Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• kickitmom
    kickitmom Member Posts: 29

val61 - Thank you lady!  Went bra shopping today and did find one that fit pretty good with these TEs -Body by VS Demi.  Waited to buy though until after appt with PS in a few days.  Last few days have been emotional - thank you for your words of encouragement and congrats 2 years post-exchange! 

• brca1953
    brca1953 Member Posts: 15

Yes, I'll keep trying on bras and hopefully will find one that fits and covers the scars and looks good under clothes.  I know that's a lot to ask.  I use to wear soma bras but there is no store here so can't go in to try them on.  I wanted to go smaller so I went from a DD to whatever I am now.  Thanks for you ideas

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

val - Congratulations on two years out!  Laughing  Who knew you'd get a workout just to see your PS?  Tongue out  I'm fascinated that just now you're seeing ripples.  I saw my first ripple two weeks out of exchange.  I never see them in a bra but they're very evident without one.  Again, congratulations!!  xo

• olearca
    olearca Member Posts: 65

I can NOT wait to join you ladies!  Bras....ahhh, so fun to read all of your posts (I lurk here all the time and love dreaming about fancy bras and matching panties) Embarassed

I posted this on the implant board, but then realized all of you lovely ladies had already been through exchange and that this might be a better place to post.  I wanted to ask if there is a 'general' rule of restriction post exchange??  I am scheduled for exchange 10/27 and can't meet with my PS until 10/3 for getting my long list of questions answsered.  The main thing I wanted to ask is what kind of "physical restriction" if any did you all experience?  I'm trying to see if I can be at a work function the next night, for example, or whether I can continue an exercise program (I'm in livestrong pilot program) and I figured I wouldn't be able to lift /arm exercise but could continue with abs, lower body - but for how long after exchange?? 

any guidance or your experience(s) would be appreciated - I do realize my situation is individual and I will have to confer with my PS on his instructions, but I'm just trying to gauge some general guidelines as I am planning my calendar.

thanks much, Catherine

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317

Olearca--

You are correct knowing that you will get a bunch of different responses here.  People's cases are very different so the advice will vary too.

I was given the green light to exercise after 1 week.  I was told that I would be able to go back to following Monday (had surgery on a Friday) which I did.  I wouldn't have been able to make any functions the evening of the surgery as I get sick from painkillers.  However, I have read here of women that went out for dinner that night with no issues.  

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Olearca:  Depends on the amount of work your PS has to do!  You should NOT plan to be going out the next night.  Slow and easy for at least 2 weeks for the best results.  You might feel great but any reaching, pulling, lifting, stretching, moving can undo what you just had done.  Also, I couldn't even open my car door comfortably for almost a month and driving didn't feel safe due to reaction time also for about a month.  Many have had problems even just walking with their new breasts--you don't want to do anything to make them jiggle excessively.  Working out may be delayed for awhile and all of these questions must be addressed by your PS.  Try hanging out on Exchange City where you can add your name to list of ladies in waiting for implant exchange.

• olearca
    olearca Member Posts: 65

Thank you all for the great info - no JIGGLING - got it!  I will post over on Exchange city (thanks for the tip as I didn't have it on my radar).  Oh, i hope to be wearing a bra one of these days - that isn't surgical or sports related. 

Thanks again for answering my question.  I think I now know my expectations for "doing" all that I planned the next day and week are probably not realistic.  Wink

• SuebeeBC
    SuebeeBC Member Posts: 545

Val - congrats on two years!!!! Yippe that is wonderful!

I get my nip next week - a whole new set of worries, challenges, and excitement!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Val -- wtg on reaching the 2 year mark!!!

• MBJ

Val:  Wow, two years!!!  What a great feeling!!!  Congratulations!

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Happy Friday, my bra-loving friends!  Smile

Welcome, olearca!  We welcome lurkers and posters alike!  You've already received lots of good advice about post-exchange restrictions.  I'll just add that it is very much dependent on your PS.  Mine was extremely conservative about post-exchange movement:  no exercise for 2-3 weeks, then only a recumbent bike (no foob bouncing), no vacuuming, no wiping counters, (loved those rules....wish I still had them!), and of course, his biggie:  wearing an extremely tight underwire bra 24/7.  Smile As MBJ said, a lot depends on the amount of pocket-work done; that's the source of much of the "discomfort." That being said, I was back teaching my Jazzercise classes in seven weeks - though admittedly at a diminished intensity - but truly back to full out a month later, I'd say.  Baby steps.......

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!  Hope you're enjoying the beginnings of some fall weather like we are here!  It's about darn time!

• CorinneM1

Well I am off today to my first professional fitting.  I am going to a store that specializes in post-mastectomy fittings.  Spoke to the woman on the phone twice, she is helping me with forwarding/billing insurance etc.  Loved speaking with her--she has been doing this for over 25 years!

Finally I will see what my "cup" size is.  I am expecting a C or D. 

• hondagirl
    hondagirl Member Posts: 26

CorinneM1-that is very exciting!  Can I ask what store you found that specializes in post-mastectomy fitting?  I went to Nordstrom and they were helpful but I still think I would have felt better going to someone who specialized in BC patients.

• Denise2730
    Denise2730 Member Posts: 320

I found my VS bra's called Body by Victoria lightly lined helps disguise the fact that you have no nipples and you don't notice that little extra emptiness in the front of the bra.

I tried my pre BC bra a little while ago and while I don't fill it out when I put clothes on you can't tell. (I will be ready for EX soon.)

• CorinneM1

I am in Chicago and I am going to a place called Schwartz's. 

• val61

Welcome Corinne and chiluvr!  So happy your found us!  And speaking of getting professionally fitted, check out this video that was shared by a fellow BCO sister on FB:  

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/clickToGive/bcs/article/Breast-Cancer-the-Musical408&origin=BCS_FACE_FAN_ADGROUP_BLOG_musical_9-24_CTG 

Pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?    Smile

• Estel

Love it!  Laughing  Hadn't seen that before .... it made me laugh and then not feel so guilty for this new ... what do we call it?  passtime?  hobby?  obsession?  Wink 

• Lilah

It's wonderful Val!

• CorinneM1

Oh that made my day!  Thanks for posting.

• val61

Hey, bra buddies! Sure wish y'all could have joined the 10 Ta Ta Sisters who joined me at Nordies yesterday! We had a fantastic time and have beautiful bras to show when we get home from Vegas! Nordies even had Chanel and Smashbox makeup artists in the lingerie dept who gave us mini makeovers! I, of course, bought 4 bras with matching knickers:). Will tell more when I get home to a real computer. One more night here then back home tomorrow. TTFN!

• Estel
    can't wait to see them!  Smile
  • val61

Hey, ladies!   You'll have to wait awhile for me to post pics (on Lilah's thread) of my new bras.....Frown  This week is WAY too crazy, and I leave this weekend for one more trip!  This one is with my sweet DH in celebration of our 25th anniversary, though, so it's bound to be fun!  Y'all take care of each other - as you always do - and I'll check in when I can!   

Oh, I almost forgot to add......I got to meet the wonderful hillck in Vegas!  She managed to join us for most of Sunday, which was such fun!   Smile

• Estel

Happy Anniversary, Val!  You've had a big birthday and now a big anniversary!  Blessings, dear sister!  xoxo

• CorinneM1

I forgot to post the styles/brands of the bras that I just got.

Grenier style 8495, its an underwire, which I like.  I am not digging the extra wide straps

Genier style 8564, no wire, which I don't like.  Thin straps which I do.

Anita style 5731X.  Super cute with floral print.  But its a floral print.  Can't wear under white tee.

Wacoal style 856192.  This is my favorite.  Looks great under tee shirts, soft padding, thinner straps.  If I go back for more, I am going to get this one in black (currently have in beige).

• MBJ

Val:  Congratulations on 25 years-what, did you marry in high school??!! You look soooo young!

• Lilah

Happy Anniversary Val!

• LMichele
    LMichele Member Posts: 88

Hi All,

Been lurking for months!

Exchange from TE's to silicone next week...

My experience has been I don't need any support I do wear a bra or cami 24/7 because I don't like the VERY STRANGE feeling of clothing on foobs.

I have been wearing cami's for everyday and sport bra or double bra for running.

My PS says I don't need a bra after. Even for running. Unless I want to.

This is at UPenn.

I don't know what I will decide but I wanted to chime in to the debate!

By the way I am 5'8 and about a bcup, or nowadays 400 cc's TE. :)
  • Estel

CorinneM1 - Thanks for sharing your new stash with us!  I've never heard of the first two.  But we have some Wacoal and Anita lovers on here!  Laughing  Glad you've found some that you like.  The great bra hunt, while frustrating at first, is ultimately a lot of fun!  Wink

LMichele - I didn't wear anything but camis with my TE's.  It hurt to have anything touch them or press on them at all.  That's not true now that I have had my exchange surgery.  Do you have alloderm to help support the implants?  Yep, like the header says ... PS's are all over the place on this issue.  I've found since my exchange that I hurt if I DON'T wear a bra but we're all different. Congrulations on your upcoming exchange!  

• LMichele
    LMichele Member Posts: 88

Dawne, nope no alloderm... (not even sure what that is). I have been holding off on buying ANYTHING but cheap cami's till I'm settled. Was not expecting what I heard from PS! I think I will be on this thread more....

• Estel

LMichele - Some PS's use alloderm to provide a 'sling' for the implants - to keep them supported because now with no breast tissue, there really isn't anything there to support them, to hold them up.  Gravity isn't our friend, even with implants.