Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

MinusTwo - So funny! I went nordies last week and had so much fun trying on shoes! I had a great salesperson and he totally made me feel like Cinderella! What is so funny is since this whole bc thing, my shoes have gotten higher (peep toe stilettos!!!!) and I've entered the world of European bras. :p

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

I am very excited my PS has told me to start wearing underwire bras. I have been working at Soma intimates since July and have not been able to wear any of the beautiful bras I sell. I think I will try every one of them on.

• Estel

Carrol2 - Do it! That really is the only way to know what is going to work for you now. Play with different sizes. Don't think, "Oh, that will never work." Play. Experiment. One of the best things that I ever did was try on tons of bras at Nordstroms. It doesn't say much for their sales people that particular day but I went in one evening after a class and there was no one there and I just started picking out various brands, sizes, and styles and spent over an hour just trying them all on. That experience was so helpful to me. I needed that time alone to see for myself what did and didn't work.

Try 'em all on, girl! And enjoy! Don't focus on what doesn't work, but on what DOES! Keep us posted and remember to have fun! xo

• Carrol2

Hey Cindy,

I ws going to try them on tody. I get i think four free because i work there, but i have to wait for my manager so maybe tomorrow. I'll let you know which ones i get. 

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,273

Did you all notice we're on 100 pages?

• Estel

MinusTwo - very cool! I hadn't noticed ... But here is to a hundred more! :)

• minustwo

Val:  Thanks for starting this thread.  I've read so many neat things.  Great new avatar.  Certainly relevant.  I had to look twice to see if it was really you.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,170

I stayed the same size after my one step reconstruction ( Natrelle style 15 457 cc's). I'm 3 months out from surgery and except for having to lose one nipple, look remarkably like I always did. My ps said it was up to me to wear a bra or not and mostly have been wearing camisoles. Yesterday, I was volunteering at a children's Hannukah festival and holiday boutique. Browsing the boutique I noticed that Bra Smyth had a booth ( a bit strange to see at the Jewish Community Center). I explained my situation to a sales women and she picked out a Le Mystere Tisha Lace bra for me. Went in to the makeshift fitting room to try it on. When I looked in the mirror I almost cried. I don't mind wearing camis but it looked so "normal" to be in a good quality pretty bra that fit perfectly. Best of all,they were selling them for $26.00! She found another in the same size so I bought two. They normally sell for $76.00 so I was thrilled. Who ever thought a bra would be a pivotal moment in my bc journey. Caryn

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Caryn -- love that story!  Thanks for sharing.

• minustwo

I'm going to try an Ahh Bra.  Which do you all recommend has a better return policy in case it doesn't work:  1)  Herroom or  2)  Bare Necessities.  Thanks in advance.  Jan

• Estel

MinusTwo - I think they are both equally good. The deciding factor for me would be does one have it cheaper than another? I've returned bras to both and both are good.

• minustwo

Dawn-Hope:  Thanks.  I think the price is the same.  It appears to be cheaper to buy 3 at the mfg site, but i want to try just one first to make sure the size is right.  Jan

• pinkbutterfly
    pinkbutterfly Member Posts: 130

Val61 and all fellow sisters,

I am just on the verge of being fitted (yay!!) I re-read the beginning post. I really like the molded cup bras, just wondering if you could explain further the pitfalls to avoid that lead to revisions, as I didn't quite understand. I am really happy with how close my new breasts are, and the general shape, though the height is uneven (rads on one side) and I get some rippling if I don't stand perfectly straight. Do you have any specific recommendations?

Thanks!

• Estel

Pinkbutterfly - The most common pitfalls are bottoming out and the implants drifting over to the armpits. Even with implants, gravity is not our friend and the implants can fall out of the pocket, a good bra can prevent that from happening and can also keep the implants from drifting over to the armpits. Think about it...there is nothing now to keep the implants front and center...a good underwire with side support helps keep the implant where your PS put it.

You do NOT want a bra that presses on the implant in the middle or on the sides. It is tricky sometimes to find one that does neither. The correct size is crucial and there is where an experienced fitter is so important...a too big of bra is not going to give you the support you need on the sides...too small and it is not going to give you the support you need. Most of us were wearing bras too big in the band and too small in the cup before all this .... so don't have band or cup shock when you get fitted. Generally, your band size is two inches larger than your rib cage circumference ... US bra manufacturers will say 4 inches, but European will say two ..and that makes more sense. Do we buy an clothes four inches bigger than our size? If so, you're really not getting the support you need and with reconstructed breasts support is ultra important. The band may be and feel, tighter than you're used to but you will get used to it. And most of us feel better with a properly fitted bra than without one. Again, just make sure it does not press on the implant in the middle or on the sides. Hope this helps!

Yay on being fitted! Keep us posted! Some ladies recently have bought some bras and worn it for a while and the middle part of the bra pressed hard on their sternum...a bra shouldn't do that...keep the tags on and wear the bras for a couple of hours to see how they feel after some time. If they dont work return them.

Keep us posted!

• Carrol2

I work at Soma Intimates since July and I have not been able to try their bras until today. I have been fitting all kinds of people with all kinds of issues so I was very prepared to fit myself yesterday. I was a 36DD pre BC and I am now a 36D. Today I am wearing Nadia Vanishing back and I love it. I got leopard with a front closure. The girls sit nice and high and my cleavage looks awesome. I can't wait until it's warmer and I cans how some off. Anyone in the Kansas City area if you come to Soma in Town Center to see me I will give you $20 off a $100 total purchase. PM for the number to make an appointment with me.

• Estel

Carrol2- that is awesome! Thank you! It's great that you found something that works for you too! :)

• pinkbutterfly

Thank you Dawne-Hope for the advice.

I never had more than a handful of bras in fairly plain colors. For some inexplicable reason, I now feel the need to own an entire wardrobe in various styles and colors. Go figure!

• Estel

Pinkbutterfly - Yes, there are a whole thread of women here just like you! I'm sure I have the best bra wardrobe in the county! :) Enjoy! And you go, girl! ;)

• pinkbutterfly

One more question. I know that Carrol2 works for Soma. I had never heard of them but thanks to you ladies, I have seen their merchandise and really hope I'll be able to wear some of those beautiful bras. My question is, between Nordstrom and Soma, which is the best place to get fitted? I am not near KS, so Carrol2 is not an option for me :-(

• Estel

Pinkbutterfly- Soma is a brand and they only carry Soma bras. They do not have 30 band sizes, so they don't work for me. Soma is good. Nordstroms carries several brands, not just one. And they have fitters who are specially trained to work with women who have reconstructed breasts. Call and make an appointment and ask for a surgical fitter. Nordstroms will also take insurance...some health insurance companies will pay for bras.

• pinkbutterfly

Ok, good point.

Thanks again!

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Carrol2 - Congrats on finally being able to wear an underwire bra. I am your fellow Soma associate.

Just bought the Emma in the lavendar. Said I wouldn't, but had to have it! I love purple. I have found the vanishing backs don't fit me too well. I need to try them on again but love the Selena and Emma as well as the Allura so don't worry too much about the vanishing back. Guess I need to post some new bra pics on the picture forum bra thread.

• Carrol2
    Delilahbear I got an Allura and an Emma too, but i love the vanishing back in leopard. I was surprised I was able to fit in them all pretty well. Some styles have a tiny little room in the cup like where the nipple would be, but i figure that will be good because i will be getting nipples.It almost seems like since I have been wearing the underwire bras that my foobs are taking on a nicer shape. Could be a coincidence, or maybe in my head.
  • Cameron
    Cameron Member Posts: 128

Carrol2:  Not a coincidence, you have boobs in training!  Underwire...it's our best buddy. 

I haven't been on this thread in awhile but I see even whippetmom is digging on Freya Faye!  HOLLAH!  It's one of my new faves.

I think I haven't been here in so long that I haven't mentioned Freya Sadie?  LOVE.  She is shaped like Freya Cindy, very gorgeous, and named after my adorable dog. Kiss 

Later, peeps!  Time to go to work. 

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317

I like Dawn Hope went to a private, mastectomy speciality bra shop.  They took care of submitting my paperwork to insurance and I am allowed 6 free bras a year.  I had reconstruction.  Nordstrom told me that they do not take insurance for reconstruction, so I never went.  The specialty store was 20 miles away, but for free bras...I take the drive. :)

I was fitted and we selected 4 bras. I am going back this month for the other 2.

• Estel

CorinneM - That's marvelous that you got some bras that work!  Laughing

Maybe Nordstroms, when you talked to them, misunderstood and thought you were talking about augmentation because they DO take insurance for women who have had MX and the reconstructive surgeries.  There are women on here who have gotten bras at Nordstroms and it was paid by their insurance companies.

What were the style #'s and brands of the bras you got, Corinne?  

On the bra thread we need to know such things!  Wink 

• minustwo

I bought one bra at Nordstroms before exchange while I was still in the TE phase.  I did have an Rx from my doc for 6 bras per year.  The Amoena bra cost $54.00.  I paid up front & Nordstroms filed the paperwork.  It took awhile but eventually medicare paid $27.05.  Supplemental Ins paid $26.95.  Wahoo.  The Nordstrom's fitter was VERY patient & brought me at least 40 bras to try.  I'll go there again if I can ever stop wearing compression/athletic bras.  Jan

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Dawne-Hope -- it depends on what your insurance is, whether Nordstrom's can process claims FOR you.  My insurance, for example, they said they could not and gave me forms (pre-filled in for me) to send to my insurance.  I should have sent the forms in but I didn't.  I just didn't want to go through the trouble just to receive a "no" -- which was possible.  Every insurance company has different coverages for bras (and some don't cover).

• pinkbutterfly

I think it mostly depends on who your insurance carrier is. They do take/file insurance, bit if they aren't a provider with your carrier, you would incur the out of network benefit. For me, that would be nothing, since I'd have to meet a large deductible first. They did offer to fill out the forms so I could submit them, but I don't think I'll bother since they aren't going to cover it.

Those who've been to mastectomy shops, do they have a large selection typically on-site, or do you have to order and make multiple visits? And do you need a prescription for the bras?

• Estel

Lilah - my point was that Nordstroms DOES take insurance. Thank you and pinkbutterfly for clarifying how it works.

Pinkbutterfly - The mx bra shops I've been in are also specialty bra shops and they had quite a selection. The one I was in did ask if I had insurance, which I didn't ...so I presume that it did take some kinds of health insurance. The key here, I think, is ask. Anyone else have experience at a Mx bra store that could answer pink's question?