Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• hondagirl
    hondagirl Member Posts: 26

Well that is encouraging news Deliliahbear.  My left w/o alloderm is much softer and looks like more of a natural shape of a breast but I can feel that it isn't as supported.  The right with alloderm is much tighter and less squishy :-).  I hope it softens and drops a bit over time.  I think I might go to a female PS to get a second opinion on what she thinks too.  I did that midway through and it was a very different experience than discussing it with my current male doc.  Go figure.

• redskyatnight
    redskyatnight Member Posts: 80

hondagirl,

I have alloderm on both sides placed at BLMX w/ TE's. Now I am seven weeks post-exchange and both sides feel the same, so I can't really compare. Saw PS last week and he wants to wait another six weeks to allow some softening before doing my nipple reconstruction. 

• hondagirl

Redskyatnight,

I wish my PS was as quick as yours.  Mine told me I had to wait at least 6 months to a year before I could do tatoos and to wait longer if I wanted a revision on the one without alloderm so that the nipples would be even across.  A little frustrating that I had hoped I would celebrating a full circle moment soon but will now have to wait longer.  I guess this BC thing isn't always the most predictable. Glad to hear things seem to be going as planned for you and you can move forward with the nipple reconstruction part. I am looking forward to getting there soon too!

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

hondagirl:  I have Alloderm on one side and it does feel a bit thicker at the scar line but it holds it up beautifully.  I do massage it quite a bit.  The tattoo artists recommend waiting at least 6 months for tattoos.  I had a graft for areola and a modified CV flap for the nipple and she told me this would prevent shrinkage and allow for better placement as they are still dropping druing this time.  For radiated breasts they recommend waiting longer.  It's worth the wait!

• hondagirl

MBJ-

Is your scar across or underneath where the fold is? Is the non-alloderm side squishier than the alloderm side?  I am worried that mine is too soft and I will end up having to have a lift and alloderm replaced.  My PS said that the non-alloderm side could continue to drop but that generally happened with larger implants. Mine are 450 which seems big to me! I don't know how big of implants they use for women with reconstruction vs. augmentation.  Thanks for the info on the nipple/tatoo. It is hard to wait but I know that it will be worth it in the end!

• MBJ
    hondagirl:  Since I am a Uni, my non Alloderm side is only an augmentation and it is more squishee.  My scar tissue is across the breast.  However, my DH can barely tell the difference between the two, Wink
  • redskyatnight
    redskyatnight Member Posts: 80

Hondagirl,

My nipple reconstruction will be done at three months post-exchange, but the tattoos will be done later-a few months after the nipples. I did not have radiation btw. My implants are around the same size as yours: 425 high profile and 460 extra high profile ( on the cancer side/side where the imf was lowered).

• hondagirl

MBJ- If he can't tell the difference b/w the two,the UNI must be pretty squishy Smile.  Lucky you!  I hope mine softens as time goes on too. 

redskyatnight- That is awesome you were able to do the nipple reconstruction so soon after.  I think there is something about the nipple part that is key for me and feeling complete again so I am looking forward to that part.  I think my PS must just be conservative on when he likes to proceed to the next step.  I also have a history of infection so I need to take extra time and make sure I am nice and healed up before I tackle another surgery.  I debated on nipple construction or just tatoos but wasn't sure how they get back in once it is all completed?  I am 39 so I know that I will have to have my silcone ones replaced again.  I did not have radiation either and also have high profile.  I didn't realize they had an extra high profile...mine are mentor.

• MBJ
    redsky: many women have their nipples done at 3 months but some don't have the full drop (like myself until 4-6 months) hence the wait.  I actually waited 7 months for mine.  It was more important for me since I am a Uni to wait.  You don't want them too high or in the wrong place Surprised
  • Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Tried on VS's "Unforgettable" bra 2day ... and it was awesome! 

Totally thought of you, MBJ!

It's a push-up, very soft, very comfortable with tiny a tiny rosette on each strap.  

It's a great bra for you uni gals!  And some of the colors have rhinestones on them!  Kiss

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Cool     HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

redsky - I LOVE the Freya Arabella!  I alternate between that one and an Eleanor to sleep in - they're that comfy!  Mine is black with lighter pink bows (and I do have the matching undies), but I'll keep a watch out for ones that match yours!

MBJ - Wish you were coming to Vegas, too!  

hondagirl - Welcome!   So glad you found us!  This group of women is full of info, so I hope we're helping!  I don't have any Alloderm at all, so I can't speak to that issue.  What I can address is that revisions are almost always more painful that the original exchange, but (at least for me) if was worth every hydrocodone and soma that I took.  I also completely understand your need to feel complete; believe me, we've all been there (or are trying to get there!)  I actually had my nips done about 3 1/2 months after my  left-side revision; that made my original side 7 1/2 mos.  Be patient, though, especially if you have infection issues.  Although the tatoo nips are great - especially if the skin can't handle a flap or graft - in my opinion, the tiny bit of contour that the surgically contructed nips give makes the world of difference.    Hang in there!

• slinky
    slinky Member Posts: 166

Does anyone know where I can donate bras? I would prefer to donate to women with breast cancer....thanks!

• Estel

slinky - I don't know where to donate bras for women with breast cancer.  If you find out, let us know.  Last year, Linda the Bra Lady from New York City held a drive for bras to be given to women in Haiti.  I sent in all my still wearable pre-BC bras during that drive.  I'm not sure if they're still doing it, but you can check her website if you're interested.  I've also given bras to my local homeless shelter for battered women.  

www.lindasonline.com

If you find out anything, let us know! 

• slinky

Dawnehope, I usually donate all my clothes to womens shelters so I may end up doing that.  But before I do, I think I will call my local hospitals that have breast cancer centers - they may have donation sites.  I will post if I find out anything positive.

• MBJ

Dawne-Hope:  Very retro!  I like it, must try it!!!

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

There is a website called "pinkstock" that you can access and send bras there for breast cancer patients. I think the BC person who runs it is "purplemb".

the websites is:  www.pinkstock.webuda.com 

I have donated them to Soma who gives them to the local Safe Place and Rape Crisis Center.  It is an organization for battered women to go to and they help them get to a safe residence, get jobs and in general get their lives turned around. They also take household goods as they help the clients (both men and women) to set up apartments when they get their jobs. 

I have also sent a few mastectomy bras to some members on this site that needed certain sizes.

• slinky

Thanks, Delilahbear, I will look into the site.  All the bras are pre-BMX - hopefully will make someone feel pretty!

• hondagirl

So ironic you posted this question. I just pulled out my old bras from the drawer yesterday wondering what I was going to do with them. Thanks for the tips!

• Estel

Any 36D's ... found this on Figleaves for $15 ... Freya 'Millie'  Lilah??

http://www.figleaves.com

Slinky - It's also available in a 30G.  Or would that be big for you? 

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Might be worth a try for me Dawn -- not sure I can do 36D in a Freya but $15 is worth a try :)

Thanks!

Edited to add: what a gorgeous bra Dawne!  Unfortuntely... several reviews mention that the cups seem to run small... and while I'm confident I can wear the 36 I'm not sure I can do the D (might need a 36DD).

• brca1953
    brca1953 Member Posts: 15

I went to the website listed in the intro to this post and I am a B according to them when measuring from center to edge of implant.  But I am still having problems finding a bra that does not have too much fabric at the tip or point.  I just don't fill it up.  Does anyone have any favorite brands that are shallow cupped?  I live 500 miles from the nearest Nordstoms so getting fitted there is out.  The local Macy's has sized me but I don't fill out any bras they have.  The VS had one that fit one side ok but not the other and it was a plunge bra so my scars showed on both breasts in the center (not pretty as they are still pretty red).  I am sick of my sports bra (Lululemon tata tamer).  I'd try ordering on-line if I thought I could return what did not fit.  I'd appreciate any suggestions.

• MBJ

brca:  Can you post your measurments so that maybe we can help?

• Estel

brca - I agree with MBJ ... what are your measurements, eg; ribcage circumference, and the size of your implants?  What size are you wearing in the tata tamer?  Search for a specialty bra/masectomy shop in your area.  I've done really well getting fitted at those type of shops. 

Know that it's not likely that you're going to completely fill out a cup ... especially on your MX side (are you a uni?).  All of my bras ... there is room at the tip of the cup because the whole areola complex is gone.   

• brca1953
    brca1953 Member Posts: 15

My ribcage measurement is 32, bust 38 and center to end of implant is about 10.  I have 650 mentor high profile if I remember what was on the card.  The tata tamer I am wearing is a 36C and I don't fill out the tip in it either but it looks ok under clothes.  I had a bi-lateral on 3/17/11 with the exchange on 7/20/11 so I guess I'll continue to change a bit.  I have some extra fluff under 1 left side that Dr. will fix when I have nipples reconstructed.  I don't have a date for that yet, I'm sort of tired of surgeries at the moment.  I'll be seeing my Dr. 10/3 though.  I had to move 3 months ago and am not familiar with any specialty shops here maybe if I call the hospital they might have a cancer shop.  I know they did at the hospital I had my surgery in Portland, Or. 

• kickitmom
    kickitmom Member Posts: 29

Ladies, I have not had my exchange yet, but at the end of my expansions.   Thank you for the great information!  I feel a bit a head of the game with what I know about bras post exchange now.  I do believe my PS said I don't have to wear a bra at all, but it is nice to know the reasons some do recommend wearing one.  I think I will probably wear a bra, to help hide my nips.  I currently use silicone nipple covers from VS with a bandeau bra.  I need to go out and try on some more bras.  I currently don't have one that fits.  These TEs seem so wide and I worry it will be hard to find a bra and I might get one more expansion.  So I have put it off.  Do you think I will fill out a bra post exchange with high profile or moderate-plus(midrange 15s)  implants?  I had a NS mastectomy.  Jo - we move alot and I always hate to try and find out where new stores are.  You are in my thoughts and I hope you have success in finding just the right bra. 

• MBJ

brca:  I would try bras with a bit of fiber fill like T-Shirt Bras with molded cups or padded cups.  Demi Cups might hid the scars better then a plunge would.  I like the VS Cotton Bras, however, size down as they run big.  Ignore the size you are wearing and experiment with going down in the band size and up in the cup.  It might feel a bit tight at first but you might fit better in a 34 band.  I got a fitting at Nordstroms and it wasn't so great--I went to a few stores and just started trying on lots and lots of bras and found that I was all over the place depending on the mfr.  The most important thing is to buy a quality bra.  You can find them at a discount at Marshalls, TJ Max, Kohls, etc. 

• val61

brca - Believe me, you are not alone.  You are dealing with a problem that plagues many of us - not filling out the center of unlined bras.  I deal with it, too.  Molded bras do help, since they don't take their shape based on your body.  With your measurements, I'd also put you at a 36C;  however, manufacturers differ in sizing.  It's certainly worth trying a smaller band size, but staying in a C cup.  If you do that, Warners runs bigger in the cups.  VS and Natori run a bit smaller in the cups - at least to me, so try those in a 36C.  The other thing that will help is to choose a "demi" style bra.  They are cut lower - but not too low to show scars - so have less upper pole fabric to fill.  They work best for me, too, and I also have the high profile implants. 

• val61
    kickitmom - Hang in there, girl!  You're almost there!  And yes, you'll fill out a bra even with moderate plus implants.  I know someone who has them and she doesn't have any trouble at all.  I have high profile - as do a lot of us - and we can find bras to fit.  Essentially, there's a bra out there everyone, it just might take some work to find it! Smile
  • val61

Almost forgot to add......I saw my PS yesterday for another checkup.  I just love that guy........I even walked up six double flights of stairs to reach him yesterday since the building power was out! (hospital construction across the street cut a main power line).  Anyway, I'll be two years post-exchange in exactly a week......hard to believe THAT!  I'm starting to get the teensiest, tiniest bit of rippling on my right (the non-revised, non-stitched-to-my-ribs side) - which is only visible when I'm not in a bra - which he said is to be expected because of my "ultra thin skin." (his words exactly)  Sadly, that's something that many of us have to contend with.  He said to keep up the good work with the bras - sounds like a dentist talking about oral hygiene, doesn't it?  - to keep it as minimal as possible. 

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

kickitmom - I have moderate profile plus mentor saline implants and have no real trouble with bras. I wear mostly Soma bras - also work there so more affordable. I did not have NSM, but had nips with grafted areola. Some bras I don't fill out the tips, but in some of the contoured ones I do and the minimizers have a bit of stretch so fill those out as well. Just have to try on many to decide what works and what doesn't. Each of us is different. Good luck with your exchange.