wires). 

At 5 weeks you're going to still have a lot of soreness... so the unwired bras are going to be gentler for now.

Hope this helps.

• Dawnehope

Thanks. It looks like the 36DD did the trick. I didn't get an appointment at Nordy's yet. I want to wait a few more weeks but I happened to be in Macys (for those Philly girls in Exton Square very large selection of sizes but not any really good manufactures) and a very kind sales women helped me. She was very sweet and measured me very gently and gave me an extra pat on my back which brought tears to my eyes. While my PS is not in favor of wires I really could not stand the lack of support with the wire free. I found a few that really seemed to support and the DD seems wide enough around the implants. Still no real projection so I ended up with stretchy ones to fill out the cups. I am several shades of yellow purple and black but I do not seem to be discomfort anymore once the foobs were stabilized in the new bras.

Thanks again for the support. I haven't posted any pictures yet maybe next week. It is very challenging for me to do so, I will just have to get over the fear

Liz

• minustwo

Lilah:  Thanks for your post.  My PS asst. said no underwire for 8 weeks.  I've been looking at the Wacoal Awareness online & I'll add Halo and will look for the Slimpressions.  I'm thinking I'll still need 36DD, but have one 38D that fits.  The Freya tip is good.  Looks like Macy's, Dillard's & Nordstroms all carry good choices.  Sounds like the gummys aren't going to be squished by a firm sports bras so I'm not causing any problems by pushing them flat.  Thanks for the update about soreness at 5 weeks.  I've been trying to decide the cause - still healing, seromas, truncal lymphedema, etc. - & have mostly decided to tough it out until my 8 week PS appointment.  Determining the "new normal" or what may really be a problem isn't easy.

Thanks again for your advice.  It's great to have someone who's gone before & is willing to share.  Jan

• Lilah

Jan -- my pleasure!  I daresay there is no way you will permanently squish a gummy implant :)  They are awfully firm and designed to hold their shape.  I found it took a long time for all the soreness to truly pass... but it does pass.  And I defiitely felt a real difference at around 3 months (for what it's worth).  I also have found over time that they are more flexible.  At first there was no movement at all... could not push the implant toward my native breast to accentuate cleavage, for example, but now I can (there is a small amount of play -- just enough).  Like everything else in BC, the healing process after exchange is definitely a test of patience. 

• Estel

Liz - I'm glad that you've found something that is comfortable.  It's very telling that you don't hurt now that your implants are encapsulated by a bra.  Take your time with the pics, post when you're ready.  I was really scared and embarrased to post mine at first.  But when I did, I found it very beneficial and therapeutic to have people post their comments.  It was encouraging.  You should know us by now ... we're not gonna bite and we're not a bunch of mean girls. Wink  xo  love to you!  

MinusTwo - I noticed that you have truncal lymphedema.  Be careful with bras.  Some of the ladies with truncal lymphedema swell worse when they wear bras.  Just know that it may be an issue and take note of your swelling and pain.     

• LMichele
    LMichele Member Posts: 88

Hi Liz, I see you are in my area... Did you ever hear of GieGie in Paoli. The gals there were awesome with me. I went last Friday, no appointment necessary, and they spent over an hour with me. Finding ones that cut low enough To be comfortable under the armpit area was my challenge. Also no loose pockets where nipples would be...

They have a large selection all price ranges I think. May want to check it out next time...

Go figure on bra sizes. I also have 550 implants and I wound up with 2 bras on 36 B and one 36 C.
  • Lmichele

Thanks I will have to check it out. I know the area but the shop is not familiar to me do you know if they recently changed names. I give up on bra sizes the new normal is anything but normal. I know it is too soon to know of the size for sure but I hope they settle soon for this is getting a little crazy.

Liz

• minustwo

Dawn Hope:  I hope I DON'T have truncal LE but it's one of the things I'm worrying about.  I've been following the LE thread but haven't been to a therapist yet.  Good heavens - did we ever have so much stuff to worry about before?  I'll go with Lilah's estimate that 3 months may be a turning point in the new normal.  Thanks for the concern.  Jan

• Estel
    MinusTwo - I so hope you don't have it either.  So far, wearing an underwire doesn't make mine worse but I watch and see and I only have swelling in my fingers, although my left arm has the classic 'full' and achey feeling.  Truncal is a little more iffy and touchy with the bra issue because the underwires come right where the swelling is at and could inhibit lymph flow  ... don't want anything to get worse if you do happen to have it.  xo
  • val61

Great conversations, ladies!  So glad y'all are helping each other out!  

Liz - happy to hear you're breathing again and have found a bra or two for the time being.  I completely understand your discomfort with wirefree bras - I'm much the same.  Just recently have I moved to wearing them at night instead of an underwire - and I'm two years post- exchange!  Most of the rest of the time, I'm in underwire, except for when I wear my trusty Ta Ta Tamer sports bra by lululemon.  That seems to offer me enough support, even w/o wire.  

MinusTwo - I knew Lilah would have some great advice!  Thanks, Lilah!  

Dawne-Hope - Thanks, too, for all your help!  You always offer such cheerful, helpful advice, too!

On a personal note, I'm ALMOST caught back up with all that returning home after traveling entails.  I must say, though, that the vacuum cleaner had a severe case of stranger anxiety, ....Wink

Perhaps this weekend, I'll have time to finally take some pics of the new bras I got in Vegas during the Ta Ta Sisterhood reunion bra shopping event.  I did end up returning a gorgeous plum lace Simone Perele bra and panty duo   - http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/simone-perele-celeste-underwire-demi-bra/3196119?cm_cat=datafeed&cm_ite=simone_perele_%27celeste%27_underwire_demi_bra:372952&cm_pla=underwear/lingerie:women:bra&cm_ven=Froogle&mr:referralID=NA&mr:trackingCode=703B6C81-DDDF-E011-8116-001517B1882A         The bra only comes in a 32 band at Nordies, but they offered to alter it for $12 - something good to know! - but guess what?........ http://www.herroom.com/     DOES carry it in just my size!  Perhaps when I deserve a special treat again, I'll choose that......

Wishing you all a wonderful week!!

• Lilah

Oooo Val that Simone Perele is so pretty!  Purple is my favorite color.

And you know I'm always happy to help!  You are most welcome.

• supersally
    supersally Member Posts: 158
    Val - that color is gorgeous!  Love, love the lace, too. Hmmm, they have 32E, that would probably work for me Wink
  • fightslikeagirl
    fightslikeagirl Member Posts: 7

Just wanted to report about my Bra fitting. I'm so excited! I went to Nordstroms and spent time with Jamie who knows her stuff.  she measured me and found a few styles for me to try on. My best fits were The Awareness Bra from Wacoal. I found  3 styles 2 underwire one without. When I looked in the mirror it just brought tears to my eyes. I was shocked at my reaction,  but I think it made me feel "normal" for the first time since all this started. I'm even more excited now for the nipple reconstruction. Isn't it amazing how something so simple as nice fitting bras can make one feel so fantastic! I'm so glad that my small pancake barely A-B cups finally settled into D's which surprised me even more, I was amazed. I'm thankful  my cancer was caught eary and taken care of. That above all is the best thing. but feeling a bit more like myself is an added bonus

• Estel

Beautiful bra, Val!  Purple is one of my favorite colors too!  I haven't tried too many demi's with my new breasts.  I've never tried a Simone Perele either but I'd like to try.  It was gorgeous!  Bet it was tough to let that one go!  Laughing

Lilah - Have you seen the new color of Freya "Lyla"?  I saw it and thought of you.  You like black bras, right?  I know she didn't work for Cameron but I wonder if it would work for her now since Arabella now fits her.  Anyway ... saw her and thought of you!  Wink

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product.asp?product=Freya-Lyla-Underwired-Plunge-Bra&product_id=FRA-AA4301&size=30D&colour=Black 

fightslikeagirl - So, so happy that you had a great fitting at Nordstroms!  Laughing  Totally understand the 'normal' feeling.  Getting back to feeling more like yourself ... awesome!  xo 

• fightslikeagirl
    fightslikeagirl Member Posts: 7

Morning Ladies. i read back a few pages. I've noticed a lot of comments about wearing bra 24/7. I had my exchange 1/24/11 and never was given advice to do so except maybe for a little bit after. I had some real issues with body swallowing my 800cc implants, Anyway, they were so small I could barely find anything to fit my 40barely a-b. My outcome is better as I posted above my size is a 40 D. Reading I now understand the size is for width. Lots of insight received. Wished I'd come on here  a year ago. I have to wonder if my left wouldn't be a bit low or my right feel a bit over to the right. My natural breasts were wide set so never thought about any cleavage. now I wonder if wearing a bra 24/7 right out of the exchange might have given me better placement. So going forward I will be wearing a bra even at night to make sure I maintain where I'm at.